• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one has made a review thread yet.

RT: 96%

Variety
Johnson keeps us guessing, which is good, but the thing that makes this a better mousetrap than most isn't the complexity, but the fact he's managed to rig it without the usual cheese.

Entertainment Weekly
A silly, stabby, supremely clever whodunnit that only really suffers from having too little room for each of its talented players to fully register in the film's limited run time.

IndieWire
A crackling, devious, and hugely satisfying old-school whodunnit with a modern twist...

Hollywood Reporter
A delicious throwback to the all-star whodunit, this juicy comedy thriller is a treat from start to finish, which should make it a sizeable hit for Lionsgate.

AV Club
This, in other words, is one of those mysteries so clever and fiendishly well-engineered that you eventually have no choice but to stop trying to get ahead of it, to simply enjoy the way it plants and payoffs.

Guardian
Working from his own original script, Johnson has much fun pulling the strings as well as the rug from underneath us time and time again.

Slate
There's no one on earth, or even in the movies, who talks quite the way the people in Knives Out do, but we become conversant in their idiosyncratic patois by listening to it and learning the rules of this stylized fictional world.

Chicago Tribune
Writer-director Rian Johnson's fizzy Agatha Christie riff "Knives Out" succeeds as a throwback with more than mere nostalgia on its mind.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Good movie. I'd personally give it a 7 out of 10 as I thought the story dragged in places but the dialogue and directing were on point.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night, very fun movie. It definitely has a bit of a problem balancing some of the cast
with Chris Evans absent from most of the first half and Jamie Lee Curtis and Toni Collette absent from the majority of the second half
but Daniel Craig is having the time of his life and I was thoroughly entertained the entire time.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I thought there was a review thread? It's been screened at festivals for months. Shit, it feels like it's been out for months.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But wait a minute....I thought Rian was a 'shit writer'? Hmmm.

Lucasfilm have should have had the balls to go ahead with this man's trilogy. The worst decision they've made since Disney took them over.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Lucasfilm have should have had the balls to go ahead with this man's trilogy. The worst decision they've made since Disney took them over.
Agreed. Though I think it's less about Rian Johnson and more about LF having no idea what the future of SW should be. Either way, he needs more movies in the SW universe.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the most 'fun' I've had watching a movie this year. Movie is surprisingly hilarious

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. Though I think it's less about Rian Johnson and more about LF having no idea what the future of SW should be. Either way, he needs more movies in the SW universe.

When did that happen? Last I heard he confirmed it was still on.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wild RT score! Seeing it Tuesday, I'm pretty pumped.

Edit: This should go without saying, but the topic of the thread is not The Last Jedi, or Star Wars. Let's keep it on topic, y'all.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't even realize that it's already out. I'll probably see it this week, looks like a lot of fun

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking loved it so much.

His take on the whodunit is so refreshing, I've never seen a mystery story told this way.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There was a review thread. I believe back in August? The movie had glowing reviews since then.
I believe you are talking about this one: https://www.resetera.com/threads/first-impressions-for-rian-johnsons-knives-out.139739/
I didn't even realize that it's already out. I'll probably see it this week, looks like a lot of fun
It's early screenings, it will be officially out on the 27th.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of good movies hitting in such a short time. Already seen Parasite and I think its either this or The Irishman up next.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Fantastic movie, saw it last night. It's both exactly what I thought it was gonna be and so much more than I thought it was gonna be.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Rian has always been good but ambitious to a fault. I'm glad he's allowed to make movies because they are always interesting.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, I don't think its anywhere close to what RT critics/userscores are rating it, but its pretty solid. Wife enjoyed it a bit more than me. Some previews are still running the entire week before it officially opens this upcoming weekend I guess. I'd agree that the cast is very underutilized, and while I don't really have any specific problems with it Daniel Craig effects a very southern accent in the movie and it was pretty distracting. On purpose? I dunno. It just didn't feel like an amazing story to me, and the "jigsaw nature" of the movie puzzle didn't go together that well I thought.

Still, its nice to go see an adult movie where people mostly just talk, and I'm kinda unsure whether the movie is supposed to be a straight up murder mystery (if so, its pretty average in that) or some sort of deconstruction/critique of murder-mystery tropes, and if its the latter it kinda went over my head I guess.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't wanted to see a movie more than this one all year. Can't wait.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from an Unlimited Screening.

I'll say I was half-right on my prediction on how this was playing out going in on this.

There's a lot of fun twists on this one, I do feel this is the film that if you do get spoiled on though, you will still have a blast watching it. All the plants of clues are greatly done in this one.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This wasn't on my radar until I saw the review headline on Ars Technica. Will definitely check it out after the holiday.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Grace Randolph rotten review pop up.

I laughed.
"Okay, I guess, but not at all what the trailers promised. Audiences sold on an ensemble murder mystery, but instead they get a thriller with aggressive political undertones..."

It's not an ensemble murder mystery because it's also aggressively political? Also, why is this movie being a critique on Trump's America a negative? Oh wait, I know why.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like this so bad.

Not at all the movie the trailers sold. Barely a whodunit. All of the political stuff was surface level garbage. Like someone saw the word "incel" in a news article but didn't bother doing any research beyond that.

The movie literally tells you the answer to the mystery halfway through the runtime, and then never does anything interesting with it. All of the characters other than Daniel Craig and the lead girl were cardboard cutouts. Some may argue it's intentional, but even if it is it's boring.