• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Crunch is always a bad thing. Like, yeah, it's a reality of the industry, but it happens (at least in good-faith cases) because development did not go fully as planned.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
How many months needs to the game be "gold" before the mass production of disks start and deliver the game to stores on the release date?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
How many months needs to the game be "gold" before the mass production of disks start and deliver the game to stores on the release date?
It's usually two months before release, but considering today's development climate, all the studios continue working on the eventual Day 1 patch, so crunch time sometimes goes beyond "gold" status....

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the devs are paid fairly for their overtime and they are given some time to relax after release.
This is bad and it doesn't matter that it's coming from Kojima, nor that it's an "industry standard". That's bullshit and you should not defend it.

I live in a country where it's pretty common to work 9+ hours a day while the employer has you hired for part time. You see people voluntarily stay 12 hours at work just to keep it and don't get fired for 520€ per month.
If you complain to anyone you always hear them saying "thats the standard now". Well fuck off, you normalised this shit and now it's the standard.

Don't give excuses for shitty practises and don't even think about excusing it if you have never been abused by an employer.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
For all those saying yeah crunch is normal in the last few weeks, I agree.

But we're still more than 3 months out. If crunch is already starting, then maybe they should move the date back.
Starting? He says they're still in crunch, meaning they've been doing it for awhile.

Delay and release on PS5 instead is my advice. I won't play it until then anyway since I only have an OG PS4 and don't want an inferior experience.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
But what happens at companies like Naughty Dog is that nobody is asked to crunch -- they just stay late because they're perfectionists, it's ingrained in their DNA, and it's part of the culture.

Ah yes, the perfectionist approach. Also known as the we indirectly force people to work long hours via social peer pressure approach.

What a shitty and toxic work culture. If only there were managers that would tell people to not work and go home instead.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Kojima overwork himself a lot, particularly on MGSV? I remember something about shutting himself up in a room.

That isn't to excuse crunch if that's what is actually happening, but rather I'm worried if he took that rather extreme work ethic and applied it to the entire studio.

Hope this is asked about in interviews.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People excusing crunch because it's common is kinda pathetic.

Crunch culture punishes those who have responsibilities outside of work. Such as mothers, people with elderly Dependants, etc.

Wonder why tech is not diverse? There's one reason.

These changes companies make massive profits. A higher share of that could be absorbed as costs to promote a more balanced, inclusive workplace

But people have been culturally indoctrinated into killing themselves for crumbs.

It's sad really.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kojima overwork himself a lot, particularly on MGSV? I remember something about shutting himself up in a room.

That isn't to excuse crunch if that's what is actually happening, but rather I'm worried if he took that rather extreme work ethic and applied it to the entire studio.

Hope this is asked about in interviews.

It was Konami who shut him in a tiny room

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Ah yes, the perfectionist approach. Also known as the we indirectly force people to work long hours via social peer pressure approach.

What a shitty and toxic work culture. If only there were managers that would tell people to not work and go home instead.
maybe it's just not ingrained in your dna?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You say it's a shitty and toxic work culture, but DICE, who you work for and is supposedly less aggressive with crunch or working hours or whatever, has notably worse employee reviews and opinions on Glassdoor than Naughty Dog, so clearly the work environment isn't as toxic as you make out. Instead, it is seemingly actually more positive than many or most other game development studios listed on Glassdoor, presumably because a lot more goes into what makes a studio enjoyable or rewarding to work at, beyond just crunch or work hours or whatever.

Whilst I'm not promoting crunch (though I acknowledge it is a pretty normal part of most employment that routinely revolves around deadlines, and that there are varying degrees of how bad it can be), if the devs at ND are so passionate about their craft that they literally want to stay behind and work of their own admission and choice, so long as they're still getting paid to do so, and there's no mandate on others to do the same, you can hardly condemn management for allowing such focus or determination.

There's reasons ND is arguably one of the best game devs in the world, and the quality of their work is as consistent and high quality as it is, and a large part of that is going to boil down to the talent and mindframe of many of their employees, some of whom clearly live and breath this shit, are at the very top of their game, and enjoy pushing themselves and their craft. Outside of the un-mandated crunch, it does seem that on the whole employee opinion at ND is highly positive, so the toxic environment claims or summaries seem misplaced to me, though of course there is clearly still room for plenty of improvement, especially around crunch.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The good old "nobody is asked to do it" but if you don't you are fucking over your colleagues and yoi clearly don't care enough about the company so forget about promotions.

Managers that care about people to avoid those situations are why I love working on Sweden (different field though).

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Literally every project in a tech company ever has crunch.

This is absolutely wrong.

I run programs at tech companies and rarely ever have crunch times on projects. It really comes down to a combination of proper planning, staffing, mitigation strategies, and corporate culture.

If a organization or company wants to avoid crunch times, they can do so. In my view the biggest inhibitor to preventing crunch times in most teams or organizations is lack of planning on the part of PMs or people that either ignore or hide from reality of their projects. They either accept it when developers tell them they are running behind but not to worry because they will catch up or I have frequently seen PMs that bully devs into committing to timeliness that are not realistic.

It is important to be transparent broadly in a tech team. This means empowering developers and testers to let PMs and leadership know when they are running behind, not default blaming them when they inform you, and working to mitigate the problems while also adjusting future plans and schedules to account for actual organizational velocity.

But this isn't the fun work and few people are either willing to do the work or are willing to spend the hundreds of hours learning how to do the work correctly.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA

Some of us do just that. Hell of Bing could build a competitive search relevance to Google with almost no crunch times for years, I would like to believe that a video game studio could do the same.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not crunching if it's done with love and passion. :"")

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is important to be transparent broadly in a tech team. This means empowering developers and testers to let PMs and leadership know when they are running behind, not default blaming them when they inform you, and working to mitigate the problems while also adjusting future plans and schedules to account for actual organizational velocity.
You can optimize your planning, but you can't necessarily change the deadline. So what do you do then? If you have a regulatory deadline for instance and you are running behind, then you either upstaff or you crunch. And upstaffing doesn't work.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to hear that 3 months of crunch is ok but 9 months isn't.

For future reference, where is that line?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
You can optimize your planning, but you can't necessarily change the deadline. So what do you do then? If you have a regulatory deadline for instance and you are running behind, then you either upstaff or you crunch. And upstaffing doesn't work.

You scope down and cut features. Push features you cannot deliver into post launch.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You scope down and cut features. Push features you cannot deliver into post launch.
Again not possible with regulatory reports. Can't exactly tell the government that you can't deliver all the reports. There are simply limitations on what you can descope, what you can push back. And sometimes you have to accept that even with the best planning, you simply didn't deliver enough in the first place. And then you can either delay or you know, not delay and make sure you make it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I work on regulatory stuff, we either change the deadline (happens more often than you think) or just crunch for a short term (1 week) which is then rewarded with holidays to avoid over burn. Even then, we had previously issues were coworkers had felt burn off due to this intermitent crunch and had gotten more power to talk to our superiors for delays.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Ingrained in DNA" fucking, lol.

The rhetoric of people defending exploitation and internalized masochist work culture.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, shit happens, things aren't going to go as planned. So what are the best option?

1. crunch the devs to meet the deadline so gamers won't riot
2. delay the game so that developers can have healthier worklife

Judging by this thread, first option should be the answer.

As someone who works in the tech industry, this is not true.
Me too.

Not sure what kind of tech company they were talking about there.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
People excusing crunch because it's common is kinda pathetic.

Crunch culture punishes those who have responsibilities outside of work. Such as mothers, people with elderly Dependants, etc.

Wonder why tech is not diverse? There's one reason.

These changes companies make massive profits. A higher share of that could be absorbed as costs to promote a more balanced, inclusive workplace

But people have been culturally indoctrinated into killing themselves for crumbs.

It's sad really.
I'm not trying to excuse crunch, as it is indeed terrible, but isn't crunch kind of normal? Like, not only in tech but everywhere?
Who of us didn't study a lot harder during the last week before an exam compared to when we started studying?
I guess we're kind of biologically wired to work more (or harder) when there is pressure (i.e. a deadline). Again, this doesn't excuse crunch periods lasting several months - the gaming industry took crunch to perverted degrees - and more of a management issue then.
Additionally, tech, moreso than other industries, is also riddled with unexpected problems causing huge delays, which makes proper management extra hard (or nigh impossible). And now imagine being based in the US where labours laws seem to be non-existant.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I work on regulatory stuff, we either change the deadline (happens more often than you think) or just crunch for a short term (1 week) which is then rewarded with holidays to avoid over burn. Even then, we had previously issues were coworkers had felt burn off due to this intermitent crunch and had gotten more power to talk to our superiors for delays.
But that is it, sometimes a short crunch is required to catch up to lost time. (And yes, I know the regulator can be flexible at some cases, although that might be more industry dependent.) The problem with crunch is when it becomes a permanent crutch, but in a 2-3 year development process like for a videogame, 1-2 month crunch doesn't seem that extravagant. Especially because the people that will be crunching the hardest now aren't exactly the people that have to go all-in from the start of the next project and so hopefully these managers build in that recuperation time. Jumping to all crunch is completely bad and due to mismanagement, and all crunch is avoidable seems to me not realistic. Good management will ensure it is rare, that there is time for recuperation so it remains livable.
(Maybe I'm in luck that my company allows self-regulation on the latter.)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But that is it, sometimes a short crunch is required to catch up to lost time. (And yes, I know the regulator can be flexible at some cases, although that might be more industry dependent.) The problem with crunch is when it becomes a permanent crutch, but in a 2-3 year development process like for a videogame, 1-2 month crunch doesn't seem that extravagant. Especially because the people that will be crunching the hardest now aren't exactly the people that have to go all-in from the start of the next project and so hopefully these managers build in that recuperation time. Jumping to all crunch is completely bad and due to mismanagement, and all crunch is avoidable seems to me not realistic. Good management will ensure it is rare, that there is time for recuperation so it remains livable.
(Maybe I'm in luck that my company allows self-regulation on the latter.)
In Discord I have said several times the problem itself is not crunch, which is a last resort tool that sometimes is required when everything else fails. The problem is when it has become a common tool that is used without any second thought about its adverse sides and for prolonged periods of time.
A 1 week crunch is a lot different than a 4-8 week crunch. Our projects also last years and once you get to crunches/delays so long, the main question is "where did we fail in project management?".

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its time that Kojima delivers a good game! His last epic game was MGS3.

No MGS4 and V
I know gameplay this, that etc.
are just not the same quality as the first three games.

eysoycoco

Jul 23, 2019
imo western crunch is kind of regular japan? Still, you can just feel sorry for the people that has to endure crunch, here or there, whatever their reasons to endure it. It shouldn't be like that.

And oh no it's not a solution. A solution would be to delay it and learn to plan better ahead of time. Not surprising for his first "solo" project but still, i hope he learns.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
imo western crunch is kind of regular japan? Still, you can just feel sorry for the people that has to endure crunch, here or there, whatever their reasons to endure it. It shouldn't be like that.
Yes and No, because in Japan it has nothing to do with the actual amount of work. It is a culture of appearance. Your entire company could have no work, no deadlines and you'd still be expected to do this.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I have no problem with crunch per se. If you have a hard deadline, then you have to hit it.

HOWEVER workers had better be given the option, and if they say yes they'd better be getting paid overtime.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how these threads take a different turn when it's a darling dev to a lot of people. At least this thread isn't as embarrassing as the Naughty Dog one.
honestly it's super embarrassing. the tone of the thread would be completely different if this was a game by EA, activision, ubisoft, rockstar, etc.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's such a shame shit like this still happens even with a game that was apparently very ahead of schedule. It could have even come out next year and it still would have made good time.