• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Horrendous choice of music for the trailer, but I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Hopefully it can somehow spark a renaissance of hand drawn animated features.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus I feel like I've been waiting for this movie for a decade XD Been looking forward to it ever since they posted the first test footage on Vimeo five years ago:

I'll admit, I think I liked the original voice they had for the main character better than the Netflix version.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this is hand-drawn, it looks amazing. How are they doing the lighting pass?

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't believe this is hand-drawn, it looks amazing. How are they doing the lighting pass?
They're keeping it a secret, but based on what Sergio Pablos said at last year's Gobelin summer school I believe it's just done manually by a group of artists.

It's incredibly impressive.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
really looking forward to this. always down for a good hand-drawn animated film these days given how rare they've becoming in the west, and this is doing fantastic stuff with its visuals

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I remember being impressed by this ages ago. I honestly didn't know it was going to be a full feature film (and on Netflix of all places).

Hopefully it's good! Looks gorgeous.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
First, I want to say the animation looks incredible! I'm super glad at least one western studio is putting out a hand drawn animated movie this year.

The movie itself looks........ passable.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I admit i have no knowledge about drawing. But to me it looks not hand drawn. It looks cheap like something made in flash. Im dissapointed since i want a revival of classic hand drawn movies.

OP
OP
Xun

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
A couple of reviews for this:

Aside from a third-act moment or two where, understandably, the film lands harder than it needs to on emotional points, Klaus' biggest missteps are in the three scenes where music in contemporary genres muddies the timeless atmosphere. Though never very distracting, these music cues will be sore thumbs if, as could conceivably happen, Klaus becomes something families find themselves watching decades from now.
I was afraid of this.

When Sergio showed us a clip from the film last year temporary music for a scene became permanent since the producers like it...

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Looking forward to this one.

Also, man. Twitter is gonna be super weird about those two main characters. Rule 34 in full effect.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Jason Schwartzman and JK Simmons play the leads, so that alone has me interested. The stunning animation made this a must watch.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This looks great. As does the Green Eggs & Ham series. Netflix can occasionally put out really good Western animation.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
I admit i have no knowledge about drawing. But to me it looks not hand drawn. It looks cheap like something made in flash. Im dissapointed since i want a revival of classic hand drawn movies.
i mean, there's evidence in this very thread that the whole thing is hand drawn, and it absolutely does not look cheap at all. the lighting alone is so incredible that it had me thinking that this was some kind of super impressive 3D animation emulating 2D animation, but the breakdowns in this thread show that it resolutely is not - making those lighting passes all the more impressive.

not that it would matter how the whole thing was put together either way - hand drawn, flash, 3D or whatever - because the end result is still gorgeous and distinct. but it's definitely still hand drawn.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Film should be up on netflix either now or later today, will watch when I get home tonight.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
this film looks so impressive! Ive always adored 2d hand drawn animation. This is step 1 is resurrecting it

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful animation. The movie itself charming enough.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
Literally cried @ Klaus's farewell scene, this might be my second favorite christmas movie after the polar express :)

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw it and we have an Oscar material here. At least, it should be nominated.