• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried so many times to start KoTR but the glacial start and bizarre combat make me bounce off. Eventually I'll get it another shot.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
KOTOR never clicked with me. I really wanted to like it as that type of story telling in a game seemed so cool to me at the time but I absolutely hated the combat which I think was the main reason I bounced off it.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved KOTOR at launch. As many others have said, it doesn't hold up as well and KOTOR II is definitely better.

I think fallen order is a fantastic Star Wars game and probably the equal of KOTOR, but very different. I miss the walking around a city and talking to friendly npc sections of KOTOR, but as a third person action game that was to be expected.

I think it's better to compare fallen order to Jedi academy and I think fallen order is much better. Fallen order also succeeds where the force unleashed failed.

That being said, I think I'm at least halfway through fallen order and while I love the gameplay, the story is non existent. It's just go from planet to planet chasing a McMuffin.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kotor was amazing. My favorite RPG of all time, what a fucking great game at the time. Kotor 2 was also good, but I still vastly prefer the original one. BioWare was so fucking good - best devs of the 2000s. Baldurs Gate 2, then Kotor and then Mass Effect. Phew.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KotOR made this 80s kid care about Star Wars.

But I wouldn't care to replay it today, as the gameplay/tech was merely passable even on release.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time but I went back and played through KOTOR 2 "restored" and I gotta say that the gameplay has aged quite a bit. I guess it's a testament to these games greatness that I was able to sit down and play a nearly 15 year old game to completion but I would love a KOTOR 3 with some action RPG goodness mixed in.

Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR and Fallen Order are different gameplay genres, hard to compare. KOTOR had deep dialogue chains with party members, and some great lore attached to some of the quests. And facing off with the likes of a krayt dragon. It was very lengthy for the time, the opening planet took me 17 hours to leave. Fallen Order captures some of that feel but is single-character action.

At the time they were released, X-Wing was great but Tie Fighter was incredible. Starfighter Assault in Battlefront II is cool but there's no current heir to a Star Wars flight campaign.

The Mandalorian shows that a bounty-hunter-guild scenario is viable and could really make for a great game someday, both single player and shared online.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR combat is bad. Anyone who values good combat in a SW game has a huge list of better games to play.

Not saying game as a whole is bad.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I loved KOTOR but I as long as the back half of Fallen Order keeps up I think this is my new favorite Star Wars game.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I would take a remastered version of KOTOR and KOTOR II with improved graphics/performance that was functional on modern systems and PC over a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
When EA loses the license and Obsidian makes KotOR 3, we'll definitely have a new pinnacle.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wrong answer.

511ZX4A7F1L._SY445_.jpg

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
My personal rankings of Star Wars games (I've played) goes like this: Tie Fighter > KOTOR2 > Jedi Knight 2 = KOTOR > X-Wing Alliance > Dark Forces > Rebellion

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Rogue Leader is still number one in my book.
It's no Tie Fighter.

mazar1234_4de7e863590d3.png

526061-star-wars-tie-fighter-dos-screenshot-this-eerie-tattoo-designates.png
KOTOR 2 was better imo
It was surpassed by Jedi Outcast. So, yes.

I think we can all agree that any of these, along with the original Battlefront 2, can be considered the pinnacle of Star Wars games. Hell, most of these come from the golden era of SW games (early-mid 2000s). It's a shame we'll probably never see so many quality SW games at once again.

It has been surpassed. I recommend you install 2017's Battlefront 2.

Nah. Mediocre campaign and terrible balance issues with the multiplayer.

It's the best Star Wars game we've gotten in a while, but that's not saying much.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i gave KOTOR a good hour or so a couple months ago on Game Pass i think?

couldn't stomach it. I think like the average gamer...i can't really tolerate RPGs like that. And the combat was certainly not fun.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Did you forget the /s? I think you did. This game was awful especially the solo campaign. An hour in and it was just so subpar and flat. Just terrible.
And yet the campaign is still better than the abysmal multiplayer. I don't know how you get the developers of battlefield to make TWO bad battlefront games but they somehow pulled it off.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
TIE Fighter is *easily* the best Star Wars game, and there are some really great ones like Rogue Leader, Jedi Outcast/Academy, Republic Commando, TOR, etc. I'm sure there are some holdout people thinking "what's the big deal about TIE Fighter, I love KOTOR and it can't be any better" and you people really owe it to yourself to scoop it off Steam or GOG for less than ten bucks, plug in a stick, and try it out. It will run on a toaster. It's a masterpiece, and it routinely sits near the top of Best PC Games of All Time lists.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Kotor always just felt really vanilla to me. It didn't help that the main villain was super boring, and I didn't really like the big twist. Kotor 2 on the other hand was really interesting. It provided an unique look at the universe as a whole, and the supporting cast was much more engaging. I'd also put Rogue Squadron ahead of Kotor, but that's just because I loved flying all the different starships.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Kotor always just felt really vanilla to me. It didn't help that the main villain was super boring, and I didn't really like the big twist. Kotor 2 on the other hand was really interesting. It provided an unique look at the universe as a whole, and the supporting cast was much more engaging. I'd also put Rogue Squadron ahead of Kotor, but that's just because I loved flying all the different starships.
Kotor 1 is basically Star Wars comfort food and I enjoy it for that

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
TIE Fighter is *easily* the best Star Wars game, and there are some really great ones like Rogue Leader, Jedi Outcast/Academy, Republic Commando, TOR, etc. I'm sure there are some holdout people thinking "what's the big deal about TIE Fighter, I love KOTOR and it can't be any better" and you people really owe it to yourself to scoop it off Steam or GOG for less than ten bucks, plug in a stick, and try it out. It's a masterpiece, and it routinely sits near the top of Best PC Games of All Time lists.
If I haven't enjoyed basically any dogfighting in any videogame yet is it even worth checking out?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Kotor 1 is basically Star Wars comfort food and I enjoy it for that

That makes perfect sense. I can understand why people like it so much, I just have always felt a little cold towards the game. Part of it is probably just me being tired with the Bioware formula to be honest. My only real pettiness is that I wish Kotor 2 and its characters got referenced more.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
And yet the campaign is still better than the abysmal multiplayer. I don't know how you get the developers of battlefield to make TWO bad battlefront games but they somehow pulled it off.
I'm just still really sore because I bought it for the single player and regretted it so fast. I did some research first and it seemed to get a decent amount of praise but I hated it so much. Visually it looked great, but it bored me so and didn't get any better.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I tried a couple of times to play, but the game was so slow and horribly archaic. Maybe someone will do a remake :p

I'd still play it over fallen order, though. I'm still pissed how mediocre that game turned out

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if it was actually a good game but good god would I love a modern version of a bounty hunting game. I'd sacrifice cyberpunk2077 for it.

Also are we forgetting a Republic Commando????

KotOR is cool but I don't like how it plays and I think it's a little dumb that it takes place thousands of years in the past but still has the same tech.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
How's the combat in these games?
It doesn't seem to be there judging from videos, but the RPG system does look intricate

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Honestly that whole generation was great for star wars games. Jedi Knight and Academy, both Battlefronts, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, both KOTORs. It was ridiculous in the best way possible.

And while I think the highest high in KOTOR beats out KOTOR 2, KOTOR 2 as a whole is a better game than the first.
It doesn't seem to be there judging from videos, but the RPG system does look intricate
Think like a midway point between Baldur's Gate and the powers system from the first Mass Effect.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So KOTOR's didn't age well? And if they did, which one I should play, or they are both essential?
The combat is pretty poor because it doesn't really know what it wants to be. Also you may have some trouble getting it to run but I'm pretty sure compatability mode fixed any issues I had.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Everyone has their fav, I liked pretty much most SW games.

Dark Forces 1&2 were my main jam back in the day though. The book tie-ins were cool too since they were partially graphic novels.

latest

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Knight is untouched. And I like all of the Battlefront games more. Both Kotor games are great though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The RPG systems mechanics-wise are also pretty lacking. I like to think of Dragon Age: Origins as Kotor's spiritual successor and DA:O handles classes much better. From what I remember there's basically just close combat melee lightsaber, power heavy jedi and blaster builds that sucked in comparison. Your powers change depending on what alignment you use and even if you go the melee route you can still use some powers but yeah the highlight in playing KOTOR 1 today would be the story, world and characters. KOTOR 2 expands the combat systems a little bit but I still really really hate the moment to moment combat in the games and I enjoy pretty much every other RPG combat system evrr.

I remember there was some haste ability that also affected movement speed and I used it all the time to get around the hubs even though it looked so silly.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Probably the only game I ever played that made me hit "START" again right after the ending credits rolled. A masterpiece.

Never got to experience Tie Fighter because I just wasn't into PC gaming at the time. They really need to remake it.