• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't Death Stranding have action anyway despite the tonne of games now we have which has none?

Haven't played it but its action sections didn't look brilliant and I wonder if it would have taken more balls to have none at all.

Plum

May 31, 2018
"Only the Europeans can appreciate Strand-Kino," says creator of game where the leader of an organisation called Bridges that builds bridges and creates strands is called Bridget Strand.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Personally glad to see the end of think-pieces during the glory days of Call of Duty that were all 'actually, these games are intelligent, let me show you'.

I don't dislike COD, but there was a cottage industry for that stuff. People tripping over themselves to simply justify they liked them for what they were.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'd write a longer post, but I'm still waiting for my eyes to roll back to their forward position.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cue in the people who overreact about the "fly higher" when Kojima has always had a hard time communicating his words in English.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He makes it harder to appreciate his (remarkable) game. A lot of the criticism I've seen is from Europe. I don't think it's a nationality thing.

But I think the game is remarkable. And quite smart, too. Not always cleverly written. But it has big ideas and explores them in an interesting, unexpected way.

But who knows. I've been told Heaven's Gate is one of the worst movies ever, but it's one of my favorites

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hmm, I think I see where hes going with this.
Maybe its the fact that Americans have the right to buy and use guns in their country, their fulfillment/entertainment would make them enjoy shooters genres. Whereas us europeans dont see it the same way. Still...interesting perspective of the stereotype.

Maybe im grasping at straws. :P

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't agree more. Death Stranding is a little too dense and cerebral for the "me want shooty bang boom" crowd.
Journey got good scores. Gone Home, Firewatch, Disco Elysium, Obra Dinn, The Witness, all good scores. I could go on forever.

"Cerebral" my ass, maybe it's just boring to some people and Kojima's pathetic attempts at trying to deflect from criticism are only matched by his followers eating excuses like this up.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I agree with him here. You need an IQ of at least 195 to even take a glimpse of Death Stranding's majesty.
Americans with their pitiful education system and low emotional capacity had no chance

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well the outlets in the U.K. that I follow weren't too hot on it either.

Dunno what he's talking about.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I find this particularly funny, because Death Stranding works for me because it feels extremely simple in a very satisfying way. It's dense with tons of systems, but the core gameplay is as basic as they come - point A to point B, and on to point C.

Combine that with the laughably inane & self-aggrandizing story - and it's just a good time.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Had flashbacks to that Entourage episode where Director Billy is freaking out toward the audience at the film festival when people boo at Medellin

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Journey got good scores. Gone Home, Firewatch, Disco Elysium, Obra Dinn, The Witness, all good scores. I could go on forever.

"Cerebral" my ass, maybe it's just boring to some people and Kojima's pathetic attempts at trying to deflect from criticism are only matched by his followers eating excuses like this up.
Yeah, but hold on. *starts tearing through Defense notes*

Plum

May 31, 2018
The scores were pretty low in Australia compared to all the rest around the mid 80s
Not to mention Death Stranding's 6.8 IGN review came from a member of their Australian team.

I guess Aussies just don't want to play a game where you have to constantly traverse a vast wasteland where everything is out to kill you.

Too close to real life for them.

The upside-down rainbows don't help either

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I really like DS but this neither a true statement, nor is it a good way of dealing with fair criticism in general.
I generally want to like Kojima, but he doesn't make it easy right now.

His games are special, but he is definetly not the visionary genius artist he paints himself as.
If he really makes a movie someday, I hope he is ready for the film critics.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that Kojima isn't going to say that his game is bad but erm...saying that the US gamer aren't sophisticated as European gamer because they only like shooters is not a smart thing to say.

And besides doesn't Death Stranding has shooting game play in it?

"Only the Europeans can appreciate Strand-Kino," says creator of game where the leader of an organisation that builds bridges is called Bridget.

Ha ha funny, because as a European the game just does not look interesting and Kojima clearly hyped up his game for a delivery simulator.

Death Standing from what I have observed from the reviews is just breath of the wild but what if Link was an amazon courier. 🤣

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair you need to have a very high IQ to understand Hideo Kojima
1KfkFLzP.png

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
gone home doesn't have any action and got wildly good scores. there are all kinds of non-shooters that are beloved.

game is boring, some people didn't like it. Stop avoiding criticism.
Yeah there have been plenty of non-shooter games that have been critically lauded in the US. I enjoy Death Stranding, but trying to hand waive criticisms of it away as "it's not a shooter" is just lazy.

I haven't played Death Stranding, but these weren't mass marketed as AAA games. People's expectations factor in reception.

May 18, 2018
He' s wrong about why but there is something to this. US seem to hate him in particular and seemed like they had their minds mad up from the start. Not really sure how you can call this game boring but love Gone Home or something similar.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
death stranding is a game where hell sprung a leak and now there are spooky antimatter ghosts that eat people around so mailmen with ghost powers have to carry stuff between bunkers called knots, you play a magic ghost power mailman named Uncle Sam Mailman Connections who was asked by president connection connection to reset the country's router (the router uses ghost wifi) by delivering pizza and drugs and throwing piss at ghosts because your piss is magical and if a ghost eats you your ghost can just swim back to your body like a looney tunes character

e: there are also various evil mailmen, including ones who want facebook likes by picking up packages. the cell phone is shaped like a handcuff