• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, his "new genre" talk and certian people immediately trying to make it a thing was the saddest and most hilarious part of this. As soon this dude says something some people take it as absolute gospel, not only in the sense of believing him, but spreading the message, too. Like a self fulfilling prophecy.
I loled when he admitted his new genre talk was bullshit.
Just wondering, have you played the game?

I've seen tons of harsh words from you regarding this game, that just read as really wrong to me.

I was worried about it too, but playing it I'm realized how different and well thought out it really is.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a Kojima game and I might make DS my first one. But like it's clear that the game is just making him feel really insecure. It's a super risky game, and he just wants it to be successful despite criticism. I feel like his stress levels might just be clouding his judgment a little bit for now. It's basically him acting out and wanting to tell players to give the game a chance.

Play the MGS games, at least. If you aren't a fan of stealth games you can just fine play them on easy as shooters just to enjoy the spectacle and the insane story.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Death Stranding. I'm enjoying it a lot actually.

That said, I hate Kojima's attitude. The man is so full of himself that reading stuff like this, make me dislike the fact that I'm enjoying his game.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is just the "Anyone who didn't like my game didn't understand it" gambit which has never ever gone well for any developer.

It's especially hilarious coming from Kojima, who is just the David Cage of Japan.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
After playing a while, I'm thinking a lot of the criticism comes from a place of insecurity. The game asks you to embrace absurdity and invokes some scifi literature traditions of naming things in future societies weird (in fact I think that's where Kojima has taken the idea from). It's not an easy thing to do if your cultural intake has been one-sided.

lmao this should be the new Rick & Morty copypasta

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Why is everyone getting offended that he said Americans like FPS games, when Americans do in fact like FPS games? Is it because someone non-American said it?

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool he got to make an experimental game with a big budget, but if he wanted higher scores he knows the template. Can't make people agree with your vision.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
even generic shooters look more interesting than DS, and I said this as someone avoiding shooter like plague.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Or...maybe... people don't like the idea of delivering packages for 45 hours?

Nationalist trash or buyers justification trash - trash either way.

dont support this kind of trash.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why is everyone getting offended that he said Americans like FPS games, when Americans do in fact like FPS games? Is it because someone non-American said it?

Nah it's saying "Americans are too infatuated with shooty bang bangs to realise my game's intelligence," that people are getting offended by. Though in this case it's more "the specific American reviewers who didn't like the game are too infatuated with shooty bang bangs to realise my game's intelligence." "Americans" aren't really a factor here because "Americans," didn't review the game, individuals did.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
He' s wrong about why but there is something to this. US seem to hate him in particular and seemed like they had their minds mad up from the start. Not really sure how you can call this game boring but love Gone Home or something similar.

If you don't grasp the differences between Death Stranding and something like Gone Home, you either haven't played them both, or are the last person anyone should care about discussing videogames with, re: design/intent/results. And for the record, this isn't coming from someone who's totally down on DS.

Oct 27, 2017

No one's offended he said Americans like FPS games. Gamers all over the world like FPS games, with Japan being a bit of an outlier (even though there are FPS fans there too).

What people are reacting to is Kojima acting like Americans are too stupid to understand his postal delivery simulator.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

The implication is that Americans don't like anything BUT shooters?

So yeah, if you like Mario Kart, then you're probably not American.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is one of those very rare threads where you actually cannot discern the insane from the satire posts.

Kojima is a hack but that's nothing new.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Death Stranding. I'm enjoying it a lot actually.

That said, I hate Kojima's attitude. The man is so full of himself that reading stuff like this, make me dislike the fact that I'm enjoying his game.

For someone who seems so insistent on making his games ALL ABOUT HIM, Kojima really seems to have surprisingly thin skin. It's a weird paradox.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Well, Japan nationalism is so prevalent in that country's reviews and purchasing preferences. It holds back the medium. The biggest selling games in Japan, like pokemon, lack innovation and are rife with design mistakes.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.

This has to become a new meme lol

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting to see this thread pop up. Honestly, I didn't consider it would be one day after the game released. 😄

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If i had to guess it was probobaly the IGN review that got to him.

MGS 9.8/10
MGS2 9.7/10
MGS3 9.8/10
MGS4 10/10
MGS PW 9.5/10
MGSV 10/10
DS 6.8/10

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, they were primarily stealth games which is the most niche genre there is.
Based on what I've seen, they're also, in large part, very narrative and cinematic driven as well, which are elements in many of the biggest single player games out there the past few generations. Not exactly what I'd call niche

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Love Kojima, but the writing in that game is like something from a bad sci-fi/anime movie. Dude thinks his work is somehow the high cinema version of video games.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Kojima game until Death Stranding and I'm loving it. I can somewhat understand what he means, someone who just wants to play a couple hours of a guided action game isn't going to like this game. I don't think I'd say that the reason Death Stranding is getting some really low reviews is because the US thinks shooters are better, but I don't think it can be denied that the US loves its FPS games, they kinda go hand-in-hand with those kinds of players.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Crossfire was the highest grossing game in China for some consecutive years, and it was not even close to the 2nd place.

Just wondering, have you played the game?

I've seen tons of harsh words from you regarding this game, that just read as really wrong to me.

I was worried about it too, but playing it I'm realized how different and well thought out it really is.
Yeah, tbf the game is different, even compared to your regular walking simulators. You wouldn't find weight & space management as well as balancing while traversing in other walking sims, not to mention the social system it's so well done. Even at its core it's just a fetch quest galore, Death Stranding is certainly different than other games I've played before.