• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^Case in point

She's a total sweetheart outside of harmless "grrrrr" but that incident basically ruined her forever in the eyes of many

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
Not the kind of post I was expecting from someone called Rean, but Cold Steel is nothing without Crow to tie it all together
what if i told you i have this nickname since 2005...
its actually short from "Reanimator", i used to play a healer in mmo.

playing CS1 and CS2 and having everyone address you directly WITH voice acting was a hell of an experience let me tell you lmao

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows whats the name of the song that plays after the final boss fight in the demo?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
gQ7SfWG.png
I really hope that line made it through editing.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Kiseki fam, this is not port begging per se, but does anyone plugged in to the community know if there is even a glimmer of hope for the Cold Steel games to come to Switch? Family obligations have limited my PS4 time and I absolutely adore the Cold Steel games.
I am exactly in the same situation.
Sadly falcom Is almost a Sony first party (and lost jp sales from vita with cs3 did not matter for them) , hopefully nisa will do something in the near future but i find It difficult with cs3/4

Anyway being on ps4 means i will finish cs3 longer than a switch game and Will make the wait for cs4 english bearable lol

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Laura is the best. So I at least agree the poll is trash. Altina so much higher than her is sad. And I don't even think Altina is bad. She's just not the best heroine.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Not even the Japanese fanbase likes her... How the fuck does a garbage character like Alisa get over 500 votes

It amuses me to no end how Jusis always finds his way at the top in these polls somehow, whether it be waifu polls or what have you. I'll take a male tsundere hero for Calvard, thanks.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Japan has a thing for underage characters, so that's expected.. but yeah Laura should be higher.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you nerds stop obsessing over pointless polls that don't matter

Cold Steel has had like, 5 of them

Don't get bummed/hyped over them

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
I don't understand why he's so high. I found him kind of boring, and like, third from the bottom in class vii. (guess the other two. if you like)
I like using him for combat, by the end of CS2 he's in a very interesting situation thanks to his family, and also I guess I just have more tolerance towards male tsunderes compared to female ones, I find them actually endearing

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I like using him for combat, by the end of CS2 he's in a very interesting situation thanks to his family, and also I guess I just have more tolerance towards male tsunderes compared to female ones, I find them actually endearing

Ah, allright. I agree that the most interesting thing about him is Rufus :)

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why he's so high. I found him kind of boring, and like, third from the bottom in class vii. (guess the other two. if you like)
Male tsundere, typically a no nonsense character with a wicked sense of humor in the face of the cheese Lean Mean Rean Machine, and prefers riding horses over motorcycles. Also, great with kids. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Zero no Kiseki Chapter 3

That race is my favorite scene in the game so far, and the conversation Randy and Lloyd had afterwards was heartwarming as well

Oct 25, 2017
yea im not forming any character opinions off a demo (which I havent played anyway lol). Like forming any character opinions off the prologue of CS1 would've been ridiculous.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Male tsundere, typically a no nonsense character with a wicked sense of humor in the face of the cheese Lean Mean Rean Machine, and prefers riding horses over motorcycles. Also, great with kids. What's not to like?

His complete and total lack of personality apart from hating Machias, and not being quite as shitty a noble as his brother, but not as good of a noble as Laura?

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jusis has plenty of personality

He just isn't reliant on a gimmick to carry him, is fairly textured and has a solid arc to boot. He's about as good as it gets for OG class VII, lol

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think any character has a personality if those are your standards for what constitutes a personality.

No, those were exceptions to his lack of one. He has minor personality traits, 2 of which I mentioned, but for me he was basically a non-entity. Hell, Elliot had more of a personality: he liked playing instruments, he was shy and sensative, he went to thors to please his dead, who he's been living in the shadow of, and he was afraid of disapointing. His considered his sister as somewhat of a mother figure.

Jusis has plenty of personality

He just isn't reliant on a gimmick to carry him, is fairly textured and has a solid arc to boot. He's about as good as it gets for OG class VII, lol

I'm of the opinion that Jusis is there just to introduce us to Rufus, who's a far more important character.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of the CS cast got done dirty by the first two games. Some of the field studies in particular being fairly short which is where most of their character development happens. Definitely felt the kind of "rushed nature" considering I played CS1 and 2 after finishing Zero and Ao which even with the not great translation of Zero and while not as terrible as Zero Ao's still kinda spotty in some places there's a lot of character development packed between the two games even for the characters that are just introduced in Ao.

Any scene where Elliot and his dad are on the same screen is great though. I hope CS3 gives some more development on the original cast.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
yea im not forming any character opinions off a demo (which I havent played anyway lol). Like forming any character opinions off the prologue of CS1 would've been ridiculous.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how many voices grew on me throughout CS1. Won't bash any of CS3's voice work until I'm at least halfway in, but I will say I like most of what I hear so far.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Seen plenty of hate for Juna on twitter now that the demo is out.
I think shes fine?
Might be because she got to be the unfortunate victim of
of playing as "Alisa" in the callback to the CS1 prologue "Female character fell breast first onto male character" scene, which was already a bad scene and just weird for the characters to do in CS1, let alone call back to it in CS3.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
His complete and total lack of personality apart from hating Machias, and not being quite as shitty a noble as his brother, but not as good of a noble as Laura?

How is he not as good of a noble as Laura? The two aren't exactly competing for a similar spot, but rather they're two sides of the same coin.

Laura's from a stable home, has a doting father who loves her and who she looks up to and she was raised in a small community where she's adored and even has her own harem/fanclub. At the same time, she's extremely sheltered, is rather naïve as a result and tends to relate everything she does to her swordsmanship, which hampers her ability to relate to people who don't share her fixation. This even comes back in her use in battle, where she's your proverbial hammer that turns everything into a nail, but has little utility aside from the one thing she's extremely good at.

Her development comes from becoming aware of this overspecialization and trying to bond with people who fall outside her usual comfort zone in an attempt to become more wholesome. Despite that, she already knows what she wants wants out of life from the get go and where she wants her life's path to go.

Jusis is the antithesis of all of that. He's from a broken home, has a father who merely tolerates his presence at the best of times and he was raised in a large city with a large noble population who kisses up to him to his face and shit-talks him behind his back. Navigating the viper pit of high society, which he wasn't born into but introduced to as a teenager (causing him to aggressively play up the part of the detached noble), left him utterly jaded (pun not intended) and his half noble-half commoner status also left him somewhat isolated, leaving him to find solace in the company of horses and children who are too young to have the complexities of the class system drilled into them. His not-noble/not-commoner status even comes back in his role in battle, where he's Class VII's most prominent jack-of-all-trades.

Jusis is by far the most cynical and world-weary member of Class VII, warning his classmates not to blindly trust others and frequently offering viewpoints that run contrary to the rest of the class, such as the viability of Bracers in the Empire, the uglier side of Osborne's reformists' faction or Rean's lack of self-preservation instincts, which the more optimistic Alisa interpreted as selflessness and a heroic streak, but which the more jaded Jusis (rightly) saw as Rean being a martyr looking for a cause. He has a good instinct for Erebonia's complicated politics which Laura, a fellow Kreuzen junior noble, is relatively ignorant about.

Jusis' development comes from coming out of his shell, learning to trust others and allowing the rest of the class' idealism to rub off on him just a little while trying to define his own concept of nobility and finding his place in the world, which unlike Laura, he wasn't quite sure of at the beginning. Unlike, say, Elliot, I kinda feel that by the end of CS2, Jusis is still busy growing.

No, those were exceptions to his lack of one. He has minor personality traits, 2 of which I mentioned, but for me he was basically a non-entity. Hell, Elliot had more of a personality: he liked playing instruments, he was shy and sensative, he went to thors to please his dead, who he's been living in the shadow of, and he was afraid of disapointing. His considered his sister as somewhat of a mother figure.

I'm of the opinion that Jusis is there just to introduce us to Rufus, who's a far more important character.

I didn't get the impression he considered Fiona a mother figure, seeing that he has more than enough memories of his real mom. His sister just likes to act as one because she shares her father's overbearingly coddling nature.

Also, you just described the peak of Elliot's development. From that point on, he becomes kind of one note (if you pardon the pun) while Jusis continues to gently but gradually develop. Heck, Jusis' bonding events in CS2 are fairly varied and reflect his complex position in the situation of the events that take place during the game. Elliot's bonding events are pretty much all the same thing to the point where you eventually start being able to predict how they're gonna go.

Last edited:

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
How is he not as good of a noble as Laura? The two aren't exactly competing for a similar spot, but rather they're two sides of the same coin.

Laura's from a stable home, has a doting father who loves her and who she looks up to and she was raised in a small community where she's adored and even has her own harem/fanclub. At the same time, she's extremely sheltered, is rather naïve as a result and tends to relate everything she does to her swordsmanship, which hampers her ability to relate to people who don't share her fixation. This even comes back in her use in battle, where she's your proverbial hammer that turns everything into a nail, but has little utility aside from the one thing she's extremely good at.

Her development comes from becoming aware of this overspecialization and trying to bond with people who fall outside her usual comfort zone in an attempt to become more wholesome. Despite that, she already knows what she wants wants out of life from the get go and where she wants her life's path to go.

Jusis is the antithesis of all of that. He's from a broken home, has a father who merely tolerates his presence at the best of times and he was raised in a large city with a large noble population who kisses up to him to his face and shit-talks him behind his back. Navigating the viper pit of high society, which he wasn't born into but introduced to as a teenager (causing him to aggressively play up the part of the detached noble), left him utterly jaded (pun not intended) and his half noble-half commoner status also left him somewhat isolated, leaving him to find solace in the company of horses and children who are too young to have the complexities of the class system drilled into them. His not-noble/not-commoner status even comes back in his role in battle, where he's Class VII's most prominent jack-of-all-trades.

Jusis is by far the most cynical and world-weary member of Class VII, warning his classmates not to blindly trust others and frequently offering viewpoints that run contrary to the rest of the class, such as the viability of Bracers in the Empire, the uglier side of Osborne's reformists' faction or Rean's lack of self-preservation instincts, which the more optimistic Alisa interpreted as selflessness and a heroic streak, but which the more jaded Jusis (rightly) saw as Rean being a martyr looking for a cause. He has a good instinct for Erebonia's complicated politics which Laura, a fellow Kreuzen junior noble, is relatively ignorant about.

Jusis' development comes from coming out of his shell, learning to trust others and allowing the rest of the class' idealism to rub off on him just a little while trying to define his own concept of nobility and finding his place in the world, which unlike Laura, he wasn't quite sure of at the beginning. Unlike, say, Elliot, I kinda feel that by the end of CS2, Jusis is still busy growing.

I didn't get the impression he considered Fiona a mother figure, seeing that he has more than enough memories of his real mom. His sister just likes to act as one because she shares her father's overbearingly coddling nature.

Also, you just described the peak of Elliot's development. From that point on, he becomes kind of one note (if you pardon the pun) while Jusis continues to gently but gradually develop. Heck, Jusis' bonding events in CS2 are fairly varied and reflect his complex position in the situation of the events that take place during the game. Elliot's bonding events are pretty much all the same thing to the point where you eventually start being able to predict how they're gonna go.

To be honest, I didn't get that impression of jusis at all, but then i almost completely ignored him when it came to bonding points (which I think is the game's fault for making you choose) and perhaps that impacted my ability to care about the character. When I said "not as good of a noble" I meant that Laura is the kind who holds herself with a quiet dignity, whereas Jusis came off as an asshole. Look at how Laura dealt with her dislike of Fie, versus Jusis. Laura recognized she had a problem, but couldn't bring herself to deal with it for a while. Jusis just antagonized Machias till they overcame it (I forget the details, it's been a while since CS1. Also see previous about my complete and total disinterest in both of them).

Erpy

May 31, 2018
To be honest, I didn't get that impression of jusis at all, but then i almost completely ignored him when it came to bonding points (which I think is the game's fault for making you choose) and perhaps that impacted my ability to care about the character. When I said "not as good of a noble" I meant that Laura is the kind who holds herself with a quiet dignity, whereas Jusis came off as an asshole. Look at how Laura dealt with her dislike of Fie, versus Jusis. Laura recognized she had a problem, but couldn't bring herself to deal with it for a while. Jusis just antagonized Machias till they overcame it (I forget the details, it's been a while since CS1. Also see previous about my complete and total disinterest in both of them).

Jusis' softer side often shows in his bonding events as he frequently counsils Rean on the particulars and trappings of being a noble in high society, tries to cheer him up (in his own slightly tsunderish way) when he's feeling down and plays hide and seek with kids who were wronged by his father's actions. He'll probably always act a little bit prickish to keep up appearances, but it's not particularly hard to see how much of an act that is and he has his own sense of dignity that other characters take note of.

The difference between the Laura-Fie conflict and the Jusis-Machias conflict was that the former WAS completely on Laura; Fie never did anything to antagonize her and Laura merely judged her on her background, which the latter had no control over. Jusis' problem with Machias wasn't due to his background, but due to his overbearing anti-nobility rants. Unlike the former conflict, the latter was very much a both sides-thing. If anything, Laura's behavior was a lot less justified than Jusis', so it's logical it's kept more low-key.

Last edited:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jusis is a cool dude and Machias is a dweeb, that's really all that needs to be said.

Also Alisa is love and I will never not find it amusing how many people keep crying over her because of the prologue years later. I get it, I rolled my eyes at that whole ordeal too because anime but you gotta let some things go!

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of Class VII was having people from different social backgrounds live and solve problems together. Jusis does a great job of facilitating this by being a noble who isn't a meme (Patrick) or someone who's alreadt chill with commoners (Laura).

He's extremely important to the overall group dynamic.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Jusis is a cool dude and Machias is a dweeb, that's really all that needs to be said.

Also Alisa is love and I will never not find it amusing how many people keep crying over her because of the prologue years later. I get it, I rolled my eyes at that whole ordeal too because anime but you gotta let some things go!

I still get amused by people who unironically say that they're still bugged after all these years by Alisa "not being able to let things go". ;)

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
finished the demo yesterday, the localisation reads palatable enough, though the character bios are written in an awkward manner. The turbo addition works perfectly which is great, i'll just keep it on by default probably. I just really dislike the performance of the voice acting so far, it sounds for more stilted than CS1 and 2 did to me.

I also finished Ao last week but i still need to collect my thoughts on it, i find it a mixed bag honestly.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Machias is one belligerent, obnoxious guy and Jusis simply dishes out what he receives. I wouldn't say Laura's tendency to pull away when faced with interpersonal problems is necessarily better just because it's more "quiet". Especially when not only Fie, she also lets her friendship with Monica deteriorates due to her own insecurities.

Also as nobles, they're both beloved by the people of their respective towns.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Machias is one belligerent, obnoxious guy and Jusis simply dishes out what he receives. I wouldn't say Laura's tendency to pull away when faced with personal problems is necessarily better just because it's more "quiet". Especially when not only Fie, she also lets her friendship with Monica deteriorates due to her own insecurities.

That's fair. I probably did discount Machias' part in Jusis' attitude towards him. You're right that Laura running away from her problems isn't necessarily the best way to deal with it, but I do that a lot in my life, so the way she dealt with it was possibly more apealing than Jusis' more aggressive tactics. I should replay and do all the bonding links. Sounds like I misssed a lot.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I probably did discount Machias' part in Jusis' attitude towards him. You're right that Laura running away from her problems isn't necessarily the best way to deal with it, but I do that a lot in my life, so the way she dealt with it was possibly more apealing than Jusis' more aggressive tactics. I should replay and do all the bonding links. Sounds like I misssed a lot.
if you start a new game+ you can get unlimited bonding events so you can see them all for all characters

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
if you start a new game+ you can get unlimited bonding events so you can see them all for all characters

Yeah, I know, and that was one of the things I was gonna spend points on. I think i might hold off. I don't want to do 6 trails games in the 2 months before CS3 (i've already done 3, and working on the 4th.)

Erpy

May 31, 2018

While Legram is pretty much filled with Laura-groupies old and young, Jusis' position in Bareahard is a little bit more complex. At the start of CS1, quite a few nobles look down on him and grovel to his face while sniping at him when he's not around. The commoners have a better impression of him, many of them still believe he's kind of a watered down version of Rufus, who they consider the real golden boy, even though they think Jusis is more approachable. Their opinion of him steadily climbs as the games go on.