• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The "vendor" on the first floor sells the mirrors for a stupidly expensive price (easy enough to farm in the epilogue though). Using them lets you play as Vita, Crow, Altina, Lloyd, and Rixia. In NG+, beating the final boss with these characters nets you a couple lines of dialogue from each of them at the end. The Crow one was really touching imo.
Thank you! I'll try it, I finished the game but as I won't be playing anything until 3H I like to do some extras in CS II. Yesterday I did read through the 2 Gambler Jack books, and while they are not Carnelia, are good enough. I hope that the Calvard arc has some Nike X Kilika doing some secret mission.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the panel in person and it was hilarious. I'd recommend everyone to watch it.

Except when Kondo appeared at the end instead of McBurn smh

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to do the unthinkable and actually finished CS2 tonight lol. Blatantly cheated my way through it, and I'm happy it's over now. It was one of my RPG Blitz games, so I posted some quick thoughts on it in the RPG Community thread.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
That panel was pretty hilarious! Sara's VA is so into it, I love it. Also, with the delay announcement, i'll have even more time to go through Zero/Ao, which I'll be doing throughout July and then i'll be all caught up in time for CSIII.

What a journey it was.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this got pretty dark super quick. Poor Tio...

The music that plays when the talk of drugs and the cult came up sent chills down my spine.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Near the end of Act 2 of CS2 and I think my main problem with it is
all the giant robot/divine knight business. The battles aren't nearly as interesting from a gameplay perspective, and it keeps reducing what would be interesting dramatic setpieces to a series of staged fights. The civil war plotline feels like a missed opportunity when you've got a literal deus ex machina swooping in all the time.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to do the unthinkable and actually finished CS2 tonight lol. Blatantly cheated my way through it, and I'm happy it's over now. It was one of my RPG Blitz games, so I posted some quick thoughts on it in the RPG Community thread.

I don't know why you played it honestly when you've been so negative about the first game. I don't thiunk CS 3 is going to do much to change you opinion on the series either

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why you played it honestly when you've been so negative about the first game. I don't thiunk CS 3 is going to do much to change you opinion on the series either

CS1 was fine, I have no idea what you're talking

E: I will say that the reason I'm excited for CS3 is mainly because I can't wait to see how they tie the Sky/Crossbell stories and characters into the Erebonia saga. I'm not too interested in Rean's story... or rather, wasn't. I spoiled some random bits of CS3 for myself last night and now I'm more interested in that aspect, too.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
CS1 was fine, I have no idea what you're talking

E: I will say that the reason I'm excited for CS3 is mainly because I can't wait to see how they tie the Sky/Crossbell stories and characters into the Erebonia saga. I'm not too interested in Rean's story... or rather, wasn't. I spoiled some random bits of CS3 for myself last night and now I'm more interested in that aspect, too.

Hmm I must be confusing you with some else, I was sure I remembered you hating on CS1 lol

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I must be confusing you with some else, I was sure I remembered you hating on CS1 lol

Well, I can't say I remember much what I've said about the game in the past, but I do remember finding the CS1 & 2 OTs back on GAF fairly frustrating as far as OTs go, so I've probably come off as more negative than intended there. I probably had the same avatar then, though my username was different.

But nah, I don't straight up hate any of the Trails games.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I can't say I remember much what I've said about the game in the past, but I do remember finding the CS1 & 2 OTs back on GAF fairly frustrating as far as OTs go, so I've probably come off as more negative than intended there. I probably had the same avatar then, though my username was different.

But nah, I don't straight up hate any of the Trails games.

There's definitely someone who worships Sky Trilogy and despises the Cold Steel games I was confusing you with, whoever it is I'm sure they'll be back when CS3 launches :P

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Elliot's just so precious. His innocence must be protected.

I forgot about the scream he lets out in Nord when Sharon puts on her Ouroboros face and threatens Bleublanc. XD

Near the end of Act 2 of CS2 and I think my main problem with it is
all the giant robot/divine knight business. The battles aren't nearly as interesting from a gameplay perspective, and it keeps reducing what would be interesting dramatic setpieces to a series of staged fights. The civil war plotline feels like a missed opportunity when you've got a literal deus ex machina swooping in all the time.

Got to a part earlier where Rean was like "we can't learn and grow if we just rely on Valimar to solve all our problems" lol.

At least they're self-aware.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Finished with Zero, It's actually criminal that this does not have an official English release yet. Like, an actual crime.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Zerker did say things have picked back up for Geofront recently, at least. But any lingering hope of it releasing before CS3 is basically gone now.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
Finished with Zero, It's actually criminal that this does not have an official English release yet. Like, an actual crime.

It's so so sooooo good. I hope people actually get to play an official English release next time. After having finished it a few weeks ago (and playing the last chapter of Ao now), I can see why this is on top of a lot of Kiseki fans' list as their favorite arc in the series. It's that good.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's so so sooooo good. I hope people actually get to play an official English release next time. After having finished it a few weeks ago (and playing the last chapter of Ao now), I can see why this is on top of a lot of Kiseki fans' list as their favorite arc in the series. It's that good.

Entirely agreed. The Crossbell arc and Ao in particular smack the fuck outta the other Trails games.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Alternatively, I'm on chapter 4 of Zero (and haven't finished it yet) and I by far prefer CS1 and 2, Zero is by no means a bad game, but nothing's happening for the first 4 chapters. There's only the barest hint of a meta plot, and I dunno. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again, unlike CS1 and 2 (despite what I said earlier in thread about not wanting to play cs2 again because of the final boss). I am thinking about playing diverstessment in CS2 again after I finish both Zero and Ao.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the Crossbell problem makes me sad since I know I won't be playing them before CS3. I started watching a summary video for Zero the other day but I felt so disgusted with myself for spoiling a Trails story that way I had to stop.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Thinking about the Crossbell problem makes me sad since I know I won't be playing them before CS3. I started watching a summary video for Zero the other day but I felt so disgusted with myself for spoiling a Trails story that way I had to stop.
I'll wait for the fan edit, and as we don't even know when CS IV will be released, I think that waiting until CS IV is close to release to play CS III makes more sense, unless you won't play any non-official release the best thing to do is wait for a quality Zero edit, then play Ao and then play CS III not too long before IV.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I'll wait for the fan edit, and as we don't even know when CS IV will be released, I think that waiting until CS IV is close to release to play CS III makes more sense, unless you won't play any non-official release the best thing to do is wait for a quality Zero edit, then play Ao and then play CS III not too long before IV.

If it makes you feel better, it seems CS III ends on a really spiteful cliffhanger that puts Sky FC and Cold Steel I to shame, so the wait for CS IV is probably a lot more bearable before playing through CS III.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If it makes you feel better, it seems CS III ends on a really spiteful cliffhanger that puts Sky FC and Cold Steel I to shame, so the wait for CS IV is probably a lot more bearable before playing through CS III.
Well tbh I'd spoiled mysfelf a little bit (watched som english-translated gameplays etc...) and I kind of know what happens between III and IV. This is the main reason I won't play III at launch (the other reason is that I won't play it before the Crossbell games), and as I fully expect IV to be released at least one year after III, I'll play the patience game and wait at least 6 months to play the next Kiseki game.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
speaking for myself, I'm really glad I played Zero and Ao, but the extremely rough translation for Zero in particular hindered my enjoyment of the game enough that I'm looking forward to replaying it once the geofront edit is done. If you can wait on geofront and don't mind not playing CS3 at launch, I'd honestly recommend it over playing them now. Just keep in mind that Ao will still be a mess when you do decide to play it, but the current Ao translation is a improvement from Zero's despite still being very rough.

barring a disaster, I think we'll be getting CS4 next year, so anyone who decides to wait on Zero, will probably still be able to play it, Ao, and CS3 before CS4 launches.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
speaking for myself, I'm really glad I played Zero and Ao, but the extremely rough translation for Zero in particular hindered my enjoyment of the game enough that I'm looking forward to replaying it once the geofront edit is done. If you can wait on geofront and don't mind not playing CS3 at launch, I'd honestly recommend it over playing them now. Just keep in mind that Ao will still be a mess when you do decide to play it, but the current Ao translation is a improvement from Zero's despite still being very rough.

barring a disaster, I think we'll be getting CS4 next year, so anyone who decides to wait on Zero, will probably still be able to play it, Ao, and CS3 before CS4 launches.
That's exactly what I want to avoid at all costs: experiencing a Kiseki game without enjoying the writing. I like to talk with all NPCs, I enjoy some dialogues a lot... I don't expect the NISA translations or even the Geofront edit to be on par with what XSEED did, and I'm OK with a more literal translation as long as it's understandable and I don't need to be constantly "editing" the sentences to myself, but machine translations are not what I want to read. Even if the lore, story are incredible, I don't think that I'll enjoy that much a Kiseki game with unedited text.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 in The 3rd. Just finished the Monochrome Schoolhouse and it had the first bit of info that I had to look up online. I had no idea you had to clear all the Black Knights...

I am enjoying it, for the most part, there is a bit too much repetition in format/dialogue with unlocking like 15 sealing stones. The side stories are cool for the most part, besides for the last level of the Fishing Minigame... fuck that.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, and to follow up on one of my earlier posts, I definitely got the bangers I was looking for from Zero. Game has a great soundtrack (as usual)

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 on PS4 and I'm about 40 hours in the first game and I'm loving it so far.

Until a few months ago I had no idea this series even existed (didn't know much about Falcom games to be honest).

So I've read some stuff about the series and I'm seeing that maybe I should have started with the Sky games first. As someone who don't own a PC, what is the best way to play these games? Is it worth getting a PSP/Vita for that? (would love to play more Ys games too).

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 on PS4 and I'm about 40 hours in the first game and I'm loving it so far.

Until a few months ago I had no idea this series even existed (didn't know much about Falcom games to be honest).

So I've read some stuff about the series and I'm seeing that maybe I should have started with the Sky games first. As someone who don't own a PC, what is the best way to play these games? Is it worth getting a PSP/Vita for that? (would love to play more Ys games too).

The Sky games can run on a toaster. Any old laptop will run those games perfectly and if you don't wanna game on your PC just hook up an HDMI to a TV or use the Steam Link app on your Apple TV/Ipad/Tablet/etc.

For reference, only FC-SC are on the PSP, 3rd is PC only and the PC versions of the Sky games are such monumental improvements over the PSP versions thanks to all the patches added into it like the cleaned up localization, the graphics settings, turbo mode, etc. that it's hard to recommend the PSP versions these days.

It's a shame we got that dumb spin off fan game instead smh

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
As someone who don't own a PC, what is the best way to play these games? Is it worth getting a PSP/Vita for that? (would love to play more Ys games too).
PC is sadly the only way to play (officialy) the entire Sky trilogy. Also the PC version has been improved and fixed a lot since the release, turbo mode was added as well as text changes, while the PSP version remains as it was launched. You can play the games with any laptop etc..., the hardware requirements are almost non-existing.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

There's no reason to buy a psp or a vita just to play trails in the sky. As others have said, just about any pc can run the games.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I would find it hard to go back to Sky 1 or 2 without the turbo mode, especially when avoiding ambushes can be so annoying when you have a train of chatracters running behind you

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember ever using Turbo on Sky 1 and 2 on PC... was it something recently added or something that I missed?

According to The 3rd's in-game clock, I have played 27 hours. According to Steam's playtime, I have played like 20 hours. That is how much time Turbo has saved me so far in the game.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Turbo was added to FC and SC on PC on the fans' request shortly after 3rd's release.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm in the middle of Chapter 6 in The 3rd. Just finished the Monochrome Schoolhouse and it had the first bit of info that I had to look up online. I had no idea you had to clear all the Black Knights...

I am enjoying it, for the most part, there is a bit too much repetition in format/dialogue with unlocking like 15 sealing stones. The side stories are cool for the most part, besides for the last level of the Fishing Minigame... fuck that.

I believe I got stuck on the Black Knights when I played, too (and it was the only part that stumped me)...and then I forgot the solution and had to look it up again when I replayed the game. It's a section I find oddly counter-intuitive, since I can't think of any other part in the series that stumped me so badly.

The fishing mini-game's last level can end up being surprisingly easy, if you get lucky. It's kind of a crapshoot, since the opponent can screw up a lot and gift you with the lead. I don't think it's worth spending a lot of time trying to win, though, since the reward sucks and the amusing cutscene can be watched online, instead.

Like others have said, PC is the best way to play the Sky trilogy. The PC versions not only have better, updated translations but also a few quality of life features that were later patched in, and Sky 3 is only available legally on PC, anyway.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Um, no spoilers, but holy shit, the finale of Zero is awesome. I'm not sure it was worth the 54 hours I put into the game, but it's really fuckin' great.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Ao No Kisski earlier today. My God what a game it was. So many highs. Just one ridiculous moment after the other. An amazing game all around. The Crossbell arc might be my favorite set of games in the entire Kiseki series. It's just so good.

P.S. It's amazing how much of Cold Steel 1 and 2 are "spoiled" in the Crossbell games too. So a lot of people who've played the Crossbell games already know the "major" stuff that goes down in Cold Steel. Just amazing work by Falcom in showing both sides and tying up the story.

Can't wait for CSIII!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just finished Zero. See previous comments about how awesome the start to the last chapter was. I'm just happy that the final boss wasn't too bad, and the resolution to one arc made me cry. On to Ao.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Finished CS2, and although there were several sections I liked, the overall experience (especially the epilogue dungeon) felt like a bit of a slog.

I'm looking forward to the series picking up again with 3, going by what people are saying so far.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Love seeing game completion impressions getting posted on the regular in the run up to CSIII

The hype is real.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Ao No Kisski earlier today. My God what a game it was. So many highs. Just one ridiculous moment after the other. An amazing game all around. The Crossbell arc might be my favorite set of games in the entire Kiseki series. It's just so good.

P.S. It's amazing how much of Cold Steel 1 and 2 are "spoiled" in the Crossbell games too. So a lot of people who've played the Crossbell games already know the "major" stuff that goes down in Cold Steel. Just amazing work by Falcom in showing both sides and tying up the story.

Can't wait for CSIII!
I love reading these impressions.

Of all the twists Ao dishes out, my favorite is related to CS (HUGE AO SPOILER)
When you realize that CS prologue scene was slightly different because like Zero's prologue, it was rewritten by KeA. This was mind blowing to me.
I guess this was obvious to people who played these games by order of release.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

When you realize that CS prologue scene was slightly different because like Zero's prologue, it was rewritten by KeA. This was mind blowing to me.

Actually that was just Falcom not wanting to spoil your future party members sadly, not related to Ao's craziness.

The rail guns are loaded with blanks for the first round, which gives Rean and co. the time to stop the firing mechanism. Which is completely unrelated to whether or not the extra party members are there. Since the game implies with the first viewing that Rean was too late to stop the firing, the "difference" in the scene doesn't exist. Sadly, it was just carelessness by Falcom.

Falcom makes this even more clear later in CS1 when Rean says directly that without Sara and Neithardt they wouldn't have been able to stop the terrorists from firing the live rounds. He doesn't bring up Crow and Millium making a difference like KeA bringing up Joshua and Estelle.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually that was just Falcom not wanting to spoil your future party members sadly, not related to Ao's craziness.

The rail guns are loaded with blanks for the first round, which gives Rean and co. the time to stop the firing mechanism. Which is completely unrelated to whether or not the extra party members are there. Since the game implies with the first viewing that Rean was too late to stop the firing, the "difference" in the scene doesn't exist. Sadly, it was just carelessness by Falcom.

Falcom makes this even more clear later in CS1 when Rean says directly that without Sara and Neithardt they wouldn't have been able to stop the terrorists from firing the live rounds. He doesn't bring up Crow and Millium making a difference like KeA bringing up Joshua and Estelle.
Damn, I preferred the version in my head, even though yours makes more sense. I guess this was actually a kind of red herring for people who had played the games as they released.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017

Almost blew my mind when you mentioned that possibility. But that twist was insane though. Personally was a "jaw dropping" moment when I found out. Amazing how they tied up Zero and Ao with that.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I have not played trails 3rd yet and I know that characters from past games make an appearance, but I want to know if it's sort of a "what if" game. I've seen some footage and saw that you can to free characters, are these the actual characters or an illusion?