• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a big release from a big creator - it's going to get the typical shitty gamer treatment. I just think Kojima needs to be aware that he made a game that not everyone was a fan of. It's a unique and gorgeous game with a good vision - but it's not like it got some bad reviews because it "doesn't have enough shootuns". A little humility does good in this industry.

This is not the only time the hate has come out though, it's been constant and it'll probably remain that way right up until his next release.

Not everything Kojima touches is gold though. Peace Walker had godawful gameplay mechanics.

I thought it was one of the best PSP games made better when it got HD treatment.

You can have your own opinion about the story but I thought it was a huge improvement over Portable Ops and streamlined a lot of what made that game decent.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And people though red dead redemption 2 was a polarizing game. It's fascinating seeing the reviews for this game. It seems everyone either absolutely loves it or hates it.

My favorite quote from the reviews I read was "Death Stranding is an irredeemable piece of garbage"

I'm a few hours in and enjoying the game so far, but we will see if that changes as time goes on.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima threads on this forum are fucking cancer. You'd think he was Randy Pitchford with the way people react to him.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Woulda been a better game if the entire backpack was actually just a rack of guns. And you get to shoot bang the landscape away when you walking forward and rock gets in the way.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This is not the only time the hate has come out though, it's been constant and it'll probably remain that way right up until his next release.

I do wonder why now though. He didn't get this much hate with his prior games. His messaging right now doesn't help. I guess people just wanted metal gear?

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kojima has done great stuff for the stealth and action genre and influenced others. Metal Gear Solid was a pioneering 3D blockbuster. I'm not sure Cage is as influential.

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about as a writer, but you're right.

To clarify for anyone responding to my initial post, I am comparing their writing chops. They are both over-indulgent hacks obsessed with Hollywood who would be laughed off the face of the Earth if they ever made an actual movie subject to scrutiny by film critics

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
'Different artistic sensibility ' doesn't like a very humble way to say it. I'm not a hater, just disagree with that approach to adressing different demographics.
With Kojima, there's always stuff that's lost in translation, or that has a different connotation in japanese.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I can't believe you guys would say Kojima has an ego.
Would a man with an ego have a wall full of celebrity selfies at an art gallery for his game?

6aaE2N2.jpg

Jan 9, 2018
as someone who has played 25 hours in 3 days I love death stranding
This was a dumb thing to say on his part but I get where he is coming from
It's a different experience for sure
I'm shocked I've been so addicted to it tbh
But it's one of my all time favorites already and it sucks so many people are flipping on such an original concept even if they don't love it.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, then MGS2 happened and a lot of people did not like the endless interrupting cutscenes, meta commentary or Raiden.

A lot of people in general just dismissed the series, called it a Movie Gear Solid, claimed it had no gameplay, etc.

But again, with the amount of cutscenes, crazy story and stealth gameplay it was definitely a niche series compared to many.

A series that sells 50 million copies isn't niche, regardless of the small fraction of games that sell better.

Thief is a niche stealth series. Metal Gear is anything but.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pre MGS5 I would have vehemently disagreed with this but after seeing all the shit hes pulled since then agree 100%.

Before Death Stranding I would have put MGS4 as Kojima at his worst.

MGS 3 was arguably Kojima at his peak, and he had two other (imo far superior) writers, including Fukushima, working with him.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why now though. He didn't get this much hate with his prior games. His messaging right now doesn't help. I guess people just wanted metal gear?

There has always been an undercurrent of it but it really just reared it's head throughout the whole Death Stranding development and release.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why is everyone getting offended that he said Americans like FPS games, when Americans do in fact like FPS games? Is it because someone non-American said it?

It's just a lazy way to discredit people who dislike Death Stranding. It's the kind of argument I'd expect a message board fanboy to make, not one of the most influential developers in the entire gaming industry.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory accusations against other members and doubling down over multiple posts
Cancer because people disliked someone that basically categorized an entire country as dudebros?
You are being willfully ignorant considering every single thread that even mentions Kojima you have dozens of people calling him a talentless hack, shitting on DS without having even played it, and even making alt accounts to do so.

Yeah he's upset IGN gave him a low score when their European versions all scored him highly and yeah he has a massive ego but that doesn't excuse the way people talk about him on here. Shit is toxic. People attacking his fans as well.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine comparing Kojima, one of the all-time greats, to fucking David Cage.

This post has about as little substance as the average Kojima story.
I can't believe you guys would say Kojima has an ego.
Would a man with an ego have a wall full of celebrity selfies at an art gallery for his game?

6aaE2N2.jpg

It's shocking that a man whose name appears five times in the opening credits of his latest game and whose name appeared at the start of every mission in his previous game buys into his own mythologized status a bit too much.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A series that sells 50 million copies isn't niche, regardless of the small fraction of games that sell better.

Thief is a niche stealth series. Metal Gear is anything but.

But 3.5 doesn't sound like an irredeemable garbage worthy score to me.

Irredeemable garbage is literally 0 or 1, the reviewer even says he uses the full scale.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are being willfully ignorant considering every single thread that even mentions Kojima you have dozens of people calling him a talentless hack, shitting on DS without having even played it, and even making alt accounts to do so.

You're gonna need to provide a whole lot of evidence for some of those claims.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was one of the best PSP games made better when it got HD treatment.

You can have your own opinion about the story but I thought it was a huge improvement over Portable Ops and streamlined a lot of what made that game decent.

I didn't have any problem with the story, but I couldn't stand the tedium of sending enemy soldiers off in fulton balloons. Wasn't there some boring base building too? I haven't played it since the HD collection came out, but coming off MGS4 and the HD versions of 2 and 3, PW just felt like having straight up bad, tedious gameplay in comparison.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima threads on this forum are fucking cancer. You'd think he was Randy Pitchford with the way people react to him.

Kojima threads are much more entertaining though. Pitchford is upfront slimy considering his USB key scandal, the way he manages gearbox and his twitter posts.

With Kojima it's a war between his hardcore fans and haters and it's frankly hilarious to watch.One side tries to paint him as a martyr and an intellectual and the other as a pretentious hack.

I'm always surprised about how this place has such a dedicated base for Kojima considering the amount of people here starting crusades over materials they find non inclusive and offensive.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any problem with the story, but I couldn't stand the tedium of sending enemy soldiers off in fulton balloons. Wasn't there some boring base building too? I haven't played it since the HD collection came out, but coming off MGS4 and the HD versions of 2 and 3, PW just felt like having straight up bad, tedious gameplay in comparison.

You didn't play portable ops then ha, in that game you had to DRAG soldiers SLOWLY back to a truck each at a time.

In comparison the fulton system was so fluid and quick.

And yes there was base building, and a lot of people liked it (some didn't admittedly).

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just cannot get the hate some have for him.

He's like Suda51 or Swery but actually successful and makes good games.

People just so desperately want him to fail or go out of business and it's so petty.
Suda51 or Swery don't make stupid ass, condescenting, pretentious comments like the one this thread is about when a game of theirs gets mixed receptions. Suda51 or Swery also aren't blatantly sexist, then go tell people nonsense like "you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds", and then get a free pass for it from their annoying fans. They don't go around proclaiming new genres, with the fanbase lapping it up in seconds, only to then walk back because they realized most people saw through their nonsense.

Maybe Suda51 and Swery just aren't as utterly unlikeable as Kojima is.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima threads are much more entertaining though. Pitchford is upfront slimy considering his USB key scandal, the way he manages gearbox and his twitter posts.

With Kojima it's a war between his hardcore fans and haters and it's frankly hilarious to watch.One side tries to paint him as a martyr and an intellectual and the other as a pretentious hack.

I'm always surprised about how this place has such a dedicated base for Kojima considering the amount of people here starting crusades over materials they find non inclusive and offensive.
I'd prefer sexist over pretentious.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: when did Kojima start being framed as high art? Whether by himself or other people. At the start of his career he was obsessed with popcorny American action movies and blatantly ripped from them.

mg2ss_avatarsg1j9a.jpg

7e10c038ac8395c2360e6qkjwi.jpg