• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
GEwfDmj.png
peculiar reaction

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Not to instill false hope, but what's this lads?

Nihon Falcom: 2019 is the Trails series' 15th anniversary. The Empire's story ended in Trails of Cold Steel IV, but as a series there is still more to come. For the 15th anniversary, there may be unexpected development(s).

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/12/trails-...years-2019-greeting-cards#XwrAQhZBzmSvgLuL.99
I'm hoping for a new book, some kind of definitive encyclopaedic entry similar to Crossbell Archive (sure would make updating the wiki easier) or a side story manga similar to Ring of Judgment or Loewe's Monogatari.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They did: https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/status/1075252348765786112

Kondo also talked about 2019 being "a year of various restarts" and thinking about giving Trails "a fresh start": https://gematsu.com/2018/12/game-creators-tease-2019-ambitions-in-weekly-famitsu#AO7kWViprjMkiglm.99

Not necessarily. Cold Steel's Japanese voice tracks became available to XSEED after the PS4 ports, as far as we can tell. The Evo versions won't come to other platforms without new rounds of negotiation between Falcom and Chara Ani, and the terms may experience a similar change over their course.
JP dub most definitely is a result of Falcom having to renegotiate contracts themselves for the re-release.

Oct 25, 2017
They at least can give me cautious optimism in the quality of the localization depending on who these people are they brought in, but two of the biggest things lost are still

1) A quality PC port
2) Voice acting holes being filled (because fucking lol at the thought of NISA investing that much)

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
They at least can give me cautious optimism in the quality of the localization depending on who these people are they brought in, but two of the biggest things lost are still

1) A quality PC port
2) Voice acting holes being filled (because fucking lol at the thought of NISA investing that much)
It's NISA a PC port will come eventually. I'm really surprised it's not there alongside the PS4 version at launch though

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Pedetemptim
You said Chavez was back to working on locs right? IMAGINE if NISA hired her... We'll find out tomorrow on the panel I guess

I don't think Jessica Chavez is on CS III. On Monday, she said that it was her first day working on her current project and added that she would be sharing what it was "when it's done", while NISA intends to flaunt the localization talent tomorrow.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
I don't think Jessica Chavez is on CS III. On Monday, she said that it was her first day working on her current project and added that she would be sharing what it was "when it's done", while NISA intends to flaunt the localization talent tomorrow.
Ah fair enough, wonder who the "aboard talent that already has experience with the series, to "help contextualize, translate and localize the title"" people are then. Guess we find out tomorrow!

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a PC port is likely to happen even if NISA doesn't want to do one at all. If the Ys Origin precedent (localized by XSEED for PC, then ported by DotEmu to PS4, Vita, and Xbox One, with XSEED's localization intact) is anything to go by, Falcom owns localizations of their games and is free to give them to other licensees.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for XSEED here. NISA fucked up royally and is being given another huge chance while XSEED did all the hard work of setting up the series in the west with great PC ports to boot and now are getting shafted.

I hope the eventual PC release is good, because I'm not buying this on console.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about this. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Ys VIII is an obvious red flag, but from the info we've been given and hearing Sean Chiplock makes me hope they're at least trying to get it right this time.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Pedetemptim

Just remembered, you called out VarionTL for being "currently fully booked" & changing his DP to Renne
You were pretty spot on :P

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pedetemptim

Just remembered, you called out VarionTL for being "currently fully booked" & changing his DP to Renne
You were pretty spot on :P
Thank you, but I wasn't the first one to spot the "currently fully booked" part of Varion's Twitter bio. If I remember correctly, he put it in there months before switching to the Renne avatar, and I think I saw brief conversations about it on Reddit.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Ouch. I thought I got a bit desensitized to Kiseki betrayals over the years, only for Falcom to say "Hold my beer" and pull one off in real life. After walking the 100 extra selges for years to cement the Trails series in the west and make them as good as they could, XSeed really deserved better than be dumped by Falcom for a boyfriend with more money.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if NISA is getting good people to localize it, that's already a good sign. As long as the actual translators use XSEEDs work on CS1 and 2 as a baseline for common terminology (which I assume is the case) then I feel that already alleviates most of the issues in handing localization to another studio mid-series.
There is the issue of quality and giving the game enough care in editing, and I assume that's where NISA is going to show that they have earned their terrible name.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Well, I can't really say I'm that surprised given all the developments of late. I'm glad that the game is coming, although it's disappointing that NISA picked it up; NISA hiring former Xseed employees (assuming the series veterans are not Gagharv trilogy staff, which would top-tier trolling) makes me more optimistic about how their translation turns out. I'd also be lying if I said I'm not buying Cold Steel 3 the day it comes out.

Isn't Jessica an editor? Because if she is, she wouldn't even be able to do much work on the game until it's translated, anyway.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So since it's now cold reality, I thought I go back and show the top 3 jokes I made about NISA getting their hands on CS3

1. what's a cold steel 3
    A miserable pile of NISA localization

2. I guess one argument for playing the unedited versions of Zero and Ao is that it prepares you quite well for the future Trails game that will be translated by NISA (CS3/4 possibly, and probably also the Calvard ark)

3. We could always hope that NISA localizes Zero and Ao (with promised PC ports), as a gesture of goodwill to Falcom, after Ys VIII.
    (at least considering this might well come true, going by rumours)

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey FalcomERA,

With the recently announcement of Cold Steel 3 and from what I heard and know, it seems like I should play the crossbell series before. So I took a look at the fan translation site and saw it hasn't been updated since Sept 4. Anyone know hows the progress and what happen? Or the site just hasn't been updated because reasons?

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Hey FalcomERA,

With the recently announcement of Cold Steel 3 and from what I heard and know, it seems like I should play the crossbell series before. So I took a look at the fan translation site and saw it hasn't been updated since Sept 4. Anyone know hows the progress and what happen? Or the site just hasn't been updated because reasons?
Geofront are just doing an edit of an existing version that's already been translated. If you want to play them now, there's a un-edited very raw and literal version up on a few places for Zero. Otherwise you're better off waiting a few months for Zero by Geofront. For Ao, there's an edited fans translation up, which is pretty good by all accounts - much better than Zero. Not sure we can talk piracy here but if you know where to look it's at the usual places

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Jessica an editor? Because if she is, she wouldn't even be able to do much work on the game until it's translated, anyway.
She is, but I thought that the localization cycles for the first two games roughly consisted of a year of translating and a year of editing (which is how XSEED did 2 games in 3 years). Jessica becoming involved now (if she is involved) would be indicative of a similar schedule.
post if you're okay, friends
For now, I'm feeling optimistic. NISA has said the right things about Crossbell and the importance of internal consistency so far. We know that Kondo yanked their chain after Ys VIII. I think big meltdowns are premature until we've seen the PAX panel and learned who's involved and in what capacity at the very least. The lack of a PC version (at least initial) is a bummer, though: with backwards compatibility on consoles in perpetual flux, PC versions are especially important for a continuity-heavy series like this, as they ensure that newcomers will always have access to older arcs without having to hunt down retro hardware.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Geofront are just doing an edit of an existing version that's already been translated. If you want to play them now, there's a un-edited very raw and literal version up on a few places for Zero. Otherwise you're better off waiting a few months for Zero by Geofront. For Ao, there's an edited fans translation up, which is pretty good by all accounts - much better than Zero. Not sure we can talk piracy here but if you know where to look it's at the usual places
Thanks for the info, I dont think talking about fan translation is consider piracy. Illegal sites to download the game for sure. I will prob wait for the fan translation of Zero from Geofront since I prob wont have time to play till summer anyways. Would this copy work? Or should I wait till more info from Geofront?

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I can't really say I'm that surprised given all the developments of late. I'm glad that the game is coming, although it's disappointing that NISA picked it up; NISA hiring former Xseed employees (assuming the series veterans are not Gagharv trilogy staff, which would top-tier trolling) makes me more optimistic about how their translation turns out. I'd also be lying if I said I'm not buying Cold Steel 3 the day it comes out.

They never said former xseed employees, just people familiar to help contextualise. Carpe Fulgur also falls under that umbrella. (this is a shitpost)
Nepotism wins again, I see.
I think you need to look at the bigger picture, NISA has been bidding on Falcom games for a while (since Celceta is confirmed, SEVEN also from what i've heard), they've published the releases in Europe and have a bigger cash flow. On other hand we know that XSEED has had first dibs on Falcom titles but they declined taking TX which probably was what turned their relation from their prime partner to just a potential partner for new releases.

I'm not optimistic right now but i'm not going to have too much discourse about it for now, we'll see how careful they will thread after the mess that is Ys8. I wouldn't even be surprised if they give Hatsuu a role as people probably will be barraging them about her being freelance and everything as someone who is perceived as the keystone of recent localisations.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
They never said former xseed employees, just people familiar to help contextualise. Carpe Fulgur also falls under that umbrella. (this is a shitpost)

I think you need to look at the bigger picture, NISA has been bidding on Falcom games for a while (since Celceta is confirmed, SEVEN also from what i've heard), they've published the releases in Europe and have a bigger cash flow. On other hand we know that XSEED has had first dibs on Falcom titles but they declined taking TX which probably was what turned their relation from their prime partner to just a potential partner for new releases.

The ironic thing is that when they were offered TX, they turned it down under the assumption that it was Vita only, guaranteeing a limited market in the west, since Falcom hadn't announced their PS4 version yet, meaning that they weren't gonna share that insignificant tidbit with their prime partner either.