• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 5, 2018
recent game from a recent well performing series gets next instalment localised, what an achievement

At this point, the newer games have decent sales here to never really underperform. I expect CSIV next year, and the next one after that. But Crossbell is another massive undertaking with more risky sales because its probably the same size as CS3/4 with less payoff

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At this point, the newer games have decent sales here to never really underperform. I expect CSIV next year, and the next one after that. But Crossbell is another massive undertaking with more risky sales because its probably the same size as CS3/4 with less payoff
I know, in it's current state crossbell was too risky even for xseed, the same xseed that decided to localise zwei in 2018, a janky 2001 game

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I know, in it's current state crossbell was too risky even for xseed, the same xseed that decided to localise zwei in 2018, a janky 2001 game

Zwei was likely nowhere near the undertaking that a Trails game is. Aaaaaaand I have a feeling it was Tom who was pushing those games and you'll notice Tom is no longer at XSEED, probably because all the games he was championing (Zwei, Exile's End, PopoloCrois, Brandish) underperformed.

Cqef

Oct 27, 2017
somewhere in France
Zwei was likely nowhere near the undertaking that a Trails game is. Aaaaaaand I have a feeling it was Tom who was pushing those games and you'll notice Tom is no longer at XSEED, probably because all the games he was championing (Zwei, Exile's End, PopoloCrois, Brandish) underperformed.

Those maybe weren't good bets for XSeed, but Tom also brought in Corpse Party which turned out to be doing quite well though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it doesn't matter that Tom was pushing for them, he was not an executive.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't matter that Tom was pushing for them, he was not an executive.
They made it sound like games people liked or wanted to do was part of the process for deciding what to try to localize. People like Brittany and maybe Sara actively wanting to do 3rd might be a reason XSEED greenlit that so quickly. And Tom definitely made it sound like some of the games he pushed for and worked on only happened because he brought them up.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
That's like the definition of an empty statement, Falcom didn't have to "try harder" to release a Trails or Ys game in the west. They just had to not suddenly refuse to license their games out. Multiple parties are interested in localizing their games.

A better example would probably be when they teased the PS4 ports of CS1 and 2, IIRC they mentioned considering it, and it wasn't long after that they made an announcement.

I think your better example is closer to what I was actually thinking of (but was too lazy to look up), which was this RPGFan article:

Not that far into it, the Falcom reports says, "We plan to expand the Trails of Cold Steel series in not only Japan but also North America, Europe, and Asia." Since this article, we've seen confirmation and then Western releases of the Cold Steel 1 and 2 PS4 ports, followed by confirmation of Cold Steel 3.

I'm not discounting that it may happen eventually but Kondo says a lot of things and not all of it happens to be true. But well, he did casually reveal Ys 9 was a thing in an interview with an obscure French blog way before its official announcement so who knows.

I'm not sure if what he says is untrue, per say, but a lot of it certainly has no weight. I found it easy enough to find an example of what you're talking about (like this news article from https://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-legend-heroes-titles-west/), where Kondo says in response to bringing over the Crossbell games, "That's something that I really really want to do, and it's something that I'll have to work with our partners or find a partner to make it happen." Obviously, this statement is empty since there are many things people want to do, but that's a far cry from having any plans to act. At the same time, the vague plans hinted at in such statements could eventually become realized, and there's a decent chance that could happen if Falcom actually brings the Crossbell games to PS4 (but that's a big if).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Trails in the Sky the Third! Despite some initial bad feelings that I posted about in this thread, in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On to Trails of Cold Steel, then!

As I understand it, there were two other games that released before Cold Steel but were never translated into English, right? Does anyone know of any good plot summaries out there I could read or watch? I don't mind if it's a lot!

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if what he says is untrue, per say, but a lot of it certainly has no weight. I found it easy enough to find an example of what you're talking about (like this news article from https://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-legend-heroes-titles-west/), where Kondo says in response to bringing over the Crossbell games, "That's something that I really really want to do, and it's something that I'll have to work with our partners or find a partner to make it happen." Obviously, this statement is empty since there are many things people want to do, but that's a far cry from having any plans to act. At the same time, the vague plans hinted at in such statements could eventually become realized, and there's a decent chance that could happen if Falcom actually brings the Crossbell games to PS4 (but that's a big if).
Yeah, I should have worded my thoughts better.
I'm not saying he's lying or anything of the sort, but he often talks about how he would like to make this or that even though Falcom has no concrete plans on the matter.
I'm sure it's made way worse that it really is by shoddy translations of his statements and by how desperate parts of this fanbase are for any sort of info.
I just finished Trails in the Sky the Third! Despite some initial bad feelings that I posted about in this thread, in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As I understand it, there were two other games that released before Cold Steel but were never translated into English, right? Does anyone know of any good plot summaries out there I could read or watch? I don't mind if it's a lot!
Yeah, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki got released between the Sky and Cold Steel games. They haven't been officially localized but there are fantranslations of dubious quality available. They're quite subpar but they're still perfectly playable and understandable so it's up to you wether you want to risk it or not.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's a story summary for Zero on Youtube if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, it's not finished yet.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

First, I'd recommend playing the Crossbell games with their subpar fan translations over watching or reading summaries. Second, you're a ways away from actually needing those summaries, since Cold Steel 1 and 2 do not (with the exception of one section near the end of Cold Steel 2) expect you to have played the Crossbell games. The characters and events from the Crossbell games do not become really important to Cold Steel until 3, so wait until at least the Divertissement chapter of Cold Steel 2 before looking at summaries, if you really want to catch up Crossbell without playing the games. Looking at Crossbell summaries can spoil parts of the first two Cold Steel games, not just the two games that weren't released here, so you will do yourself a disservice if you rush into these summaries.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should have worded my thoughts better.
I'm not saying he's lying or anything of the sort, but he often talks about how he would like to make this or that even though Falcom has no concrete plans on the matter.
I'm sure it's made way worse that it really is by shoddy translations of his statements and by how desperate parts of this fanbase are for any sort of info.

Yeah, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki got released between the Sky and Cold Steel games. They haven't been officially localized but there are fantranslations of dubious quality available. They're quite subpar but they're still perfectly playable and understandable so it's up to you wether you want to risk it or not.
There's a story summary for Zero on Youtube if you want to check it out. Unfortunately, it's not finished yet.

First, I'd recommend playing the Crossbell games with their subpar fan translations over watching or reading summaries. Second, you're a ways away from actually needing those summaries, since Cold Steel 1 and 2 do not (with the exception of one section near the end of Cold Steel 2) expect you to have played the Crossbell games. The characters and events from the Crossbell games do not become really important to Cold Steel until 3, so wait until at least the Divertissement chapter of Cold Steel 2 before looking at summaries, if you really want to catch up Crossbell without playing the games. Looking at Crossbell summaries can spoil parts of the first two Cold Steel games, not just the two games that weren't released here, so you will do yourself a disservice if you rush into these summaries.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll think a bit more about what I want to do.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping we would get Geofront's Zero translation this summer, that was mentioned as a goal around the 80% update. But it doesn't seem very likely at this point. At their 2018 pace we would be on the verge of a 90% update, but by outward appearances it seems like things are going slower than that. Zerker basically never talks about the project anymore, took the editing note out of his Twitter name, and is working two jobs now.

Hopefully the mentioned possibility of ports and localization doesn't slow things down further, since there's no guarantee any of that will happen.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping we would get Geofront's Zero translation this summer, that was mentioned as a goal around the 80% update. But it doesn't seem very likely at this point. At their 2018 pace we would be on the verge of a 90% update, but by outward appearances it seems like things are going slower than that. Zerker basically never talks about the project anymore, took the editing note out of his Twitter name, and is working two jobs now.

Hopefully the mentioned possibility of ports and localization doesn't slow things down further, since there's no guarantee any of that will happen.
Well, zerker joined the project early on, and helped it a ton, but he's not the only one working on it. We can hope the remaining (two or three?) people keep working on it steadily enough. Of course, I think the plan was to give the entire script a third pass, but given their lack of people and pace of progress, that might be super unrealistic.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that the Falcom AMA with Kondo-san starts in around one hour on /r/games.

I also have some spicy questions for him regarding pc releases and port quality.

Not expecting them to be answered but who knows.

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If they actually don't answer more questions it would be the second least number of questions I've seen answered on a scheduled AMA.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They said on the stream that once it's over, they'll go back to the AMA and answer more stuff.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of you folks hang-wringing "bond events" finally got a proper answer as for why they were implemented in the first place.

Question said:
Will the Trails series ever go back to predetermined romances for the leads, or are the "choose your romance" bonding options here to stay?

Answer said:
The reason Cold Steel ended up in this fashion is because we wanted portray Rean's student life and the fact that he had options, so it ended up this way. Different from Trails in the Sky we wanted to the player to have some choice in the matter.

As for the new games, we are still planning them at the moment, so who know's how that will turn out! What I will say that is that we will use the system that best suits the game.

Choice was always the point.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
So for falcom no switch support given low ys8 sales in Japan.
Really disappointing given i played the most on portable platforms (vita).
Probably cs4 Is my last trails given my future gaming time will be only portable.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably cs4 Is my last trails given my future gaming time will be only portable.
I mean, hoping for switch support that didn't come from outside partners from Falcom was always a pipe dream tbh

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Falcom would gladly support Switch, if they had the manpower for it. Due to their current schedule of one game a year and small team it just isn't feasible to focus on more than one platform, and due to how much Sony helps them with development and localisation it is a normal pick for them to work with their systems.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
All of you folks hang-wringing "bond events" finally got a proper answer as for why they were implemented in the first place.

Choice was always the point.
Funny how their idea of giving Rean "options" is just selecting people to spend time with (which really is just ultimately an annoyance to most people since they'd rather view all the choices in one playthrough instead of being forced to do it all in a second one). Surely they could've been more creative with what a typical student life entails.

But in context of Rean's story arc, it makes some sense; I'll give them that. The harem aspect was and is still hot garbage, though. That being said, I decided to shift my focus from expecting anything decent out of the protagonists in regards to romance and will root for side pairings going forward.

Last edited:

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Interesting. Which things were the staff not satisfied of on crossbell?
I really would like to know

Anyway reading the interview next title is not this year and next arc far away imho

Last edited:

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Its actually amazing that NISA can't even get a freaking AMA right.

Hey cool, blame me for that then. Due to the limited time we have with Kondo-san this week, I had to sort of pack the schedule and didn't account for LA traffic being twice as garbage as usual. We've added quite a bit since then, everyone being gracious enough to go back through and answer quite a few more in the meantime.

There's a lot of really in-depth responses in there, too, and obviously translation takes a substantial amount of more time than directly replying to an AMA w/o it. Technically, Kondo-san and staff spent at least twice as much time answering fan questions than any single interview this week.

Final total is 26 responses.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I just hit Act 2 of Cold Steel 2, and with the knowledge in mind that Falcom often save their best writing for the final acts of their games, I am not feeling this one at all. It's an endless parade of Rean speeches about how they have no idea what they're doing, but they'll figure it out together. For a story on this scale and with the theoretical stakes the ending of Cold Steel 1 presented, the lack of any cohesive narrative arc or tension in the plot is incredibly disappointing.

Plus, the way almost all the female characters throw themselves at him upon seeing Rean again is tedious as hell.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Hey cool, blame me for that then. Due to the limited time we have with Kondo-san this week, I had to sort of pack the schedule and didn't account for LA traffic being twice as garbage as usual. We've added quite a bit since then, everyone being gracious enough to go back through and answer quite a few more in the meantime.

There's a lot of really in-depth responses in there, too, and obviously translation takes a substantial amount of more time than directly replying to an AMA w/o it. Technically, Kondo-san and staff spent at least twice as much time answering fan questions than any single interview this week.

Shit happens so don't worry. I might be usually a bit angrier with NISA due to some of your companies quality issues that happend over the years and not having a PC version of Cold Steel III after i brought in some in friends who are now in total love with kiseki but have basically no chance to play them without having a PC version due to the countries they live in.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually was not expecting that many detailed responses in the AMA. Three arcs remaining answer is probably the biggest reveal. I'm only sad that Kondo didn't answer which of the CS3 songs is his favorite.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Great job actually, considering the time constraints and that you had to translate everything back and forth. It seems like it was a bit of work to physically meet with Kondo, so did you consider using a Skype chat or something like that ?

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Sometimes shit is outta your control. Nobody should blame you.

You peeps got more out of Kondo than his 15th anniversary stream.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, after much procrastinating on my part, and a lot of looking around the internet, I have finally secured ways of playing Trails 1 through Zero no Kiseki on my Vita. I am missing Ao no Kiseki but I figure I will cross that bridge when I get there. I also have Cold Steel 1 and 2 on my Vita so those are also locked and loaded.

I figure it's finally time for me to start this series in earnest after I beat Judgment (3 chapter left). I hope getting these up and running was worth it!

Anything I need to know before stepping into the first games? Is it bad if I play the first two series on easy? I plan on stepping it up when I get to Cold Steel but I just want to enjoy the story for the earlier games since they are so old.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Shit happens so don't worry. I might be usually a bit angrier with NISA due to some of your companies quality issues that happend over the years and not having a PC version of Cold Steel III after i brought in some in friends who are now in total love with kiseki but have basically no chance to play them without having a PC version due to the countries they live in.

Yeah, I get it. I just hate seeing NISA get flack about my dumb errors. Sorry for getting salty.

We hear yah about the other platforms.

Great job actually, considering the time constraints and that you had to translate everything back and forth. It seems like it was a bit of work to physically meet with Kondo, so did you consider using a Skype chat or something like that ?

We were lucky enough to have him for the week, he is neck deep in Ys IX development and unfortunately is even less available when he gets back so unfortunately between interviews and travel that was determined to be the only block of available time for the week (though that turned out tricky anyway). Eyes bigger than our stomachs and all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, after much procrastinating on my part, and a lot of looking around the internet, I have finally secured ways of playing Trails 1 through Zero no Kiseki on my Vita. I am missing Ao no Kiseki but I figure I will cross that bridge when I get there. I also have Cold Steel 1 and 2 on my Vita so those are also locked and loaded.

I figure it's finally time for me to start this series in earnest after I beat Judgment (3 chapter left). I hope getting these up and running was worth it!

Anything I need to know before stepping into the first games? Is it bad if I play the first two series on easy? I plan on stepping it up when I get to Cold Steel but I just want to enjoy the story for the earlier games since they are so old.

The Sky games are balanced around Normal difficulty (I don't think there even is an 'easy' difficulty, although I might be wrong on that). You should be fine with that. In contrast, the Cold Steel games require the higher difficulties to get a real challenge out of them.

Main thing to keep in mind when you play is that all of the NPCs update their dialogue after every story event, and it's highly recommended to talk to them constantly because their individual stories are really strong. Try to seek out the newspapers and books for some great worldbuilding and foreshadowing as well. Also, never google anything from the series or try to look it up on the wiki. Even something that seems like it could be incredibly safe to look up can wind up having some major spoilers involved. Just ask in here if you need any clarification on things.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The Sky games are balanced around Normal difficulty (I don't think there even is an 'easy' difficulty, although I might be wrong on that). You should be fine with that. In contrast, the Cold Steel games require the higher difficulties to get a real challenge out of them.

Main thing to keep in mind when you play is that all of the NPCs update their dialogue after every story event, and it's highly recommended to talk to them constantly because their individual stories are really strong. Try to seek out the newspapers and books for some great worldbuilding and foreshadowing as well. Also, never google anything from the series or try to look it up on the wiki. Even something that seems like it could be incredibly safe to look up can wind up having some major spoilers involved. Just ask in here if you need any clarification on things.
I've heard about this! It's one of the reasons I decided to jump into the series. I didn't know it would be basically after every scenario event (I assume within the time you spend in that town cause otherwise it would be crazy). Thanks for the spoiler tip too! I am sure I would have walked into one otherwise lol. I plan on starting this weekend :)

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
We were lucky enough to have him for the week, he is neck deep in Ys IX development and unfortunately is even less available when he gets back so unfortunately between interviews and travel that was determined to be the only block of available time for the week (though that turned out tricky anyway). Eyes bigger than our stomachs and all that.

I'm shocked he even made the trip with Ys IX literally right around the corner.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard about this! It's one of the reasons I decided to jump into the series. I didn't know it would be basically after every scenario event (I assume within the time you spend in that town cause otherwise it would be crazy). Thanks for the spoiler tip too! I am sure I would have walked into one otherwise lol. I plan on starting this weekend :)

I find the side stories more interesting on second playthroughs.

And many of the stories aren't all that amazing, but it's how they continue on and evolve based on the world around them as the games progress I find more fascinating.