• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Via VG247 & Financial Times

30fb5d4ee0189c92c0efdbdd1392f99a.png
Death Stranding's own creator says he doesn't understand the game. Speaking to the Financial Times, the video game auteur himself admitted even he can't quite comprehend his upcoming title – a star-studded action game where the focus is connection rather than destruction.

"Death Stranding… even now, I don't understand the game," said Kojima of the PlayStation 4 release. "Its world view, gameplay, they are all new. My mission is to create a genre that does not currently exist, and which takes everyone by surprise. There is, naturally, a risk in that…"

Kojima theorises that video games are in some ways the ultimate expression of craftsmanship. While he has famously been a proponent of cinematic games, he describes what he does not in terms of art but rather as a craft service. Something more in line with a sushi master, someone who creates beautiful dishes but whose goal is ultimately nourishment.
death-stranding-screen-06-ps4-us-26aug19
"There are stories being told [in cinema] that my generation may find surprising but which the gamer generation doesn't find weird at all," he says of the distinction between the art of both industries.

"If you take something that looks like a banana and give it the title 'apple', that works as art. But it doesn't apply to games. We are making things that are interactive. A banana has to be edible after you peel the skin. Cars have to be drivable. For games to be interactive and to deliver the enjoyment, there has to be a reality where there are lots of people backstage making it all happen.

"That is us – a kind of art-driven service industry."

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
This game is either going to be a straight up turd or an incredible experience. There is no in between.

I'm leaning heavily toward the former but I'm still interested to see how it turns out.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This game is either going to be a straight up turd or an incredible experience. There is no in between.

I'm leaning heavily toward the latter but I'm still interested to see how it turns out.
I'm leaning towards the former honestly. Guy sounds confused and not totally certain about his product

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is like....exactly what I want to hear.

Fuck yes. So Kojima that Kojima doesn't know.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hara-kiri rock.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like it could be a semi-joking response, but at the same time, maybe this would explain why some people are confused about the game after watching the trailers put out. If a creator doesn't know fully comprehend the game (or at least how to articulate their comprehension), that could be a barrier to explaining it to others. (Of course, trailers could also intentionally be vague to keep up mystery.)

I'm guessing it's just a semi-joking response.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao only Kojima could say this and it would get me hyped. Even if this game is bad we're in for something truly bizarre

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
lmfao

i have no horse in the race but the arguments over impressions/thoughts about this unreleased game are entertaining. this kojima guy sounds like a trip

i can not think of any other instance where a creator saying this would be immediately received positively. maybe at an art gallery

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
LOL!

But I dont think he said in the sense "IDK what I am doing", but he doesn't comprehend how it will be seen, what impact it'll have, how this genre will be called.

Maybe we'd need a better translation?

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How anyone can take everything that's been presented so far and not see this as a big budget dumpster fire is beyond me.

Happy to be proven wrong, visually it looks incredible.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It genuinely sounds like he's trying something different. Even if it's terrible, I still need to see it.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
how this genre will be called.
I mean hes been quoted as calling it a "strand game" multiple times.

I do find the part about him saying "you can call a banana an apple and that will pass as art" interesting considering all we know so far about this "strand system" is that it's basically a form of asynchronous multiplayer.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"Kojima-san...what is Death Stranding?"
"Look you have Hollywood actors and you can piss, sit and climb ladders, okay? What else do you want from a computer video game?"

hideooooo.jpg

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
"You won't ever understand this game" isn't a good selling point. Especially when the creator doesn't even understand it