• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
A well done CS4 announcement wouldn't just mention the title, so I'm fine with not hearing anything about it until I get a chance to experience CS3 PC.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Has Durante just teased a Trails from Zero and Cold Steel 4 port in his AMA? 🤔

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm/deny if the amount of voice acting in Cold Steel 3 is increased in the dub over the original Japanese voice acting? Aka. Extra voiced lines

I'm getting the PC release and wanted to know what to expect ahead of time

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
image0.png

Has Durante just teased a Trails from Zero and Cold Steel 4 port in his AMA? 🤔

No, he teased Zero, Azure, and Cold Steel 4! He threw in the numbers zero (Trails from Zero) and four (Cold Steel 4), but what's a number more than zero and less than four? Three! Three games! That leaves room for Zero's sequel, too, because why port over the first game, only?

More seriously, I have no idea what Durante is working on. If NISA did pick up Crossbell Kai, I'd imagine they'd release it on PS4 first and maybe wouldn't have PC ports in development from the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really getting tempted to go through CS1 prior to the Zero geofront release after finishing Sky 3rd a few weeks back but I'm convinced Zero will drop mid playthrough.

I'm also worried that CS1->Zero may not be optimal. I asked this back in the summer but it seems like people couldn't come to a conclusion, some people said CS spoils Crossbell, others said the opposite. Seems like you can't win.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone confirm/deny if the amount of voice acting in Cold Steel 3 is increased in the dub over the original Japanese voice acting? Aka. Extra voiced lines

I'm getting the PC release and wanted to know what to expect ahead of time
Most likely not happening as nothing of the sort has been said with the port's announcement.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really getting tempted to go through CS1 prior to the Zero geofront release after finishing Sky 3rd a few weeks back but I'm convinced Zero will drop mid playthrough.

I'm also worried that CS1->Zero may not be optimal. I asked this back in the summer but it seems like people couldn't come to a conclusion, some people said CS spoils Crossbell, others said the opposite. Seems like you can't win.

CS1 definitely has zero ao spoilers in at least one plot event and more if you read newspapers

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

It's generally agreed upon that they spoil each other to some degree. I think it's Ao and not Zero though, since Zero primarily takes place before CS1 starts.

I'd default to release order unless you just really want to start CS1 though, since that's the intended play order. Given that Falcom originally intended to move straight from Liberl to Erebonia and then decided to fit Crossbell in the middle (and then decided to do 3rd) they clearly felt Crossbell's story was something that needed to be told first.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Zero is barely acknowledged in CS1 in a single newspaper issue that says very little. It's Ao/Azure that references events from Cold Steel and Cold Steel 1 and 2 reference moments from Ao/Azure.

In terms of how spoilery it gets, well, it depends. Zero and Ao released first, so the notion that both spoil each other that you see so often mentioned is faulty to begin with as every element referenced in Ao that pertains to Cold Steel is knowledge that you are supposed to have. But considering how most of us played CS 1 and 2 without Crossbell, it's understandable that some people have fondness for some twists and turns that weren't really twists and turns if you've played Crossbell before.

I think Ao/Azure spoils significantly less than CS1 and 2 do, as only two text crawls and one conversation (from memory, might be slightly off) deal with Cold Steel events, but it does reveal what the conflict is and the result of said conflict, which is why the opinion that both spoil each other is so widespread, but CS1 and 2 are far more liberal about it directly showing events happening in Crossbell, and revealing villains as well as the final dungeon itself. While context is often missing, you get a fairly decent mapping of how Ao unfolds event wise, even if the details are kept from being addressed for the most part.

To put it simply, Ao teases Cold Steel, Cold Steel references Ao. Both arcs make the player aware of certain things happening in the plot of the other arc, that's unavoidable. Which option is better, is, for better or worse, different for everyone. I prefered not knowing things I should know playing Cold Steel first, and regretted knowing certain things having played Cold Steel first. You win some and lose some regardless in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed replies guys.

I'll stick it out and wait for the Zero Geofront translation. It seems like the Crossbell games spoil a lot less than the Cold Steel ones do.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I only have access to a PSP English version of Zero. Is it even worth it to play this version I know I am missing out on voice overs which isn't a problem for me.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I only have access to a PSP English version of Zero. Is it even worth it to play this version I know I am missing out on voice overs which isn't a problem for me.
The Geofront patch is going to be available for PSP, it just won't have any of the extra features. Just the updated script. Not as good as playing the PC version, but you should still play it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I had intended to reserve judgment until hearing more of the performance for myself, but I can pretty much agree with people who don't like the English voice for Campanella in CS3. Doesn't suit him, and sounds more like an evil Elliot than anything else.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hated Campanella's voice in the trailers but after playing the game I thought he was alright.

In other news, I'll be crying with Mishy plush for a while over the continued lack of a CS4 announcement.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Campanella was the weakest link which is unfortunate because his voice actor is really good in all the other roles I've heard him in.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I saw that the Trails series is on sale on Humble right now. Would I be okay starting with Trails of Cold Steel? I don't want to be completely lost.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that the Trails series is on sale on Humble right now. Would I be okay starting with Trails of Cold Steel? I don't want to be completely lost.
You can. Release order is ideal but you can either go back and play the older games after Cold Steel 2, or if you decide you just don't care about the connections, character development, and worldbuilding you can skip them entirely.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

You can do this one of two ways:
1. Sky series -> Cold Steel series
2. CS1 -> CS2 -> Sky series -> CS3

I think by the time you get decently into either path, Zero will be ready for release. So when that rolls around, you can slot it in like so:

1. Sky series -> Zero -> Cold Steel series
2. CS1 -> CS2 -> Sky series -> Zero -> CS3

I haven't played the Ao fan translation, some people vouch for it, so if you're willing to deal with that, hit us up whenever you are ready.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The first two Cold Steel games are fairly self contained, and CS 1 is a good starting point. With CS3, elements from the older games, both the Sky trilogy and the Crossbell games start playing a bigger role, but for CS1 and 2 alone, that shouldn't be a big issue. The Crossbell games and the Cold Steel games have some overlap in their time lines and so there are mild spoilers there

Diablos54

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished streaming my CS1/2 replays so it's FINALLY time to play CS3! Between those and Crossbell I probably played about 380 hours of Kiseki in 2019 all in prep for this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, thinking at least slightly better of the English Campanella after
the fight and conversation on the roof of Orchis Tower.
Also, Alisa's Gabriel Arrow S-Craft leaves nowhere near as much of an impression as Radiance Arc did back in CS2.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, thinking at least slightly better of the English Campanella after
the fight and conversation on the roof of Orchis Tower.
Also, Alisa's Gabriel Arrow S-Craft leaves nowhere near as much of an impression as Radiance Arc did back in CS2.
They probably realized her growing wings made absolutely no sense.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I'm almost at the end of Cold Steel 2 now (though I've thought I was for the past 8 or so hours of gameplay).
A bit before the epilogue began left me very lost since I only started with Cold Steel and its probably the most I've felt like I should have played the series in order.

Since I've played CS1&2 back to back I'm thinking I might play through a buffer game before I jump in to 3, but I think that's very much depending on what kind of cliffhanger this ends on

I'm finding it hard to think of which I prefer out of the 2 games since its felt a lot more like one really (really) long game since I jumped straight in to 2. I definitely engaged with more side stuff this time, and I was only about 20 points from A0 rank this time compared to finishing the first game A2 or 3.
I still haven't really engaged with the fishing stuff outside of one sidequest but I definitely tried to have more conversations with the NPCs and really appreciated how much they changed over the course of the game.

I think by the time credits finally roll it'll be 15-20 hours shorter than my playtime for 1, but I don't think thats a bad thing at all

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I'm starting to think I'm still an hour or so from the end of Cold Steel 2.

I also spent too long attempting to do a certain sidequest in the epilogue and have now come to terms with the fact I've lost my button mashing skills

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think there's any chance we could see Xseed porting the Sky trilogy to PS4? I'm hesitant to buy them on PC because I like all of my games on one platform (PlayStation). I started my Trails journey with CS1 and 2 on Vita

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
PC is the only platform guaranteed to eventually allow for playing them all in one place. Either way, given just how burnt the bridges are between XSeed and Falcom at this point, I don't picture the former doing much else with the franchise.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is not Kiseki but I'm playing Tokyo Xanadu in my Vita and damn, is good. I regret avoiding it because I heard bad things about it.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost at the end of Cold Steel 2 now (though I've thought I was for the past 8 or so hours of gameplay).
A bit before the epilogue began left me very lost since I only started with Cold Steel and its probably the most I've felt like I should have played the series in order.

Since I've played CS1&2 back to back I'm thinking I might play through a buffer game before I jump in to 3, but I think that's very much depending on what kind of cliffhanger this ends on

I'm finding it hard to think of which I prefer out of the 2 games since its felt a lot more like one really (really) long game since I jumped straight in to 2. I definitely engaged with more side stuff this time, and I was only about 20 points from A0 rank this time compared to finishing the first game A2 or 3.
I still haven't really engaged with the fishing stuff outside of one sidequest but I definitely tried to have more conversations with the NPCs and really appreciated how much they changed over the course of the game.

I think by the time credits finally roll it'll be 15-20 hours shorter than my playtime for 1, but I don't think thats a bad thing at all

Did you beat any of the super hard side bosses? I am in Act 2 Part 3 and I have beaten one but the rest just seem so much stronger than me....not sure how I feel about them but hose Lost Arts are super good it seems (I got the one that heals everyone for 200% and it's amazing for boss fights.

I know this is not Kiseki but I'm playing Tokyo Xanadu in my Vita and damn, is good. I regret avoiding it because I heard bad things about it.

Hey man I loved that game and I played it before Cold Steel not knowing that it was in essence a clone with action combat haha.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Did you beat any of the super hard side bosses? I am in Act 2 Part 3 and I have beaten one but the rest just seem so much stronger than me....not sure how I feel about them but hose Lost Arts are super good it seems (I got the one that heals everyone for 200% and it's amazing for boss fights.

The ones that give you the overpowered quartz?
Yeah I think I beat 3 of them. I have been playing on easy though and they were some of the only battles I've really had to pay my full attention to as there we several times they would one hit KO multiple party members.
The rewards for beating them seemed worthwhile but in no means essential

I think I might be jumping in to Tokyo Xanadu after I eventually see credits roll in CS2 after picking it up in a recent PSN sale. I thought I already had it on steam, but it turns out I had Xanadu Next instead

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If Falcom releases PS4 ports for the Sky games XSEED would probably release them because it's a nearly effortless money for them, like CS1 and 2 on PS4. But I don't think XSEED will contract any ports of their own at this point.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ones that give you the overpowered quartz?
Yeah I think I beat 3 of them. I have been playing on easy though and they were some of the only battles I've really had to pay my full attention to as there we several times they would one hit KO multiple party members.
The rewards for beating them seemed worthwhile but in no means essential

Ok yeah I'm on normal and it was all I could do just to beat one of them haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Thanks for the detailed replies guys.

I'll stick it out and wait for the Zero Geofront translation. It seems like the Crossbell games spoil a lot less than the Cold Steel ones do.
As a Geofront tester, it's my hope to get this bad boy as close to XSEED-like loc standards before the initial release. Y'all deserve a great English version of Zero and it's coming soon, whether in a few weeks or a month or however long it takes.

If Falcom releases PS4 ports for the Sky games XSEED would probably release them because it's a nearly effortless money for them, like CS1 and 2 on PS4. But I don't think XSEED will contract any ports of their own at this point.
The way I see it, NISA's snapped up so many of the most efficient contracts with Switch-centric porting teams like Engine that less-monied localizers like XSEED are essentially priced out vs. what they could hope to make off games like the Sky trilogy. PC ports of niche games are still fine for XSEED as shown by things like Wizardry or Bullet Witch, but not anything requiring many more upfront porting/distribution fees. Meanwhile it seems NISA only wants the latest and greatest Falcom games, rather than considering ports of already-localized ones, and XSEED also wants to move on and strike new/improved relations with more reliable partners.

Basically, Falcom chose to burn bridges and we're SOL for the time being. Nothing new for the company, unfortunately.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
As a Geofront tester, it's my hope to get this bad boy as close to XSEED-like loc standards before the initial release. Y'all deserve a great English version of Zero and it's coming soon, whether in a few weeks or a month or however long it takes.
Hope this translation turns out as great as the few glimpses make it look like.
Take all the time you need!
After all, you shouldn't rush when eating your cousin *fap* *fap*

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Finally had credits roll in Cold Steel 2

With how things ended, I think I'll be taking a break before I hop in to Cold Steel 3. Unlike at the end of the first one it didn't leave me with much of a cliffhanger so I think I'll play through some other games before I tackle 3 or even think about anything new game+ like

I got a real persona 4 *real* last dungeon vibe from the old schoolhouse bit at the end. I mean before that happened I was wondering what exactly they were going to throw at me since they keep giving you battle items on that last free day

My main disappoints are that you can't unlock multiple character end bonding moments so in theory you have to play through the game 12 times to unlock it all unless I'm missing something.
The other disappointment being how much I seem to suck at button mashing these days as I couldn't complete the fishing sidequest on the last free day. It might've been because I only had the very basic equipment - the only other time I did any fishing was the first Ymir sidequest when she'd been up all night trying to catch the guardian

And on the plus side that's 2 games crossed off my backlog so far in 2020, still entirely too many to go

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Regarding your main disappointment, the only way to truly get everyone's final bonding event (the one in the dorms, at least) is to play on a New Game+ file with max bonding points enabled. It's something quite a few players on the PC version did when it was first released. Assuming you have that, you can then save your game on 30/12 and do each final bonding event with whatever character you please, make a separate savegame after the cinematic and then load the former savegame to try again with another character. The act of saving your game after the final bonding event should make their post-divertissement events viewable from the main menu without you having to play through the infernal castle a dozen times.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Regarding your main disappointment, the only way to truly get everyone's final bonding event (the one in the dorms, at least) is to play on a New Game+ file with max bonding points enabled. It's something quite a few players on the PC version did when it was first released. Assuming you have that, you can then save your game on 30/12 and do each final bonding event with whatever character you please, make a separate savegame after the cinematic and then load the former savegame to try again with another character. The act of saving your game after the final bonding event should make their post-divertissement events viewable from the main menu without you having to play through the infernal castle a dozen times.
Ah, thanks for that. I figured I was missing a trick somewhere
Still, that's something to save for a new game + run which is probably a good 6-12 months away

Oct 25, 2017
Yea you only have to save after seeing the final bonding event to get the other 2 scenes available from the main menu. There are a few little things you miss out on still, like a character waiting behind to walk with Rean and say a few words, but for the most part you get everything through that method.

Basically, Falcom chose to burn bridges and we're SOL for the time being. Nothing new for the company, unfortunately.
At least we got 1,287 Teehee's for the trouble

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Cold Steel 2 PC again to get the remaining achievements before CS3 releases, and it's been a blast so far. I think those cooking lines feature some of the finest voice acting for pretty much every playable character.