• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, what were you expecting?
I thought it was Kevin all along!
Yep, that's what I thought lol.
Actually, at first I thought it was Weissmann, but that didn't make sense because he never met Ries. Then I figured it must have been a version of Kevin he wished for when he entered Phantasma or something.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Just seems to be something everybody is saying.

So lemme explain how internet rumors work.

Yep, that's what I thought lol.
Actually, at first I thought it was Weissmann, but that didn't make sense because he never met Ries. Then I figured it must have been a version of Kevin he wished for when he entered Phantasma or something.

It kinda...is him, really. The others are at least magitek clones of the originals only in service of the cube, but she was completely a sadistic nemesis.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
I have a question regarding one of the Anguis for those that have finished Cold Steel 3.

I haven't played CS3, but from what I've read it seems like Arianrhod got a serious downgrade in terms of relative power when compared with other characters. Do my impressions have merit?

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a question regarding one of the Anguis for those that have finished Cold Steel 3.

I haven't played CS3, but from what I've read it seems like Arianrhod got a serious downgrade in terms of relative power when compared with other characters. Do my impressions have merit?
her power gets contested basically. If it is a case of her being overhyped in-game or other characters being stronger than assumed i cannot say.
Arianrhod acknowledges Aurelia's strength as someone that can become stronger than herself. She also acknowledges Laura's power being stronger than her own when she was Lianne but also saying she has reached her limit.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that tweet earlier. It's like a combination of 90's shoujo, CLAMP, and Slayers.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So we've learned Cassius is actually super ripped underneath those clothes.

And that original Dunan design is amazing, lol.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Dr._Wily.png

Jangaroo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm working my way through SC right now and the over world theme in SC is so much livelier than the one in FC. It actually makes me look forward to having to back track for the fetch quests and seeing the NPC dialogue changes.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working my way through SC right now and the over world theme in SC is so much livelier than the one in FC. It actually makes me look forward to having to back track for the fetch quests and seeing the NPC dialogue changes.

You are in luck, the fanbase and Falcom agrees with you. Let's just say you will be pleasantly surprised by Looking Up at the Sky being used in future Trails games.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished SC last night, stayed up till 4AM for the final battle. It's very long, but I really enjoy every moment of it. The music, wow, just wow.

As a new fan, I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to wait years for SC. But I imagine fans who waited for years probably get more enjoyment from it than I do.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
As a new fan, I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to wait years for SC. But I imagine fans who waited for years probably get more enjoyment from it than I do.
It's not so much a matter of how long you had to wait as much as how often you played FC. Someone who played FC to bits, like Cqef, will get considerably more mileage out of SC than someone who had to read up on the plot because they only played FC once way back. Meeting characters you (but not your protagonist) already know is fantastic. Example from an NPC from FC's Prologue in Sen III:

55-32.png

HDlzhO5.png

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much a matter of how long you had to wait as much as how often you played FC. Someone who played FC to bits, like Cqef, will get considerably more mileage out of SC than someone who had to read up on the plot because they only played FC once way back. Meeting characters you (but not your protagonist) already know is fantastic. Example from an NPC from FC's Prologue in Sen III:

55-32.png

HDlzhO5.png
FC has the perfect length for a quick replay too. Now with SC it would take longer, especially a completist run.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha Gu4n I can't believe that NPC is in CS3.
He's like right below Phantom Thief B in terms of annoying.

Someday they'll bring back old man Vogt. (Seriously, I love the scenes with Vogt)

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished a replay of Sky SC a few weeks ago and I noticed something curious that I haven't seen people discuss before.
Near the end of Chapter 6, when a Pale Apache attacks Estelle and Joshua, Campanella says the following lines (emphasis mine): "And so a new obstacle arises to block the reunited heroes! How will this affect their legend? Let's find out!"

He indirectly references the name of the series while speaking like a narrator or a show host.
This is probably significant in some way, as opposed to being a random wacky gag, because he looks directly at the camera and seems to speak to the player in a different scene.

Joshua also notes that Campanella hasn't aged a day since they last saw each other.
This could indicate fey heritage, as Erebonian Folklore specifically names short stature and fondness for pranks as the main distinguishing traits of fairies.

For now, the man is the series' biggest mystery to me.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Xseed will be streaming this Friday on their Twitch channel. The tweet came with an image of Akiba'Strip but they don't detail what games they'll be playing. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up but maybe tune in to the low-key event on the off-chance we get some sort of announcement.

What we want:
-Sen III localization news
-Zwei!! PC release date
-Cold Steel II PC release date
-Ys Celceta PC port

What we'll get:
-Super Service Penguin
-bunch of whiners in chat

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they usually tease having a surprise when they do an announcement so I wouldn't expect much.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Xseed will be streaming this Friday on their Twitch channel. The tweet came with an image of Akiba'Strip but they don't detail what games they'll be playing. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up but maybe tune in to the low-key event on the off-chance we get some sort of announcement.

What we want:
-Zwei!! PC release date
-Ys Celceta PC port

What we'll get:
-Super Service Penguin

Live Xseed pikkard drawing is what we get right.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

What we want:
-Zwei!! PC release date
-Ys Celceta PC port

What we'll get:
-Super Service Penguin

If XSEED wanted to, they could go the Atlus JP route of trolling and deeper wierdness.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Maybe they've finally implemented the arbitrary resolution and unlocked framerate for Akiba Strip, alleviating the need for the community patch?

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I finished a replay of Sky SC a few weeks ago and I noticed something curious that I haven't seen people discuss before.
Near the end of Chapter 6, when a Pale Apache attacks Estelle and Joshua, Campanella says the following lines (emphasis mine): "And so a new obstacle arises to block the reunited heroes! How will this affect their legend? Let's find out!"

He indirectly references the name of the series while speaking like a narrator or a show host.
This is probably significant in some way, as opposed to being a random wacky gag, because he looks directly at the camera and seems to speak to the player in a different scene.

Joshua also notes that Campanella hasn't aged a day since they last saw each other.
This could indicate fey heritage, as Erebonian Folklore specifically names short stature and fondness for pranks as the main distinguishing traits of fairies.

For now, the man is the series' biggest mystery to me.
Good find, and sorry to burst your bubble, but that reference was introduced through the liberties of localisation.
What he originally said was: "And so a new obstacle arises to block the reunited couple! How will this affect their fate?"

Regarding your other point,
I think Campanella has a far bigger role to play than a relic of Erebonia's ancient belief system. More likely contenders for the personification of fairy are Towa Herschel or Musse Egret.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Good find, and sorry to burst your bubble, but that reference was introduced through the liberties of localisation.
What he originally said was: "And so a new obstacle arises to block the reunited couple! How will this affect their fate?"
What the hell, XSeed? This is such a cheesy and forced reference. Pretty much on "We are really the Last of Us, Ellie"-level.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Interview with Falcom CEO and NIS CEO regarding Ys8 Switch
http://nippon1.jp/news/new_title_interview/

Some points:
They're long time friends dating back to when Falcom was still a PC game developer.
NIS CEO was the one that proposed to Falcom to bring Ys8 to Switch after seeing Disgaea 5 success.
NIS CEO went with the mindset that he wants Falcom to just focus on making new games, and NIS will handle the porting and localisation work.
Falcom CEO says that because Falcom's a small company with over 80% of employee being developers, they always took the stance that they'll develop games and let others handle porting and localization. When he was thinking on what to do with Ys8, NIS CEO went in agressively pushing to get Switch port, so he decided to let NIS handle it.
NIS CEO wants to expand beyond Ys8 and wants this to be long term partnership project.

So this came up in the Media Create thread. It really doesn't bode well for Xseed and them having Trails if NIS will be interested in it. Is it time to panic?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely more of a possibility now. XSEED don't have the license yet so who knows what Falcom is planning. Ys VIII already had a partner by this time last year.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely more of a possibility now. XSEED don't have the license yet so who knows what Falcom is planning. Ys VIII already had a partner by this time last year.

Do we have that knowledge? So nobody is working on it right now? WTF Falcom. I had hoped someome was working on it in secret. 2018 is a pipe dream now...

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So this came up in the Media Create thread. It really doesn't bode well for Xseed and them having Trails if NIS will be interested in it. Is it time to panic?

Definitely looking like NISA is going to be their partner going forward. I wouldn't mind as long as the quality of the new Ys translation is what we could expect and they can maintain consistency. Probably too much to hope for though.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think I'd just be walking away at that point.

I have no confidence that the localization would be as endearing as one might have come to expect from the series, and I especially have no confidence that the eventual PC port would be anything above awful.

I'd still buy Cold Steel 2 for PC, but mainly for pity's sake if it comes to this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have that knowledge? So nobody is working on it right now? WTF Falcom. I had hoped someome was working on it in secret. 2018 is a pipe dream now...

With the way Hatsuu has talked about it in various places, it doesn't seem like they have the rights yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think I'd just be walking away at that point.
I've maintained that I will walk away. If Falcom won't bother to maintain quality western releases, then why should I care about them either.

I'm definitely not buying Ys VIII until this is settled. The revised examples they've shown don't even give me confidence in the rewrite.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That interview does seem like concrete evidence that NIS is interested in making the localizations. However, why did they fuck up Ys8 in such a colossal way, if even their CEO cares about Falcom? It all seems so weird.
I would probably still buy Cold Steel 3, even a middling translation is better than walking away at this point. If they do ruin that game, well, yeah, then I would probably ignore future games.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
That interview does seem like concrete evidence that NIS is interested in making the localizations. However, why did they fuck up Ys8 in such a colossal way, if even their CEO cares about Falcom? It all seems so weird.
I would probably still buy Cold Steel 3, even a middling translation is better than walking away at this point. If they do ruin that game, well, yeah, then I would probably ignore future games.
Ys 8 was a mismanaged project, they didn't fuck it up on purpose.