• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"I think within the next few years, gaming will move on to streaming," Kojima said. "Movies, dramas, and games will all be streamed, and you'll enjoy them on your iPad or iPhone or a screen anytime, anywhere. When that happens, games, films, and dramas will have to compete in the same space. I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there, and that's what I want to take on."

This is not the first time he says something like this, back in April he said the following:

"Many say it'll end in failure, but I think it didn't work out because the technology wasn't advanced enough," he elaborated. "Now that 5G has launched, we'll see a huge shift to cloud gaming during the next five years. Entertainment as a whole will change and allow more liberty." Kojima's latest project, "Death Stranding," has yet to see a release date or a confirmation on which console it will debut on first – the upcoming unnamed successor to PlayStation 4, or the PlayStation 4 itself. It's unclear if it will utilize any type of game streaming technology.

"We'll start seeing completely different games these next five years as 5G spreads," he said. "There's one big thing I have in mind related to streaming as well. I can't say anything more as I don't want to spoil though." He didn't explain further, but the meaning behind this cryptic nugget could have multiple meanings. With "Death Stranding" still in development, there will likely be some time before anyone finds out what he means.

variety.com

Hideo Kojima Discusses Cloud Gaming, Teases One ‘Big Thing’ for Streaming

"Death Stranding" creator Hideo Kojima shared his thoughts on cloud gaming in a recent interview with Nikkei Business, noting that he has "one big thing" in mind for the service in the future.

Update: 1/1/20

"We'll have Tokyo Olympic in the year of 2020, and also the extreme change in entertainment industry will come in next 10 years with the arrival of the streaming and AI. I'd like to create something related to such new media and totally brand new entertainment for the tomorrow."

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That topic title is like Resetera kryptonite.

(I love Kojima and I believe in streaming.)

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
In the next 5 years? I don't know about that, but, sure, eventually it will.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in a future where good internet access is available for anyone, specially considering gaming requirements.

For now, hell no.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
It's kind of common knowledge in the industry right now - having a lot of the power generated by a machine that is doomed to obsoletion is phasing out. Where we're moving towards is having low upfront costs to the consumer where you can use devices that you already have around (smartphone, PC, etc) to "stream" content using resources other than your device.

There's still lots of challenges that we're facing getting there, though - one of which is cost. Someone (not the consumer) has to foot the bill, so the startup costs to the provider are HUGE.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after this next (potentially last) generation of physical consoles.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Streaming won't change the types of games being made, just make them more accessible.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it will - who doesnt believe that now?

... you people who still buy physical discs? That will disappear, replaced by digital, replaced by streaming

This transition will take YEARS - but it will happen. Just like other media like music and movies

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yay, input lag and visual artifacts due to compression.

The moment this becomes the new standard and the only way to play games is the moment I move on.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Of course it will - who doesnt believe that now?

... you people who still buy physical discs? That will disappear, replaced by digital, replaced by streaming

This transition will take YEARS - but it will happen. Just like other media like music and movies
I don't think physical will completely disappear. It will probably transition into collector's editions for successful games only, and way down the line after a games release.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

i agree but i don't think physical will disappear anytime soon. you can still buy cds, vinyl or bluray, dvds and even books.

there will always be a market for owning stuff. vinyl and physical book market are booming.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can get behind him on this, when I can play my games on my iPad anywhere in my home I'll be a happy fella.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah, that won't be the gold standard until high speed broadband is available to all globally and IPs don't have data caps.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I think streaming will have a bumpy start but will eventually become as good as the TV/Movie streaming services. Expect to be completely fooled once this gets going.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
yeah sure, i'm down.

as long as it's not super expensive like television is looking to become over the next couple of years (i.e. having to subscribe the 6 or 7 different services to watch/play all the things you want)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I agree 100%

Maybe it will be 7 years instead of 5, but come the gen after that, that will be the reality

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what first party (Sony, MS, Nintendo) will do then. They have a strong hold now over third party, but when someone is willing to rent infrastructure and tech to 3rd parties allowing them to set up their own service spanning the globe what will these companies do?

will first party be cloud providers having the technology and infrastructure (including MS) then? How will Sony and Nintendo react? have a cloud service with old 3rd party games (if they allow them to keep it) and their own turning them into just another publisher with their own streaming service?

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Will 5G even help with latency issues? I thought it was just faster?

5G will make low latency connections a lot more common.

"With 4G networks, you're looking at an average latency of around 50ms. That could drop to 1ms with 5G technology. Just to give that some context, it takes at least 10ms for an image seen by the human eye to be processed by the brain. Low latency is vital for real-time reactions in machines or cars and it could also make cloud gaming possible. Gamers could play via their phones on remote hardware, as services like Google's Stadia are suggesting. 1ms is what you can aspire to, as it's what's possible in near-perfect scenarios. The average latency you can expect on 5G will likely be around 10ms."

www.digitaltrends.com

5G vs. 4G: Key differences between networks explained | Digital Trends

How do 5G and 4G compare in terms of speed, latency, and coverage? We pit them against each other to uncover the differences -- and what that means for you.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If Gaming goes exclusively streaming, I'll very likely stop playing games.

I don't see you as a real gamer then. For me it all starts and ends with the games. I'm very exited with the type of games developers will be able to make with the power of the cloud and Kojima seems to be too.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange that there's not a middle ground for some people. I would love to be able to just grab my laptop and boot up a new SP game in the near future when I get bored away from home, but would still be buying my anticipated titles to experience them in their full glory.

It makes sense to move to streaming, does that mean you won't be able to buy retail and own it? Of course not. Did Netflix kill blu ray sales? I just bought some cd's for my dad who also uses Apple Music. Things can coexist just fine. Streaming isn't scary, it's just another method to get content to consumers.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
This is inevitable and I can't wait! I'm excited for the new technology that'll be possible once things are distributed over servers in the cloud.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure I quite agree with that. They're all already competing in the same space.

He's referring to the fact that you can for example access Netflix from basically any screen. Once Cloud gaming services become widespread, then you can either watch a Netflix show or continue playing Cyberpunk on your smartphone, while being a passenger in a car.