• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
As seen in the SteamERA thread:
BtqRRju.png

Koei Tecmo wants to be more agressive on Steam, also seems to consider Switch for the long term and make multiplayer games for it.

Credits to alr1ght and WSJ Takashi Mochizuki.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good. I'm already super excited the best Musou game in existence, Pirate Warriors 3, is coming to Switch.

Also: PC is the king for Musou games because you can load so many models on screen. It's amazing.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Steam's customers are quite receptive to Japanese games and they absolutely love Dark Souls. Nioh will be a big success on the platform, I would bet on it. Good sales will hopefully encourage Koei Tecmo to pay a lot more attention to the quality of its PC ports, strive for day-and-date releases with the console versions and resist the temptation to accept timed exclusivity deals.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Steam's customers are quite receptive to Japanese games and they absolutely love Dark Souls. Nioh will be a big success on the platform, I would bet on it. Good sales will hopefully encourage Koei Tecmo to pay a lot more attention to the quality of its PC ports, strive for day-and-date releases with the console versions and resist the temptation to accept timed exclusivity deals.

Oh shit, you're here :"")

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they now realize you can't simply dump your game on Steam, if you don't want your reputation to tank.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I always knew Nioh was getting a pc port.

To be honest, I didn't. I mean, a PC release for a Dark Souls-like game always seemed like a no brainer but I have difficulty understanding many decisions by Japanese publishers. I realize that they are pretty insular and set in their ways but even with that mind some of their decisions are just inexplicable.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I didn't. I mean, a PC release for a Dark Souls-like game always seemed like a no brainer but I have difficulty understanding many decisions by Japanese publishers. I realize that they are pretty insular and set in their ways but even with that mind some of their decisions are just inexplicable.

Koei Tecmo has been porting almost all their games to PC recently so this just seemed obvious. Even with sony marketing the game exclusively, the game did show up under the "console exclusive" branding.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing that their steam sales numbers isn't that impressive

http://steamspy.com/dev/KOEI+TECMO+GAMES+CO.

So I am glad that they are happy with the platform and plan to invest more in it even with those " not-so-impressive" numbers

For most of these games they only gave the bare minimum of effort so I think that porting costs were extremely low. They would be enjoying much higher sales if they actually took better care of their PC audience.

Arion good point.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, Alexandros has returned?! Awesome to see you again Dude! Dunno if you remember me, but we used to go round and round in the pc digital resale threads. Always in good fun, of course.

I wonder if Derrick and Tersius are floating around here somewhere...?

As for the thread: just bring me ninja Gaiden black KT and you'll have made a friend for life

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make a Switch Monster Rancher which uses the IR scanner and/or NFC.

Please and Thank You

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Derrick is the guy with adam jensen pic, yes he's here too.
Wow, this board is quickly becoming GAF all-stars lol

Any one seen Dennis? I can't imagine him not poking his head in around here eventually.

pa22word good to see you here, here's to many future spirited discussions :)

Indeed man! Such good times to come with both old and new friends the name "resetera" hits in all the right places :,)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For most of these games they only gave the bare minimum of effort so I think that porting costs were extremely low. They would be enjoying much higher sales if they actually took better care of their PC audience.

Arion good point.

Yea thats what I thought about too , If sub 100K is attractive to them then I guess the cost of their PC ports are too bare minimum

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yea that what I thought about too , If sub 100K is attractive to them then I guess the cost of their PC ports are too bare minimum

I think they will be surprised that maybe non regional prices in china for their latests games dont translate well to sales. Look at Atelier and Nights of Azure, used regional pricing and most owners are from China.

Their latest releases dont use it and Chinese dont buy it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Make better ports, and stop with the ridicules prices, I can pretty much find any ps4 version for 10-25€ less on amazon than it is on steam.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope if Atelier does well on Switch that we may see Atelier Sophie and Firis ported over to complete the trilogy. It's the only system getting the 3rd game to not have the first two IIRC.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
All Japanese publishers need to port their games to Steam. There's really no reason not to. PC gamers in international markets appreciate Japanese games and so for the Japanese publishers it's essentially free money. Sales on PC also don't really seem to cannibalize console sales either.

The more successful Japanese games are in the West, the more great Japanese games we'll get localized, so it's really win-win for everyone.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yea thats what I thought about too , If sub 100K is attractive to them then I guess the cost of their PC ports are too bare minimum

Even sub 10k is making them breaking even on a port. It cost them really few to release these ports because of their engine supporting multiplatform releases. And the entry cost on Steam is minimal. No stocks to handle, nothing. And that is at launch, they know all these titles will bring more revenue in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'd love to support Tecmo/Koei, but the huge majority of their PC ports aren't worthy of my time and money. Their regional pricing and meager discounts during sales doesn't help either.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd put all the old Rotk games on steam 11 is still the best one.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One catch, you have to make good PC versions, otherwise you'll see sales trail off.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Reasonable prices, good quality ports, and feature parity with the console versions (and by console I mean PS4, not Vita). Give us those and there's potential for KT to do well, but they've got to get over a lot of ill will they've built up over the last few years.

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a lucrative revenue for a lot of Japanese publishers to venture further with the platform. Capcom, Square, and Sega are getting lots of money coming in with direct revenue than going through retail means. It's a very effective system and anyone who ignores the digital space will be wasting away a lot of business potential. It's like shooting yourself in the foot with how the market it is today.