• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
We've already established that this isn't the case. Just look at a few posts above yours for the Insomniac tweet.
Also, crunching for a few weeks versus crunching for a few months is night and day.
Being over worked is being over worked. If they can't finish their game without crunch, why not delay the release date by a few weeks instead if it's not such a big deal.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
"relatively crunch-free" does not mean completely crunch free.

There is always going to be crunch.

Even on the next Animal Crossing which was delayed to give the team breathing room so they don't burn out, there is going to be crunch at some point before release, even if it's not as bad as other companies.
Oh yes, I agree. The nature of project based work is that near release (and usually shortly afterwards too) there is going to be a certain amount of crunch. The problem is that 3+ months is too early (and based on the wording of the tweet, it looks like it's been going on for longer). Crunching because your product releases in two weeks and you need to fix bugs is one thing. Crunching 3 months before release because plenty of things need to be worked on is another.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"relatively crunch-free" does not mean completely crunch free.

There is always going to be crunch.

Even on the next Animal Crossing which was delayed to give the team breathing room so they don't burn out, there is going to be crunch at some point before release, even if it's not as bad as other companies.
With Death Stranding it seems especially bad, no? Crunch now, more than three months before launch? When will the game go gold? In two months? So that's two months of crunch? Seems pretty bad, does it not?

Oh and of course there will be a day one patch so there will be crunching for 3+ months. That seems awful.

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like some people think crunch ended after a few articles came out about it.

I can almost guarantee most everyone is working 12-14 hour days and 6-7 day weeks right now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hard to pull much out of that tweet, I'm sure he's working very hard though. "Crunch time" is a common phrase, obviously the word "crunch" is hot topic in games but that short message doesn't really say what's going on. 50 hour weeks? 60 hour weeks? More? There's a level of overtime somewhere in there that should be okay for a short period of time at the end of a project. Depends what Kojima's idea of "crunch time" is.
Exactly, its too ambiguous, is he working 50 hour weeks or 100 hour weeks? we have no idea. I assume its not that pretty, but we really dont know enough. its not like what we heard of rockstar or naughty dogs crunch situation at all.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much is riding on this game for HK and KojiPro, I would almost expect the man to work himself to an inhuman degree based on how he approaches his craft. Doubt he demands that of his team though.

Lol well we definitely know WB Montreal doesnt crunch, in fact they crunch so little they dont even release anything

Dec 23, 2017
This game has about as much hype as any game I remember in recent generations. What happens if it underperforms critically and doesn't review well? I have no doubt it's going to sell well.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's also very tone deaf of his part to sugar coated it with a rainbow emoji, given how its perceived as a negative work culture.

I am actually suprised he would even make that tweet. He must know crunch in video game development got recently a lot of very negative attention. It would be the last thing I'd mention in a tweet to promote my game.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worship of Kojima reaches the point of "Crunching is okay"

My god. Delay the game until next year and let your developers breathe man.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
DP9-q-LVoAIOcBa.jpg

Mads: "Kojima-san this is 15th night in a row you are asking me out on a dinner and to talk about movies, maybe we should work on that game thing?"
Kojima: "Nonsense! Now tell me how Daniel Craig's hair smells."

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Kojima you sly devil lol! Love it! You really are a genius and you really are playing them like a damn fiddle!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't lol, you just put in a few words and concise sentence something I had been trying to define for months now.
The issue is not black and white. Crunch is bad, but unavoidable in most work (who hasn't rushed to finish a paper 30 minutes before due time?).

If short, absolutely necessary, well compensated and due to last minute polishing, it's acceptable if in the most humanitarian extent.

Now, stuff like
- Prolonged crunch
- Crunch due to bad management
- Crunch due to bad project management
- inhumane conditions during crunch
- HR and management abuse
- Forceful coertion

Are bad and should be condemned, called out. Unionization is necessary, because by God some companies are way too comfortable with the second form of crunch.
Yeah, I believe there's a difference to be made and some people going "Hey! Guess we're all pro crunch now since Kojima does it!" are missing the point or lack any understanding of how project management works. We don't know the extent of crunch at KojiPro (though I'm guessing it's somewhat harsher than it should be and I wish we had more info like in previous cases, for proper discussion), but I do hope that no one in their right mind would defend the second type of crunch you describe here, because that's the one we've all been calling out in this forum.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Being over worked is being over worked. If they can't finish their game without crunch, why not delay the release date by a few weeks instead if it's not such a big deal.

… Are you seriously saying that working extra hours and harder for 3 weeks is comparable to doing the same for 3 months?

But yes, I agree that if they're already crunching this far out, just delay the damn thing again. No one would even be surprised.

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing a product to market always brings crunch. The crunch we need to call out is when people are passively aggressively forced to work overtime to patch together a game last second. Causing stress, poor work/life balance, and people quiting. But a game being brought to make will have crunch but no product needs to have "kill yourself for the company" crunch.
The idea that bringing a product to market requires crunch is lie born of shitty practices. There is no benefit of having crunch over a delayed released date.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for your contribution.

So because it's normal we cannot discuss it? We cannot hope for change? Nah, this is normal. Close the thread /s

No one's stopping you from discussing anything, but there's nothing to discuss in depth when we don't know the extent of the crunch. Maybe everyone is working crazy 100 hr weeks. Maybe it's an additional 5 hrs. Or 10 hrs. There's levels, but we have no concrete details to really discuss (and outside of Kojima going into detail or a dev anonymously speaking, I doubt we'll get any). This might as well be a general crunch thread

The idea that bringing a product to market requires crunch is lie born of shitty practices. There is no benefit of having crunch over a delayed released date.
It entirely depends on the product. Some release dates are flexible, some are too aligned with too many other things to have as much leeway. I think software companies should strive for as little crunch as possible, and there are definitely signs that a project is significantly behind schedule that should be addressed when that is known (to avoid/minimize crunch), but you can only plan for things so well when you're talking about incredibly complex systems on the order of years. Not to mention when you get down to the final months it's not even usually features that are the big push, but fixing bugs which are much harder to estimate for

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true yet people keeping saying it, never mind that there is a difference between months of crunch and weeks or days of crunch.

It is true, even if for some it's just the last few days before going gold or working on a day 1 patch.

Sure crunching for weeks or months is way worse but we don't even know how many hours or how much work Kojima and his team are doing, or even what he considers crunching.

With Death Stranding it seems especially bad, no? Crunch now, more than three months before launch? When will the game go gold? In two months? So that's two months of crunch? Seems pretty bad, does it not?

If it's working overtime/coming in on non workdays/letting personal health suffer, then yes, obviously it is.

We don't know the exact nature of Kojima Productions crunch culture so it could just be something simple as working harder but keeping the same hours/work days.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
No one's stopping you from discussing anything, but there's nothing to discuss in depth when we don't know the extent of the crunch. Maybe everyone is working crazy 100 hr weeks. Maybe it's an additional 5 hrs. Or 10 hrs. There's levels, but we have no concrete details to really discuss (and outside of Kojima going into detail or a dev anonymously speaking, I doubt we'll get any). This might as well be a general crunch thread

I hate the whole outrage culture this site does so often, but in this case I'd like it if his tweet get's more visibility, especially by people like Jason who can go and investigate a more into the situation, then it's a good thing.

As long as people realize we don't have enough information to really make a full conclusion, of course.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Question. Do Japanese workers go public as often as workers in the west when talking about crunch? We know it's terrible in Japan, with some offices in the past, where they'd sleep under their desk for a few hours, instead of going home.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It is true, even if for some it's just the last few days before going gold or working on a day 1 patch.

Sure crunching for weeks or months is way worse but we don't even know how many hours or how much work Kojima and his team are doing, or even what he considers crunching.
Sure, ignoring the examples (like Stygr's) in this thread or other developers that have come forward.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the whole outrage culture this site does so often, but in this case I'd like it if his tweet get's more visibility, especially by people like Jason who can go and investigate a more into the situation, then it's a good thing.

As long as people realize we don't have enough information to really make a full conclusion, of course.
It'd be awesome if he could get more insight. I loved the articles he did on Bioware

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Doesn't make it right.
Well then I expect to see a thread about this for every single AAA game going forward b/c believe me every single one of them have crunch at some point whether it's the last couple weeks or so on. Without knowing the details you can't really lob this in with some of the more severe cases we've heard about.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a tremendous example on how nowadays we as a society have too much damn time on our hands to, in the words of the glorious Bunk, give a fuck when it ain't our turn to give a fuck.

This trend of reacting and offering opinions to vague ass events or quotes with next to no context and act like we know what we're talking about is staggering.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
My god. Delay the game until next year and let your developers breathe man.
Yeah, weird right? Though there isn't enough information to start pointing fingers yet.

Also I'm left shaking my head at those who are just turning a blindeye saying this is 'normal'. Crunching 4-6 weeks before going gold is normal. This is beyond that (though unfortunately I'm sure even longer crunches are still commonplace as well).

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slow down with the knee jerk reaction and re-read what you quoted.
I'm pointing out that the situation you mentioned and development 3 months before release being referred to as "crunch" are in no way equivalent. Criticism of crunch culture is more about extended periods, not 2-3 evenings right before shipping.

Both can be avoided but chronic crunch is the more serious issue.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Well then I expect to see a thread about this for every single AAA game going forward b/c believe me every single one of them have crunch at some point whether it's the last couple weeks or so on. Without knowing the details you can't really lob this in with some of the more severe cases we've heard about.

Fairly certain if a lead dev goes on twitter to say "we crunching!" months before release, you'll see the thread posted here as well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, ignoring the examples (like Stygr's) in this thread or other developers that have come forward.

The fact Kojima volunteered this info should tell you it's probably not as horrific as you all imagine it to be.

And the post about Insomniac games said it was *relatively crunch-free* not 'completely' so even they experienced it.

One thing I can say for certainty without knowing the precise nature of his teams crunch, the conditions and working environment can't be anywhere near as toxic as Konami's during MGSV.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I work in tech and several times a year I have periods I refer to as "crunch time". I also have never worked over 40 a week in this job ever. Without additional context from someone working on this game, I'm not sure this is a revelation worth getting mad about yet.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You likely will. So? There have been several threads on various devs crunching or not crunching over the last several months. If you're not interested in these threads, move on. No one is forcing you to post.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Let me preface by saying I am not really a fan of him, nor do I have any interest in Death Stranding. I do believe that there is an error in the translation as, I don't believe he would be that full of himself to say something like others in this thread are suggesting. However if there is really terrible crunch times like what was said about naughty dog last week then there is no excuse for that.