• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cs2 chapter 2 kinda annoying me tbh

this is like that one chapter in SC on steroids

Yeah

I liked the break between action in the first game where I got to run around the campus and talk to everyone. But the "Oh now you have to go EVERYWHERE you've been every time there's a "Part" advancement, 5 times this chapter got on my nerves a little bit.

It was like, hey you just did this cool mission, now spend 3 hours talking to every NPC in the game again! I didn't hate it, because talking to the villagers and students in the first game was one of my favorite parts. But there are just too many NPC's to talk to and not enough change in their stories to make it interesting in the second game. Still loving the game, just wish they had focused that a bit more in the second game.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Cs2 chapter 2 kinda annoying me tbh

this is like that one chapter in SC on steroids
You mean the entirety of act 2? What chapter do you think it resembles?
Act 2 part 4 is very similar to SC chapter 7, but act 2 as a whole resembles more to a heavily expanded Ao final chapter to me, I don't associate it much with SC.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
You mean the entirety of act 2? What chapter do you think it resembles?
Act 2 part 4 is very similar to SC chapter 7, but act 2 as a whole resembles more to a heavily expanded Ao final chapter to me, I don't associate it much with SC.

Every part where you have multiple towns/bases to go and talk to npcs and do quests at

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sky didn't really do the extended epilogue thing. IIRC FC was the only one that even had any sort of epilogue and it was fairly short and led into SC.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Trails in the Sky the Third is an entire game that functions like an extended epilogue to the previous two entries in the trilogy.

I don't like when people describe third chapter this way

I feel like it marginalizes the game into the equivalent of an interlude when it's frankly more than that (see the entirety of Kevin's backstory)

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So, Arianrhod is the strongest character or at least top 2 along with McBurn, right?
Will jump into CS3 as soon as it's out on PC, I should be done with AO this week.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like NISA is looking for CS3 PC beta testers. Gave it all of two seconds of thought before deciding against it, would rather my first playthrough be at my own pace without worrying about feedback or stopping to test issues.

twitter.com

NISAmerica on Twitter

“We are now accepting applications for the private beta test for Trails of Cold Steel III on PC. We will be taking applications until Thursday, February 13, 10:00 AM PST. If interested, please fill out the form at the link: (https://t.co/cFIU803GRl) #TrailsofColdSteelIII”

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, I need some advice. I'm well into Cold Steel 2 (just finished
the first ore temple and am now going to get revenge on Jusis's dad for lighting Celdic on fire
) but am already feeling burnt out by how repetitive it is, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish by the time CS3 comes to PC/Switch. Should I just watch the rest of the story on YouTube and skip to CS3, or is it worth slogging through the rest of the game? (It'd also be helpful to know how many hours I have left to go, if anyone knows.)

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
the first ore temple and am now going to get revenge on Jusis's dad for lighting Celdic on fire
) but am already feeling burnt out by how repetitive it is, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish by the time CS3 comes to PC/Switch. Should I just watch the rest of the story on YouTube and skip to CS3, or is it worth slogging through the rest of the game? (It'd also be helpful to know how many hours I have left to go, if anyone knows.)

Skip all sidequests and extra NPCs and focus on advancing the main story only. Utilize the most busted strategies (S-Craft spam, delay tactics) and this should help you expedite the game and get to CS3 before you know it.

There's a NG+ only scene, just watch that on youtube like most people did.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017

You still have a while to go before the end but like @Yunyo focus on just the main story beats if you can and if that isn't enough tap out and watch the rest on youtube. CS2 while I did have fun with it definitely goes on way too long.

On a separate note I just reached the Intermission chapter in Zero no Kiseki and this is already becoming on my favorite game in the series. I definitely think I would have enjoyed CS1 & 2 more if I played this first I just hope CS3 lives up to the hype once I get to it after getting through the Crossbell Arc.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
You're about to reach the climax of Act 2 part 3, so you only have part 4 to go (which will be the worst considering you're feeling burnt out, but it's not too long. Think chapter 7 of Trails in the Sky SC) and the finale (which is just the climax) in terms of the core narrative. If there's something that you have to skip, I would recommend to skip playing what comes after the finale and just watch the story parts on youtube. You will not enjoy playing that at all if you're not feeling it already and the burnt out feeling will only increase.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm starting to have the same problems. I'm in the finale chapter and I'm getting a little worn down by the repetitiveness. My completionist self won't allow me to just skip all the dialogue and side stuff so I'm continuing on. It's a great game I just wish there was a bit less of it.

I will say that Part 4 and the Finale seem to be even longer than Part 3 where you are. So if you are struggling now it's only going to get worse.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I struggled through CS2 at times as well. But man oh man was it worth it to get to CS3. It didn't take for it to become my favorite game in this arc.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm going to stan for CSII until the day I die, but yeah, 3's better.

Speaking of 3, I'm going to be doing my 2nd run soon (relatively speaking, I'll do it once I finish replaying 1 and 2. I'm currently at CS1 chapter 6), and I was looking at ways to make the combat more exciting by limiting/banning certain brave orders. I'm not looking at doing a challenge run, I'm just trying to make the break/brave order system, which was a highlight for me, a bit more tactical. For example, Sara's brave order is obviously out, that shit is just bonkers, but the rest are a bit more tricky. For example, Kurt's is obviously OP as hell, but if we ban that, then I'm pretty much left without the ability to play with AT delay, so I was thinking of only using it at 4BP, which seems more fair to me.

Do you guys have any ideas with that? Or I'm just pulling hairs as they're too fundamentally overpowered (which looking at the wiki list... kinda seems that way)?

Maybe once the PC version is released we get some balance mods, at least I hope so (Did ToCS1 and 2 recieve any? I don't remember any, but I didn't look for them).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still at the start of chapter 2 of CS3, havent been able to get into it. Got interested when I had the old party members back, but now that they're gone my interest has waned.

Didn't help with how much poorer the localization was, will see if the latest patch helped when I get back.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Was the localization for CS3 a lot worse? I had heard before it released many people being concerned with NISA taking over and the localization would suffer for it, but ever since it's been released I haven't seen people mention anything on how bad it is (except from yourself). I've only heard how CS3 is a much better game than 1 & 2.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
It's got the occasional typo, misaligned text boxes and at least one instance of an item having the wrong description tied to it. But dialogue reads fine for the most part (the biggest hurdle is all the "ha ha"s and "tee hee"s that populate the script... you start to notice how often they get used very quickly). Nowhere near the travesty that was the Ys VIII first pass. Or at least that's my take.

Oct 25, 2017
It's got the occasional typo, misaligned text boxes and at least one instance of an item having the wrong description tied to it. But dialogue reads fine for the most part (the biggest hurdle is all the "ha ha"s and "tee hee"s that populate the script... you start to notice how often they get used very quickly). Nowhere near the travesty that was the Ys VIII first pass. Or at least that's my take.
its certainly not close to Ys VIII bad, but its a noticeable enough downgrade in the readability department compared to the previous 5 games. It sits for the most part at a level I would generally expect from the usual localization of a Japanese game, the heehees and teehees then dragging it down a bit lower than that.

There are several just straight errors in the localization as well, but ive seen at least a couple of those to have been noted as fixed in 1.02 (the Tio line someone already mentioned, as well as an Ash Rean conversation). Same with the black records errors apparently being fixed.

twitter.com

Scott on Twitter

“For everyone who didn't like the heehees and teehees in Cold Steel III: NISA heard you.”

They defintiely at least fixed some of the poorer readability in this patch, as seen in that tweet. Which also removed a teehee and replaced it with a "heh" which is an onomatopoeia you could actually imagine making, so bravo there.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who will do the English voices for
Estelle and Joshua
in CS4.

About to enter AO's final dungeon. The epilogue is huge but it's fantastic. So, so good, every second of it.
I also love how much characters from the Sky games appear in Crossbell. Every scene that has the casts of both games interact warms my heart.

Last edited:

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Spoiler tag that my friend, I didn't know they made an appearance in CS4.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
No worries it is minor but how do you feel AO compares to prequel, currently in Chapter 4 with Zero and it is really great I can't imagine what Ao has in store.

AO is even better imo, but like FC and SC I tend to think of them as a single game that is split into 2 parts, not individual games. I'm not done yet but the final 10 hours or so are one hell of a ride.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I didn't ant to do it but I finally said F it and went for it. Stacked speed and delay on Rean and Fie and damage on Laura and now I'm basically just tapping X through boss fights without taking damage heh. Every now and then I run into one with immunity to Delay or some such and I end up having to put in a little thought but all the speed and dodge chance on Fie still makes it cake. (Cold Steel 2)

I don't like that it took out all the challenge but at least I can enjoy the rest of the story now.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Well I didn't ant to do it but I finally said F it and went for it. Stacked speed and delay on Rean and Fie and damage on Laura and now I'm basically just tapping X through boss fights without taking damage heh. Every now and then I run into one with immunity to Delay or some such and I end up having to put in a little thought but all the speed and dodge chance on Fie still makes it cake. (Cold Steel 2)

I don't like that it took out all the challenge but at least I can enjoy the rest of the story now.

Heh finally gave in :D

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Finished AO. This is one of those cases where you know you just played something special that will stay with you. I'm glad I managed to play through the Crossbell saga before the PC release of CS3, understanding (and caring ) about what happened in Crossbell is important going forward.

Regarding the ending
it's strange that Ouroboros would just leave something with the ability to change the world behind, but I guess that with Mariabell becoming an Anguis they would have control over it in the end.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I just finished Cold Steel 2

I really enjoyed 95% of the game, although I felt it was a bit less fun than the first game which I though was nearly flawless in terms of world building and character. This one was close, but fell just a bit shorter at times.

I don't know how the community felt about the ending, but I really enjoyed it. The Reverie Corridor kinda felt like a lame way to end the game but I didn't hate it. It just didn't seem to matter a whole lot, I feel the game would have been better off ending on the Infernal Castle and just having a short epilogue where everyone says goodbye. But still, it wasn't horrible the way it was so I am ok with it.

The Crossbell section really reminded me how big and cool the world is in these games and while I still don't want to go through the hassle of buying and downloading unofficial translations of the games I have decided to watch the (very lengthy) summary videos on both games before playing Cold Steel 3. This is no mean feat in itself as they total like 7 hours lol.

Anyway, the game is fucking amazing and I look forward to seeing what they do in 3 now!

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm most of the way through the first chapter of Cold Steel 3 and....

Is it ever explained why suddenly Rean is basically on the same level as a bunch of first year students all of a sudden? I mean a year ago this dude was battling Ouroboros enforcers and demon robots. It comes off weird that now he is doing minimal damage against slimes in the test center with Juna and Kurt....

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017

Is it ever explained why suddenly Rean is basically on the same level as a bunch of first year students all of a sudden? I mean a year ago this dude was battling Ouroboros enforcers and demon robots. It comes off weird that now he is doing minimal damage against slimes in the test center with Juna and Kurt....

Gameplaywise CSIII is a complete reset, so characters that are supposed to be stronger than the students get a 2/3 level headstart and sort of maintain it throughout.

From the story's perspective, Rean's putting himself to their level so that they learn stuff, only fighting on top form if the situation demands it. That's acknowledged several times by the narrative, but still, the main reason is that having a character much stronger than the others is a nightmare to design around, and in all likelyhood, not very fun to play.

Last edited:

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018

I've yet to start CS3 but couldn't it be similar to what Sara does in CS1 and 2?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to start CS3 but couldn't it be similar to what Sara does in CS1 and 2?

I mean it is kinda, but different. You didn't actually control Sara until pretty late in CS1 and by CS2 I thought it seemed reasonable that after everything they'd gone through that Class 7 was catching up to Sara in terms of combat proficiency so it never really stood out as a huge problem.

It just seems odd to have Rean basically be level 1 with like leather armor and a shitty weapon. As someone who went from CS2 to CS3 in a day it's very abrupt in noticeable. It feels unatural.

As much as I love Rean I think it would have been better to have made him a Sara type figure and let Class 7 do their own thing instead of putting you in Reans shoes as the leader again.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is kinda, but different. You didn't actually control Sara until pretty late in CS1 and by CS2 I thought it seemed reasonable that after everything they'd gone through that Class 7 was catching up to Sara in terms of combat proficiency so it never really stood out as a huge problem.

It just seems odd to have Rean basically be level 1 with like leather armor and a shitty weapon. As someone who went from CS2 to CS3 in a day it's very abrupt in noticeable. It feels unatural.

As much as I love Rean I think it would have been better to have made him a Sara type figure and let Class 7 do their own thing instead of putting you in Reans shoes as the leader again.
Though I didn't need Rean to be the main character again either, the way his personality served to influence his teaching style meant that we never had a chance of him taking a more hands-off approach like Sara did.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018

I''d always got the impression that she was holding back when you could use her as a party character right up until the last little bit of the second game - and even then its debatable whether everyones caught up or she's just excusing herself from the situation

But as you say she's more of a guest character instead of being the main character so I can see how that's different.

Hopefully there's some story explanation as it progresses though, and I look forward to finding out in a few months when I start my playthrough

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I''d always got the impression that she was holding back when you could use her as a party character right up until the last little bit of the second game - and even then its debatable whether everyones caught up or she's just excusing herself from the situation

I guess. In the first game I definitely thought she was holding back. But in CS2 it seemed the kids had done and seen enough shit that, while she was still clearly the better and stronger fighter, they weren't completely outmatched by her anymore. It was very vague and we never really knew what Sara had done in the past until pretty later.

By comparison we know Rean has fought through dozens of enemy bases, forests, dungeons....he has battled some of the strongest people in the world, saved the Empire, been "the chosen one"....etc etc without getting into spoilers. And now he's level 7 and wearing basic leather gear and doing the same damage as some kids who have literally never even been in real combat.....

It's just very weird. Even my roommate who occasionally watches me but doesn't really know the game asked me why he was suddenly suck a wuss.

I guess I could be not far enough into the game yet, so we will see. The game is great though!

Though I didn't need Rean to be the main character again either, the way his personality served to influence his teaching style meant that we never had a chance of him taking a more hands-off approach like Sara did.

This is true. Having Rean sit back and watch from the side line would be almost even more unbelievable as having him de-level 100+ levels and lose all of his gear, orbs and skills. lol (no sarcasm)

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus, ToCSII PS4 performance on a PS4 pro is dreadful. I played this version on my base PS4 this summer as I didn't have access to my gaming PC and I didn't have any noteworthy performance issues that I remember. But now with a pro, the game drops frames at the slightest opportunity. The 1st shrine and Lunaria Matter Park have been a chore to battle through, it seems that it can't handle the environment effects and character models well at all, considering that any cutscene with those effects also chug like crazy. I dread arriving to Legram.

I get that 4K is very demanding and Falcom has issues optimizing their games, but I can't even improve the performance by limiting the resolution to 1080p.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, ToCSII PS4 performance on a PS4 pro is dreadful. I played this version on my base PS4 this summer as I didn't have access to my gaming PC and I didn't have any noteworthy performance issues that I remember. But now with a pro, the game drops frames at the slightest opportunity. The 1st shrine and Lunaria Matter Park have been a chore to battle through, it seems that it can't handle the environment effects and character models well at all, considering that any cutscene with those effects also chug like crazy. I dread arriving to Legram.

I get that 4K is very demanding and Falcom has issues optimizing their games, but I can't even improve the performance by limiting the resolution to 1080p.

Yeah I just finished it on a PS4 Pro and you have mentioned the main problem areas already. The Nature Park and Legram with fog are by far the worst offenders, to the point of being hard to play. I also had my only crash of the first two games while playing through the Park, so be careful with that. (Believe it or not Legram with fog is twice as bad as the Park)

There were a few other areas that had frame rate dips but nothing even close to as bad as the two I just mentioned. For some reason the environmental affect is eating up processor pretty badly.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Vantage Masters had more. I'm only in chapter 2 but I find myself begging for more cards to customize decks with. Also Sister and Knight are the only masters that seem worth it so far. Ranger would be if you werent just better off stacking blaze on a Blyx using Sister for the extra bonus starting mana

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I just finished it on a PS4 Pro and you have mentioned the main problem areas already. The Nature Park and Legram with fog are by far the worst offenders, to the point of being hard to play. I also had my only crash of the first two games while playing through the Park, so be careful with that. (Believe it or not Legram with fog is twice as bad as the Park)

There were a few other areas that had frame rate dips but nothing even close to as bad as the two I just mentioned. For some reason the environmental affect is eating up processor pretty badly.

I'm going to be saving more often then, thanks for letting me know. And yeah, I absolutely can believe Legram gets worse, that place was really bad on PS3. So far only combat and cutscenes have had dire FPS drops, but I imagine Legram might also cause issues while exploring.

But still, I'm taken aback by how bad it's getting. Attacking with Gale on the 1st shrine on big groups of enemies I'm fairly certain tanked the framerate below 20.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I just beat Zero no Kiseki and man what a game definitely enjoyed seeing
that moment between Renne, Joshua and Estelle finally coming to the conclusion and with Estelle embracing her, really touching after all she has been through

Now I just need to figure out the best way to play Ao no Kiseki now after just playing the Evo version of Zero on my Vita; anyone have any suggestions?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Yeesh, I just got to the end(I think...) of CS1's finale and I don't have a single required weapon to make any of the ultimates, I don't even know where I could've gotten them from.

"Wow, you have [ultimate item] and I can make [ultimate thing] for you, too bad you don't have the other thing we never told you about!"

And the lack of VA on Rean in key scenes is very jarring.