• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
MOD EDIT: Updated the title and replaced the tweet with the video.

The question is asked at 7:40, and the quote starts at around 10:18.

The actual translation is: "when I first started my own production, the easiest way to make money was to create something online on an island that everyone goes and shoots each other, but I didn't want to make that."

Last edited by a moderator:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
But there's alot of failed BR games out there. Seems very shortsighted and undermines the amount of work and support that goes into Fortnite.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected.

At least Kojima heavily tries to work on subtext, themes, interesting characters and an overarching narrative in his third person shooter games. And he has delivered multiple times with that.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's an easy market to break in to at all, but hey, you do you.

It's not like "big single player third person game" is a unique thing that the current market is sorely lacking either, if you want to overly boil something down to the most basic level.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit arrogant.

There's no guarantee a Kojima BR would even take off, nevermind be super successful.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah. It has to be good and interesting as well if you want to steal that fortnite base but I get what he is saying

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy quoting Kojima thinks it was a shot at Fortnite instead of a shot at Battle Royales in general.

I know that Fortnite is the market leader, but it's not like all of the others don't exist.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah, competitive games are dumb, developers that make competitive games are dumb, everybody is dumb and soulless except him...

infinite eyeroll

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SickKlutzyArthropods-small.gif

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's saying if he made such a game it would be instantly successful, but that in today's world if you did want to make the most amount of money a Battle Royale game is probably the way to go.

Thank god he didn't go that route though.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
So easy that multiple studios have tried and failed!

Just pandering for applause there.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably some douche complained to him in an interview why wasn't this game like Freefire, Fornite, PUBG, etc. And that made his blood boil.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
He sounds more salty then trying to be edgy or whatever.

Like many have already stated, not all BR games take off like PUBG, Fortnite and Apex. The people who make these top three BRs put a ton of support into those games. It's not just easy as he says.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Do BR devs pretend to do it for some artistic merit? Of course it's for easy money.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
No lies detected.

At least Kojima heavily tries to work on subtext, themes, interesting characters and an overarching narrative in his third person shooter games. And he has delivered multiple times with that.
I detect lies.

Going for the BR market is most definitely not easy, and the competition for survival with GAAS is quite fierce. In comparison his name alone will sell single player story driven experience.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if he learned from the game he wouldn't be taking pot shots at it.

Then again supporting his games isn't a concept he does well at.

I have plenty of beefs with fortnite I'm not stupid enough to downplay what it does well compared to games like it and some nothing like it at all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do BR devs pretend to do it for some artistic merit? Of course it's for easy money.

This is basically all he's saying but people are looking for reasons to get irate.

It would've been far easier to go the Battle Royale route and chase bigger money but he went in the direction we all vastly preferred.