• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God there's so much I want to talk about Re: Kondo's answers, but it's a bit overwhelming. Let's start with a few:

1) According to Kondo, the various countries in the Trails series were inspired/based around

Liberl: Thailand (due to never being occupied, though the actual nuts & bolts of the country is European inspired)
Crossbell: Hong Kong (world's leading international financial center)
Erebonia: Germany (duh)

2) Kondo is extremely frank with his answers. He'll outright admit to saying the following (Re: Outsourcing)

Reactions are mixed, particularly when it comes to the opening animations. Some people like them and some prefer when we made them in house.

We will consider outsourcing things on a case by case basis and what will best serve the project.

In the AMA, he admitted that the reason CS3 lacked the usual opening style was due to the fact that those openings were made in-house, and they simply didn't have the time to make them.

3) On which protagonist is his favorite to right for

All of the characters that we create are like my children, but as she was the first character made, I have a special place in my heart for Estelle.

4) Regarding his favorite art/craft in the franchise

I'm Japanese so I really like the Eight Leaves One Blade overall. I think it is a great blending of both fantasy and realism, so I like the S-Crafts that come from that. Honestly, I wish I could do them myself...

There's also other stuff, like a Cold Steel anime adaptation being highly requested

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard about this! It's one of the reasons I decided to jump into the series. I didn't know it would be basically after every scenario event (I assume within the time you spend in that town cause otherwise it would be crazy). Thanks for the spoiler tip too! I am sure I would have walked into one otherwise lol. I plan on starting this weekend :)

Yeah, it's pretty much every story event, although sometimes there are really minor events that don't trigger it. You're generally restricted to one region (a main city, maybe a smaller village, and some bases and other spots), so it's not like you're going around the whole world.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a few years (January 2017) since I have played a Trails game, but I picked up The 3rd and Cold Steel 1 in the Steam sale. I had to do a brief Wiki dive to refresh myself before starting

I played through the prologue of The 3rd, and I think I am going to like it as a big fan of Kevin in the previous games. I don't remember the Turbo toggle in the previous games, not sure if that is new, but I appreciate it for fights and some of the panning cutscenes. One thing I already remember as an issue is the 45+ minutes of cutscenes without saving opportunities (like the ending of the Prologue).

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
It has been a few years (January 2017) since I have played a Trails game, but I picked up The 3rd and Cold Steel 1 in the Steam sale. I had to do a brief Wiki dive to refresh myself before starting

I played through the prologue of The 3rd, and I think I am going to like it as a big fan of Kevin in the previous games. I don't remember the Turbo toggle in the previous games, not sure if that is new, but I appreciate it for fights and some of the panning cutscenes. One thing I already remember as an issue is the 45+ minutes of cutscenes without saving opportunities (like the ending of the Prologue).

Enjoy.

The 3rd is on another level of quality. It goes places MAN.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy.

The 3rd is on another level of quality. It goes places MAN.
I will!

I just started up the game again to do a quick bit while I was waiting for my phone to charge and I accidentally started my first Moon Door with Tita and that cutscene lasted 37 minutes! I enjoyed it, but damn do they need to let you save during cutscenes, I have places to be!

One note, I think these games do such a good job working around budget and asset constraints. Most other games I feel like revisiting locations feels annoying and cheap but in Trails they make the world feel lived in as you get to meet up with old characters and spend some time with them. I really can't think of another game series that does this quite as well with the repetition... maybe Phoenix Wright in a weird way?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I will!

I just started up the game again to do a quick bit while I was waiting for my phone to charge and I accidentally started my first Moon Door with Tita and that cutscene lasted 37 minutes! I enjoyed it, but damn do they need to let you save during cutscenes, I have places to be!

Yeah, that's a very common issue people have with that part of the game. It's fortunately a rather unique case. All the other Memory Doors have to be opened manually and most of the Doors either give you moments of control where you can save your game or are simply not as long.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I will!

One note, I think these games do such a good job working around budget and asset constraints. Most other games I feel like revisiting locations feels annoying and cheap but in Trails they make the world feel lived in as you get to meet up with old characters and spend some time with them. I really can't think of another game series that does this quite as well with the repetition... maybe Phoenix Wright in a weird way?

That door really is the exception to the rule. It's bad because it's the first one you encounter.

It also has a continuation. But I think you're more prepared for it then haha

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I still consider TITS 3 to be the worst in the series. Now worst in an amazing series is still a pretty great game, but that structure is something I'd like to never see again.

Co-sign.

I was going to whine that I would switch Rean and Lloyd as I find Lloyd more likable, but yeah, as much as I like Lloyd he's essentially a (great) Shonen hero. So there's no incredible depth there besides your regular shonen character arcs, even though they're really well executed IMO.

Yeah, similar sentiments. In the end I feel Lloyd may have even less to provide as a character than Rean, which depresses me saying it as I find Rean an awful character. However, Crossbell gives Lloyd a short end of the stick many times in opportunities of growth through defiance. In contrast to Rean's "majestic" power and recognition Lloyd is almost on the complete other side of the spectrum where at times it feels like he matters little. This could work as a strength if it wasn't brushed with such a generic archetype. There was potential there for sure (and I still technically like him more), but Rean has been more fleshed at this point relatively.

Funny how their idea of giving Rean "options" is just selecting people to spend time with (which really is just ultimately an annoyance to most people since they'd rather view all the choices in one playthrough instead of being forced to do it all in a second one). Surely they could've been more creative with what a typical student life entails.

But in context of Rean's story arc, it makes some sense; I'll give them that. The harem aspect was and is still hot garbage, though. That being said, I decided to shift my focus from expecting anything decent out of the protagonists in regards to romance and will root for side pairings going forward.

It's funny, I find it amusing that the idea of giving Lloyd/Rean options is having Poster Girl #1
Elie
/Poster Girl #2 Alisa respectively take several canonical scenes where the party/NPC's exude "OOOOOOH, look at these lovebirds!" and selectively more inclined bond segments despite the fact that the player is supposed to be able to choose who they want to bond with most romantically. I see the idea of pairing the main character one of the most entertaining aspects of the Erebonia arc (and it added to Crossbell too, but it wasn't necessary to the same extent). But what bothers me is how they botch the execution with each game by having a continual bias towards one girl in the party despite the availability of others the player may be more interested in. It's a disgusting disconnect that, in the moments, makes me wish I was playing a modern Persona instead every time.

So I only hope they actually improve this going forward...I've been saying this for several games now.

Last edited:

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Co-sign.

Yeah, similar sentiments. In the end I feel Lloyd may have even less to provide as a character than Rean, which depresses me saying it as I find Rean an awful character. However, Crossbell gives Lloyd a short end of the stick many times in opportunities of growth through defiance. In contrast to Rean's "majestic" power and recognition Lloyd is almost on the complete other side of the spectrum where at times it feels like he matters little. This could work as a strength if it wasn't brushed with such a generic archetype. There was potential there for sure (and I still technically like him more), but Rean has been more fleshed at this point relatively.

It's funny, I find it amusing that the idea of giving Lloyd/Rean options is having Poster Girl #1
Elie
/Poster Girl #2 Alisa respectively take several canonical scenes where the party/NPC's exude "OOOOOOH, look at these lovebirds!" and selectively more inclined bond segments despite the fact that the player is supposed to be able to choose who they want to bond with most romantically. I see the idea of pairing the main character one of the most entertaining aspects of the Erebonia arc (and it added to Crossbell too, but it wasn't necessary to the same extent). But what bothers me is how they botch the execution with each game by having a continual bias towards one girl in the party despite the availability of others the player may be more interested in. It's a disgusting disconnect that, in the moments, makes me wish I was playing a modern Persona instead every time.

So I only hope they actually improve this going forward...I've been saying this for several games now.
I'd rather they not do romance at all if they're going to continue with the "choose your favorite girl" garbage. You might as well call this Trails of Persona (or insert any dating sim name) at that point. The only silver lining in all of this is that there are at least some side pairings that exist outside of the harem vortex, even if they barely get any focus (well, except for one but that's spoiler territory). Down with the harems, I say! Down with them!

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound cheesy but love is part of life. Pretending like it doesn't exist kinda hurts the "living life" narrative these games have. It's just weird going through these games with huge casts and the most romantic attraction we get between characters is either choose the girl harem stuff or one-time NPCs in a town somewhere.

Where is my romance drama and broken hearts Falcom? It's no secret that the most memorable scenes are the ones that have a ton of romantic tension behind em. Seriously.
The best sidequest in CS2 is the one where Anton gets summarily shot down. It's funny. It's great. It's sad.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound cheesy but love is part of life. Pretending like it doesn't exist kinda hurts the "living life" narrative these games have. It's just weird going through these games with huge casts and the most romantic attraction we get between characters is either choose the girl harem stuff or one-time NPCs in a town somewhere.

Where is my romance drama and broken hearts Falcom? It's no secret that the most memorable scenes are the ones that have a ton of romantic tension behind em. Seriously.
The best sidequest in CS2 is the one where Anton gets summarily shot down. It's funny. It's great. It's sad.
I mean, how many games are there that are actually able to successfully intertwine romance drama with the main plot? I can't think of very many (not including Sky, of course), to be honest. It's an interesting avenue I wish more JRPG developers would risk taking, but it's kind of hard given their limited resources. Just have to stick with visual novels, manga, and anime for that.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But what bothers me is how they botch the execution with each game by having a continual bias towards one girl in the party despite the availability of others the player may be more interested in.
To be honest, I'm the straight opposite. I'd rather they just did away with the love choices and just wrote characters and their relationships.
I find the whole harem approach poisonous to storytelling, not only because of the disconnect you mentioned, but also because it makes the main character the center of everything, meaning it locks other characters out of developing relationships between themselves. Or at least, they can't ever become very meaningful.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to know more about your companions and grow closer to them, but this should be organic. I'm more and more turned off by the idea of tying it to a gameplay mechanic and a reward system. It's honestly my biggest problem with the last two story arcs.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
To be honest, I'm the straight opposite. I'd rather they just did away with the love choices and just wrote characters and their relationships.
I find the whole harem approach poisonous to storytelling, not only because of the disconnect you mentioned, but also because it makes the main character the center of everything, meaning it locks other characters out of developing relationships between themselves. Or at least, they can't ever become very meaningful.

I don't think it's necessarily bad for games to allow the player to choose how the romance turns out (I think it works fine in the Mass Effect games and The Witcher 3), but these options clash with the serialized narrative that Falcom is going for with the Trails series. It wasn't so bad in Zero/Azure because
no one really hooks up in Zero, so it at least makes sense that Lloyd can bond with multiple women in Azure; the writers clearly favour Elie, and I think they would've been better off just making that a canon pairing, as it would've helped Elie's character progression in Azure, in my opinion, but, at least, Lloyd hasn't hooked up with someone in the first game, only for the second game to seemingly forget the connection occurred.
In Cold Steel, Rean can become romantically involved with someone in every game, only for the sequel to barely acknowledge the relationship ever happened, and I imagine the next arc will either have Rean single or canonically involved with Alisa. So, what's even the point of giving these options if the narrative in subsequent games constantly disregards the player's choices, breaking the immersion? I know there are ways that games can incorporate romance options into serialized stories, by carrying over save data across games, and Falcom shouldn't bother with this harem stuff unless they respect the player's choices in their sequels. Otherwise, they're better off ditching the harems and giving the lead character a canonical love interest; I don't think I've seen a single person say that they like the harem options as much as Estelle and Joshua's relationship, anyway.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are missing the point with the optional romances thing. You can make a character feel involved in the main narrative and have weight while still making them optional romance options.

Trails from Zero did it. Persona did it. Mass Effect did it. Even Cold Steel does it to a certain extent.

But characters like Alisa don't suffer because she's a "part of Rean's harem", she suffers because the story structure changes radically starting from the next game and it completely abandons her.

The grounded, low-key field studies and moment-to-moment character building suits a character like Alisa well; anime ass mechas and over the top
civil wars
do not, hence why she's effectively a nothing character in the grand scheme of things.

Falcom shouldn't bother with this harem stuff unless they respect the player's choices in their sequels. Otherwise, they're better off ditching the harems and giving the lead character a canonical love interest; I don't think I've seen a single person say that they like the harem options as much as Estelle and Joshua's relationship, anyway.

Doesn't Cold Steel 2 specifically go out of its way to address Cold Steel 1's romantic choice in a way that surpasses games like Mass Effect?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Imo, that no one that's involved in Rean's harem canonically gets with anyone is only a surface level problem with the bonding event system. Romance is fun, but it's not *that* important to tell an interesting story? Persona actually gets away with this sort of thing a lot better imo despite handling the actual romance bit worse in a lot of cases, and that's because the rest of the cast still interact with each other a fair bit, even outside of their gender.
P5 has Ryuji and Ann. Futaba and Yusuke. And then to a lesser extent Ann and Makoto, and Makoto and Akechi. None of these are particularly romantic, but it's fun and interesting to see them interact anyway. (And then people ship it regardless lol)
CS has Jusis and Machias. Fie and Laura. Jusis and Millium. And in the main story, not much else. There's *some* fun stuff if you bother to talk to them when they don't have bonding events, like Emma tutoring Fie, and of course all of their relationships with the NPCs, but it still feels kind of...restricted.
I don't want CS to learn too much from P5, because god does P5 have its own issues. But I wanna see Gaius paint something based on music Elliot plays. I wanna see Fie and Laura together outside of their dedicated arc, training together or something. I wanna see the cast bond over the parental issues that most of them seemingly have. It's not that I don't believe that they're friends, it's that I think it would just be really beneficial to focus on that stuff more.
I've heard that CS3 has a good cast? So hopefully it does that.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the issue with bonding events is that it is so divisive people would rather debate over that than over the core of Kiseki's universe; what sept terrion is in erebonia and what happened to it

soulslayer

Oct 26, 2017
Played and finished Zero No Kiseki with the Non Geofront fan translation 2 days ago. And while it's not the best quality, the game was still perfectly playable and understandable. While the translation isn't the best, I was still able to enjoy the characters, NPC, and story for the most part.

As for what i thought about the game? My Goodness was this game FANTASTIC. It's easily better than Cold Steel 1 and 2. The story is so tight and fun (basically you play detective and solve cases each chapter) and the SSS might be my favorite cast in any of the Trails games. Now I know why so many Kiseki fans have such great things to say about the Crossbell games. They're that good.

I hope the Crossbell games get an official translation in the future. Trails fans deserve to play this game. Already started Ao and been really enjoying it too. Can't wait to see more of the story (just started Chapter 1 now).

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Zero is more a detective side story, ao is a grand story its scope becomes bigger with each chapter. I still prefer zero cast and chemistry

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Zero is more a detective side story, ao is a grand story its scope becomes bigger with each chapter. I still prefer zero cast and chemistry
To me, the interesting thing about Zero no Kiseki is how much stuff from 3rd carries over. The game feels like the start of the new arc, while also managing to feel like a continuation of 3rd in some respects. Ao feels very much like the SC of the Crossbell arc, as it just escalates and builds with the society coming into the picture

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Today I reached
The Infernal Castle
. CS II has some slow sections (nothing bothered me that much tbh, after reading lots of complaints about the game pacing I expected something far worse), but when it goes all out it's really good. I expect to finish the game next weekm and then wait for Zero.

Discharger

Oct 25, 2017
Today I reached
The Infernal Castle
. CS II has some slow sections (nothing bothered me that much tbh, after reading lots of complaints about the game pacing I expected something far worse), but when it goes all out it's really good. I expect to finish the game next weekm and then wait for Zero.

If I could pass along some advice I wish I would have followed when I got there: don't try and rush towards the ending because you're close. Take your time, and enjoy yourself. The payoff is worth it - it's just going to take longer than you think to get there.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If I could pass along some advice I wish I would have followed when I got there: don't try and rush towards the ending because you're close. Take your time, and enjoy yourself. The payoff is worth it - it's just going to take longer than you think to get there.
Don't worry, I've played for more than 100h already (talked to ALL NPC, got S on all chapters...) so I'm not in a hurry. I play the Kiseki games the way they are meant to be played: talking to all NPCs every time anything happens.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I haven't even started yet and my mind is already completely shattered.

muQKuYb.jpg

There are two different configuration tools! This is going to be amazing, isn't it?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The configuration tools are exactly the same, it's just that one's for the DirectX 9 version and the other one's for the DirectX 8 version. I actually suggest trying the latter first unless it has trouble running on your hardware.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
if you ever see that screen transitions take up to a second and are not instant, switch to dx8
same for menus, etc

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Just finished CS1. I liked it, but had a couple of issues compared to the Sky trilogy:
Rean is a decent enough protagonist, but not as compelling as Estelle or Kevin.
The harem bullshit adds nothing, damages character relationships and generally needs to go.
I'm not the biggest fan of chosen one narratives. Previous games didn't really have one , and I found it more compelling when characters worked their way up instead of Rean having a bunch of plot significance basically handed to him.
Good game otherwise, though, and I'm diving into CS2.

Last edited:

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of chosen one narratives. Previous games didn't really have one , and I found it more compelling when characters worked their way up instead Rean having a bunch of plot significance basically handed to him.
while technically he is "chosen", rean didnt actually do shit in the grand scheme of things. you'll enjoy cs2

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Just finished CS1. I liked it, but had a couple of issues compared to the Sky trilogy:

-Rean is a decent enough protagonist, but not as compelling as Estelle or Kevin. -> Agreed, Rean feels more "generic shounen MC" than the older characters, but is better than most JRPGs MC for lots of reasons. I like when the MC doesn't treat the player as an idiot, if I notice something from some character etc... Reans notices it too, which makes the game far more enjoyable that all these games that show the player things but the characters play dumb all the time.

-The harem bullshit adds nothing, damages character relationships and generally needs to go.-> Again agreed, it's clear that Falcom pushed Alisa all the way, and it's fine, but as you choose your romantic interest it's really dumb and looks like a contradiction. I'd prefer if they write a canon romance for Rean, because as it is now, it hurts all the other characters, as all girls have only eyes for Rean, and it looks artificial to see a group of young people with no romantic interest between them. For games like Persona is not as worse as the MC is a blank slate, but in a game series with a persistent lore and characters that will be important in later arcs, the harem thing was a really bad decision.

KlausRealta

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a prototype of that jacket at AX and it looks fantastic. I wish I took a picture, now that I think about it.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's even the point of giving these options if the narrative in subsequent games constantly disregards the player's choices, breaking the immersion? I know there are ways that games can incorporate romance options into serialized stories, by carrying over save data across games, and Falcom shouldn't bother with this harem stuff unless they respect the player's choices in their sequels.
Player choice is a lie!

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope it doesn't take too long for CS3 to come to PC. I guess I could always sell the PS4 version later if I get it physical. I really regretted playing CS1&2 on PS3 when they announced the PC version, turbo mode is such a huge QoL improvement, not to mention all the other features. I could've saved so many hours while also making the experience more enjoyable. At least I got them for 20 each during PSN sales.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, I hope it doesn't take too long for CS3 to come to PC. I guess I could always sell the PS4 version later if I get it physical. I really regretted playing CS1&2 on PS3 when they announced the PC version, turbo mode is such a huge QoL improvement, not to mention all the other features. I could've saved so many hours while also making the experience more enjoyable. At least I got them for 20 each during PSN sales.
Falcom says they're adding turbo for the western release, i don't think we have any footage of it yet though

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Forget turbo mode, I'd be happy if CS3 on PC would just run stable and without major graphical glitches. There's a reason Ys VIII on Steam had for the longest time the lowest review rating of any Falcom game, and it sure wasn't due to the actual game and this kind of stuff certainly affects sales. So I hope NISA doesn't botch this one again.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Forget turbo mode, I'd be happy if CS3 on PC would just run stable and without major graphical glitches. There's a reason Ys VIII on Steam had for the longest time the lowest review rating of any Falcom game, and it sure wasn't due to the actual game and this kind of stuff certainly affects sales. So I hope NISA doesn't botch this one again.

Yeah, there's that to worry about as well. Waiting for a PC version only to have it suck would, well, suck. If the PS4 version really has turbo mode that solves my biggest issue with playing it on console. The visual upgrade on PC is nice of course but CS3 doesn't have anything offensively bad like the shadows and environmental textures of the first 2 games to begin with, so it's fine. I played a bit of CS1 on PC and man, just having high res shadows, AA and texture filtering goes such a long way, what a difference.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yeah, there's that to worry about as well. Waiting for a PC version only to have it suck would, well, suck. If the PS4 version really has turbo mode that solves my biggest issue with playing it on console. The visual upgrade on PC is nice of course but CS3 doesn't have anything offensively bad like the shadows and environmental textures of the first 2 games to begin with, so it's fine. I played a bit of CS1 on PC and man, just having high res shadows, AA and texture filtering goes such a long way, what a difference.
They showed turbo mode gameplay, so it's confirmed:

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Man i would kill for portable trails again after vita....
Anyway dayone for ps4 pal since It comes fast few days after us release

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Man, I hope it doesn't take too long for CS3 to come to PC.
I prefer them facing the goals one at a time. First we need a good translation on par or at least close to the other CS games, and then we can worry about how many platforms can run the game. In fact in the shared AX footage there's some small spelling errors, so they need to polish this as much as they cany. I know that the game being on PC makes easy for fans to fix this kind of things, but I think that CS3 being as good as possible on the Ps4 should be NISA's main concern at this moment, more considering that this can greatly effect how the following entries are received (or released) in the west.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer them facing the goals one at a time. First we need a good translation on par or at least close to the other CS games, and then we can worry about how many platforms can run the game. In fact in the shared AX footage there's some small spelling errors, so they need to polish this as much as they cany. I know that the game being on PC makes easy for fans to fix this kind of things, but I think that CS3 being as good as possible on the Ps4 should be NISA's main concern at this moment, more considering that this can greatly effect how the following entries are received (or released) in the west.

You're right, I agree.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Indeed. First polish ps4 for September.
After that imho they should work on both pc and switch ports.
Meanwhile an announcement of cs4 would help

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Indeed. First polish ps4 for September.
After that imho they should work on both pc and switch ports.
Meanwhile an announcement of cs4 would help
I have the feeling (maybe I'm totally wrong...) that NISA acquired the rights for III and IV at the same time. As they have the entire localization/voice acting team set, it would be "easy" for them to simply continue with IV, but we don't know it III's sales will be an important factor. Also Kondo referenced NISA directly IIRC when some fan asked about Crossbell translation, so maybe they have already a grand plan to translate everything (this sounds crazy optimistic though, and first of all we need to know how good is III in English).

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be insane for Falcom to switch localization devs from between CS3 and 4, but I also thought they would be insane for switching it up after Trails and CS1&2 but then they did it.