• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
85da5d66b6.png

Are you a fan of Koei Tecmo games?
Do you Lu Bu in the morning and Hayabusa in the evening, and Atelier on Weekends?

Well, fret not, there's a place to meet up now.
Introducing the KT Era, for all things KT.

What is Koei Tecmo, and why should you care?

Koei Tecmo is a Japanese video game publisher resulting of the purchase of Koei of the companies Tecmo and Gust.

Koei.png

Koei, founded in 1978 by the Erikawa family, reached worldwide acclaim for their games, such as Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors. Yoichi Erikawa, one of the founders, is still CEO today - and also voiced Oda Nobunaga in 2017's Nioh.

Omega_force_logo.png

It's most-known studio is Omega Force, founded in 1996, as the Team behind most of the Dynasty Warriors titles. Omega Force is also behind WinBack, the game that pioneered the cover-based shooter, and went on to inspire games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Resident Evil 4 with its mechanics.

latest

Tecmo, founded in 1967 as Tekhan, was founded as a... cleaning... equipment company... but eventually made its way in the video game industry through amusement equipment. Tecmo reached worldwide fame through games such as Tecmo Bowl, Ninja Gaiden and Rygar, as well as Dead or Alive later on.

220px-Team_Ninja.png

It's most-known studio is
Team Ninja, founded in 1995 by Tomunobu Itagaki. It is known for developing games such as Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid: Other M, Nioh and Hyrule Warriors.

Gust_Co._Logo.png

Gust, founded in 1993, is a video game developer focused on creating JRPG experiences. Originally starting out as a indie developer, releasing self-published indie titles for Japanese home computers in the 90s, they eventually made their to major game development towards the end of the century, and hit gold with their release of the "Atelier Marie" in 1997 - a series still getting sequels to date. They're mostly known for the Atelier and Ar nosurge / Ar Tonelico series.

ddbedd87f9.png

Ruby Party, founded in 1994, is a video game developer mostly focused on creating VN experience made for female audiences. They're mostly known for developing and maintaining franchises such as Haruka: Beyond the Stream of Time and La Corda D'Oro. The studio is being led by Mei Erikawa, the daughter of the Erikawa family.

5020e7e1b4.png

Koei_Tecmo_Holdings_logo_20090401.png

Release Schedule

October 15, 2020 - Nioh 2: DLC 2
December 8, 2020 - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Early 2021 - Atelier Ryza 2
2021 - Uncharted Waters Origins
TBA - Uncharted Waters IV HD
TBA - Ar & Ciel nosurge HD​

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Nice thread!

Definitely subbed, while I continue to do various rituals in order to get a new Fatal Frame game!

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy a lot of what KT puts out, I think in general they are better then many people give them credit for despite how much I wish they could get their shit straight with PC port even if I don't play games on PC.

I keep hoping that we will get a 3rd Toukiden but I don't really know if KT thought 2 was a flop or if it did well enough to try for a third time. The stories in both the first and second games really grabbed me for some reason.

I also really love Nioh

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting community thread lol.

I love Koei-Tecmo. They make the kind of mid-tier experiences I like and even though their content can feel a bit rushed sometimes, a lot of it is very good.

I wish they hadn't unceremoniously dropped Vita in the west as quickly as they did, but other than that they're ace.

Oct 27, 2017
Got into Koei Tecmo games at the start of this generation as they were the provider for a lot of consistently amazing products. 2014-2015 were peak years especially with Samurai Warriors IV, Atelier Shallie, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, Ar no Surge, Hyrule Warriors, Deception IV, and Toukiden.

Feels like they've been sort of in a rut lately with Toukiden 2 lacking a lot of content, focusing a lot more on licensed titles, many of which have come out meh, Gust's games all being sort of broken while also being not really fun to play and lacking the charm their games usually have, Warriors All Stars being a lesser version of Warriors Orochi, and Dynasty Warriors 9 taking the cake as honestly being a very poorly done effort.

I really hope this is a wake up call to them because they really made a fan out of me, someone who steered clear of their games due to a decade of negative press. I also hope that the lack of releases this year post-Attack on Titan 2 is a sign that they're going back to the drawing board to make some great games.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Dead or Alive is my main thing from KT (Think its the best fighting game series out there) but Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors were pretty damn good. Kinda sucks how most PC ports get botched tho.

Kinda wish Deception IV was on more systems and also announce DOA6 already goddamnit

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Between, Musou, Fatal Frame, Dead or Alive, Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Deception (to name a few), I have a feeling that this OT will be my jam.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I generally love Team Ninja's output, and Omega force has some pretty nice hits (some good warriors games, toukiden). Deception is a nostalgic favorite of mine as well back from Kagero Deception 2..so i guess i have a lot to say

OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
I enjoy a lot of what KT puts out, I think in general they are better then many people give them credit for despite how much I wish they could get their shit straight with PC port even if I don't play games on PC.

I keep hoping that we will get a 3rd Toukiden but I don't really know if KT thought 2 was a flop or if it did well enough to try for a third time. The stories in both the first and second games really grabbed me for some reason.

I also really love Nioh

They said that the Toukiden team is working on a "new project" in an interview a couple months ago.

Interesting community thread lol.

I love Koei-Tecmo. They make the kind of mid-tier experiences I like and even though their content can feel a bit rushed sometimes, a lot of it is very good.

I wish they hadn't unceremoniously dropped Vita in the west as quickly as they did, but other than that they're ace.

I noticed that there's an surprising amount of KT fans and fanbse crossover within their titles, so I thought a thread would be quite fitting.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Anyone know what's up with KT Europe's social network team?

They used to interact so much with their "#KTFamily" and do giveaways every week and stuff like that. Now it seems they post a scheduled tweet every now and then and that's it. Meanwhile KT America has really stepped up their game.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always been a fan of Nobunagas Ambition.

Team Ninja knocked it out of the park with Nioh last year. Probably my GOTY.

Kou Shibusawa seems like a pretty cool guy.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Anyone know what's up with KT Europe's social network team?

They used to interact so much with their "#KTFamily" and do giveaways every week and stuff like that. Now it seems they post a scheduled tweet every now and then and that's it. Meanwhile KT America has really stepped up their game.
That was a hallmark of the "Inspector Chin" era. You could tell that the former owner of Koei Warriors enjoyed being the community manager of KT itself.

It's unfortunate, but his departure seemed to mark the end of that kind of interaction the KTFamily enjoyed.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Between ROTK13, nobunaga taishi and DW9, it is very sad I couldn't enjoy any of their output last few years. The only saving grace is Atelier for me.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
That was a hallmark of the "Inspector Chin" era. You could tell that the former owner of Koei Warriors enjoyed being the community manager of KT itself.

It's unfortunate, but his departure seemed to mark the end of that kind of interaction the KTFamily enjoyed.

I really miss Chin. They did replace him with someone (Drakehunter?) but he left fairly quickly and was nowhere near as good.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Not really a fan, but I enjoyed some of their games, like Toukiden, Nioh or Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate amongst others (and I'm still waiting for Orochi Warriors 4). But if there's one thing that I hate about them, its their pricing policy on pc. When you look at DW8 on steam, and you see that it's still 49,99€ four years after the game release, it's kind of saddening... Same thing about the price of DW9 (69,99€). You can see that they're really greedy, to say the least.

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss Chin. They did replace him with someone (Drakehunter?) but he left fairly quickly and was nowhere near as good.
Chin was hands down one of the best community managers that I've ever met in the industry. He had so much passion, and love for his job and fans. I became friends with him after winning a competition nearly a decade ago on Facebook, and we kept in touch for years until I moved to Canada.

Meeting him in person at an event further solidified my respect for him, as he was 100% genuine.

Last edited:

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would do a new Gitaroo Man though! I am a huge fan of the original game. And I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends: Complete Edition, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 and Arslan: Warriors of Legend quite a lot in the past week. XD

Can't wait to get a Switch and play some Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors in the future as well. Oh, and I still want to get my hands on Dragon Quest Warriors 1 and 2. Shame about DW9 though, I liked that they've taken a risk, but it just didn't work for the series apparently.

Edit: And yeah, loved the Kessen series as well, would love to see that make a return too. Especially with the hardware we have these days.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Koei Tecmo is one of my favorite video game companies. People always give me weird looks when I say that, but looking back I played and actually enjyoed a lot of games by them. They hit that AA (or mid-tier games, whatever you want to call them) almost perfectly.

That being said: A new Fatal Frame would be amazing!

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Never played one of their games but i might Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors or Attack on Titan 2 on Switch in the near future.

I need that grindy experience, as long as the loop gameplay is good.

ZaChzOOming

Oct 27, 2017
I have some love for KT.
Not much of a musou fan but played some of their other games. Nioh is pretty awesome, and love Fatal Frame back in the day.. But what I really miss is their Uncharted waters series.. What do I have to do to get them make a new one? Or at least make UW and UW2 available on current consoles??

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I would love a new Kessen. The presentation of those games was always great. It was also interesting to see Nobunaga portrayed in a positive light in Kessen 3.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot that AoT2 was so soon. Picking that up and excited to buy Hyrule Warriors for the third time.

Side note; Trinity: Souls of Zil O'll is incredible and I wish it would could get a re-release or sequel. Never happening but I can dream!

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a ATELIER , MANA Khemia, toukiden and nioh player.

Let's talk guys !

Ps: warriors orochi 3 is one of the best musou games guys

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
P i r a t e W a r r i o r s 3 M o t h e r F u c k e r

Gundam Warriors 3 is amazing too.

Orochi 3 has a kickin' OST

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I really enjoyed the first Attack on Titan. I'm looking forward to the sequel and will probably get the Switch version.

Did it ever! Not just the original stuff, but the remixes of old tracks are top notch:

On this subject, I was surprised to see that they chose Nemea instead of the hero of Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll as a guest character for OW3. And now, I see that Trinity was a KT game. It was a fun game, albeit a little bit repetitive on the long term. But I wasn't able to finish it (my PS3 had a YLOD).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
On this subject, I was surprised to see that they chose Nemea instead of the hero of Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll as a guest character for OW3. And now, I see that Trinity was a KT game. It was a fun game, albeit a little bit repetitive on the long term. But I wasn't able to finish it (my PS3 had a YLOD).
Warriors Orochi 3 definitely had some surprising roster choices. I still can't believe that they included Achilles from Warriors: Legends of Troy. And I never did finish Trinity either, but I really did enjoy what I played of it. It was interesting to see Omega Force's take on an action RPG (and systems that they would later revisit in Dragon Quest Heroes, of all places).

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has even mentioned G1 Jockey yet! Underrated series.

I love KT due to ROTK, DW and G1 Jockey but you have to say their port quality and pricing structure on PC ports is a disgrace.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I can be hype for Atelier in here? I mean, I'm a bit worried about it after Firis, but I remain hopeful.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I might post here since I've been playing quite a few Koei games recently that I went to post about (Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, DW Strikeforce, DW9 etc.)

As someone that recently completed Trinity Souls of Zill O'll, Nemea was a way better option to go with. Areus was just generic RPG magic-swordsman man, but in an ARPG. I guess he was also half-elf too or something.

The game was definitely very repetitive. I also feel like DQ Heroes 2 is just a way better version of that game (since they're both ARPG's with character parties and character switching) but I don't want to get into that now.