• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Which game do you guys/gals think has the best Prologue in series? I personally think Zero is the best one I have played so far but I only have played Tits 1 & 2 and CS1 & 2. (Watched a video summary for Sky 3rd).

definitely 3rd for me

haven't played the crossbell ones yet though

SC definitely has the highest highs as far as prologue goes though even though it's not quite the best as a full package,that return to rolent really changed my opinion on estelle who I originally didn't care for much in FC

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
3rd's prologue is excellent. By far the strongest of the games I've played IMO (no Crossbell or CS3), and I'd imagine even people that ultimately didn't like the structure of 3rd probably at least enjoyed that prologue.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
3rd's prologue is excellent. By far the strongest of the games I've played IMO (no Crossbell or CS3), and I'd imagine even people that ultimately didn't like the structure of 3rd probably at least enjoyed that prologue.

Honestly from what I did see from 3rd's prologue it did look great I just didn't like the direction they went with this game.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
3rd, Zero, and SC have my favorite prologues. Comparing them I think 3rd and SC are my top two.

Especially in regards to 3rd, you hear so much about the church and the gralsritter in Sky FC and SC, but then in the 3rd you get to see one in real time solo action and it is badass. SC's emotional prologue is one of the series highs. Zero's is simple but in this case simple works really well.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I just finished Chapter 1 of Trails of Cold Steel and I'm loving it! I managed to get an S for the chapter. I enjoy the characters quite a lot and the battle system is great.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
SC has the best opening hour, easily. It's arguably the one of the best hours of the game too. The prologue of SC also covers a bunch of stuff after that point which is much less memorable (Sorry Anelace, I love you but...), but honestly I'd be tempted to give it to SC for that single hour anyway.

CS2's prologue is also very good. Again, it's probably one of the best parts of the game, but it's not quite the emotional gut punch of SC's, it's more just "all aboard the CS2 train, here's what the game's about character wise, and here's a cool new area". It's more consistent than SC's prologue, I think, for better and for worse.

So yeah I'd give it to one of those two. (3rd's opening is great pacing wise but I don't go "you know what my favourite part of 3rd was? The opening". It's good, it's entertaining, it's good set up, but 3rd only gets better the further you get into it imo.)

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of investment, maybe this is just me, but I felt pretty invested. Their relationship is strong enough without it imo.

They're straight up the emotional core of the Cold Steel series. That's why the waifu system doesn't really bother me as much; the games are, for whatever reason, largely about Rean and Crow.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Those sons of bitches, they did it.

20200131-zeroaokai-06.png

EPlNV-nU4AALdyd

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It's kind of a shame they're not adressing the Silent Rean syndrome. Maybe they

Does this even have a chance of being localized?

Only slightly. It's a duo of games with extremely dated visuals and absolutely massive scripts that already had fan-translations in the west, all of which combine to make it unattractive projects to sink lots of time and money into. If it gets localized, I'm gonna chalk it up to Falcom doing their "localize all my stuff, including the non-marketable games or I'm gonna look for other publishing partners"-schtick.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Might double dip if they add a decent amount of new contents in the crossbell games and if they port to switch. It's been a while since I last played those games.

Oct 25, 2017
They are most likely going to be straight ports of the PSP versions. I wouldn't expect any extra content.

It's in spoilered text above, but it has been confirmed that the Crossbell ports are making some alterations in order to retroactively incorporate characters who weren't defined until Cold Steel. So there's at least a little extra content, though I wouldn't expect major changes.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
There's been a patch for CS3 mentioning "minor text, graphic, and audio fixes".
Text definitely needed refinements in certain places.
Can't imagine what "graphics" needed to be touched up.
Audio too... though I seem to recall people complaining about the VA sounds levels being a bit too high and drowning out the background music.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this yesterday, any word on what they fixed?
I wouldn't know if it fixes all of the things that needed to be fixed in the text. That said...

I should hope that they were more observant this time, and that everyone who had been able to bring the mistakes to their attention didn't miss anything.
Text definitely needed refinements in certain places.
Can't imagine what "graphics" needed to be touched up.
Audio too... though I seem to recall people complaining about the VA sounds levels being a bit too high and drowning out the background music.
Graphics may or may not have been related to the subtle yet odd way character models kind of seemed to "warp" in when loading in views of them in seated positions.

The voices were definitely too high on default settings, and needed to be set to around half of what they were relative to everything else not to be louder than the music and sound effects.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
The new patch for Cold Steel 3 doesn't show up on my European PS4. It's says that version 1.01 is the latest version even when I try to manually update the game.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Does the PS4 versions of ToCS (1 & 2) allow save import? Not data transfer, but importing save from 1 to 2? I believe the PC version has it, at least.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I commend Geofront for what they've done for Zero, but still waiting patiently for an official localization (for Ao, as well).

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I feel your pain too! I'm really waiting for Zero to release, haha. I did the same thing with Scarlet Study's Great Ace Attorney last year.
Heck I'm doing it with Scarlet Study's Great Ace Attorney 2... God I really need that Android release for the first two cases of it, at least 3DS has it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Donany of these games require 2 playthroughs to not miss anything?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You would also need to play through CS1 at least twice to get every Master Quartz, not related to NG+ but rather because you can only choose between one of two as a reward by the end of the game.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie, all these bosses near the end of Act 2 Part 4 of CS2 that can super charge themselves and heal like 1/5 of their life are annoying as fuck and I'm not having fun lol