• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but they still came up with the idea of a browser game in the age of smart device.

Sadly I missed the beta window for the mobile port, and it seems it will take ages to officially come out.
Idk if the idea was pitched by Falcom, after all Falcom did port it to Vita, PS3 and PS4 themselves. Though it runs atrocious on them.
Didn't they

Give the grandmaster a woman's voice in that one star door? lmao
Like Erpy said that already was established. Furthermore i think Falcom had a hand in the casting of the VA's from the Evo ports.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
spoiler for 3rd:
I just learned that the woman that flirts with Kevin at the start of 3rd is actually Vita.
I don't think this adds up. The flirty woman is married. You can even find a man who's clearly supposed to be her husband if you look around. I don't think there are any signs of Vita being married (or divorced) in the first two Cold Steel. Have I missed any? Are there any references to the husband in CS III or CS IV?

I suppose it's also possible for the flirty woman to lie about having a husband, and for Kevin's assumption that the man who complains about his wife wandering off is married to the flirty woman to be wrong, but would that make sense? Why would Vita falsely claim that she was married when she was looking for a one night stand? To make it kinkier?

I can believe that the flirty woman was supposed to be the 2nd Anguis at the time of Sky the 3rd's development (the Anguis, as portrayed in the Phantasmal Blaze door, is also defined by a flirty streak), but to me, it doesn't look like the Vita that we ultimately ended up getting can be that woman.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Are these actually canon? Still kind of a stretch and it wouldn't add any new depth to the scene.
No subsequent game brings it up again, so it's impossible to tell whether this addition can be considered canon. Fact is Ouroboros was involved one way or another with the Herman Conrad/Lusitania incident.

Also, the Second Anguis = Flirty Woman on Lustiania theory pre-dates Sen's announcement.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Since Falcom might have had input for casting the voices in 3rd EVO...

Does the woman on the ship that flirts with Kevin (assuming she's voiced) and Vita during that one star door with the anguises/grandmaster have the same voice actor? And are those voice actors the same as Vita's in CS1/2?

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
Since Falcom might have had input for casting the voices in 3rd EVO...

Does the woman on the ship that flirts with Kevin (assuming she's voiced) and Vita during that one star door with the anguises/grandmaster have the same voice actor? And are those voice actors the same as Vita's in CS1/2?

Yes, they they have the same VA as far as I can tell.
Vita: https://youtu.be/ywjAHQ4sP38?t=781
Masked woman: https://youtu.be/to7Nzl2SU6w?t=677

The grandmaster from 3rd EVO also has the same VA as from CS4 as far as I can hear though the voice itself is a bit younger-sounding for CS4.

3rd EVO: https://youtu.be/ywjAHQ4sP38?t=1060
CS4: https://youtu.be/8-3_gMXQY7M?t=172

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be able to read that cuz I'm several years away from CS4, but at least it looks like my question gets answered in some way.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was it the double post spell?

Nivorae so smitten via magical manipulation that he smashed that post button twice
the fusion dance was getting absolved for a split second resulting in both altina and osborne posting.
Won't be able to read that cuz I'm several years away from CS4, but at least it looks like my question gets answered in some way.
3rd: yes

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More thoughts on the flirty woman.

133-jedkfstkaf1v.png

(Screenshot taken from the Let's Play Archive)

When Kevin returns to the party, the flirty woman is standing next to two men. One of them (the blonde in a red jacket) looks like the guy she starts hitting on after Kevin turns down her advances. The other one (the brown-haired man in a blue jacket) looks like the potential husband.

I think the implication is that the flirty woman really is married and was caught red-handed when she was trying to seduce another man. In this case, the flirty woman is extremely unlikely to be Vita because of the lack of any references to a husband, current or former (the situation does give the husband grounds for a divorce), in Cold Steel. It's still possible that she was meant to be Vita back in 2007, but Falcom ultimately decided that Vita would work better as a single woman as they developed the plot of the arc further.

The problem is, there are other male guests who use these sprites, and these characters don't get any lines in this scene, so it's impossible to tell if the blue jacket really is the husband. It's also possible that the flirty woman has stepped it up and is trying to pick up two men at once. I guess this would somewhat improve the chances of the flirty woman being Vita, but it would still leave the questions of who "the oaf of a man" was, and why Falcom had decided to include an NPC hinted to be Vita's husband if Vita hadn't been meant to have a husband.

I think it would be really cool if the flirty woman was Vita, but I'm not going to believe that unless I see a callback to this scene that clarifies apparent inconsistencies in a later game.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The "Oaf-of-a-man" you refer to is actually in the same room at the start. (he's the one at the buffet in the corner and Kevin's thoughts pretty much make the subtext text when you talk to him) The fact that like half of the male guests in that room use that sprite shouldn't be a deterrant to connecting the dots.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe related,maybe not...

Nah, not related. They did lose two localization editors recently though, and they were hiring for one before those two people left. So in other words if you're interested in getting in the industry and you live in or near Torrance now is your chance to apply.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Nah, not related. They did lose two localization editors recently though, and they were hiring for one before those two people left. So in other words if you're interested in getting in the industry and you live in or near Torrance now is your chance to apply.

Well, it could be related if that localization editor ends up working on Cold Steel 3 and 4. It's certainly not a sign that Xseed has licensed the games, though, as they need to hire new editors regardless of the Trails series.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well 3rd finished.

And I finished just at the same time CS1 was on sale! It was destiny! So I bought it, currently on Ch3.

I'm really liking it so far, although none of the characters have the charm of Estelle or Joshua.

The battle system evolution is quite nice, but I kinda miss the degree of customization of the old orbment system, this one seems way more rigid.

Ok, Ok. Thanks for the quick response.

I got the message: 3rd it is.

Edit: And bought, I was thinking to wait for a sale and then I thought:"Fuck it!".

So yeah, 3rd was quite the trip, now I see how important it was.

I feel some of the story door sections drags the pace quite a bit, but I guess it was necessary that much exposition.

I wish Crosbell games were already avaliable, I would have bought them on a heartbeat too, 3rd really sets up Crosbell as the natural followup (obviously)

Although for now CS1 works well as a standalone story.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see you enjoyed 3rd!

CS1/2 was made as an entry point for newcomers, so it doesn't rely on Sky or Crossbell to enjoy the story and characters. That's not to say that your prior knowledge of the series won't come into play though throughout the two games though, especially in CS2.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Well 3rd finished.

And I finished just at the same time CS1 was on sale! It was destiny! So I bought it, currently on Ch3.

I'm really liking it so far, although none of the characters have the charm of Estelle or Joshua.

The battle system evolution is quite nice, but I kinda miss the degree of customization of the old orbment system, this one seems way more rigid.

Yeah, that's the gist of everyone's reaction when going from Sky to Cold Steel lol.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Today is "Happy Married Couples Day" in Japan. Falcom loves to celebrate even the obscure holidays with image references.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
December soon lads

Ys9 reveal! Anyone when the shareholder meeting's held?

Also happy thanksgiving my American friends!

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't they legally brothers? Lol
I don't think that's a problem in Zemuria. If you bring Tio to a certain sequence in Zero, she and Lloyd pretend to be siblings as a cover story. When a guard asks them why they look nothing alike, Tio replies that they aren't blood-related and can even get married if they wish so. Lloyd does call her "naive" after that, but he doesn't dispute the legality of her assertion, so it sounds like he refers to possible social, rather than legal complications such a union could produce.

That's how it is in the leaked patch, at least. Maybe the original Japanese line indicates that Tio is completely wrong. I doubt that, though. If such marriages were illegal, it would have been brought up by that point in the series.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Alfin pretty much says exactly the same during one of her bonding events with Rean in CS2. (the Celdic one)

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's how it is in the leaked patch, at least. Maybe the original Japanese line indicates that Tio is completely wrong. I doubt that, though. If such marriages were illegal, it would have been brought up by that point in the series.
I doubt there is a unified legal code in Zemuira across nations. In fact,we haven't really seen any indication of there being forms of a judiciary in Liberl, for example. I guess whatever the Queen decides is simply enacted by the guards and army.
I assume marriages must be accepted by the Septian Church, so I guess the better question would be how they handle this. If your local priest says no, then you might be out of luck.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I assume marriages must be accepted by the Septian Church, so I guess the better question would be how they handle this. If your local priest says no, then you might be out of luck.

While the Septian religion is extremely wide-spread, I don't think it's an official state religion anywhere, meaning that nations would probably still have regulations that allow atheïsts or animists to legally marry.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Today I've completed another classic PC-88 Falcom game - Joshi Daisei Private. It's a fantastic old school masterpiece that every Falcom fan should experience. The game has three characters: Miyuki, Kyoko and Yuko, each with their own route just like in Ys Origin. The story doesn't revolve around some trite anime cliches with teenagers saving the world, it's a subtle, mature narrative revolving around the theme of the dark undercurrents of society. The writing is simply sublime, keeping a clever minimalist style that doesn't just spoon-feed the player its story with countless never-ending cutscenes but instead requires you to think and fill in the blanks with your own imagination. I'm sure the characters will be particularly appreciated by fans of Trails of Cold Steel, as at first they seem pretty flat but become much more rounded with each stage as they reveal more of themselves to the player. Joshi Daisei also features an incredibly unique art style that is a perfect blend between realistic and anime designs. It has incredible sound design, it's simple and unpretentious, only using simple sounds when necessary and yet manages to craft an overwhelmingly strong atmosphere. The gameplay is focused on puzzles instead of brainddead combat and it's one of the most challenging games Falcom produced. Those who enjoyed the crate pushing puzzles from Xanadu Next will love the tile based puzzles of Joshi Daisei Private.

In short, Joshi Daisei Private is creative, unique, nonindulgent and tantalizing.
10/10

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Today I've completed another classic PC-88 Falcom game - Joshi Daisei Private. It's a fantastic old school masterpiece that every Falcom fan should experience. The game has three characters: Miyuki, Kyoko and Yuko, each with their own route just like in Ys Origin. The story doesn't revolve around some trite anime cliches with teenagers saving the world, it's a subtle, mature narrative revolving around the theme of the dark undercurrents of society. The writing is simply sublime, keeping a clever minimalist style that doesn't just spoon-feed the player its story with countless never-ending cutscenes but instead requires you to think and fill in the blanks with your own imagination. I'm sure the characters will be particularly appreciated by fans of Trails of Cold Steel, as at first they seem pretty flat but become much more rounded with each stage as they reveal more of themselves to the player. Joshi Daisei also features an incredibly unique art style that is a perfect blend between realistic and anime designs. It has incredible sound design, it's simple and unpretentious, only using simple sounds when necessary and yet manages to craft an overwhelmingly strong atmosphere. The gameplay is focused on puzzles instead of brainddead combat and it's one of the most challenging games Falcom produced. Those who enjoyed the crate pushing puzzles from Xanadu Next will love the tile based puzzles of Joshi Daisei Private.

In short, Joshi Daisei Private is creative, unique, nonindulgent and tantalizing.
10/10
26768.jpg
is me right now

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

10/10
All this for what looks like a typical eroge?
Why do I feel rused?

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt there is a unified legal code in Zemuira across nations. In fact,we haven't really seen any indication of there being forms of a judiciary in Liberl, for example. I guess whatever the Queen decides is simply enacted by the guards and army.
I don't think marriage is a civil affair in Zemuria. The wedding seen in Sky SC is officiated by a priest. Mayor Klaus is there, but only as an audience member who doesn't appear to be responsible for handling any paperwork that will make the marriage legal in Liberl's eyes. If this is the case, legal differences between Western Zemurian countries shouldn't be a factor, and a marriage officiated by a Septian priest should be automatically recognized by all countries in which the Church operates.
While the Septian religion is extremely wide-spread, I don't think it's an official state religion anywhere, meaning that nations would probably still have regulations that allow atheïsts or animists to legally marry.
I suspect that Western Zemurian communities that follow other religions (like the Nord, who haven't been fully converted yet, although Septian missionary work is already at an advanced stage over there) have their own religious marriage rites that are also recognized by Western Zemurian states. I don't think we've seen any atheists yet, so I'm not sure if they even exist in the setting. It must be hard to be a skeptic with all the supernatural stuff around.

Additionally, the Septian Church may be willing to perform its rites for people who do not follow its teachings (presumably for missionary purposes). Saya MacLaine, who appears to have been an Easterner (judging by her and her daughter's names), is buried at a Septian cemetery, despite the Easterners seemingly having their own religion based on Buddhism: there's a statue of Jizo near Crossbell's eastern entrance.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I don't think marriage is a civil affair in Zemuria. The wedding seen in Sky SC is officiated by a priest. Mayor Klaus is there, but only as an audience member who doesn't appear to be responsible for handling any paperwork that will make the marriage legal in Liberl's eyes.

And yet at the same time, marriage among the nobility in Erebonia frequently seems arranged and thus political and it'd be weird if the state didn't have the specifics laid out regarding the various holdings of both families...it doesn't seem to be something the Septian Church would actively deal with.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
And yet at the same time, marriage among the nobility in Erebonia frequently seems arranged and thus political and it'd be weird if the state didn't have the specifics laid out regarding the various holdings of both families...it doesn't seem to be something the Septian Church would actively deal with.
That's the same as in many monarchies in Europe of the past. There were established legal rules, that determined the line of succession and other things (mostly fairly fluid as the ultimate rule of "might is right" prevailed overall). You don't need marriage as a civil institution for that, and I don't feel that either Liberl or Erebonia have such structures. Maybe Calvard could be different here, as it's an actual Republic, probably with a tradition on such civil institutions and probably even a judiciary that holds politics in check. So "being married" might really be something that has legal definitions and underpinnings in Calvard (so you might even marry someone without needing the approval of the Septian Church)

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Financial report shows that Falcom recruited three new employees this year, making a total of 57 employees. It is slowly but surely expanding.