• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been in a position where the next game was available after finishing one. I've played FC -> SC -> 3rd -> CS1

Oct 27, 2017
Theres another small thing that occured to me that was never really explained in the games, at least to my knowledge.

At the very end of the game when Loewe attacked Weissmann he said his sword could crack Weissmanns shield because it was forged using the "Divergent Laws". Do we get an explanation somewhere in the later games what these Divergent Laws are meant to be?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
kinda but not really, Cold Steel II brings it up again near the end
no idea if brought up in Zero/Ao

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Theres another small thing that occured to me that was never really explained in the games, at least to my knowledge.

At the very end of the game when Loewe attacked Weissmann he said his sword could crack Weissmanns shield because it was forged using the "Divergent Laws". Do we get an explanation somewhere in the later games what these Divergent Laws are meant to be?
it gets brought up again but no definite explanation yet

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think those japanese devs just come up with some cool names they want to include and just say to themselves "No biggie, we have a few years until the next games to come up with an explanation for all this stuff". :P

zrk

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and welcome to Open Wound who's even newer than me :-).

I'll be sure to drop a message in the import thread should I need help on my journey.

And yeah, the Kiseki withdrawal syndrome is quite severe.
I feel like I miss the characters. I mean, I see Estelle & co as some good old friends at this point.

What's so unique about the series that you miss when playing other games?

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and welcome to Open Wound who's even newer than me :-).

I'll be sure to drop a message in the import thread should I need help on my journey.

And yeah, the Kiseki withdrawal syndrome is quite severe.
I feel like I miss the characters. I mean, I see Estelle & co as some good old friends at this point.

What's so unique about the series that you miss when playing other games?

World building and quality NPC dialogue.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think those japanese devs just come up with some cool names they want to include and just say to themselves "No biggie, we have a few years until the next games to come up with an explanation for all this stuff". :P
Falcom doesn't tend to think this way with this series. In fact, we do have hints as to what it might potentially mean.

In the prototype version of Star Door 14, Campanella uses 『外』(emphasized as such) as a euphemism for death when reporting the deaths of Loewe and Weissmann to the Grandmaster. "Divergent Laws" is written as 『外』の理. A common interpretation of this is that Divergent Laws are related to the afterlife.

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
https://gematsu.com/2017/11/new-leg...d-steel-title-trails-cold-steel-ii-coming-ps4

Falcom announced plans to release The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II for PlayStation 4, as well as a brand new entry in The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel series for PlayStation 4, during its financial results briefing for the fiscal year ending September 2017. All three titles are due out by September 2018 in Japan.

Wasn't expecting them to deliver it so soon. Exciting!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They previously mentioned more details would be coming about PS4 ports of CS1 and 2. I imagine XSEED picks them up because why not, but I doubt they will have the improvements from the PC versions.

And that's a really quick turn-around for CS4. There were a few different rumors/speculation floating around about why it wasn't one game and that CS4 would be released next year, wonder which turned out to be right.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
They previously mentioned more details would be coming about PS4 ports of CS1 and 2. I imagine XSEED picks them up because why not, but I doubt they will have the improvements from the PC versions.

And that's a really quick turn-around for CS4. There were a few different rumors/speculation floating around about why it wasn't one game and that CS4 would be released next year, wonder which turned out to be right.
I wonder if the CS1 & 2 ports will have some new content. Going to be very weird if the PC version has stuff like turbo mode but PS4 version has exclusive content instead.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the CS1 & 2 ports will have some new content. Going to be very weird if the PC version has stuff like turbo mode but PS4 version has exclusive content instead.
If XSEED does the translation again, why wouldn't Falcom give them the code to work on incorporating it into the PC versions?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

My guess is straight ports with technical improvements. Higher resolution because why not, steadier framerate, quicker loading times. If they are doing ports of both games and finishing and releasing CS4 this next year, they probably aren't putting a ton of development muscle into new content and features.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
If XSEED does the translation again, why wouldn't Falcom give them the code to work on incorporating it into the PC versions?
I dunno. I have no idea how much work/difficulty backporting things like (hypothetical) new quests or areas or what-have-you would be.
My guess is straight ports with technical improvements. Higher resolution because why not, steadier framerate, quicker loading times. If they are doing ports of both games and finishing and releasing CS4 this year, they probably aren't putting a ton of development muscle into new content and features.
Good point. They should absolutely implement turbo-mode though.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I have no idea how much work/difficulty backporting things like (hypothetical) new quests or areas or what-have-you would be.
It would be part of the same engine, and the same code base. It would be more than a drop-in replacement, you' need to test it and go through QA, but it also wouldn't be much harder. Kinda like a mod for a game, adding new content.
At worst they may replace the engine completely, with a totally new way of doing anything. Sounds kinda obtuse, though. You'd want things to be a bit compatible to make your life easier.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's funny?

After next year the series will be one game away from literally half the series being the Cold Steel/Erebonian arc.

peggyandfred

Oct 25, 2017
so, everyone thinks rean will still be the protagonist of CS4? not like i've played CS3, but i'm still curious.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
so, everyone thinks rean will still be the protagonist of CS4? not like i've played CS3, but i'm still curious.
Most certainly. Alternatively,
citing Die Nibelungen that has served as source of inspiration for Sen (III), it could be(come) Siegfried, who ultimately kills Alberich.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I kind of wondered if XSEED will record even more new voice lines for the western PS4 releases of Sen I and II, should they decide to take on the project. The audience of PS4 is huge and there's potential there to gain new fans of this series, something that new voice lines could provide a lot of incentives for to jump into the series.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wondered if XSEED will record even more new voice lines for the western PS4 releases of Sen I and II, should they decide to take on the project. The audience of PS4 is huge and there's potential there to gain new fans of this series, something that new voice lines could provide a lot of incentives for to jump into the series.
Something that would be really cool would be if they got the japanese voices this time. Would also shut the annoying "Xseed can't get japenese voices, give everything to NISA or Aksys because muh japenese voices are more important than a good localisation" brigade up.

Yuri

Oct 27, 2017
e9Olnr.jpg

Crimson Knight Estelle needs more love.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Something that would be really cool would be if they got the japanese voices this time. Would also shut the annoying "Xseed can't get japenese voices, give everything to NISA or Aksys because muh japenese voices are more important than a good localisation" brigade up.

I could definitely do without those people shitposting re: lack of JP voices ad infinitum in Steam community forums. Although, I can't imagine console certification cost being affordable, compounded with the licensing costs of JP voices on top of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ithought PS4 was very similiar to a PC? Couldn't they just take the PC version as a base for the PS4? Do we even know if Falcom themselves do the porting?

Come to think of it, is there even a japanese PC version for Cold Steel or is this something exclusive to us westerners?

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
They could also backport the English localisation (text, voices and graphics) into that PS4 port and record additional Japanese voices.

Crimson Knight Estelle needs more love.
They actually added Azure Knight Klose to Akatsuki this week, so I'm expecting Crimson Knight Estelle next week!

uid000035_20171102181139c8853840.png

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great! This probably means we're getting the first two games on PS4 in the west before the third one, right? I hope the series gains even more fans!

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
aaaa that's great! I don't play Akatsuki but that means possible influx of best design art!

How do you like the game so far though?
Akatsuki? I gave up before the end of the prologue, it just isn't fun to play. Even the most ardent (hah!) fans I know have stopped playing because the grind gets insane around chapter 5.

The banter between the protagonists is said to be fairly enjoyable, but the overall story, which I've been summarising for the Kiseki Wiki, is pretty boring.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

All localization coding on the console side of things goes through Falcom (which is generally the case with localization: few to none localization studios are doing any console programming work themselves). The PC ports are the exception to the rule. If XSEED wants anything added to the games that isn't part of Falcom's port, all we can do is hope they'll be able to convince Falcom to add it for the localized version. I think features like turbo mode are a lost hope if they aren't part of the original version, but adding the additional voice work would likely be easier. Depends on whether Falcom would want the localized version to be superior in that regard, though.

I think more voiced lines would be purely fan service, honestly. I don't think anyone who hasn't played the series before will be convinced to give it a try just because there a couple hundred new voiced lines when the game is already extensively voiced to begin with.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I think more voiced lines would be purely fan service, honestly. I don't think anyone who hasn't played the series before will be convinced to give it a try just because there a couple hundred new voiced lines when the game is already extensively voiced to begin with.

Pretty much.

CS1&2 look pretty rough even by PS3 standards, I hope people new to the series will be willing to give them a chance, since visually it's quite a step down from what they are used to on the system. Might put off some potential buyers.

Maybe if they build up some good hype for CS3, though the prospect of tackling 3 massive games might be a bit intimidating for some, it's easier when releases are a year or more apart, PS4 owners will get all 3 in a short timeframe.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Will Xseed announce it soon as well?

All the prep work has already been done and redone, but it still needs to be implemented and published again.

OP
OP
Synohan

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will be the Evolution version for the Sen games since they are technically next up. I also wonder how easy it would be to localize considering the base game and voices are already done.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I still stand firm that the rumours (if you're talking about the Chinese devs asked for a split one) is completely baseless. But next year release is normal, they managed to pull the same with Zero/Ao and CS1 and 2 after which it took three years for CS3 to release. So they'll probably do another small hiatus after next year for planning and releasing other games.
It would hilarious to see NISA get the ps4 ports for some mundane reason without them licensing XSEED's translation.
Lately i have seen rumours fly around that XSEED will never be able to get Jap dub for Falcom games because they have beef with Kadokawa related to something with Killer is Dead.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I still stand firm that the rumours (if you're talking about the Chinese devs asked for a split one) is completely baseless. But next year release is normal, they managed to pull the same with Zero/Ao and CS1 and 2 after which it took three years for CS3 to release. So they'll probably do another small hiatus after next year for planning and releasing other games.

Considering the follow up games usually reuse most of the former games' assets, it's not really surprising or worrying they are able to have a quick turn around either.

It would hilarious to see NISA get the ps4 ports for some mundane reason without them licensing XSEED's translation.
Lately i have seen rumours fly around that XSEED will never be able to get Jap dub for Falcom games because they have beef with Kadokawa related to something with Killer is Dead.

Hmm... would NISA even have to license XSEED's translation? I was under the impression the rights to localized versions usually revert back to the original rights holder (so Falcom in this case).

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would Falcom really trust NISA with CS1&2 after the YS VIII fiasco? I mean, XSEED has already done all the work. NISA would find some way to screw it up, like they always do.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The real question is who Falcom will choose for the Calvard arc when that comes around.

Little birdie messaged me on the XSEED forums to say that rumor's blatantly untrue, as well as the one where XSEED's been denied retail marketing and review opportunities by the ESA over publishing Senran Kagura,

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
There were gaps, but IIRC even with the missing lines they were still among XSEED's largest voice acting projects at the time, if not the largest.

Worth pointing out Kivik was asking for new voice work in addition to the expanded dub in the PC version. I wasn't referring to the original console version when I said "extensively voiced".

Regardless, I think the original version was fine as well with the notable exception of Rean being silent for no reason a lot of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, I think the original version was fine as well with the notable exception of Rean being silent for no reason a lot of the time.
The missing dialog is far more egregious than just Rean. Especially in CS2 where you have characters that were voiced in CS1 lose their voice and get talked around their bubbles. Irene, Scarlet, and Vulcan all have this happen. Then you have all the incidental NPCs talked around as well, like all the thors students other than class vii and patrick, rean's parents. The gaps in CS and CS2 were incredibly jarring and its unfortunate that XSEED had to wait until they were able to create their own PC version to remedy it.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've only played CS1 on PS3 so far, but characters randomly having no voice was a pretty weird thing to get used to. It's a shame because I thought the voice acting overall was great, but I still think that a scene should either be entirely voiced or not at all. The inconsistency kinda takes me out of it. Glad that the pc versions remedy this somewhat.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've only played CS1 on PS3 so far, but characters randomly having no voice was a pretty weird thing to get used to. It's a shame because I thought the voice acting overall was great, but I still think that a scene should either be entirely voiced or not at all. The inconsistency kinda takes me out of it. Glad that the pc versions remedy this somewhat.
The PC version remedied it almost entirely. There was only a couple scenes in the latter half of the game that retained the issue with character's lines being unvoiced while the lines around it were voiced. One of those being Toval who they said they were going to patch in some lines for him while they did the CS2 voice recording, since they had to bring his VA in for that.

The least talked about benefit is how great some of the newly voiced in their entirety scenes were. Can't find any PC lets plays that are far enough, but there is a scene in Roer that was completely newly voiced and its incredible.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PC version remedied it almost entirely. There was only a couple scenes in the latter half of the game that retained the issue with character's lines being unvoiced while the lines around it were voiced. One of those being Toval who they said they were going to patch in some lines for him while they did the CS2 voice recording, since they had to bring his VA in for that.

The least talked about benefit is how great some of the newly voiced in their entirety scenes were. Can't find any PC lets plays that are far enough, but there is a scene in Roer that was completely newly voiced and its incredible.

Sounds great. With all the talk about PS4 versions I'm really hoping Xseed will jump on that and add this stuff to it. Sounds like the CS2 PC version is still being worked on though, so I'm probably just gonna play it on PS3 in the next month or so since I have no patience. lol

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why this even happened in the first place. Someone just decided "we don't have enough money to voice everything, so we only voice the sentences here, here and here" and nobody stopped him?

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. With all the talk about PS4 versions I'm really hoping Xseed will jump on that and add this stuff to it. Sounds like the CS2 PC version is still being worked on though, so I'm probably just gonna play it on PS3 in the next month or so since I have no patience. lol
unfortunately with a console version, it will probably fall to Falcom again. Xssed has all the files so hopefully falcom is willing to implement them.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Is Japanese voice acting so expensive that Falcom cannot afford it, but a still small company like XSEED affords it (apparently) quite easily? I mean, no one forced XSEED to do more and they even wanted to do more for the PS3 versions, but couldn't for technical reasons.