• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
I was in the audience at Kojima's talk at the Tribeca Film Festival with Norman Reedus and Geoff Keighley and thought I'd share a summary of what was discussed:
  • Kojima reiterates that Death Stranding is an open world action game, but emphasizes that it will bring something new to the genre.
  • He uses the internet as a metaphor to say that connection will be a big theme. The player will be alone, there is solitude, but they'll be trying to connect.
  • In both the gameplay and story, "connection" will be key. Everyone will be connected. Kojima is visibly enthusiastic about this.
  • He can't say much more because Sony will be mad: "I don't want to be disconnected from Sony!"
  • Kojima adds that to connect is the same as disconnecting in a way; is connecting correct? Is it better to disconnect? Wants players to think about this theme in their own lives and in the world (mentions dating and European politics as examples).
  • It's difficult to tell a story in an open world game because you have to balance player freedom, freedom of movement, with the narrative. If you want to know more about the story you do have to go in a certain direction, but he wants players to feel like they are making the choice.
  • Kojima talks about working with Hollywood actors. He can create 100% of what he wants with mere CG, but then he is limited by what is in his head. Real actors can surprise him with added depth. He can't go back to not using motion capture.
  • Norman Reedus says that players will cry when playing the game. You will get emotionally invested.
  • Kojima says he wants to create games until he dies.
  • Kojima says we might see more of the game in a month or so. Maybe.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this sounds awesome! And creating games until he dies? Well I hope he's immortal then :P
And as Kojima already said... yes, I think we will hear more of DS in May.

karloxz

May 22, 2018
  • Kojima says we might see more of the game in a month or so. Maybe.
So State of Play in May/June confirmed :D

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Only Kojima can tell me a bunch of new details that is actually nothing and I'm still more hyped than before I opened the thread.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • In both the gameplay and story, "connection" will be key. Everyone will be connected. Kojima is visibly enthusiastic about this.

TVX6MoQ.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, this is great!

Also, I feel like I've gained very little additional knowledge, they are still in such an abstract and cryptic phase when discussing this project.

Did Geoff press them with questions, or just gave them space to talk?

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised when the next large reveal happens!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the details. Can't wait to see what new things Kojima is doing with the genre, which could really do with some innovation.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the summary. Sounds interesting & looking forward to seeing more of it in action but not too much.

May 30, 2018
His whole connection thing reminds me of the Nuke cutscene from MGSV that was supposed to play if everyone disarmed their FOB

He seems to be expanding on that

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So the internet thing is just a metaphor and the game is definitely single player, thank god

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So the internet thing is just a metaphor and the game is definitely single player, thank god

I have a feeling that Kojima will improve on the "world tendency" feature from Demons Souls.
I imagine you can play it offline but playing connected with the servers could change things in the world based on others players actions.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Singleplayer yes. But I'm sure it will have some online stuff, like (for example) Bloodborne or Dark Souls while playing the singleplayer mode.
yeah that should be fine then
I have a feeling that Kojima will improve on the "world tendency" feature from Demons Souls.
I imagine you can play it offline but playing connected with the servers could change things in the world based on others players actions.
if that's the case guess I'll be playing offline

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait. After MGS 4 and 5, im not going to buy into the hype and just wait and see how it turns out.

Hope it's awesome though. Something as amazing as MGS 1-3

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks, this is great!

Also, I feel like I've gained very little additional knowledge, they are still in such an abstract and cryptic phase when discussing this project.

Did Geoff press them with questions, or just gave them space to talk?

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised when the next large reveal happens!
Geoff moved things along with questions (which led to some of the answers in the OP) and they took a few audience questions at the end as well. One guy asked about a PC version and they had no comment.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima is gonna fuck around and make the entire game a literal scent we spend $60 to smell.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My most anticipated game out of the big unreleased Sony exclusives. I want something new, exciting, and refreshing. DS seems to be that.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I cannot wait but I really need a trailer. DS can become a trilogy or more if Kojima will keep making games!

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
Kojima made a game for brexit lol.
I think this game will be immortal. It will make everyone cry and rethink the possibilities of this medium.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to be soo freakin good. Kojima always surprises and creates games with original themes/premises. Can't fault the man for taking risks and progressing the medium, especially when he's so damn good at it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
DS will either prove Kojima is a god or expose him as a hack with head up his ass. There is no other way.

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for the details Cerium!

Listened to the audio recording of the Tribeca discussion last night, and some stuff was cutout near the end.