• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
ZlJ7XxfhOzEMnTOD_362x400.jpeg

Suigiyama has passed away at the age of 90.

https://www.dragonquest.jp/news/detail/3546/

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talented guy that also happened to be a vile piece of shit.

Still, RIP

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Shitty person who stood for a lot of bad things, but still contributed some wonderful music to the world. Not sad to see him go, but yeah.

Apr 25, 2020
Sadly he has made a rod for his own back that all he will be remembered for is his xenophobic treatment of foreigners when it comes to his music for the games and his denial of Japanese war crimes. Truly the clearest example of toxic Japanese nationalism.

RIP

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Rest In Peace, hope his loved ones are okay.

I'll hold my tongue on my other feelings regarding this, don't know what era's policy is lol

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Changing my post. I hope someone with better morals takes over the music.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I understand that Sugiyama's early works were iconic, but he was a Grade-A piece of shit. My condolences go out to his loved ones, but I'm cool with us celebrating this (even more so when I think about the damage he's caused). He was a legit monster & the world is honestly better off without him.

Last edited:

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I seem to be an anomaly in thinking that he's made some really great music in his tenure. He is certainly a problematic figure, but I think his music will live on through many. RIP.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Finally.

A man who celebrates the suicide of vulnerable people and denies war crimes still being so heavily involved with the series made it very difficult to not feel some guilt in purchasing Dragon Quest.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Echoing sentiments of others here, not going to celebrate his death although I understand if others would I really like his work. RIP

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like XII will now be an even bigger shift for the series than expected, music included.

Whoever replaces him has really big shoes to fill.

Also, fuck homophobes/war-crimes apologists.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/comp...e54279ade83f074f26cde083f671d8741c2a6c15.html

Square Enix Mourns Loss of Composer Koichi Sugiyama

Koichi Sugiyama, composer for many SQUARE ENIX games and widely known for the music of the DRAGON QUEST series, passed away on September 30th 2021. We commemorate his lifetime's work and mourn his passing.

Comment from Yosuke Matsuda, President and CEO, SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer my deepest sympathy to Koichi Sugiyama's friends and loved ones. Words cannot express the scale of the contribution made by Koichi Sugiyama from the birth of the DRAGON QUEST series until now. I remember seeing him conduct the orchestra in a DRAGON QUEST concert as if it were yesterday.

I thank and honor him for his long years of service and the many wonderful pieces of music he has written for our games, and offer my heartfelt prayers for the repose of his soul.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, rot in pieces you horrible fucker. Hopefully the music rights will pass to someone who's not a huge piece of shit.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
He had some draconian views, but did make some iconic music.

I always thought it was crazy that they hired him because he filled out one of those customer service comment cards in one of Enix's old games and mailed it in.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Great thing for future Dragon Quest titles and for humanity. He made some of the most iconic video game music but did nothing great for the series in a while.

Oct 27, 2017
For as much as I love Dragon Quest, I feel that the quality of his music comes nowhere near close to compensating all the evil he did as a person throughout his life. He actively contributed to making the world a worse place.

I have no problem with continuing to play DQ with the music turned off until Square Enix hires someone who is not an absolute piece of shit.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Legendary music -- practically the national anthem of Japanese pop culture. But it's obviously sad he devoted so much of his life to hating and hurting others. He was on the wrong side of history.

I imagine he willed his estate to continue supporting his loathsome causes, too. I'll still enjoy his works, but I hope they're able to untangle it from profiting anything nefarious.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For as much as I love Dragon Quest, I feel that the quality of his music comes nowhere near close to compensating all the evil he did as a person throughout his life. He actively contributed to making the world a worse place.

I have no problem with continuing to play DQ with the music turned off until Square Enix hires someone who is not an absolute piece of shit.

Yeah. Hopefully he didn't leave all of his money to one (or more) of the horrible organizations he supported.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
While he was truly revolutionary for embracing video games the way he did, he was an absolutely feculent human being and lived far longer than he deserved to.

And I fully expect whoever replaces him on future DQ projects will quickly surpass him. As memorable as some of his music is, he's been recycling the same dozen tracks for decades now.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Thank god, now i don't have to feel guilty everytime i buy DQ for fear of my money contributing to ultranationalist agenda in Japan