• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The ironic thing is that when they were offered TX, they turned it down under the assumption that it was Vita only, guaranteeing a limited market in the west, since Falcom hadn't announced their PS4 version yet, meaning that they weren't gonna share that insignificant tidbit with their prime partner either.
that is very true, it became awkward for Aksys too when they announced the vita localisation and falcom announcing their port mere weeks later.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
that is very true, it became awkward for Aksys too when they announced the vita localisation and falcom announcing their port mere weeks later.
Maybe the PS4 port was a last minute decision by Kondo:
(while eating out in the evening with company employees)
Fuck it, we're porting this for PS4, and let's get some Westerns to port it on these spreadsheet machines too!

But, sir, I'm not sure we enough time and people to just ..

I said, we're doing it!

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe the PS4 port was a last minute decision by Kondo:
(while eating out in the evening with company employees)
Fuck it, we're porting this for PS4, and let's get some Westerns to port it on these spreadsheet machines too!

But, sir, I'm not sure we enough time and people to just ..

I said, we're doing it!
i know you're joking but the TX PS4 port was announced very conveniently to coincide with shareholders meetings to say they are in fact capable of handling PS4.

in other news;

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic

So, no Varion, no HProtagonista, and most certainly no Hatsuu either... now I'm really wondering, who did they supposedly get on board to help with this? Hopefully we'll find out soon enough...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

So, no Varion, no HProtagonista, and most certainly no Hatsuu either... now I'm really wondering, who did they supposedly get on board to help with this? Hopefully we'll find out soon enough...

I would laugh if it was another total lie like the "Ys experts" line before Ys 8 released

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

ezgif.com-optimize-13.gif

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks to be a much better situation than I expected actually. Hope everything works out.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm glad it seems to be confirmed that Hatsuu has indeed been working with NISA on CS3 behind-the-scenes, it kinda suggests it might be the primary motivator for her getting let go by XSEED doesn't it? Talk about sacrificing everything for your passion.

EDIT: seems like it could be a more recent thing?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
After all's said and done, this result's decent enough. I'm expecting a few big loc issues but largely a good effort that doesn't plunge much from XSEED's top output. I hope NISA gives all the proper resources to Brittany, Kris, Ryan, and the core team so they can make this transition as smooth as possible.

Also, I hope XSEED capitalizes on this by porting their localized Falcom games to Switch, pronto. They can't afford to cede ground in the English loc market this rapidly by letting NISA snap it all up.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm glad it seems to be confirmed that Hatsuu has indeed been working with NISA on CS3 behind-the-scenes, it kinda suggests it might be the primary motivator for her getting let go by XSEED doesn't it? Talk about sacrificing everything for your passion.
If you can't beat them, join them.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
After the likely suspects (Varion and Jessica Chavez) turned out to have no involvement with Cold Steel 3, my hopes were raised, and later fulfilled, that Brittany Avery was going to work on the translation. Now I'll hope that she's allowed to make major contributions to the script and was hired to do more than just reassure fans (it's crazy how much her mere presence alone has alleviated some concerns about this upcoming game). I will give props to NISA for this hiring, although they still need to desperately demonstrate that they can release a quality product.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She isn't even hired! She's doing a freelance job for NISA. People are crazy if they think she alone can right the ship. To me it looks like she and the rest of the team were brought in after NISA did the initial pass and asked to clean up the mess.

I hope they pull out a successful product, but there's 0 chance I would buy or pre-order this right now. And doubly so because they are ignoring PC.

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the extent of Ryan's involvement? His tweet mentions being involved in the translation, so my confidence in it hinges on how much he contributed.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
I have no intention of playing any other Kiseki game until I've caught up with the Crossbell arc, so I'm really looking forward to Trails from Zero and eventually Trails to Azure by the Geofront team, and I'm sure that by the time these two projects are complete, we'll have a clearer picture about CS3 and 4, how their localisation fares, and their situation on PC, and decide whether it is worth staying on the ship or not.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Since I am waiting for PC anyway, I'm in a position where I can wait and see how the localization shakes out.

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just happy it's coming out. Regardless of how ERA feels about NISA (especially with the YS VIII fiasco), I am of the mind that they will do their best this time. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. While it will be disappointing if the translation isn't as good as previous titles, I'm just really excited to play the game. Here's to hoping Hatsuu and the rest of the freelance team can polish it up to at least almost the same quality as before.

Again, in the end, I'm just happy it's coming out (for a while now, I was scared it wouldn't).

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Just started Trails in the Sky FC for the first time.

I knew I was getting myself into a slow-ass capital-J "JRPG" but even with that in mind I had to laugh when I played the game for like 2-3 hours before the words "PROLOGUE" even appeared. Like, what had I been playing up until the prologue kicked off?!?

Anyway on my way to Bose now, which I guess is chapter 1. Game kinda puts me to sleep but I'm on board for a slow, friendly, pastoral adventure for now. We'll see how long my patience holds out.

(I've done a lot of reading and understand the game sets the pieces on the board for the entire franchise and basically serves as a prologue for the whole series, etc etc)

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Trails in the Sky FC for the first time.

I knew I was getting myself into a slow-ass capital-J "JRPG" but even with that in mind I had to laugh when I played the game for like 2-3 hours before the words "PROLOGUE" even appeared. Like, what had I been playing up until the prologue kicked off?!?

Anyway on my way to Bose now, which I guess is chapter 1. Game kinda puts me to sleep but I'm on board for a slow, friendly, pastoral adventure for now. We'll see how long my patience holds out.

(I've done a lot of reading and understand the game sets the pieces on the board for the entire franchise and basically serves as a prologue for the whole series, etc etc)

The first game a bit like the first arcs of an anime. The stakes are low and everything is introduced bit by bit. but the payoff will be worth it. Just try to play it with pauses here and there inbetween to not burn out.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Yeah, the series starts off REALLY slow, but all of that is build-up and once it gets going, it gets GOING.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the slow start of Trails. The atmosphere and character interaction is very on-point for me from the start, so it was always pleasant to play. But yeah, it does get way more exciting eventually.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The "slow start" of FC and SC is far better than the "in media res" openings they started doing later in the series.

It might sound cool to start in the middle of the action but there's no reason at all for me to care about these characters I know nothing about.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "slow start" of FC and SC is far better than the "in media res" openings they started doing later in the series.

It might sound cool to start in the middle of the action but there's no reason at all for me to care about these characters I know nothing about.
CS3 is so weird. It just forces player to play the section two times. At least Zero has a twist.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I forgot CS1 throws you a late game dungeon at the start. It remind me of how fucking stupid was on FFXV and how little it does for the game. Like it basically has no purpose except baiting in you into some stupid cliffhanger that is not gonna happen in like 50 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I forgot CS1 throws you a late game dungeon at the start. It remind me of how fucking stupid was on FFXV and how little it does for the game. Like it basically has no purpose except baiting in you into some stupid cliffhanger that is not gonna happen in like 50 hours.

It's even worse in CS1 because the game is flat out lying to you about certain party members.

Hey Falcom, if you wanted to avoid spoilers, why not start your game at the beginning?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It's even worse in CS1 because the game is flat out lying to you about certain party members.

Hey Falcom, if you wanted to avoid spoilers, why not start your game at the beginning?

I imagine part of the reason CS1 started this way was because the Japanese audience was already aware of the fact that "shit goes down at Garrellia Fortress" through the Crossbell games as well as what that lead to, so putting the protagonists at that very spot and knowing that's where they'd end up eventually was a nice push for players to keep playing until that part at least.

Or, to put it in numbers, check this page out. (the top one is the percentage of players who completed FC's prologue, next ones cover Chapter 1, 2 and 3)

At the start of FC, Falcom may have been naive and believed everybody who started the game would at least have the attention span to keep playing until shit got real. Then reality set in. The fact that they started adding "hooks" at the very beginning of Zero, CS1 and CS3 means they wanted more than 42% of their players to make it past the prologue and 26% of their players to make it past the next chapter and they wanted the more attention span-challenged part of their audience to stick with them past the slow starts.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine part of the reason CS1 started this way was because the Japanese audience was already aware of the fact that "shit goes down at Garrellia Fortress" through the Crossbell games as well as what that lead to, so putting the protagonists at that very spot and knowing that's where they'd end up eventually was a nice push for players to keep playing until that part at least.

Or, to put it in numbers, check this page out. (the top one is the percentage of players who completed FC's prologue, next ones cover Chapter 1, 2 and 3)

At the start of FC, Falcom may have been naive and believed everybody who started the game would at least have the attention span to keep playing until shit got real. Then reality set in. The fact that they started adding "hooks" at the very beginning of Zero, CS1 and CS3 means they wanted more than 42% of their players to make it past the prologue and 26% of their players to make it past the next chapter and they wanted the more attention span-challenged part of their audience to stick with them past the slow starts.

But you could argue that these kind of people are not the target group for these games.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
But you could argue that these kind of people are not the target group for these games.

There's a gray zone between people who'll never be able to make it past the slower aspects of the Trails games and people who completed FC's prologue and first chapter while talking to every NPC at every location every time their dialogue changed. I've lost count of the number of Trails fans who talked about struggling to get into the series at first, gave up once or twice before even making it to the Ruan region and eventually reached the point where things just clicked, hooking them on the franchise for life. Falcom has every reason to try and pursue people like that.

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
There's a gray zone between people who'll never be able to make it past the slower aspects of the Trails games and people who completed FC's prologue and first chapter while talking to every NPC at every location every time their dialogue changed. I've lost count of the number of Trails fans who talked about struggling to get into the series at first, gave up once or twice before even making it to the Ruan region and eventually reached the point where things just clicked, hooking them on the franchise for life. Falcom has every reason to try and pursue people like that.
This. I had a hard time getting into the series with FC, but good luck arguing the series isn't for me. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I actually loved FCs prologue without being the kind of person to meticulously talk to every NPC. I really like downtime and mild tones in stories. Really builds up the more major moments for me.

Oct 27, 2017

The problem is the attempt to get new people into the series kind of undermines its unique selling point of being one big saga. Sure you can make soft reboots like CS1 when a new arc starts, but at one point you inevitably get into a problematic situation like with CS 3 and 4 by requiring knowledge of the Crossbell games, which will confuse even those who have bought every western release until now.

Other than downright going back and remaking everything up until Cold Steel I don't see how you could possibly solve that problem.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not entirely against giving players some kind of hook to help them drag along the slower parts of the game. Personally I loved FC slow start because it gives a more personal, character driven touch and gives characters breath to develop aside from the world building benefits. That said, there was moments that I wished something happened, because at certain point the game needed it.

So it's not strange or necessary bad those kinds of storytelling techniques, we see that even on the best shows ever, like in Breaking Bad they are used. But it always comes to execution and I feel CS1 is not particularly good or ultimately not very interesting.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

yeah the slow pacing of this series just takes some getting used to before it grows on you

when I played FC I recall complaining that "i've played this for like 5 hours and the most eventful thing that's happened is some guy got on an airship"

honestly even as a whole I didn't like FC all that much but at some point around SC it just clicked and now I don't mind when things are slow

KlausRealta

Oct 28, 2017
I think that's likely where they'd first have a demo, but I don't think we'll get a lot of press attention on it until AX since NISA doesn't have a large presence at E3.