• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The comments I've seen from testers recently have basically been a combination of "when it's done" and "soon." Zerker has confirmed at minimum it will definitely be out before April lol.

Fwiw the original rough estimated release was around the end of January ("about a month" in the late December update). So far nothing seems to have changed that would affect that significantly, I'm guessing anytime between next week and mid-February. Someone actually involved would know better than my hearsay though.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I'm only a couple of hours in to sky, but I'm surprised with how many attacks are just missing.
I've realised some enemies you have to use arts on, but I think so far Joshua has only landed his s-craft attack once out of like 10 tries

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
I'm only a couple of hours in to sky, but I'm surprised with how many attacks are just missing.
I've realised some enemies you have to use arts on, but I think so far Joshua has only landed his s-craft attack once out of like 10 tries
Are you skipping the animation for it? S-Crafts aren't supposed to miss and I think there's a bug where if you skip Sever's animation no damage will be dealt.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
As a general rule, if weird stuff happens (S-crafts missing, characters clipping through a floor), stop holding down the Turbo button all the time. It was a feature that wasn't an initial part of the game, XSeed implemented it into all three Sky games retroactively after the release of Sky the 3rd, many years after the game's initial release and while it generally works as it should, the game was never programmed with Turbo in mind.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
The comments I've seen from testers recently have basically been a combination of "when it's done" and "soon." Zerker has confirmed at minimum it will definitely be out before April lol.

Fwiw the original rough estimated release was around the end of January ("about a month" in the late December update). So far nothing seems to have changed that would affect that significantly, I'm guessing anytime between next week and mid-February. Someone actually involved would know better than my hearsay though.
Mid february release would be perfect to finish it right in time before CS3 launches on PC. I'm so excited!

chanman

Nov 9, 2017

Does anyone know if we will be able patch their translation to the VIta version?

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I've been playing Ys 1 and 2 and I just remember how amazing falcom games are.

So it's been almost a month since geofront's last Zero update. Anybody got some insider info on how the beta is going? I'm dying to finally get my hands on it.
Glad to hear you're loving I & II! It's still one of my favorite Falcom duos to play through casually.

Beta's going well. I have a metric fuckton of editing fixes to report (both obvious and less obvious from the editing style side), and the other testers are proceeding at a similarly quick pace. Our main issue right now revolves around the game's .AS files, which are very tricky to hack for translation without causing bugs/crashes, and various other technical hiccups we want to iron out. Tech problems are the bottleneck right now, but we should have them figured out before March, at which point release will happen rapidly.

So far nothing seems to have changed that would affect that significantly, I'm guessing anytime between next week and mid-February. Someone actually involved would know better than my hearsay though.
That's pretty close to when we're hoping for a launch period. I'll have played through the game and reported all I need to by mid-February, for sure (assuming I don't get utterly bogged down by real-life stuff).

Does anyone know if we will be able patch their translation to the VIta version?
We don't plan to support the Evolution versions. Instead, you'll be able to add Evolution music and character voices to your PC copy of Trails from Zero without issue. It's very much a drag-and-drop scenario, at least on PC.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017

Bug aside...It's ridiculous!! You gotta but some hit quartz on your team; FC/SC have had some of the soul-crushing misses that fucked my party up at times. Thank goodness they don't counter like CS.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I never used Hit quartz in the Sky games unless I had a slot I had no other use for (it's mirage element in those games and there are practically no mirage spells in the first three games) and I didn't feel like I had as many misses as I had in the early part of CS2. I do recall hearing once that certain crafts like Estelle's Hurricane or Joshua's Dual Strike had a slightly lower hit rate than physicals though. (not to mention either both hits land or none of them do for the latter)

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding
Yin's identity, how doesn't anyone notice that Ryxia is wearing the shoes from her Arc En Ciel outfit? They're in plain sight! The world demands answers! I had no idea she spends so little time with the party, pretty surprised with that.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
So, regarding
Yin's identity, how doesn't anyone notice that Ryxia is wearing the shoes from her Arc En Ciel outfit? They're in plain sight! The world demands answers! I had no idea she spends so little time with the party, pretty surprised with that.

I didn't notice that, so I guess it makes sense that no one else did either lol

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
wow, the reunion with emma and laura was very well done, especially the following conversation. definitely one of the writing highlights across both CS games so far.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I had Cold Steel 2 hard crash on PS4 today which was weird. I think I have almost 140 hours in the first and second game and it's the first time it's happened. Lost about 20 minutes of play, very weird.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I had occasional problems with the game locking up with CS1 on PS3, but never CS2 on the same platform. Less familiar with issues specific to the PS4 versions. Was it the game freezing on the spot and requiring a hard reset, or the PS4 returning an error message before quitting back to the system menu?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking CS2 much more than CS1

I'm just at the start of act 2
after the intermission on the pantagruel

rean has gotten much more development. I don't feel like I'm dilly dallying forever with nothing happening in the plot like I did for too long in CS1. I have more freedom to go where I want and do what I want. most of the playable cast is in a pretty decent state now character-wise imo (except Gaius zzz...and Elliott a little)

this game is much easier than CS1 on nightmare though, and even that was relatively ez

you have too many tools at your disposal

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
So I had Cold Steel 2 hard crash on PS4 today which was weird. I think I have almost 140 hours in the first and second game and it's the first time it's happened. Lost about 20 minutes of play, very weird.
I think I had mine crash on me 4-5 times by the time I got to the end. After the first it taught me to save more regularly ( I have a bad habit of using the suspend play rather than saving and lost a lot that first time )

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I'm liking CS2 much more than CS1

I'm just at the start of act 2
after the intermission on the pantagruel

rean has gotten much more development. I don't feel like I'm dilly dallying forever with nothing happening in the plot like I did for too long in CS1. I have more freedom to go where I want and do what I want. most of the playable cast is in a pretty decent state now character-wise imo (except Gaius zzz...and Elliott a little)

this game is much easier than CS1 on nightmare though, and even that was relatively ez

you have too many tools at your disposal

Yeah I felt CS2 was really easy as well, especially since you can AT Delay everything to death.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had occasional problems with the game locking up with CS1 on PS3, but never CS2 on the same platform. Less familiar with issues specific to the PS4 versions. Was it the game freezing on the spot and requiring a hard reset, or the PS4 returning an error message before quitting back to the system menu?

It crashed to the PS4 menu with a blue screen error. I was fighting the
Cryptoid optional boss in Lunaire Park
which kinda makes sense because I noticed the frame rate in that place is horrible for some reason.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
It crashed to the PS4 menu with a blue screen error. I was fighting the
Cryptoid optional boss in Lunaire Park
which kinda makes sense because I noticed the frame rate in that place is horrible for some reason.

Yeah I had a blue screen error crash just before that in Lunaire Park, just by the fishing spot (on a regular ps4). I'm guessing for whatever reason it doesn't like that area

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Yeah I had a blue screen error crash just before that in Lunaire Park, just by the fishing spot (on a regular ps4). I'm guessing for whatever reason it doesn't like that area

The game (and its predecessor) haven't been well-optimized, so performance tends to suffer in areas with effects like fog. When Durante was working on the PC ports, areas with fog were among the parts he especially added lots of tweaks for. Since the PS4 version is simply the PS3 version with Turbo mode and additional voice samples added in running on more powerful hardware, I guess there's still a chance your system struggles when running around in those kinds of areas.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
The game (and its predecessor) haven't been well-optimized, so performance tends to suffer in areas with effects like fog. When Durante was working on the PC ports, areas with fog were among the parts he especially added lots of tweaks for. Since the PS4 version is simply the PS3 version with Turbo mode and additional voice samples added in running on more powerful hardware, I guess there's still a chance your system struggles when running around in those kinds of areas.

Yeah I didn't mind drops in framerate etc, as you say due to the nature of the port that's expected. It was just a little annoying to get that blue screen crash there.
Aside from losing about an hour (less since I then skipped a bunch of NPC dialogue when I was going back through it) it didn't spoil my experience

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I'm only 5-6 hrs into Zero no Kiseki and I'm already enjoying it more than CS1. The music is so good in this not sure how the music took such a step back in CS1 and 2.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 5-6 hrs into Zero no Kiseki and I'm already enjoying it more than CS1. The music is so good in this not sure how the music took such a step back in CS1 and 2.
Zero has a great soundtrack, as does Ao, but I wouldn't say either the CS1 or 2 soundtracks are a step back from the Crossbell games. Get Over the Barrier is the superior standard battle theme (and main theme as the Roaring Version), though.
Wait to hear cs3 and cs4 ost which were both worse than cs1+2(and zero+ao) lol
I've found enough to like about CS3's music, but the theme for
whenever Rean summons Valimar
is a massive downgrade from Awakening in CS2.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I find. Zero and Ao ost the best ones, than cs1+2. Than Sky Trilogy. Far away cs4 and last cs3. But still lovely ost because falcom ost are the best along mitsuda imho.
At today two songs of Sky 1 are unbeaten anyway. Final dungeon and whereabout etc

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

The step back in terms of writing and characters was much bigger, unfortunately. But yeah, the Crossbell games have exceptional soundtracks.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
imo the only big change is Saki Momiyama not being around anymore, it is after CS1 and 2 that a lot of people started leaving Falcom resulting in a radical shift and monotony across games

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
The step back in terms of writing and characters was much bigger, unfortunately. But yeah, the Crossbell games have exceptional soundtracks.

Honestly even though I am early in the game I can tell already there is just a certain charm and flair this game has that was missing compared to the CS games.

Honestly part of me feels like I might just drop this game now and wait for the Geofront translation to release. The game is too good to not experience with best possible translation given to it, what do you'll think?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
sky third easily has the best overall OST out of the ones I've played imo (sky trilogy; CS 1-2)

It has the best OST of the Sky trilogy certainly, I though CS 1 and 2 were a massive step up in that department though personally

I've seen a lot of complaints about CS 1 and 2 on this forum and the old one but this is the first time I can honestly remember the soundtrack being amongst them

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly even though I am early in the game I can tell already there is just a certain charm and flair this game has that was missing compared to the CS games.

Honestly part of me feels like I might just drop this game now and wait for the Geofront translation to release. The game is too good to not experience with best possible translation given to it, what do you'll think?

I got tired of waiting and finished it a long time ago (almost done with AO now) but if you are only a few hours in you should definitely wait.
And yeah, it doesn't take much time until you realize that this has everything that is missing from the CS arc. It's a shame that the weakest arc is also by far the longest, though in the end being stretched over 4 huge games is one of its problems to begin with.
The ost in CS is pretty good imo, even if it's not as good as Zero/AO.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I can't comment on Crossbell's ost beyond what tracks cameo in CS1 and 2 (which admittedly, there are some bops - geofront especially), but for me CS1 and 2 are better than the Sky trilogy music wise. Although it is pretty close, and I wouldn't blame anyone for having a different opinion.
...that said, some of the best tracks in CS1 and 2 make use of The Final Choice from Sky the 3rd, so in that sense I guess Sky the 3rd wins again. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
imo the only big change is Saki Momiyama not being around anymore, it is after CS1 and 2 that a lot of people started leaving Falcom resulting in a radical shift and monotony across games
I'd like to know more about this staff exodus, assuming you have sources for it. Momiyama had already married Sonoda and left the sound team starting soon after Ao's release AFAIK, with her contributing a small portion of tracks to CS1 before she had to bow out.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

Personally, I think that Zero and Azure have the best OSTs in the entire series (with all due respect to Sky the Third, which also has excellent music). However, I'm also not that amazed by Falcom's music, in general, so I'm more surprised by how much I like the Crossbell music than I am by the music taking a step back in the Cold Steel arc. In defense of Cold Steel 1 and 2's OSTs, I do prefer the music in the newer games over the first two Trails in the Sky OSTs.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising but it was confirmed on stream yesterday that they will not be adding additional voice lines for CS3.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the officially localized Trails games, CS2's soundtrack is my favorite. Phantasmal Blaze might be my favorite piece of final dungeon music in general.

Not surprising but it was confirmed on stream yesterday that they will not be adding additional voice lines for CS3.
Disappointing, but expected.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some nuance was lost in the english version of Cold Steel I & II regarding Rean & Crow's relationship. A friend of mine explains why in this thread, and I figured i'd share it (spoilers for CS1 & 2)

Interesting stuff. I think this sort of comes across in english, but I assume it hit a lot harder with its intended audience due to the relationship dynamic in question being embedded in Japanese culture

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Some nuance was lost in the english version of Cold Steel I & II regarding Rean & Crow's relationship. A friend of mine explains why in this thread, and I figured i'd share it (spoilers for CS1 & 2)

Interesting stuff. I think this sort of comes across in english, but I assume it hit a lot harder with its intended audience due to the relationship dynamic in question being embedded in Japanese culture

That's gay

...But yeah it's an interesting facet of their relationship. I don't think it's really something you can localise properly - there's just not an English equivalent as far as I know, so you'd need to build that element of their relationship without using the senpai/kouhai shorthand, which would honestly probably take actively adding at least a few more text boxes. Which a localisation isn't going to do.

That said I do think the localisation got the gist beyond the initial setup. Crow is cool and helpful in his own way, Rean is passionate and charismatic. Rean's relationship with Crow feels different from minute one, even if there isn't a good way of describing it in English in just a few words (which is why a lot of people just go "Crow senpai" lol).

In terms of investment, maybe this is just me, but I felt pretty invested. Their relationship is strong enough without it imo.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018

Yeah I agree that, for me at least, it mostly came across.
Still an interesting read and I'm at a loss for what the answer really is when it comes to localizing that kind of relationship

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Was there a lot less voice acting in 3? I haven't played it yet as I'm still on 2.
It's more that all the Cold Steel games have generally less voice acting. It's just that XSeed added a lot of voice acting to the English PC version (and by extension the PS4 version). So there weren't as many silent stretches or moments where everyone but Rean is voice acted.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Personally, I think that Zero and Azure have the best OSTs in the entire series (with all due respect to Sky the Third, which also has excellent music). However, I'm also not that amazed by Falcom's music, in general, so I'm more surprised by how much I like the Crossbell music than I am by the music taking a step back in the Cold Steel arc. In defense of Cold Steel 1 and 2's OSTs, I do prefer the music in the newer games over the first two Trails in the Sky OSTs.

Yeah I agree their music at least in Trails series wasn't something that was stood out to me besides the Silver Will being my favorite. I never played the 3rd as I o
It's more that all the Cold Steel games have generally less voice acting. It's just that XSeed added a lot of voice acting to the English PC version (and by extension the PS4 version). So there weren't as many silent stretches or moments where everyone but Rean is voice acted.

It is interesting that even with them adding the extra VO there were still stretches of dialogue with nothing voiced.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Which game do you guys/gals think has the best Prologue in series? I personally think Zero is the best one I have played so far but I only have played Tits 1 & 2 and CS1 & 2. (Watched a video summary for Sky 3rd).