• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 9, 2018
But he's not though. Breaking into the BR market is very difficult. And even success can be front loaded and short lived as people migrate back to PUBG and Fortnite.

That is why watching the video for context is important, breaking into the BR market now is very difficult but back when he was just starting his studio that was not the prevailing thought as evidenced by the many copycats that tried to mimic the success that PUBG and Fortnite was having.

Really the video should at least be threadmarked, if not added to OP. That tweet is being taken as a fact that Kojima took a shot at Fortnite/BR genre.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
lc8EBJO.png

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
sad thing is, MGSV battle royale would have been amazing

konami fucked it with whatever that zombie game is called

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup soon when Kojima farts (even though it is natural and healthy to let it all out), someone out there would complain and/or be offended.

What happened to Free Speech. His statement rings true and hell I haven't played a Hideo Kojima game in ages.
Hes allowed to shit on other devs by claiming their games are just easy by the numbers dev cycles but nobody is allowed to hold him to task? Fuck that freeze peach shit. He can say what he wants but it goes both ways.

For example he could have made a relatable, strong, intelligent woman in MGS: V but that would have been hard work. By his own standards, his women characters are the equivalent of Battle Royale.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Hes allowed to shit on other devs by claiming their games are just easy by the numbers dev cycles but nobody is allowed to hold him to task? Fuck that freeze peach shit. He can say what he wants but it goes both ways.

For example he could have made a relatable, strong, intelligent woman in MGS: V but that would have been hard work. By his own standards, his women characters are the equivalent of Battle Royale.
He is not "shitting" on other devs! 😂
Fuck that freeze peach shit?
Maybe you should calm your damn tits! Seems like an overreaction from your part. Damnzz..

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Video for the new page. This is where the quote is from. Watch all of it to see what that statement was about.

This thread is embarrassing.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Ah now that muppet YongYea has his video titled saying he took a shot a battle royale.

Just fantastic.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Jokes fall flat al the time. That doesn't mean it was meant as disrespect to other developers.

All he is saying is he doesnt want to follow the popular trend.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I get this. I dont get what was jestful about this. That implies that there was something funny or a joke being made about it and I'm not sure what about it was funny or what the joke was.

The implied joke is because he isn't known for making games that are budget conscious, simple in design (dude is constantly called pretentious) or chasing profitable trends... so the joke is that he obviously wouldn't head towards a direction that would be obvious for someone looking to make money or make their lives designing an new game easy.

That's my read on it anyways.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The implied joke is because he isn't known for making games that are budget conscious, simple in design (dude is constantly called pretentious) or chasing profitable trends... so the joke is that he obviously wouldn't head towards a direction that would be obvious for someone looking to make money or make their lives designing an new game easy.

That's my read on it anyways.
Ok but thats only funny if its true then, and as many of pointed out, the BR market is not an easy market to make money in. Even games like Apex have watched their numbers drop significantly since launch.

Yup soon when Kojima farts (even though it is natural and healthy to let it all out), someone out there would complain and/or be offended.

What happened to Free Speech. His statement rings true and hell I haven't played a Hideo Kojima game in ages.
I absolutely love when people dont understand what free speech means but try to bring it up anyway.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ok but thats only funny if its true then, and as many of pointed out, the BR market is not an easy market to make money in. Even games like Apex have watched their numbers drop significantly since launch.

Hindsight tells us it's not easy, but that didn't stop a bunch of talented developers from seeing the rise of those games at the time, the simple design, lower cost of entry and amazing potential for profitablity and thinking they could all do it as well and failing at it..

I don't get the "it's only funny if it's true" line.. tons of people thought it was true. Just because it didn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't popular opinion.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When why those games were green-lighted? If making non-BR games so much profitable, why EA rushed to BR market (with BFV and Apex)? :)
Popular genre does not equal profitable game. It was obvious they were trying to capitalize on the genre but to think it would be easy money is absurd. And last I checked BFV was doing awful with player numbers and apex has dropped SUBSTANTIALLY since launch (both in terms of users and viewers). And even then youre ignoring the numerous other games in the genre that came out and died outside of EA.

Hindsight tells us it's not easy, but that didn't stop a bunch of talented developers from seeing the rise of those games at the time, the simple design, lower cost of entry and amazing potential for profitablity and thinking they could all do it as well and failing at it..

I don't get the "it's only funny if it's true" line.. tons of people thought it was true. Just because it didn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't popular opinion.
I mean sure. But he wasnt speaking from the past, he was speaking with that same hind sight were all using to point out what a silly thing it was to say that are.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I like the new thread title , it almost reads like Kojima poe-faced claimed he didn't want to make battle Royale games even before PUBG and Fortnite were even out/a thing

truly a visionary.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
There's several options for a solid BR experience at this point so you'd probably need a fresh concept and/or the clout of being a well known developer to deliver a huge hit. Three years ago this might not be the case, and Kojima DID start development on his first new IP roughly that long ago. Since he's still considered one of the most relevant and celebrated living game developers in the industry, I'm not sure how it could ring false when he says making a game with BR multiplayer would likely be an easier/less risky way for his new studio to gain tons of success compared to what he's doing with the creative direction on Death Stranding (and arguably gameplay - we still don't know the extent of how ambitious and weird the final work will be)

Last edited:

kinjx11

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
it should be interesting to see what he'll do after DS , in other words when Sony let go of him to work on a game without thinking ( i must fix the gameplay for console controllers )

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know man, after playing snake eater, Kojima got a pass from me to say whatever the fuck he wants.

PT is also one of the best horror games I have played and that was a fucking demo.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I figured he was fucking around or it was some kind of mistranslation. I lose track of how many times a Japanese dev says something, people prematurely lose their shit, then come to find out the individual didn't mean what people originally thought. Seems we have that once a month at least here

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why was the title of this thread changed to one interpretation's paraphrasing? I'm not commenting on the quality of the original title, but if you're going to change it was this really the way to do it?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never knew that not wanting to make a game in a particular genre, when he has never even made a game in that genre before, would be so controversial. Lol.

Kojima: "I don't want to make a kart racing game, why would you even ask me that."

Gamers: "OHHHH MYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD SHOTS FIRED!!!"

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima is awesome. Keepin' it fuckin' real for these lowest-common-denominator hyper capitalists who can only go "where the money is".

I love that Kojima is of the auteur mindset. That's what sets him apart in this space. He consistently presents a unified artistic vision not spoiled by focus groups, suits, the latest/greatest fads, and other bullshit like that.

Last edited: