• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
R.I.P. Kim's chances at the base roster
tempsnip2.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kim is missing because SNK couldn't possibly handle the shame of fucking up his pants again.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Kim's loss is Chae Lim's gain... nah, doubt they'll ever put anyone from the MI series into a mainline KoF (would still take her over him yet again, though).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
put kim in a team with the korean twins from fatal fury that kicked my ass

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Maybe Kim will not be in the game because they ruined his pants animation on the last game u_u

Oct 29, 2017
Comparison of Ángel's moveset on the trailer with her moveset on XIV. Compared with other characters that had one or two new moves, she showed at least 4 new moves.

As for the whole thing about Nameless and K9999, I don't like K9999 not only because he's a ripoff, but because he has no personality whatsoever besides being a cocky asshole that thinks he's better than everyone. And he is a horrible dead-sweight for Ángel as a character since in 01 Ángel only characterization was to be K9999's cheerleader and arm candy. She lacked agency whatsoever just to prop up the ripoff as the "best character evar". Removing the guy out of the equation allowed SNK to actually give her a proper characterization and she meshed really well with Ramón and Dinosaur creating a very fun dynamic as part of Team México. A dynamic that was then hugely elaborated upon by the manga where Ángel got a redemption arc that ended up with her fully embracing the role of luchadora and heroine for the children. This is also why I'm extremely salty at SNK cramming Antonov on Team México and turning Ramón and Dinosaur into Antonov's hired muscle while also kicking off Ángel to the curb.

Ángel's trailer had her kicking Antonov's ass ten ways to Sunday and showing she is still close to Ramón and Dinosaur so it gives me hope that team México will come back in the future.

Coming back to Nameless, I like the guy more, his moveset looks a lot better and the thing with Isolde makes him a much more compelling character for me, the guy is also hugely popular in Korea if the way they made him win all popularity polls made in KOFAS, and him being the best unit on the game for a while are any indication.

Also, I doubt that SNK has changed its posture about K9999 over the years, they still refuse to acknowledge the guy, got files with him found on the code for KOF Destiny removed when they found about it, and finally, in a feature run by Famitsu to hype up XV's release, they showcased the key art for all the main KOFs. And he's missing in all but one art for both 01 and 02, and I have the suspicion that one picture was allowed because they missed the guy hanging on the background.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the discussion here got to a point where it's clear we need a separate thread to discuss the leaks or KOFXV's roster in general (unless there's one and I don't know about it).

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
As someone who has never really followed the KOF; why do the woman characters receive a pass for being so overtly sexualized in 2021/22? Is it just a fighting game thing?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
As someone who has never really followed the KOF; why do the woman characters receive a pass for being so overtly sexualized in 2021/22? Is it just a fighting game thing?

It's definitely a persistent thing across most Fighting games in general, though KOF has been aggressively fragrant with it. Like, I almost started to post how Guilty Gear was on the better end with improving their designs but I sat back and looked and even then there's things like how unbuttoned Giovanna's shirt is. It's like anime where the more you consume it the more you kind of get forced to be desensitized to it.

Though there's this weird dissonance where Fighting Games want to push to be taken more seriously as an eSport but it continues to cling to the ultra horny character designs.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Though there's this weird dissonance where Fighting Games want to push to be taken more seriously as an eSport but it continues to cling to the ultra horny character designs.

You say this like League, DOTA and Overwatch don't exist. Fighters have a problem fanservicing their female characters, but compared to other competitive titles it's hardly what I'd call excessive

Aug 26, 2018
日本
How it usually shakes out is you have two groups:

A: People who may not be too hot on it, but it's not a deal-breaker. Versus...
B: People who make it their life's work to ensure all female characters are the horniest fantasies imaginable.

Guess which one is likely to win out? lol

The only way maybe you get some leveling out is if there are higher financial incentives (like we're trying to get shown on ESPN/be taken more seriously in the general public or something). But even then, you can just have a parade of DLC fetish outfits for the whales to purchase and as long as it's not the default outfit, it's fine. And unless it actually becomes a deal-breaker for most people, or there becomes enough money incentive for an extra audience grab by changing it, the dynamic isn't going to shift.

Comparison of Ángel's moveset on the trailer with her moveset on XIV. Compared with other characters that had one or two new moves, she showed at least 4 new moves.

Lets talk about mechanics...

It seems the mad programmers at SNK finally gave her a real evade and not just a glorified reset but the most interesting thing is that She seems to be able to cancel it from the UC starter or she can cancel frame 1 as in OG 2002, I don't know what scares me more...

This is just New KOF fans that hate him.
Want to se my '94 credcard?

We were Tetsuo haters since 1988, and we were right !
But not this one I'm an Akira stan forever.

Isolde makes him a much more compelling character
THANK YOU

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Angels design is pretty much same as since 2001. Nothing new actually. Yeah could be changed up, but the general theme of the designs in XV are just face-lifted from last gen instead of anything radical. So if anything, she is accurate to her prior XIV rendition and prior.

Here she is in 2001. Basically unchanged besides the bootd and tassels.

2211103054_84950ef17c_b.jpg

Heres 2002
latest

And here's kof XIV
latest

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Lets talk about mechanics...

It seems the mad programmers at SNK finally gave her a real evade and not just a glorified reset but the most interesting thing is that She seems to be able to cancel it from the UC starter or she can cancel frame 1 as in OG 2002, I don't know what scares me more...

She already had the three feints (forward, backwards, neutral) in XIV and those worked just like in the trailer. Those were used mostly to refresh the unchain commands because is more practical.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is anyone ok with no Kim? Y'all wilding. SMH

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You say this like League, DOTA and Overwatch don't exist. Fighters have a problem fanservicing their female characters, but compared to other competitive titles it's hardly what I'd call excessive
It's 100% what I'd call excessive and regularly far worse than pretty much any other genre besides horny gacha games.
Angels design is pretty much same as since 2001. Nothing new actually. Yeah could be changed up, but the general theme of the designs in XV are just face-lifted from last gen instead of anything radical. So if anything, she is accurate to her prior XIV rendition and prior.

Heres 2002
latest

And here's kof XIV
latest
Shamelessly pandering as all the above are, the new one manages to be even worse in terms of sexualization, especially at a time when many other game directors and designers are finally growing some self awareness and dialing it back. "It's been like that since 2001" doesn't cut it anymore.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
It's 100% what I'd call excessive and regularly far worse than pretty much any other genre besides horny gacha games.

Shamelessly pandering as all the above are, the new one manages to be even worse in terms of sexualization, especially at a time when many other game directors and designers are finally growing some self awareness and dialing it back. "It's been like that since 2001" doesn't cut it anymore.
I get that but look at the state of kofxv and what snks been doing. Like the girl fighter. SNK seems to give no fucks.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

Heres 2002
latest

And here's kof XIV
latest
That's kind of my point though. We can have woman characters in 2021 that aren't a holdover from how things were designed in 2001-a much different time for woman in the industry and also the world at large circa 2001.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no, new fans don't even know there is a Tetsuo rip off in KoF history. In my region people always ridiculed him from the start, so there is no consensus on the subject.

We were Tetsuo haters since 1988, and we were right !
Tetsuo is a cool character design though. Body horror is dope

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i would ok with no kim if there was a lot of new characters
but in a game that plays safe and has basically only old chars with just some recent ones?
NO

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
You know if SNK redesigned Angel's outfit it would be the same but different. Shermie got a redesign and that shit was just the same outfit but hornier. If they actually redesign Angel's look SNK would just go, " look its the same outfit but the bare skin and clothes are inverted, compromise! a new look and more clothes technically" or something to that effect.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Oh well, we are still going with this stupid and ridiculous designs

Maybe some day the industry will learn

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
K9999 >>>>>> nameless. If he can't be Tetsuo just delete his ass.

I want back the Haoh Shokoken having a chance of knocking down the opponent on block. It doesn't feel as menacing as before now ah ah ah.
Yup now the only scary one is serious Mr. Karate triple one with guard brake.
She already had the three feints (forward, backwards, neutral) in XIV and those worked just like in the trailer. Those were used mostly to refresh the unchain commands because is more practical.
Not with that range, neutral feint is punishable and back disengaged you completely.