• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
So it's hard to discuss the film without getting into spoiler territory because of the nature of the film and to prevent the Review thread becoming a default place for spoilers let's just break down the movie here!

The film is best enjoyed going in blind so this is your last warning if you have any inclination of seeing it.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie has so many moments that'd make great gifs.

The final shot of the film of Marta drinking from the mug would get a lot of use.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a big letdown that they advertised such a huge cast of enigmatic characters and actors, and then basically stopped using them after the first 30 minutes.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I was shocked when it was revealed Marta killed him so early on and knew there had to be something else going on.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was shocked when it was revealed Marta killed him so early on and knew there had to be something else going on.
I loved that so much, I've never seen a whodunnit where you're watching it from the POV of the person who did it. Seeing her trying to mess up Blanc was really great.

Everything with Marta was just stellar, loved her character so much.

OP
OP
Jam

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I clocked Evans' involvement with the dogs barking during the night not being explained and then immediately barking at him, and the antidote being missing as well as the will on goings.

Didn't put two and two or all the pieces together about swapped medications and what not so the ending still gave me some catharsis explaining how "everything" fit into place.

Even if the mystery wasn't a complete twist, or expertly buried, I enjoyed the moment to moment content of the film immensely.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah the "my house" on the mug final shot was fucking genius.

Also loved how the trailers spoiler jack shit. The outcome of Plummer's death is revealed super early and the film leaps off to become a cavalcade of additional mysteries.

Great way to dispense with a lot of the moldiness and familiarity of whodunnit stories.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
The three theories I had since pretty much the start basically all proved to be at least somewhat true. First thought during the very start was that it was actually a suicide. Second thought was that it was Ransom. And then once I noticed they weren't interviewing Marta alongside everyone else, I figured it was her but also figured if she did it, it was either an accident or some kind of assisted suicide thing.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
As soon as Ransom became a side character I was like "yeah he did it". That's my dumb writer brain thinking ahead to what would make sense for the plot instead of just enjoying it.

Also, they almost got me with the red herring of Richards' baseball. One of the lieutenants had a baseball tie on, so I was like "ooo maybe thats a hint?"

edit, I also thought the movie thought it was being more clever than it actually was with its cinematography. Like when they were interviewing Marta and she was the only person who was framed in the center of the circle of knives. When I can figure out what you're trying to say, you're saying it pretty loud.

Overall, really enjoyed it. Fun movie.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be very interesting to return to this film in ten years time. It's very "of the moment" in the best way possible.

edit, I also thought the movie thought it was being more clever than it actually was with its cinematography. Like when they were interviewing Marta and she was the only person who was framed in the center of the circle of knives. When I can figure out what you're trying to say, you're saying it pretty loud.

Overall, really enjoyed it. Fun movie.

Tbh, I didn't even notice that. But yes, the film could benefit from some subtlety.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I both called it and didn't call it.

Not too long into the movie I called that she was responsible for the dude's death but I didn't call every twist that came after it, including the twist that I was wrong. When it showed that she was responsible i thought the rest of the movie was gonna be her trying to cover her tracks from Daniel Craig. Thought Ransom was too obvious but I guess I overthought it, though I knew the old woman was gonna pin it on him anyway. This was probably the best Clue since Clue, especially those credits. That credits art screamed Clue.

Loved the family. They reminded me a bit of the family in Ready or Not in that they were all a bunch of rich assholes but some of them were a lot less of assholes than others, but when push came to shove between them and the money they weren't afraid to step over that line and turn full heel. Most notable case is Linda who was pretty fond of Marta going straight to "YOU BITCH!" when she finds out that she got left everything. Also appreciate that the patriarch of the family was a legit good guy who did his best to help her out. Also lol at the alt right kid. They nailed that archetype perfectly.

Overall I thought it was a great movie with amazing cinematography, nice little background easter eggs and callbacks (The "My House, My Rules, My Coffee" mug being passed from the patriarch to Marta when she wins the game by playing by her rules, him telling her that they "wouldn't know a real knife from a prop", the centering of the knives on Daniel Craig as his head fills the center of the knife "donut" the shot at the end where she's now above them all, Chris Evans being called 'Ransom', etc.)

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Ana de Armas was great, though I was genuinely surprised that she got so much screen time given the ensemble nature.

Really fun movie. Reminded me heavily of Clue - didn't they even mention that in the movie?

I thought the victim had swapped the medicine himself as some elaborate revenge plan on his family.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
As an immigrant in America, Marta's role is this movie is something that I'm extremely grateful for. All the stuff with her mom was beautifully written.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was a lot of fun. Audience burst into laughter at quite a few points.

Once Ransom went from side character to supporting it was kinda obvious he was behind it, but seeing how it was all done was still satisfying.

OP
OP
Jam

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Any Pynchon readers here? Read a couple of his books but not Gravity's Rainbow, does it resonate with the plot at all beyond the talk of the arcs that reoccurs and the idea of literary pretentiousness?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. Strangely this is a murder mystery where the setup was more exciting than the solution. I really loved seeing how the murder actually happened from the beginning and the subsequent tension of wanting her to get away with it. I think the only part that could be improved would be giving the family a bit more screentime in the ending third. Ransom kind of takes over and the family becomes a monolith when they deserve to be shining on their own.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning that Ana de Armas is gonna be in the new Bond movie too.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I loved that so much, I've never seen a whodunnit where you're watching it from the POV of the person who did it. Seeing her trying to mess up Blanc was really great.

You might like the old show Columbo then, the whole premise is seeing the crime committed by the killer, who then must try to outwit the detective (Columbo) attempting to solve the mystery. It's not exactly the same, and doesn't often have last minute additional twists like Knives Out, but it's still a really good show that scratches a similar itch.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
What a pretty nice whodunit film. For a movie that is like almost 2 and a half hours, it certainly didn't felt that long either.

Had a feeling something was up with Ransom, but it was cool seeing how Harlan died early on, and Marta trying to cover her tracks ha ha.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I called Ransom switching the vials early on but didn't know how he did it. I was surprised that the murder was "solved" in the first half of film and then we followed the "murderer", but I guess that was you expect from Rian "Subvert" Johnson lol. And he kept his foot on right-wing America's neck all throughout the film lol.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Craig mentions dogs being a great judge of character, before we see them warmly great Marta, warmly greet Linda, and then bark at Ransom. That was my tip off he was behind whatever was happening, but I loved how well they paced the subsequent twists and turns.

Great film, a lot of little details to appreciate on subsequent watches.

Apr 19, 2018
As I mentioned in the Review thread, I dug the almost reverse-engineered approach they took in laying out and then solving the central mystery. Certainly made for a fresh take on the genre. My only real complaint are the information dumps the narrative tends to favor; they're a lot to process at once, and while they're immensely engaging dumps, they are dumps nonetheless.

I couldn't see most of the twists coming, save for near the end when the hospital called regarding Fran's fate. It was clearly telegraphed beforehand, though, and you suspected that Marta was playing along with Blanc for the sake of baiting out Ransom. The vomit punctuated the point nicely, though. ;)

But it's really the smaller moments that make the film so memorable.

-Lakeith Stanfield's Elliot quipping that Thrombey practically lives on a Clue board. Also: "the dumbest car chase of all time", lol.

-Frank freaking Oz playing the straight man lawyer to this colorful family.

-Blanc's doughnut analogy. My god. xD

-The family constantly getting Marta's nationality wrong.

-They made Michael Shannon's Walter outright terrifying when he was confronting Marta at her apartment, what with that editing of the cane stomping.

-Nana mischievously giggling after Blanc's turnabout announcement that Marta was not the murderer and she won't be giving up the inheritance.

-Ransom's utterance of resignation when he says "shit" after realizing that the knife at the end is a prop.

-And yes, that final 'mug' shot capping off the film.

Last edited:

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think my only complaint about the movie was Trooper Wagner yelling "She threw up which means she lied!" at the end. Just seemed unnecessary to say it.

I truly adored this film.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. A bit heavy handed with the messaging but I wouldn't have expected a murder mystery to wrap into social commentary so that in itself was enjoyable.

I do agree with the earlier comment about the family being dispensed extremely early once it goes down the rabbit hole with Marta, I was hoping for more considering the stacked cast. Also there were moments in the second/third act that felt they dragged because immediately absolving the bulk of the family and knowing Marta was following a plan kind of took the stakes away for a bit.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just cus he's kind of a goofball, like, duh dude.

Yeah fair enough. Would've just prefered something else there.

Also I noted in one of the other threads: in a Q&A that I attended, Don Johnson said that when he handed Marta the plate during the argument, that was an ad lib, which I thought was a nice touch to add in.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Craig's delivery of the line at the end about the "Nazi boy masturbating in the bathroom."
Movie was a lot of fun. Assumed that she didn't really mix up the drugs and that Ransom was involved, since everyone else was taking a back seat.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was a fucking great film. Of the movies I've seen directed by Johnson, the script is by far the best Johnson has worked with.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"It was the little donut inside the donut center!"

Seriously, the donut scene was one of the best things I've seen in cinema this year. What a wickedly funny movie.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this was way better than I expected from some people's reactions.

Rich people suck

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'll post what I did in the review thread. Overall, okay movie but wasn't super impressed by any means.

I really wanted to like this film. I thoroughly enjoyed Brick - and while I'm not a huge fan of his latter works, I don't dislike TLJ and I had a good time with Looper.

In 30 years of watching movies, I've never really latched onto the "the film isn't as smart as it thinks it is." But that's the most succinct way I can express my feelings on Knives Out. The structure is just plain weird - with a reveal about a third of the way into the movie just completely deflating any steam or intrigue. It all coming together at the end wasn't all that unique or creative, and the actual breakdown of what actually happened was pretty boring, with no exciting revelation at all. Both my wife and I were kinda rolling our eyes during the last ten minutes - especially the whole hospital phone call -> knife scene at the very end.

Short version - I guess because of its unique plot strucutre, I was waiting for a big reveal. Maybe that's my fault - but the genre has built that up and it's an easy expectation to have. But the big reveal never really came. It truly was just a vanilla murder mystery - a 60 minute Law & Order episode - expanded to a $100MM feature film.

Some good quips. A great first 20 minutes or so. Ana De Armas is both breathtakingly beautiful and a fantastic actress. She carried most the film on her shoulders, among some arguably supremely talented co-stars. I didn't dislike it. But I was definitely disappointed and I certainly won't watch it again or suggest others make a commitment to catching it in theaters.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Turning a whodunit into a crime procedural thriller/domestic thriller happening within a whodunit mystery was brilliant. Shifting the perspective from detective to perp of the murder mystery, then having the perp helping while simultaneously covering up...just wonderful

The dog coming back with the trellis piece was absolutely hilarious.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked that the subtext was a bit more than rich people and alt righters suck. It was also about classism and privilage, and the casual racism that follows. Maybe it was a bit too on the nose at times (ancestral home bit comes to mind) but it fits with the sort of loud satirical tone.

Nov 1, 2017
No matter how heavy handed you think this movie was with its message, I guarantee half of the general audiences who see this will walk out completely oblivious to the fact that there was a message in here at all.

Anyways, absolutely loved this. Most of the best twists happen in the first half but I was still having a blast until the end. Also impressed with how cleanly the central metaphor reads. That's hard to do in combination with good storytelling, especially in a well-worn framework like the whodunnit.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
In 30 years of watching movies, I've never really latched onto the "the film isn't as smart as it thinks it is." But that's the most succinct way I can express my feelings on Knives Out. The structure is just plain weird - with a reveal about a third of the way into the movie just completely deflating any steam or intrigue.
I felt the total opposite honestly. As soon as the scene with the injections happened the tension ratcheted up intensely. I was way more physically anxious than I normally am during a movie because I didn't put it past them to actually make this about a tragic accident and the tension between the detective and the (accidental) perpetrator. The ending wasn't the strongest but but up until she goes in to make the confession to the family I thought it was brilliant

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I clocked Evans' involvement with the dogs barking during the night not being explained and then immediately barking at him, and the antidote being missing as well as the will on goings.

Didn't put two and two or all the pieces together about swapped medications and what not so the ending still gave me some catharsis explaining how "everything" fit into place.

Even if the mystery wasn't a complete twist, or expertly buried, I enjoyed the moment to moment content of the film immensely.
I kind of liked that him and Thrombey were seemingly good friends and that he had him in on the scheme, which made me a bit disappointed that Random was actually the killer.

And boy was this one modern film, I don't expect older viewers to get half the references. An SJW drop, lol.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Ransom was involved because of the barking dogs, but I thought maybe Plummer was forcing him into assisted suicide. Once he started blackmailing Marta though, I knew he couldn't be a good guy.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the film. The reveal wasn't so much of a reveal but the performances were so damn great and the direction was solid it didn't matter.

Edit: and yeah I saw this with two family members all of us hispanic and we were dying at having seen the same shit. Them being her friend until she gets above them and all of a sudden blackmail, betrayal, racism, accusations.

Fuck them. I'm glad she wasn't going to share shit. The one that pissed me off the most was the feminist studies friend who revealed her true colors when her nice steady flow of money was threatened.