• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
He's just saying that he doesn't know how to define this game because it's something new and different that hasn't been done before...so it's hard for him to really explain it but he has to because it's a video game that's interactive even though he wants to break that barrier/limitation.

JEEZ ERA...take some reading comprehension lessons
Baby steps, we have to read the OP first.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I get what he's saying. Kojima thinks (knows?) he's created a new genre, but is unable to definitively define it just yet.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This is why we all love this guy. All of us. Like every single last person here. Nobody doesn't like Kojima.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
@Hideo_Kojima_EN
8th November 2019, 16:42

Just played Death Stranding. What the fuck is this?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Sold my ps4 yesterday because I couldn't understand it....jk I wanna play Death Stranding on the ps5 when everyone already has an understanding on the game....

Plum

May 31, 2018
I mean if you look at it both the theme and gameplay of Death Stranding seem to, from what we've seen so far, be very easy to summarise:

Theme: The importance of connections between people
Gameplay: Open-World Exploration & Traversal with Stealth/Action and Multiplayer elements

And that's fine. Themes and gameplay don't have to be incredibly convoluted for them to be good.

My concern is that, because he believes that he's making something "completely new," and that his game is deep enough to justify such a phrase that both the gameplay and theme will be bogged down by needless weirdness that, frankly, will add nothing to either the theme or the gameplay of the game. I keep making the comparison but it really reminds me of Twin Peaks: Season 3 where Lynch chose to twist a very simple story into something tedious and convoluted because there was no-one to wrangle in the 'wackiness'. Unless you're making something relatively short-form (and even then) I honestly think that throwing whatever you want out there without any regard for what it actually says is a bad way to make art.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Man, I love MGS but Kojima has been so cringe-worthy with this game lmao, his pretension is trough the roof right now with this self-image of him being a God or some shit like that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I generally think Kojima's extremely pretentious but I kind of get what he's saying about videogame makers being craftsmen but to be honest similar things probably apply to any collaborative art with large production and that includes movies.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that statement's kind of spooky for me.

The more revealed about this game, the more I think I'll just wait for a discount.

But I love the batshit crazy of Kojima's games, so... *shrug*

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
That peeing gameplay was just riveting. Truly next level stuff there. Is there place where I can brush my teeth in the game? I'd love to be able to do that too. Oh, and I'd like to see a feature where I can sort my socks. That'd be super fun. Hopefully they'll add that in DLC.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Kojima fanboy by any means, but the users I see on this board pretending this game won't be amazing or at the very least super interesting on some level are just being asinine.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just read the title and have a collective meltdown instead of reading the OP and understanding the context.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
This is not good. How can he not understand his own game.

Konami made the right decision to let Kojima go.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Getting it Day one now

j5dARTQ.gif

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you added the bolded cuz I personally have no reason to consider what I've seen so far as "amazing"
DS is very clearly an example of an experience made of the sum of its parts, and we won't really realize that until we play it. Take any particular piece of footage on it's own and nothing is super impressive or revolutionary yet, but I guarantee you once we understand the gameplay loop better, and know more about the story, it's going to feel really, really good.

You could say the same thing about something like RDR2 before it came out. Walking? Ok. Riding a horse? Aight. Shooting guys? Done that before. It's the delicate balance of all of these things in front of a dense and fascinating setting that makes it a glorious experience.

Nov 1, 2017
God i'm so completely bored with everything related to DS. I really just want it to come out already, get a 95% Metacritic or whatever (I can see Edge and anyone else pretentious wanking themselves into a catatonic frenzy over this game), do whatever amount of sales the Sony Marketing Hype Machine will generate and then fuck off and give us a break from anything Kojima related. Until he inevitably makes his next ALL NEW GENRE game that defies "categorisation", inspires endless news articles and threads and the cycle will continue.

May 26, 2018
It'd be funny to take this super literally and imagine Kojima walking around the office talking to different artists, completely confused.

"So, we're building this part of the--"
"What is it?"
"Huh? It's what you asked for."
"I don't understand it."
"What's not to understand?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be asking."
"What do you want me to do then?"
"I don't know. Keep it up. Bye."
"Bye...?"

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Man, you create threads about anything Kojima says, I don't know if it's because you are a big fan or to see the forum bashing on him one more time.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DS is very clearly an example of an experience made of the sum of its parts, and we won't really realize that until we play it. Take any particular piece of footage on it's own and nothing is super impressive or revolutionary yet, but I guarantee you once we understand the gameplay loop better, and know more about the story, it's going to feel really, really good.

You could say the same thing about something like RDR2 before it came out. Walking? Ok. Riding a horse? Aight. Shooting guys? Done that before. It's the delicate balance of all of these things in front of a dense and fascinating setting that makes it a glorious experience.

Your guarantees don't really mean anything here given that you presumably haven't played the game. I'll wait for reviews and decide from there, simple as that.

And using RDR2 as an example doesn't work for me lol, as I largely did not care for its tedious gameplay.

Plum

May 31, 2018

You could say the same thing about something like RDR2 before it came out. Walking? Ok. Riding a horse? Aight. Shooting guys? Done that before. It's the delicate balance of all of these things in front of a dense setting that makes it a glorious experience.

I think the issue there is that RDR2 got by a lot on its rather amazing writing and character-work. From what we've seen of Death Stranding I honestly don't see much else other than archetypes with weird character quirks, and after MGSV I really don't have much faith in Kojima's ability to tell an incredibly moving story when placed on his own (as he was back then).

There's also the issue where some of the 'parts' might actually detract from the 'sum'. There's a very real possibility that the game just has so much random dumb stuff in it (and the trailers that are literally just technobabble kind of points to this) that it obscures what it's actually going for. Like, you can definitely criticise RDR2's more tedious elements but you can't deny that those were there to add to the game as a whole; will you really be able to say the same for the no-doubt tens of different random terms and complicated concepts that Death Stranding has and will have?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
inb4 this game reviews well for being a piece of video game "art" since so many people in the video game industry bow to Kojima - when really it's just kind of a bad game.