• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
At the Dutch website Gamer.nl we posted an interview with Hideo Kojima today – great timing with the review coming tomorrow and all that. The interview, taken by my colleague Raf Picavet around the time of Gamescom, talks mostly about Death Stranding and the creation of the game, but I found the last question and answer interesting.

Translated from Dutch (which in itself was probably translated from English, which was translated from Japanese, so keep that in mind):

Gamer.nl: The development of Death Stranding is finished. Do you feel like you've managed to stay true to your ambitions? Are you thinking about a future project already or are you mostly living in this Death Stranding-moment right now?

Kojima:
"I've been walking around thinking about a future project for a while now. But that doesn't mean that these aren't stressful times. Even though I embrace that stress, its sometimes quite painful, like the contractions when giving birth. But the past four years were probably worse, as now I know it'll be over soon. At the same time I'm watching it all from a distance and enjoying myself (laughs)."

kojiuma-intervieiwop.png

A few other choice quotes I found interesting:

Gamer.nl: Can you name some sources of inspiration for Death Stranding?

Kojima:
"I often get this question and I find it difficult to mention something specific. I try to watch a movie a day. I read as many books as I can. I listen to a lot of music. I visit exhibitions, technology expos, gigs and from all that Death Stranding arose. I live in Japan, but I watch what's happening in the rest of the world continuously."

Gamer.nl: We're close to the release of Death Stranding and its still pretty much a mystery what Death Stranding entails. That's a risky strategy. Why choose that approach?

Kojima:
"It's a completely new type of game. Its difficult to promote that. Everyone judges based on their experience. Normally around this time (Gamescom 2019) there would be something playable so that I would just have to tell people to shoot that enemy there, and that's it. Then afterwards, you can tell me if you thought it was good or bad. But with this game, that is impossible. That's why we had to approach our future players in a different way."

Gamer.nl: That approach made sure people like us made our own theories about the game, without them being refuted. For instance, by calling a game that you poured your heart and soul in a 'walking simulator'. Does that bother you?

Kojima:
"I don't view it as a form of criticism at all. I thought: 'oh, so that's how people see it'."

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamer.nl: That approach made sure people like us made our own theories about the game, without them being refuted. For instance, by calling a game that you poured your heart and soul in a 'walking simulator'. Does that bother you?

Kojima:
"I don't view it as a form of criticism at all. I thought: 'oh, so that's how people see it'."

KING

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want the game to have an amazing story and no sexism. Give me at least that, Kojima.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I would imagine this is pretty normal, I am sure these creative folks get ideas all the time for their next project.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
"Even though I embrace that stress, its sometimes quite painful, like the contractions when giving birth."

Kojima is a weird person. I love it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Tomorrow is gonna be on hell of a day for sure.

We're living in the calm before the storm.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if the next game will be a sequel. I doubt it.

I think that's not his place to make that comment...it was stupid.

Come on, he is using a metaphor! That is ridiculous, like someone make a metaphor outside their experience...Should tell that to Homer, who used animal metaphors all day for human actions.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that serious....Some of you live to create drama I think.
I wasn't creating drama...I just said it's not his place. I can comment on his comment.

Interesting. I wonder if the next game will be a sequel. I doubt it.

Come on, he is using a metaphor! That is ridiculous, like someone make a metaphor outside their experience...Should tell that to Homer, who used animal metaphors all day for human actions.
Sure. I can have my opinion about it.
You're trying way too hard kid, kind of sad really.

Loved this quote about people saying it's a "walking simulator" though:

Can't fucking wait for another game from this genius.
Trying hard about what little boy?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn the dude is a machine.. tomorrow will be quite interesting for sure.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't take issue with zedox's comment. It's not a big deal in the slightest but we're also free to have an opinion.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if part of the deal with Sony was they get first refusal on his next project.

OP
OP
Moz La Punk

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I thought this quote was also interesting:

Gamer.nl: Your games often have a serious character, but there's always room for humor. This game seems like your most serious game up until now. Is the humor still there, and how impotant is humor in serious stories?

Kojima:
"First of all: I thought Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain with its theme of revenge was also pretty serious, and it was difficult to put humor in that game. But you are right, Death Stranding has even more serious themes. But even then you need humor every now and then. Even if its to release that build up tension. You will also get a deep feeling of well-being sometimes when you are playing Death Stranding. You will walk through a beatiful, sun drenched mountain landscape, and then the weater changes drastically and frightening enemies will have to be dealt with. But once you've passed these dangerous zones, the sun will shine again and the tone will change drastically again. You'll feel relieved. That will create an emotional rhythm and pace. Humor is more difficult in Death Stranding, so we dealt with it differently."

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Kojima:

GODJIMA.

D8UNTGDU0AAdaSN.jpg

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Damn, Kojima just brushed off his doubters biggest criticism "walking simulator" like nothing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense. He has to think about keeping his studio employed - you can't just shuffle them to another Konami project now.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Am I stopping him from saying what he can say? No. He can say whatever he wants to. I just don't think it's a man's place to say such a thing. Hence I don't think its his place to say it, and thus, stupid.
Nah, it's just a metaphor, only someone with an axe to grind would find an issue with it, something is stupid alright and it's not his comment.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I really hope he gets out of this open world shtick and makes something linear and along the lines of Episode 48 in the second chapter of MGS V.

That shit was gold.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the game to have an amazing story and no sexism. Give me at least that, Kojima.
That's not going to happen unless he asks one of his many best friends to handle the writing, it would also require someone who can keep his and his artists' horniness at bay. I can't imagine Kojima being down for that kind of collaboration.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's in his mid 50s, and is about to experience or is experiencing the same creative awakening he had in his twenties, we're about to see peak-Kojima once again. Man is on fire.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope he gets out of this open world shtick and makes something linear and along the lines of Episode 48 in the second chapter of MGS V.

That shit was gold.
The little I've heard of Death Stranding suggests it can have a lot of tension or elements of horror. I hope his next game goes all in on horror. I think he has the capacity for it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it's just a metaphor, only someone with an axe to grind would find an issue with it, something is stupid alright and it's not his comment.
An axe to grind? Uhm, no. You are looking for shit that ain't there. I just don't think it's a mans place to make such a comment.

Eh comparing something painful or difficult to birth to sum the gravity of the situation is by no means that uncommon.
It doesn't have to be uncommon in order for me to have my opinion on it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't creating drama...I just said it's not his place. I can comment on his comment.

Sure. I can have my opinion about it.

Trying hard about what little boy?

What is your opinion then? That he shouldn't make a metaphor about child birth because he can't have a child? If so, you can't be much for literary works in general. Metaphors abound with references to things outside people's actual possible experience.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

That shit was gold.
I remember a while back in the lead up to MGSV, he spoke about how open world games are the future. Just recently at Gamescom, he conducted a Q/A and stated that after experiencing a large-scale world, the kinds you'd find in open-world games, he can't just return to doing linear games again. Not gonna lie, for someone in the industry for so long, I'm surprised he only just recently got to make his first open-world game in MGSV. As he says, the tech is a huge barrier but it's cool he was able to get over that with Death Stranding and with assistance from Guerrilla. I don't see Kojima returning to linear games ever tbh.
4P: After Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain, you decided to stay in an open world with Death Stranding. What is the biggest challenge for you when you create a world? And can too much freedom become a curse too?

K: Well, after experiencing an action game in an open world, you can not just go back to other things. That's what I thought. Because of the interactivity. Of course, there are other ways to make a game. A linear game for example. However, I can not go back after having had the experience of having a large-scale world in a game. The problem, however, is the technology. Of course it is technically difficult to create an open world. The player has the greatest possible freedom in an open world. Therefore, you are never really sure what the player will do. In this context, storytelling in an open-world game is the biggest challenge. As there is more and more freedom, it means that the story sometimes gets in the way of a distraction.

So in Phantom Pain I started with a kind of experiment by starting linear. And once the world opens, the story fades in one way. Some Hideo Kojima fans were not happy that the story takes a back seat. But this was done very consciously. This time was the biggest challenge and the biggest obstacle: It's an open world, but at the same time we do not want to reduce the importance of the story, so fans of Hideo Kojima games will not be disappointed.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be uncommon in order for me to have my opinion on it.

That's cool but this is something that has been done for hundreds, if not thousands of years. For example Shakespeare has a pretty similar line to what Kojima was saying. Was this not the Bard's place to comment?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
If DS does as well as I think it will, Kojima will be able to command whatever funding he needs for it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it gonna be just Death Stranding 2? I'm pretty sure he talked about wanting to make sequels.

He did but we'll have to see, wouldn't shock me if he did a completely different project.

And without knowing anything about Death Stranding other than the base premise, I don't even know how a sequel would even work.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
What is your opinion then? That he shouldn't make a metaphor about child birth because he can't have a child? If so, you can't be much for literary works in general. Metaphors abound with references to things outside people's actual possible experience.

That's cool but this is something that has been done for hundreds, if not thousands of years. For example Shakespeare has a pretty similar line to what Kojima was saying.

Yes, I know how metaphors work guys...and this isn't some literary work. It's an interview. I disagree with using that metaphor in an interview...as a man.