• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Unless I'm reading this wrong it suggests 2021 to me. If someone has a link to the full interview please post and I'll add it to the OP

Edit: link to article (in Japanese, obviously)
https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2018-05-23/P95T6M6K50XU01
The Japanese Article:
https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2018-05-23/P95T6M6K50XU01

My thoughts:
Kodera is clearly a Japanese man that wants to revitalize Playstation in Japan - the land of the handheld.

EDIT: Sounds like a dockable PS Vita Next to me.

In the end of the article:
"Kodera says regarding PS4":
"Rather than cutting a line between handheld and console - in order to present a better gaming experience through one way/device (手段= could be translated as "device" I think), we need to think directly about what kind of steps can be made regarding delivering a handheld experience"

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Coming soon: The PS5, which looks suspiciously like a Nintendo Switch.

Dec 2, 2017
"But Vita is worthless and dead lolol"

- Said Era and *predecessor community* for like the last 5 years.

Still the boss of true portables. May it live on for years.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 is a beast. Sony is outright destroying the competition. Their library of games this gen is insane.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I suppose they won't be rushed. They won't make the same mistake they did with PS3 so it probably wouldn't matter if Sony launched last and even with a slightly less powerful device to MS. Because it's all about that launch price and development suite. They nail those and they'll be good.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Vita 2/PSP3 with PS3+ power. Sony can port every single PS3 game they made onto the thing. I'll even take a Heavenly Sword port.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well Sony, if you don'f succeed teice, third time's the charm right on the portable market. I really hope they don't blow there PS4 revenue on Vita 2.0. Playstation Switch won't get you higher CPU specs.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
When do those 3 years start? this year? next year? If its this year that would line up with a November 2020 release. If not it could be 2021.Also wonder how Layden and Cerny feel about Kodera being this open. When Layden and Cerny might not be so ready to openly talk about next-gen yet. Kodera is basically saying it without saying it. PS5 will be with us in 3 years.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Zero interest in upgrading my PS4, with Spiderman, RDR2, Kingdom Hearts 3 and that zombie one coming out so soon.

And would generally be very hesitant to buy another Sony system in the near future, particularly if it didn't have BC.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
The "three years" part is a misinterpretation. It's simply because Sony (as a whole) has presented a three-year plan for its businesses yesterday. It's not meant to give a hard deadline on PS4 or PS5.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*considers various options*

tenor.gif

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'd love another PSP/Vita but I have a hard time seeing how they'd pull it off. For it to have even a remote chance of succeeding it would have to share library with the Playstation home console, and I'm not sure if the tech is there or if the games are scalable enough.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just means PS4 will receive games for at least another 3 years. It's not like PS4 drops off the face of the Earth once PS5 releases.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Still saying Fall 2020 for PS5, it just makes the most sense. I'm sure they'll still support the PS4 for a 2-3 years after its release as well.

I don't think it's worthless but in the eyes of Sony and those wanting a machine like the PSP it is dead.

Otherwise, where are all the 1st party exclusives?

When was the last one, 2015? Hell, Killzone Mercenary came out in 2013 and it STILL has yet to be beaten graphically. That's unheard of in a system because usually its manufacturer continues to get the most out of the system, and it's sad because we'll never see the Vita's true potential. Sony acknowledges the system every few months but it's all talk.

Again, it's a really cool system, and I enjoyed my time with mine. But it's not exactly a lifeforce of games.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It sold like a Wii U and is considered a big failure everywhere. It's like more than 60M units behind the second worst selling Playstation machine... lol

Just because a Sony guy is making good PR for a Sony machine means nothing. Nintendo doesn't call the Wii U crap too.

Oct 28, 2017
So basically like ps2 was supported years after ps3 was on the market and again with ps3 after PS4 launched.

I doubt very much they wait till 2021 to launch ps5. More like PS4 will continue to be supported with smaller games while ps5 development is prioritized.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The "three years" part is a misinterpretation. It's simply because Sony (as a whole) has presented a three-year plan for its businesses yesterday. It's not meant to give a hard deadline on PS4 or PS5.
I'm not sure about that. I'd like to see a more complete translation but the three years comment seems pretty clearly linked to the end of PS4 life cycle comment in the tweets reporting on this.