• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He got to make a huge AAA exclusive on one of best consoles of all time, got to hang with Hollywood actors and made a well received game. Why get upset about it.

It's a high budget game with an appropriate development time and no unexpected technical issues. At that point, an 80s is pretty much guaranteed, so the game ending up on the low 80s makes it seem like Kojima's direction is nothing special.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The corrected quote still doesn't really make sense given the criticisms some reviewers had about the game, it's clear that at the time of the interview he wasn't actually familiar with what their concerns were.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Speaking of first person shooters, the game really doesn't feel very good when you need to use 1st/3rd person shooter mechanics.

Like, it feels really bad and quite inferior to most modern games that offer a 3rd person shooter experience as part of the game. Merely a passing grade.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
It feels basically like horizon to me personally when it comes to shooting stuff

But yeah, imo if ppl are uptight that it seems like kojima thinks about the west a particular way, im pretty sure he does.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It feels basically like horizon to me personally when it comes to shooting stuff
I haven't played Horizon, but I'm gong to assume this isn't a compliment. lol. And it shouldn't be, because shooting is very clunky here. I think it's the thumb stick acceleration or something. Just feels too sensitive to me. Lots of over-correction, and I'm very good at shooters.

I really look forward to seeing it on PC; I think the shooting will be a much better experience there.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Speaking of first person shooters, the game really doesn't feel very good when you need to use 1st/3rd person shooter mechanics.

Like, it feels really bad and quite inferior to most modern games that offer a 3rd person shooter experience as part of the game. Merely a passing grade.
It's a total blast from the last, back to 2005. It feels so rubbish

DS is great but like the Alex says at Giantbomb say I wish it had more confidence in the delivery systems

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So you're not playing it.

It's not MGSV but it's definitely on par with anything before that. MGSV was a particularly special game in that it had its own proprietary engine made with its mechanics of need in focus, and it also perfected the game-ideas as established by all previous games in the series. Death Stranding is a new concept and a new pitch and despite using Horizon Zero Dawn's engine most of the things you do is uniquely implemented and they managed to create numerous types of mechanics, even one-off segments in the game that feel different from anything else you see in the majority of the game, right down to unique assets and enemy types being used. You could call them set-pieces too.

Really, I see no slowing down of Kojima but yeah, obviously this was a setback. I just see that in spite of that it's almost unbelievable how far ahead he already is again, doing unprecedented things and iterating on technology his team didn't make, in ways even Guerilla Games didn't expect.

As I said, never played any of his games and I don't have a PS4 and I don't game on PC outside of MMOs. That and what I have seen, the gameplay loop of Death Stranding doesn't interest me. I am not into games that makes me feel like I'm doing work. So hearing 'it's like Breath of the Wild if it was boring on purpose' as a compliment, is a sign that the game is most likely not for me.

So I only have what I've heard about the gameplay of Death Stranding and the most constant feedback I've heard is that the combat gameplay is that it's serviceable and the gameplay loops is not for everyone. And I wouldn't call Death Stranding a new concept in that the idea of the game is similar to trunk sim games. And before someone say it, I actually have no problem with slow games since I enjoyed playing Stardew Valley which is about running a farm on a somewhat unforgiving in-game clock. Or Monster Hunter which is a game based on learning the game systems or watched your character get their ass kicked.

But regardless of my personally feelings or even yours, Death Stranding didn't get the acclaimed that Kojima was looking for, otherwise he wouldn't be acting so salty about Metacritic score. It reeks of a certain level of entitlement.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Kojima may have thought that....

people would not get to the later half of the game. It basically turns into a shooter and stealth game for several hours like MGS.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I haven't played Horizon, but I'm gong to assume this isn't a compliment. lol. And it shouldn't be, because shooting is very clunky here. I think it's the thumb stick acceleration or something. Just feels too sensitive to me. Lots of over-correction, and I'm very good at shooters.

I really look forward to seeing it on PC; I think the shooting will be a much better experience there.
Horizon is VERY good as far as its combat goes. Honestly, the bow combat and story are the best things about the game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
im not saying that I know the true translation or anything, but even w/ the above translation I am fairly certain that kojima has prtty specific thoughts about guns and the west and that the setting of the game isn't coincidental?

yes it is tied to the actual story, and no the game is not badly paced unless you count a dumb swimming section
if you're talking about death stranding (im talking about mgs2 in the above), i dunno I havent finished it, but I'm up to chapter 3 and the game is paced fine.

Not seeing how it with Metal Gear gameplay being tangle with the story, but I will just take your word for it. But I have played games that had great gameplay and a story that didn't just stall everything to info dumped for several minutes with information that they could have scattered through the game. I prefer storytelling like the Prime games, Bioshock, or even Dark Souls where the environment and/or logs you find through gameplay tell a story or fill in missing pieces.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing how it with Metal Gear gameplay being tangle with the story, but I will just take your word for it. But I have played games that had great gameplay and a story that didn't just stall everything to info dumped for several minutes with information that they could have scattered through the game. I prefer storytelling like the Prime games, Bioshock, or even Dark Souls where the environment and/or logs you find through gameplay tell a story or fill in missing pieces.

I understand, i want to let u know tho that his games are chock full of the thing u admire in the games you referred to, and that his storytelling doesnt tend to stall the game for info-dumping. Mgs4 has a lot of that but the game is largely fanservice, i can agree w/ that kind of gripe for that game

closer

Oct 25, 2017
For me, both are like "serviceable" but that kind of sounds assholish to say, it doesnt really deter my enjoyment of the game meaningfully. I havent had a situation where i had to wrangle the controls, but at the same time i feel like messily fumbling around is kind of in tone with the game lol

Ive only used the
bola gun and grenades
so far tho so maybe theres something down the line that feels ridiculously weird, iunno lol

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh who are you trying to fool

I dont mean that there arent copious cutscenes where things are told at you, like i probably wasnt clear enough. But i dont consider it stalling, i think the scenes do things besides infodump, etc. But yeah, i mean it was kind of a ridiculous sentence, there is definitely plenty of info-dumping and it makes perfrct sense why ppl would receive it that way tho i dont

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
As I said, never played any of his games and I don't have a PS4 and I don't game on PC outside of MMOs. That and what I have seen, the gameplay loop of Death Stranding doesn't interest me. I am not into games that makes me feel like I'm doing work. So hearing 'it's like Breath of the Wild if it was boring on purpose' as a compliment, is a sign that the game is most likely not for me.
I think DS "is not a game for you" is more a case of whether you even want to give it a chance or not. All you'll end up with if you don't like it is more time wasted on a video game, so what's there to lose.

I think it's easy to understand all the "Kojima is pretentious" drivel when so many comment audiaciously on his content without really playing it. Ftr, I bought MGS3 on 3DS and had no idea who he was or what MGS was beyond that I know Kojima was sort of a running joke of the gaming conversation. I spent the whole game being like "Jesus this makes NO sense, god this is stupid", and then it clicked for me at some point. It was as if underneath my outgoing attitude of "this lowkey sucks lol!" I saw that the game was intelligently designed and written and after seeing most of it I realized it was actually a well told story and it was actually a very good video game.

And DS is the same thing. I think because it's new concepts and outlandish ideas people are just too quick to brush it off as "drivel" and "artistic nonsense", but in reality it's just a pretty goofy sci-fi plot with a fun mailman gameplay, and I'll only partly blame Kojima/Sony for marketing it like it's some incomprehensible work of art - it doesn't need to be.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand, i want to let u know tho that his games are chock full of the thing u admire in the games you referred to, and that his storytelling doesnt tend to stall the game for info-dumping. Mgs4 has a lot of that but the game is largely fanservice, i can agree w/ that kind of gripe for that game
Holy shit what game are you playing? The cut scenes in this game are like 95% info dumps.

That also doesn't change the sentiment of his argument either.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think DS "is not a game for you" is more a case of whether you even want to give it a chance or not. All you'll end up with if you don't like it is more time wasted on a video game, so what's there to lose.

I think it's easy to understand all the "Kojima is pretentious" drivel when so many comment audiaciously on his content without really playing it. Ftr, I bought MGS3 on 3DS and had no idea who he was or what MGS was beyond that I know Kojima was sort of a running joke of the gaming conversation. I spent the whole game being like "Jesus this makes NO sense, god this is stupid", and then it clicked for me at some point. It was as if underneath my outgoing attitude of "this lowkey sucks lol!" I saw that the game was intelligently designed and written and after seeing most of it I realized it was actually a well told story and it was actually a very good video game.

And DS is the same thing. I think because it's new concepts and outlandish ideas people are just too quick to brush it off as "drivel" and "artistic nonsense", but in reality it's just a pretty goofy sci-fi plot with a fun mailman gameplay, and I'll only partly blame Kojima/Sony for marketing it like it's some incomprehensible work of art - it doesn't need to be.

Why would I take a chance on a game I may not like which would cost me the price of not only the game, but also the game console, which would most likely cost me $200 if I buy it on a Black Friday sell? It isn't like I just have money to burn. And even if I want to play on a computer, I have to tae special measure since I have a Mac and most Stream games are Windows only.

And again, DS isn't really new since games that sims boring everyday isn't something new. And it does come off as you saying that those who played it and didn't like didn't 'get' the game.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I take a chance on a game I may not like which would cost me the price of not only the game, but also the game console, which would most likely cost me $200 if I buy it on a Black Friday sell? It isn't like I just have money to burn. And even if I want to play on a computer, I have to tae special measure since I have a Mac and most Stream games are Windows only.

And again, DS isn't really new since games that sims boring everyday isn't something new. And it does come off as you saying that those who played it and didn't like didn't 'get' the game.

you probably shouldn't play it

Holy shit what game are you playing? The cut scenes in this game are like 95% info dumps.

I tried to clarify above, but yeh it was a wack sentence

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The quote was wrong? No way, this never happens with Kojima. His quotes are always accurately translated, surely people aren't jumping to conclusions...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The quote was wrong? No way, this never happens with Kojima. His quotes are always accurately translated, surely people aren't jumping to conclusions...
It wasn't. The other translations just say essentially the same thing with different phrasing.

Time to stop blaming mistranslations for every dumb thing Kojima says. Plenty of Japanese devs say plenty of thing without putting their foot in their mouth, somehow.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't. The other translations just say essentially the same thing with different phrasing.

Time to stop blaming mistranslations for every dumb thing Kojima says. Plenty of Japanese devs say plenty of thing without putting their foot in their mouth, somehow.
but its Kojimaaaa.
he is our lord and savior. He can do us no wrong!

/s I actually completely agree with you.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
No, the newer translation conveys something different. Not everything different, but something. He's still blaming u.s. reviewers for not getting the game, but he's not saying that his game 'flys higher' than shooters and all that such implies.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
A Hideo Kojima Thread presents:

T33poBL.png
Isn't that fuckin' toast? Where on Earth does a cracker that big and thick exist?

Cytezan

Oct 29, 2017
It's a good line to escape criticism... "Oh; you don't like it? Clearly you just don't get it".

For what it's worth, I say this as a passing observer... I've enjoyed Kojima games in the past and have had my eye on this. Will probably get the PC release, but the whole attitude that you need to be so intelligent to understand the game is really rubbing me the wrong way.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Everything is so beat into your brain that there's no way you can miss what it is saying unless you had brain damage.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
And this topic has gone about as well as I expected.

You can like Death Stranding. You can hate Death Stranding. You can even think Death Stranding is okay. All are viable, valid opinions, and none should be mocked.

This is just giving me flashbacks to 2004 and being a Nintendo fan in my 20s, which was something you just weren't open about back then.

The bolded is true, but I genuinely think Kojima is mockable (is that even a word? Hahaha) enough for saying stuff like this.

He really thinks too highly of himself.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a notch below MGSV for me (I'm only in Episode 3 so far, however), but in terms of the sheer kinaesthetic satisfaction of moving around and making your way through the environment, it's still got it. I'm not even the biggest fan of Kojima's storytelling, but the dude knows how to make a game that feels good to play.

Comparing the game to a throwaway campaign in your average shooter/action game and yeah, it does feel better. I can only think of a few this gen that are at the same level.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Shooter gameplay seem kind of more brain dead to me than the things you have to do to avoid a fight. For challenge shooters usually increase or decrease the HP and damage of the enemy. The AI in Death Stranding looks as simple as a lot of shooters, but adding in the nature element and keeping your loot safe adds a lot more gameplay variability to it I think.

I think For Honor's story mode has better gameplay than a lot of shooting games. In that game you have to block, parry, defend against multiple enemies, and the motion matching helps you identify what the opponent is going to attack from since the animation is clear and smooth (playing hudless is a good way to learn and it's very challenging).

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7hs of playtime. Just arrove in Capital Knot City after being at some Wind farm.

When is this game supposed to start being good? When is it supposed to start being a 10/10 material?

Apparantly 10 hours in. Of course if you still aren't liking it by then people will tell you that the ending is the best and you have to finish it to appreciate it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
7hs of playtime. Just arrove in Capital Knot City after being at some Wind farm.

When is this game supposed to start being good? When is it supposed to start being a 10/10 material?
It's so crazy to me that "it opens up after (x) hours" is a non-ironic, trendy praise given to games these days. I forget what MMO it was, but I recall people saying that it really opens up once you hit the post-game content (40ish hours). I think if you're 7 hours in (a massive time investment in my opinion), I don't see any reason to not rip the eject cord.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's so crazy to me that "it opens up after (x) hours" is a non-ironic, trendy praise given to games these days. I forget what MMO it was, but I recall people saying that it really opens up once you hit the post-game content (40ish hours). I think if you're 7 hours in (a massive time investment in my opinion), I don't see any reason to not rip the eject cord.

I imagine if you invest that much energy and time in something, a psychological thing happens where you have to justify it to yourself. Like the gamer equivalent of Stockholm syndrome or loss aversion.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine if you invest that much energy and time in something, a psychological thing happens where you have to justify it to yourself. Like the gamer equivalent of Stockholm syndrome or loss aversion.
I spent a lot longer trying to get to the real Diablo 3 PC at launch, then doing it again because the class I picked was horrible for Inferno, and the second, third, fourth, etc. Inferno wasn't ready, the loot was garbage, and the real Diablo 3 was camping the Auction House. Diablo 2 was the real Diablo I should have started with.

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima's remarks are rather misguided in this case (as YawZah has documented in detail, here), but Sony's Jim Ryan made some interesting remarks back in 2016 that may be worth considering, in this context:
Did you have a highlight?
Jim Ryan: God of War.

I just saw it behind closed doors and thought it was really good. Interesting to see a game like that broadening out and focusing on an intimate story.
Jim Ryan: Yeah and it's a franchise which, historically, we've under-performed on in Europe compared to North America. It is a very violent franchise. Typically games with a high level of violence without much else tend to perform better in North America than everywhere else. So seeing that interesting storyline and the clear emotional bond between father and son gives me real hope that we can take this and do better with it than we have in the past.

When you say violent games perform better in North America, is there a flipside to that? Do you find games that perform better in other parts of the world.
Jim Ryan: Games that have a greater social component. For example PS2 franchises Singstar and Buzz and PlayStation Move games on PS3. They tended to do better in Europe. And games that appeal to family participation, they tend to do better too.

That's interesting. Now, Hideo Kojima. Him being let off the leash sounds equal parts exciting and terrifying…
Jim Ryan: Haha, that's your expression, not mine!

…are you letting him do his thing with Death Stranding?
Jim Ryan: I think within reason, yes, you have to with somebody like that. If you attempt to constrain him, that is not a recipe for success. He's a really good guy, he did a tour of all our studios and I did one with him in London. He's really energised. This is a new challenge and a big reset for him.

It must be after being on Metal Gear for so long.
Jim Ryan: Yeah, obviously it didn't end well...
Not really the same thing, since Jim Ryan is talking about consumer preference, not reviewer bias.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned YawZah's detailed post. The U.S. scores were not significantly different.

It's possible that in saying "stronger criticisms" Kojima has in mind one or more particularly influential and/or particularly vocal (about their dislike of Death Stranding) critics who actually did not end up issuing a score, like Dan Ryckert, whose opinion was frequently quoted approvingly as an authoritative (if not definitive) judgment on the game. By "influential" I mean for example that around here, seemed to me like Dan's opinion was cited at least as often as any other individual/reviewer's opinion, all the way up to release, if I were to hazard a guess (though it was Alex Navarro who eventually wrote and published GB's formal written review, on Nov 6th).

But to your point, reviewers are a distinct subset of consumers, but not an entirely separate group, and Kojima is indeed talking about consumer/reviewer preferences in a way that is not dissimilar from Jim Ryan.

But on the other hand, it's also true that the English phrase "difficult to understand" makes it seem like it's a comprehension problem rather than difference in preference, and the apparent claims (not repeated in the IGN clarification) about difference in "artistic sensibility" and ability to appreciate originality are rather more dubious.

Google translation (of the Italian) of the interview:
About the West, the first reviews are positive. Are you satisfied with the reception of Death Stranding by critics?

I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. In America there are many first-person shooter fans (fps) and many of them claim that Death Stranding is a different game, which may be why they didn't put very high marks.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different sensitivity that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original products, they are not in video games but also in the cinema.

[You] left a large Japanese company to found an independent studio with which [you] created Death Stranding. Is it more freedom or are the responsibilities greater? What do you think of the new consoles and the possibilities they offer?

Something has changed lately, even in video games. The biggest challenge for me in having a studio of mine was to have to take care of my employees too: what I create directly affects their lives, I have the responsibility of different people and this has changed my way of thinking and evaluating things and time at my disposal. I will continue to create great games, but in the next five years streaming will always have more importance and there will also be space for smaller projects that are part of the visual arts and the digital world, perhaps in other forms.

I am certainly interested in this type of activity and have received many offers of this kind, but above all I want to concentrate on continuing to create games that have something different. For me it is important to always invent something new, original. I believe this is my contribution and my place in the world.
Incidentally, I guess there is audio of Kojima answering in Japanese, though I don't think that audio has been released: "Sony got in touch with us after checking the original interview audio and clarified that..."

Last edited: