• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima has been tired since the day he showed the release date. Always making posts with "tired", "resting", "getting sleepy" in it.
For people saying this is normal:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any preorders canceled? Lol

Most of the people outraged weren't going to buy it anyway.

But anyone who finds crunch abhorrent should definitely cancel their pre-orders.

Nah better to let the hypocrites show their asses

This thread's an exception because of the subject matter being serious, but most general threads about Kojima just turn sour instantly.

Seriously it might be healthier for all involved to ban talk of him here.

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like some of you never worked in a corporate environment. Crunch is nothing new and definitely not isolated to the gaming industry. Oh you know.... as an accountant there is frequent 100hours crunch too especially when it's tax season.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people outraged weren't going to buy it anyway.

But anyone who finds crunch abhorrent should definitely cancel their pre-orders.

This thread's an exception because of the subject matter being serious, but most general threads about Kojima just turn sour instantly.

Seriously it might be healthier for all involved to ban talk of him here.
Probably just healthier for you, tbh.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch doesn't mean much without any details. Has it been Rockstar and Naughty Dog levels of crunch of 100+ hour work weeks for 10+ months or is it more like 60-70 hour work weeks for 2-3 months. Big difference between the two.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe, someday, people will change their minds from thinking "yep, this is normal, everyone does it" to "this shouldn't be normal no matter how many people does it, there should be changes".

That every dev does it doesn't mean it's good and it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be changes. There should, and the first stop to change is to stop normalizing crunch.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some of you never worked in a corporate environment. Crunch is nothing new and definitely not isolated to the gaming industry. Oh you know.... as an accountant there is frequent 100hours crunch too especially when it's tax season.
Complacent and whataboutism, get a better job.
Crunch doesn't mean much without any details. Has it been Rockstar and Naughty Dog levels of crunch of 100+ hour work weeks for 10+ months or is it more like 60-70 hour work weeks for 2-3 months. Big difference between the two.
Nah both are fucking garbage :)

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm old fashioned but doesn't crunch time just mean the end? Like John Elway is good in crunch time. Meaning the last two minutes of a game.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

this thread is based on the vaguest of tweets, i dont think there's much to go off of lol

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Come on, fine then you'll notice he says "Still in crunch time of dev" not "starting the crunch time of dev." He has clearly been crunching before this tweet, his tweets have clearly alluded to it. You're trying really hard in this thread huh? 3 months of "reasonable crunch."
"You're trying really hard in this thread". What a pathetic comment. Get a grip.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He spent a week using this.
I'm not condemn crunch, sadly it's normal this days but if he is sick, he should take a break.

I can't speak for the rest of the team, as I don't know what sort of crunch they are or are not in, but from a psychological perspective I'm not surprised Kojima is pushing himself to unhealthy or unrealistic levels.

He likely feels he has a lot to prove with this project, far more so coming off of the horrible ordeal he went through with Konami, where his entire gaming career was in jeapordy and his reputation challenged.

His haters slandered him as someone who consistently takes too long to make games, wastes too much money and all the rest, hence why Konami was supposedly justified in getting rid of him, even when Kojima himself has come out to confirm that simply wasn't and isn't true, that he's not gone more than a few months over development schedule or budget with any of the MGS games. As a result of all these things, he probably feels even more pressured to stay on schedule and deliver something of the quality we've come to expect from him and his team, hence he's pushing himself far too hard.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, someday, people will change their minds from thinking "yep, this is normal, everyone does it" to "this shouldn't be normal no matter how many people does it, there should be changes".

That every dev does it doesn't mean it's good and it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be changes. There should, and the first stop to change is to stop normalizing crunch.
This. I thought Era was against crunch in general.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I remember Kojima mentioning that after MGS4 released, some of his staff went to have 6-month holidays. Whether that includes compensation from crunch-time or those people never got holidays in the previous years, who knows.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
" Crunching is normal calm down"

No one gonna like, look at the society that is producing this culture and maybe critique it because we can do better and move towards one that doesn't require that.

Because you know it doesn't have to be normal. We could just... do better.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
"You're trying really hard in this thread". What a pathetic comment. Get a grip.
Hmmmm...
Game is out in ~3 months, not "4+ months". When you consider it needs to "go gold" around 1 month before release that means they have 2 months to complete development on a product that's going to be printed on disks and be in a shipable state. That a perfectly reasonable time frame.
I guess anything is "possible" but this is a very low possibility. Tonnes of evidence to suggest that Sony's recent trend is to not announce release dates for games and enter into a marketing push unless they are going to ship on said day.
Kojima: "I sometimes get splash back when I do number 2"
Era: "No one does this, lets not pretend you do, everyone's juts looking for reasons to excuse Kojia-hack"

Anyone can play this game. Not sure why people make posts like this.
I never said gold was the end of crunch, I'm saying that it's reasonable why they need to be engaging in crunch right now because they have ~2months before the game goes gold.
tenor.gif

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's not so bad in this case because reasons.

If you ask me this shit is unsustainable
" Crunching is normal calm down"

No one gonna like, look at the society that is producing this culture and maybe critique it because we can do better and move towards one that doesn't require that.

Because you know it doesn't have to be normal. We could just... do better.
It's partly fanboyism driving that thought sadly.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Kojima crunching

Era now pro-crunch

This

People arguing that everyone faces crunch are ignoring that it doesn't launch until November AND the fact that any prolonged crunch is not ok. If shit isn't ready, then don't release it yet.

Will concede that we don't have enough info to truly judge, but people dismissing this as normal is not ok.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People act like "crunch" is some universal number of hours/week and that all projects which have it do so in unhealthy doses. ERA's total ignorance about how this industry works is showing again. Crunch can (and often does) just mean heads are down to complete final needed work, maybe with a bit of overtime. It's not the end of the world, and doesn't mean the same thing across different parts of the industry, and it doesn't mean anyone is being abused. The fixation with "crunch" lately has just been the flavor of the week here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
People act like "crunch" is some universal number of hours/week and that all projects which have it do so in unhealthy doses. ERA's total ignorance about how this industry works is showing again. Crunch can (and often does) just mean heads are down to complete final needed work, maybe with a bit of overtime. It's not the end of the world, and doesn't mean the same thing across different parts of the industry, and it doesn't mean anyone is being abused. The fixation with "crunch" lately has just been the flavor of the week here.
See the images in tweets above. That shit shouldn't be normal. Looks like he (and most likely his team) have been crunching for a while now.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory community generalizations, prior ban for similar behavior and numerous accumulated infractions
So even in the pro-union, "enlightened" Era, gamers are forever trash.

Also I like the "That's how things are" excuse. As if that fucking means something. By that logic, several on Era wouldn't be abhorred by murder if the murderer was someone they liked.

Jun 26, 2018
As someone who is both 2/3 the way through a (hopefully) 3 month crunch period and a fan of Kojima's games, I want people to understand that crunch is fucking awful and should be de-normalized, regardless of who's at the helm.

Hopefully no one here has actually gone from being against crunch, to suddenly pro crunch, because Kojima. That would be the most spineless thing ever.

Developers in large companies need to unionize, if this problem is ever going to be solved, all we can do is keep anti-crunch discourse going.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If a studio boss is going to crunch his employees at least he should't brag about it on twitter next to a rainbow emoji.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): inflammatory community generalizations and commentary + long history of infractions
So even in the pro-union, "enlightened" Era, gamers are forever trash.

Also I like the "That's how things are" excuse. As if that fucking means something. By that logic, several on Era wouldn't be abhorred by murder if the murderer was someone they liked.
Hey, dozens of millions of americans are okay with rape and pedophilia because their champion did it, crunch is pretty mild in comparison!

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Literally anyone elses does crunch: "This is awful. Companies should do better to make sure this doesn't happen."

Kojima does it: "Ah well, that's just how things are. Every studio does it."