• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
How would you respond if any other developer said this about his/her own game? I hope it's a great game but this is the same man that said we'd be ashamed of our words and deeds. I won't give him a pass but I also won't condemn it. I hope his fans get the masterpiece they are after though.
The thing is that Kojima has proven himself to be a terrible writer, so I doubt he has the skill to do something of any artistic merit. In any case he's at least trying something different, I'm really curious of what the outcome will be; especially since I don't think anybody in games ever had the freedom to do whatever they wanted using a big budget.
Lynch says that about various elements of his work all the time.
Oh, ok! I thought he just didn't talk about it. Thanks!

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I really am just thinking of skipping this game till it's cheap. Hopefully TGS gameplay will change my mind.

Oct 31, 2017
I really appreciate that we have someone making bold and truly original titles in the AAA production industry, and I find it really sad that for a lot of people in this thread, making something that isn't another TPS/FPS shooter about killing russians or robots is synonymous of "pretentious" or "being on drugs". It's just trying to do something unique, and I value Hideo Kojima a lot because of his will to do that.
Same. I'm happy we have someone like Kojima who is willing to try something different. People wonder why we don't get new or innovative AAA games anymore, all they need to do is look at this thread and some of the shit people in here are saying. This thread is depressing to any game dev that wants to try something new in their AAA game. People are conditioned to expect the usual around here so much so that when a visionary and an innovator like Kojima comes around they claim he's pretentious or on drugs, truly sad state for the industry.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He's the lead of the game. Just spewing nonsense lol, a slightly more intriguing Molyneux at this point

May 17, 2019
This thread:
1. People claiming they want artistic, innovative, game-changing titles, but only play AAA games
2. People having no idea what Roland Barthes meant in his essay
3. People reading too much into a interview.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm still stunned by how resistant/wary people are towards unconventional works in games when it's something every single other artform experiences and embraces. I really hope it's a mentality that continues to gradually change since this medium is just as valid (and in many ways distinct, as Kojima notes) as any other artform.

May 17, 2019
I'm still stunned by how resistant/wary people are towards unconventional works in games when it's something every single other artform experiences and embraces. I really hope it's a mentality that continues to gradually change since this medium is just as valid (and in many ways distinct, as Kojima notes) as any other artform.

People have been experimenting with form of games since 1984, but apparently they only pay attention when Kojima does it? The man is hardly innovative.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Hate it more, make people hate it more! Make em hate it so much that when it comes out and is a success they will have nothing but overwhelming hatred that will consume them!!!

Then we can have the True Death Stranding.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
People have been experimenting with form of games since 1984, but apparently they only pay attention when Kojima does it? The man is hardly innovative.
I think it has to do with his distinct position as an auteur, which is less common in games than other media, combined with his popularity and pedigree.

Oct 31, 2017
It's probably something that he shouldn't say out loud, but I think this statement is true for every creator who's working on something new. Who the hell knows if this thing is going to work? When I designed Blind Forest, I was always having second-thoughts whether mixing Metroid'ish gameplay with precision-platforming mechanics would actually work. Would those two genres actually match? Would people adapt to it? I thought it was fun, so we stuck with it... but I always thought it could totally backfire. My motivation was simply to bring better platforming to this genre, cause I didn't understand that in games where platforming is one of the main components, the platforming usually felt pretty bare-bones.

As I'm writing this, I'm already working on a completely new game where we're mixing various genres together and I love it - but we have people in the team and on the publishing side that are less convinced. Such is the nature of creativity - You see some boundaries that don't make sense to you, so you try to take things a step further and the only two outcomes are that you're either batshit insane for trying what you want to try or you're actually seeing something that others aren't seeing and you might just have struck gold.

So let's just hope Kojima is onto something :)
Thank you for sharing this with us. It's always nice to see things from the creators' point of view.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
He's the lead of the game. Just spewing nonsense lol, a slightly more intriguing Molyneux at this point
Bit in bold... Seriously? Kojima doesn't even come close to the bs of Molyneux.

I swear, the hyperbole that's becoming attached to this guy is ridiculous. He's grandiose, sure. But this comparison is all kinds of wrong.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Kojima gonna Kojima but this seems like something anyone making something new for them would say as they first start out with it. DS2 he'll understand it for sure...if there is a DS2.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bit in bold... Seriously? Kojima doesn't even come close to the bs of Molyneux.

I swear, the hyperbole that's becoming attached to this guy is ridiculous. He's grandiose, sure. But this comparison is all kinds of wrong.
In terms of saying ridiculous things he's surpassed him

His games are better yeah and he's not scamming anyone but he always says these wild ass eye rolly things like this or that you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
By no mans sky, I mean very hyped up game doesn't deliver leading to online harassment towards the dev team
Not to think some loud minority here lead you believe that , Kojima would release a blank DVD and people would still praise him . Every part of gaming communuties basically worship guy

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
The thing is that Kojima has proven himself to be a terrible writer, so I doubt he has the skill to do something of any artistic merit. In any case he's at least trying something different, I'm really curious of what the outcome will be; especially since I don't think anybody in games ever had the freedom to do whatever they wanted using a big budget.

Kojima has proven himself to be a compelling writer, despite what he writes often being ridiculous. Video game writing is daytime TV quality at best, as much as some developers(not to mention their fans) like to think they're delivering poignant examples of humanity worthy of academy awards. Don't pretend Kojima is out of some high-brow loop that doesn't exist.

While on the topic of what is ridiculous, the trend of shitting on everything attached to Kojima whenever it comes up is something of note. The man doesn't even take himself as seriously as you all seem to. Look at his history of jester like behaviour around reveals or the nature of his in-game 4th wall breaks.

What isn't ridiculous is looking forward to a game from someone who has proven time and time again that he knows how to make a game a masterpiece(even though I share the sentiment that he could fart in a bottle and some here would call it revolutionary). His projects deliver amazing gameplay, and do so while floating between various genres at once, and between humour and contemplative tone without it being jarring. He's more diverse than the other one-trick pony game directors usually celebrated here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Second, the difference here is that everyone was able to quickly grasp the concept of Blind Forest, regardless of whether or not they were actually interested in the game, while Death Stranding is still leaving everyone scratching their heads, 2 months before release.
Comparing the two is assuming that nothing in Death Stranding is completely new. Going one step further, this is an attempt in creating a new genre, and the acceptance of that doesn't happen overnight. There are probably people within Kojima Productions that are scratching their heads at some elements of the game at this stage. Scratching of heads is the expected result and the intended result. Still, the gameplay loop and the general synopsis is already out there for anyone to digest if they choose to invest some time into it, but you're not supposed to understand everything or what would be the point?

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
As bizarre as the title statement is, I do agree with what he said in the latter quotes.

I still consider him a genius that was eventually devoured by his own ego, though.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
He's clearly talking about the gameplay, so why are people here referring to the story when he said that he doesn't understand "the game"?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i, just...

source.gif

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
This game is either going to be a straight up turd or an incredible experience. There is no in between.

I'm leaning heavily toward the former but I'm still interested to see how it turns out.
It could be both.
I'm expecting a lot of different ideas that make the whole experience inconsistent in how well they all work within the game. Some bits will be fantastic and other bits will be incredibly off-putting.

It won't be a single flavour that has the consistency of smooth peanut butter and ends up being just OK.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious the game has a huge online component and the extend of that along with interactions are an "unknown".

He knows, he is trolling us in order to convince us that we are the main agent of this world he created.

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for 'strand' to turn out to be just a poor Japanese to English translation of 'always online'.

Last edited:

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
|OT| Urine Kojima's World Now

i dunno. gotta be something w/ a urine pun teehee

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima should really be careful with whimsical statements like that. They feed into a narrative that is pretty strong with some people who either criticize what has been shown so far or more importantly what Kojima is all about. I don't know to what extent he realizes it but especially in today's culture there are quite a few people who are waiting for him to fail and to be exposed.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Comparing the two is assuming that nothing in Death Stranding is completely new. Going one step further, this is an attempt in creating a new genre, and the acceptance of that doesn't happen overnight. There are probably people within Kojima Productions that are scratching their heads at some elements of the game at this stage. Scratching of heads is the expected result and the intended result. Still, the gameplay loop and the general synopsis is already out there for anyone to digest if they choose to invest some time into it, but you're not supposed to understand everything or what would be the point?

I didn't come up with the comparison, I was just responding to it.

The problem is that this game actually costs money to consume. Generally speaking, paying consumers want to know what they're paying for, so this may be a case where early adopters may have to bite the bullet and let the word of mouth go from there.

If you want to put your unfettered trust in Kojima's work and pay to gain access to his new experimental product, more power to you, but it is a perfectly reasonable position for people to not want to put their money into something that has everyone scratching their heads as to what it actually is.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
He's just saying its hard to explain the genre of game Death Stranding is. I don't see the issue with that.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Also I really don't understand the anger. Like, he isn't saying his game will have loot boxes or other types of predatory monetization. He isn't saying his game will be the greatest of all time. But he is expressing his thoughts as an artist about what he's creating and I think that's fine.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
"Death Stranding… even now, I don't understand the game," said Kojima of the PlayStation 4 release. "Its world view, gameplay, they are all new. My mission is to create a genre that does not currently exist, and which takes everyone by surprise. There is, naturally, a risk in that…"

the package delivery genre? i mean, yeah, i'm surprised & all, but still...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
He's just saying its hard to explain the genre of game Death Stranding is. I don't see the issue with that.
At this point there's a crystal clear agenda by many to show up in every Kojima or DS thread and shit it up with blatant misinterpretations of quotes, despite vocalizing they have no interest in the game.

Treat it as comedy and it becomes embarrassingly hilarious for the lowlifes that have nothing else to look forward to. 🤷🏿‍♂️