• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Guess you guys moaning have never worked towards deadlines?
Heh so far last month I averaging 25 hrs of OT not complaining about the check XD. My girlfriend who's a architect be under constant pressure and crunch in her field to meet deadlines. Not saying it's acceptable but deadlines need to be met because budget will skyrocket.

It's the nature of the beast

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see selective non-outrage happening in this thread in comparison to a Rockstar or EA crunch thread

That said, there's levels to this type of stuff that without more elaboration or whistleblowing, you cant really comment on it at all

Hope the game is good and they bonuses or some shit

First. Whataboutism.
Second please point to people doing what you said.
Third, please show me those details about Kojima forcing employees to work overtime and forcing them to hang out at strip clubs.

It's ok to get the fact rights before getting outraged. Stop attacking people for being cautious.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yah. Its suddenly ok and there are different classifications of crunch now for some reason.

There aren't different classifications or levels to crunch only now, there simply are and have been since crunch was first ever even a thing.

I know Internet outrage culture and forum discourse often tends to drain nuance, context, logic and rationale out of discussions, but just look at it from a common sense perspective.

Even anecdotally, as someone who used to work in marketing and web development, sometimes crunch would be little more than a few days of extra or longer work hours and all hands on deck, whilst other times it'd be weeks of extra prolonged hours and higher intensity workloads, to ensure we met client requirements, that we won or secured a pitch, that we finished a project on time etc. Both are examples of crunch, (eg higher than typical intensity levels of work towards the end of a project cycle), but from a stress and health impairment perspective, these two types of crunch are a world apart.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, no developer should publically tweet out crunch. Its not good PR.

Strange to tweet it out like some kind of honorary badge.

Yeh, I dunno if Kojima's behavior here is in part motivated by the notorious Japanese work culture where it's not rarely seen positively to work to the point of falling asleep, maybe even sleeping in the company, but it sure is egregious to him tweeting about it pridefully. Sure would make employees feel uncomfortable about what's expected from them on that note.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There aren't different classifications or levels to crunch only now, there simply are and have been since crunch was first ever even a thing.

I know Internet outrage culture and forum discourse often tends to drain nuance, context, logic and rationale out of discussions, but just look at it from a common sense perspective.

Even anecdotally, as someone who used to work in marketing and web development, sometimes crunch would be little more than a few days of extra or longer work hours and all hands on deck, whilst other times it'd be weeks of extra prolonged hours and higher intensity workloads, to ensure we met client requirements, that we won or secured a pitch, that we finished a project on time etc. Both are examples of crunch, (eg higher than typical intensity levels of work towards the end of a project cycle), but from a stress and health impairment perspective, these two types of crunch are a world apart.

so its ok if its a couple of days crunch when its likely couple of months crunch here

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I get that Kojima wants to prove the contrary of beliefs but if his vision of a game takes time then sony needs to allow him more time without crunch. game needs to be delayed

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I get that Kojima wants to prove the contrary of beliefs but if his vision of a game takes time then sony needs to allow him more time without crunch. game needs to be delayed

Sony has delayed numerous games this gen and this is the first aaa game they've released in Oct/Nov(beyond launch titles) this entire generation. This isnt Sony. This is Kojima. He wants the limelight.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
"Crunch time" is also used as a term for positive motivation, not just working around the clock.

That being said, I'm sure they're still putting in long hours.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Imagine escaping from Konami to form your own studio... only to immediately fall back to old bad practices and overwork your staff.

Also imagine being okay with the exploitation of labour just because you like Kojima. People making excuses and "it's just the way it is". Smh.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is always more nuanced and level headed when dealing with a creator that they like. But, it's true that we don't know much about the situation.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Sorry, didn't follow the entire thread.
Is there any details known despite Kojima using the expression crunch time of dev (in combination with a rainbow) on twitter?

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yikes... Crunch time is something awful, I have to be honest. I don't work in gaming, but I do work in programming, and I've been crunching (working 7 days a week from 5am to 10pm) for the past few months with not a lot of overtime pay, no one asked for me to do it, but I do it anyway due to some idiotic sense of involvement in the project. I wouldn't justify crunch at all really, my relationships suffer because of it, my health gets worse, hell, I'm spending most of my birthday today at the office on meetings and then I'll keep working when I'm home! It sucks, but all I'm saying is that I get why someone would do it in an environment where it's not mandatory, specially if I was working on a videogame and not some project for a company.

Now on the other hand, mandatory crunch can really, really go fuck itself.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't think we should normalize crunch, most industries have a small amount of crunch before a big launch regardless of the medium. As long as the entire dev cycle isn't crunch, like some stories I've heard, I can accept it as a necessary evil.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Crunch is outrageous (except when it's Kojima and I want his game)

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Yikes... Crunch time is something awful, I have to be honest. I don't work in gaming, but I do work in programming, and I've been crunching (working 7 days a week from 5am to 10pm) for the past few months with not a lot of overtime pay, no one asked for me to do it, but I do it anyway due to some idiotic sense of involvement in the project. I wouldn't justify crunch at all really, my relationships suffer because of it, my health gets worse, hell, I'm spending most of my birthday today at the office on meetings and then I'll keep working when I'm home! It sucks, but all I'm saying is that I get why someone would do it in an environment where it's not mandatory, specially if I was working on a videogame and not some project for a company.

Now on the other hand, mandatory crunch can really, really go fuck itself.

This kind of crunch is partly what made me leave programming and move into IT.