• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Exactly. I can't believe people are actually complaining about this and calling it lazy. That's why companies in general would rather remove something like that for certain regions instead of releasing it untranslated, I guess.
Why would anyone that doesn't speak and read fluent Japanese want to try and play Snatcher if they're not already familiar with it? They're just going to be randomly clicking on kanji until they can advance to a new screen, not knowing how they did it and more importantly - they won't understand the story.

The argument of "well at least it's on there" defeats the purpose to those players that have never played Snatcher; because they're not going to be able to enjoy it in a completely foreign language unless they have the linguistic skills required to accommodate it.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
The inclusion of these untranslated Japanese games is definitely both a strange and miserly decision. I guess it's fine for games with next to no dialogue or on-screen text, but a game like Snatcher? They deserve a few lumps for this.

Maybe next Criterion will release a foreign film collection where only half the films are subtitled and expect nothing but praise. Ridiculous.

At the absolute bare minimum of effort, Konami could at least included a printed translation guide in the box.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The inclusion of these untranslated Japanese games is definitely both a strange and miserly decision. I guess it's fine for games with next to no dialogue or on-screen text, but a game like Snatcher? They deserve a few lumps for this.

Maybe next Criterion will release a foreign film collection where only half the films are subtitled and expect nothing but praise. Ridiculous.
Exactly.

Imagine if Square-Enix released a Final Fantasy compilation in the U.S. that only featured Japanese text and voice with no subtitles? The meltdowns would be insane.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably way too late... but if Sega wanted to put the already-in-English Sega CD version of Snatcher on the Genesis Mini.........

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Why would anyone that doesn't speak and read fluent Japanese want to try and play Snatcher if they're not already familiar with it? They're just going to be randomly clicking on kanji until they can advance to a new screen, not knowing how they did it and more importantly - they won't understand the story.

The argument of "well at least it's on there" defeats the purpose to those players that have never played Snatcher; because they're not going to be able to enjoy it in a completely foreign language unless they have the linguistic skills required to accommodate it.
Honestly, it's not a big deal to me.

I can live with playing the JP Snatcher with an online guide, just like I did in my teens when I imported lots of games.
I didn't play the Mega CD version, so I'm glad I'll finally play it officially.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Outside of Snatcher, what games exclusive to the JP list are too text-heavy to be enjoyed by someone without knowledge of the language?

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

So you'd honestly rather want them to remove it instead of including a version you can't play?

I just don't understand this way of thinking at all.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Snatcher, what games exclusive to the JP list are too text-heavy to be enjoyed by someone without knowledge of the language?

Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood) - Action/Platformer
Aldynes - Sidescrolling shmup
Appare! Gateball - Sports
Bomberman '94 - Bomberman
Bomberman Panic Bomber - Puzzle
Chō Aniki - Sidescrolling shmup
Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts) - Action/Platformer
Fantasy Zone - Defender-style shmup
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire - Vertical shmup
Gradius (Nemesis) - Sidescrolling shmup
Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II) - Sidescrolling shmup
Jaseiken Necromancer - Dragon Quest-style RPG
Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden) - Action/Platformer
PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure) - Action/Platformer
Salamander - Sidescrolling shmup
Snatcher - Adventure game / Visual novel
Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier) - Vertical shmup
Super Darius - Sidescrolling shmup
Super Momotarō Dentetsu II - Train Board Game
Super Star Soldier - Vertical shmup
The Kung Fu (China Warrior) - Sidescrolling action/fighter

So it looks like the problematic ones would be Snatcher, Jaseiken Necromancer, and Super Momotarō Dentetsu II (which I hear is kind of like Monopoly). Plus Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) which they're not even including on the non-Japanese models.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad they don't have region differences mostly and included Japanese only games on top of some real deep cuts in there. It's an enthusiast console so it's nice they are really catering to that audience. I hope the price is kept in line with the competition.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I can live with playing the JP Snatcher with an online guide, just like I did in my teens when I imported lots of games.
I didn't play the Mega CD version, so I'm glad I'll finally play it officially.

no.....

don't waste you time seriously. There no reason to play that game with a translator guide.... just wach a playthrough on youtube....it would be even better experience of the game IMO...

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So you'd honestly rather want them to remove it instead of including a version you can't play?

I just don't understand this way of thinking at all.
My gripe here is mainly on behalf of those that have never played Snatcher - they're not going to understand or enjoy the game on the Turbo-mini if they don't speak & read fluent Japanese.

Before I owned the Sega CD version, I played the PC engine version on an emulator and while it was exciting to see every new screen during progression - that was only accomplished by randomly clicking all the kanji options and then the sub options - and it was only after much trial and error that I progressed through the game and I didn't understand a word I was reading or hearing - that's not my idea of fun for anyone. That is the exact same way I progressed through Policenauts when I imported it back in the day and while the shooting segments are entertaining and I sort of grasped the story; I can only remember wishing that it was in a language that I could understand.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the first hacks for this was a Mega CD emulator just for the translated version of Snatcher.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I for one would prefer to get another game instead that can be played without knowing Japanese.

That's just an unrealistic expectation. The number of included games is arbitrary in the first place. It's not like omitting one game would make place for another.

My gripe here is mainly on behalf of those that have never played Snatcher - they're not going to understand or enjoy the game on the Turbo-mini if they don't speak & read fluent Japanese.

Before I owned the Sega CD version, I played the PC engine version on an emulator and while it was exciting to see every new screen during progression - that was only accomplished by randomly clicking all the kanji options and then the sub options - and it was only after much trial and error that I progressed through the game and I didn't understand a word I was reading or hearing - that's not my idea of fun for anyone. That is the exact same way I progressed through Policenauts when I imported it back in the day and while the shooting segments are entertaining and I sort of grasped the story; I can only remember wishing that it was in a language that I could understand.

Sure, but I'd still rather have something included I can't play rather than being locked out just because I'm in the wrong region. Making completely new versions of games is clearly outside the scope of this project.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Making completely new versions of games is clearly outside the scope of this project.
As is translating Snatcher's text, apparently.

I'm not asking for a full-on localization with new English voice actors; I am however hoping [in the time they have until release] Konami will create English text for the action choices and subtitles for the voiced Japanese dialogue.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
That's just an unrealistic expectation. The number of included games is arbitrary in the first place. It's not like omitting one game would make place for another.

How is it an unrealistic expectation, when that's literally what Nintendo and Sega were doing AND when even Konami will exchange the Japanese dating sim against another game for Western markets. Sure, the number of games that are included is arbitrary, but they should make sure that it's the same between all regions. With the Turbografx 16 mini that may technically speaking the case, but in reality 99,9% of Western customers won't be able to play Snatcher.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
How is it an unrealistic expectation, when that's literally what Nintendo and Sega were doing AND when even Konami will exchange the Japanese dating sim against another game for Western markets. Sure, the number of games that are included is arbitrary, but they should make sure that it's the same between all regions. With the Turbografx 16 mini that may technically speaking the case, but in reality 99,9% of Western customers won't be able to play Snatcher.

Nintendo and Sega are just omitting all the games from other regions in each product version. To me, that's way more annoying than just including everything.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Exactly.

The majority of potential buyers are probably excited to play Snatcher, Rondo Of Blood and the shmups - but you dont need a fluency in Japanese to enjoy Rondo Of Blood or the shmups - you will however, require fluency in Japanese to enjoy Snatcher.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Like some people said here. I was in the "Maybe" side but not i will surely buy one. Good stuff, i never owned a Turbografx. I'm really excited now.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

The majority of potential buyers are probably excited to play Snatcher, Rondo Of Blood and the shmups - but you dont need a fluency in Japanese to enjoy Rondo Of Blood or the shmups - you will however, require fluency in Japanese to enjoy Snatcher.

If by chance this thing gets hacked early on, would it be theoretically possible to copy all of the English text and audio from the Sega CD version to this one?

I can't imagine something like that would be easy, but I was just wondering if it was possible.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If by chance this thing gets hacked early on, would it be theoretically possible to copy all of the English text and audio from the Sega CD version to this one?

I can't imagine something like that would be easy, but I was just wondering if it was possible.
Even if it was possible, the Sega version has some extra scenes in it, so stuff would have to hacked around.

Wonder if they will edit some of the PC Engine's controversial scenes for the western release, as they did for the SegaCd version?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm really glad they don't have region differences mostly and included Japanese only games on top of some real deep cuts in there. It's an enthusiast console so it's nice they are really catering to that audience. I hope the price is kept in line with the competition.
Yeah, I never owned a TG16 so I'm not really familiar with its library, but judging from everyone's reactions in here it seems like they nailed it even more than Sega did (Nintendo's lineups are also excellent but don't really have any surprise deep cuts, except for like, Star Fox 2).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nice list! I want one just so I can have it sitting on a shelf back in the box after one play like my other mini consoles. LOL

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although little disappointed in Tokimeki not being included, I also get why for various reasons.

Honestly, relatively nice list and other then the above being swapped out, having a completely identical line up is absolutely insane. Really support this as a whole.

I'm hesitant to say day one, because of concerns of potentially botching (it's largely Sony rather than Konami, really), but as long as there's no issues, I think I might pick this up.

EDIT: In the defense of Snatcher, they'd have to back-port the translation they did a long time ago to PC Engine's version, and not sure if Konami wants to dedicate the resources to do so. Plus, remember, some content was modified on the American release back in the day, which may require re-translating.

By the way, KOU (Japanese artist and stuff, you guys know them for their work on the Shantae series) seemed concern about CERO's rating (as the collection got a D rather than a Z) and if Konami would censor anything (gore wise) in Snatcher, since there's definitely what would qualify as Banned content in there. As far as I am aware, CERO for re-releases of legacy games, tends to rate significantly less harsher compared to newer games, so hopefully Konami won't have to modify anything, but I guess we also have to worry about that as well now.

Last edited:

calder

Oct 25, 2017
TG-16 was the first console we owned that I played with my younger brothers, this is an instant buy for me and that list is actually great. Military Madness is an all-time favourite for me even if I own it on other platforms already and I'd love to play Bonk again.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, including such a text heavy game like Snatcher in this without a localization of some sorts is pretty wild, haha.

How can you expect a normal person to play through it and get anything out of it? They can't be so daft. Are they just including it to say they included it?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of stuff I'd like to see that isn't in here. Final Soldier, Cotton, Motoroader II, Neo Nectaris, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Devil Crash, Gate of Thunder, Outrun, Air Zonk, and a whole lot more.

Yet the lineup is amazing.

And having half the games being untranslated Japanese? That's so fitting, as this was the first console with a massive import scene stateside, even mainstream magazines regularly reviewed imports for TG-16.

I don't want the North American form factor now, same as then, even.

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll pull a fast one with Snatcher, and just put the Sega CD version on the system. Probably not but it is just an emulation box.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They should just use the text and voices from the Sega CD version of Snatcher - it's nearly identical to the PC engine version.

If someone uninitiated with Snatcher doesn't understand Japanese, they aren't going to enjoy playing it entirely in Japanese, since it focuses 100% on story - and reading as well as listening are required to not only follow the narrative, but also to make decisions and enjoy the game. Including Snatcher without an English translation is a foul move on Konami's part.

Something else that would have made this a must have item would have been the inclusion of the much touted and never released SuperGrafx version of Strider.

I mean, that makes sense, but it's one thing to not include it at all. It's a hercules effort to even get that game localized due to how ancient it is, and being a CD game they'd have to do some sort of magic like with the translated Rondo. Except a lot more work due to the nature of the game. They can't backport a translation based on a version with differing content and even if they did translate/subtitle it things would be from scratch. I wonder if they'll include a translation/subtitle guide for the menus or game but I doubt it. At least some people like me will be able to get through the game due to understanding japanese or menu commands but I know it's absolutely not practical for everyone. Being the one major oddball next to Momotoraru Densetsu II though is still pretty good as the rest of the games can be played regardless of language knowledge. Maybe this will encourage fan translators to translate that version and have it hackable onto the system

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If M2 isn't doing the emulation, that'll be a no-sale for me.

I wouldn't trust Konami to stare at a wall.
They always work with outside teams but the quality is always there, I wouldn't worry. M2's not the only capable emu-dev.

My guess is this project's probably with D4 Enterprise, who also handled PCE and MSX for Konami on Wii U Virtual Console. And those were well done.