• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Dude I have that exact same Mario chair! I even traced Mario to make a Luigi drawing.

i just remembered that it is a mario chair lmao

thanks for that.

So, the Turbografx-16 mini doesn't include an AC adapter - and the Hori AC adapter [sold separately for $20] doesn't include a USB cable to plug it into...does the console at least come with a USB cable??

How does a console not include a power source?!?

just plug it into your tv?

biocat

Oct 25, 2017
The TG16 was so my system as a kid. I am in Japan, so I'll grab the JP version, but I really want the big US TG16 too for the nostalgia factor.

I still have all the original pamphlets I got when I saw it for the first time being demo'd at FAO Schwarz in NYC. So excited for this one.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are there some fan translations of the JP games? I would love to have most of the games in english even if the games are playable without knowing japanese

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here's the oldest photo of me playing video games. i'm playing galaga 88/90 on turbografx-16.

1A99b.jpg

pretty sure street fighter 2 is in the SNES. lol
I love seeing pictures like this. I bet you were the only kid around with an Astrocade/Bally Professional Arcade.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Pre-ordered. Of all the systems released since the beginning of the 16-bit era, this is the only one I never owned. Played some of the games via Virtual Console, but this Mini will be a blast.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Have you charged a cellphone in the past ~decade?

But more seriously, I think most of the mini's have shipped (at least to some regions) with no ac adapter. Less electronic waste, recycle.
For $100 - it should include it, if it's required.
just plug it into your tv?
Will that power it just by using the USB cable plugged into a TV?

If so, what is the point of the "optional" AC adapter then?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Will that power it just by using the USB cable plugged into a TV?

If so, what is the point of the "optional" AC adapter then?
The NES classic, SNES classic and MD Mini all can be powered just by plugging the USB to the TV.

The AC adapter is for some people that prefer to plug them to the wall socket. And some old TVs don't support power over USB.

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It's still so weird to see the TG16 being sold on Amazon Japan's site, actually being sold - not a reseller. Such weird times.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So the UK version includes both Western and Japanese games? Amazon listing says...
Yes, that's the unique thing about the Turbografx Mini, every version includes both English and Japanese games. Thus you get Ys 1&2 in English or Japanese, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood in Japanese, Bonk's Adventure in Japanese, Bonk's Revenge in English. Bomberman '93 in English, Bomberman Panic Bomber in Japanese...it's kinda weird.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's the unique thing about the Turbografx Mini, every version includes both English and Japanese games. Thus you get Ys 1&2 in English, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood in Japanese, Bonk's Adventure in Japanese, Bonk's Revenge in English...it's kinda weird.

Weird, thanks! Apologies if this is answered elsewhere but are there still unique titles on the Japanese and Western models? Still work getting both if you want everything?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's the unique thing about the Turbografx Mini, every version includes both English and Japanese games. Thus you get Ys 1&2 in English or Japanese, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood in Japanese, Bonk's Adventure in Japanese, Bonk's Revenge in English. Bomberman '93 in English, Bomberman Panic Bomber in Japanese...it's kinda weird.

It does kind of replicate the experience of being a TG-16 owner these days. If you're actively collecting (for the past 20 years) you probably have a decent selection of import games (at least if you're not in Japan).

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
How would someone in the USA go about ordering the Japanese PC Engine?

interested in this info as well.

Is there a clear summary of the details somewhere in this thread? I saw a post mentioning there's a prime version with one extra game, do we know the game if so?

Is this available anywhere but Amazon? I don't buy from Amazon if I can avoid it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I think I might have an understanding as to the Bonk situation.
When Bonk's Adventure was released in the west, Bonk himself ended up looking very different. Konami likely decided on the JPN version for its more consistent design, since Bonk is unchanged in both versions of the sequel.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried tweeting at Konami Deutschland. Didn't get an answer so far. I'm kinda worried they won't sell it in Germany at all since there is no USK logo on the packaging. Could it be there is some indexed game on it?

Well, I was mentioning this in the other thread regarding how USK works as a whole with foreign games, but given how USK's policy is to handle rating games (have to play through, beat, while collecting footage and then conduct reviews with other people who also played through it), I wonder if Konami didn't want to provide or pay for a translator to assist with some of the games (specifically Snatcher), since it's a non-European language. Snatcher would be incredibly daunting for their reviewers to go through and probably be the biggest hurdle for the review process.

That'd be my only guess at this point.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Why's it have to be £99.99 and Amazon exclusive? I thought it was supposed to be £80 at most!

Well, I already have a real Core Grafx, so I'm not missing out on much, but that's real disappoint.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered. Of all the systems released since the beginning of the 16-bit era, this is the only one I never owned. Played some of the games via Virtual Console, but this Mini will be a blast.
Same. Pre-ordered yesterday and now the excruciating wait.

I will say I remember seeing the TG16 on store shelves back when it was still being sold. I recall seeing it at TRU in the early 90s but at the time I think it was still a bit higher priced. They were also selling the TurboXpress which I believe was $300 but could be misremembering.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I was mentioning this in the other thread regarding how USK works as a whole with foreign games, but given how USK's policy is to handle rating games (have to play through, beat, while collecting footage and then conduct reviews with other people who also played through it), I wonder if Konami didn't want to provide or pay for a translator to assist with some of the games (specifically Snatcher), since it's a non-European language. Snatcher would be incredibly daunting for their reviewers to go through and probably be the biggest hurdle for the review process.

That'd be my only guess at this point.
That is how they review the games? I thought it was the publishers that provide them with the relevant material (footage of content that could raise the rating)?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is how they review the games? I thought it was the publishers that provide them with the relevant material (footage of content that could raise the rating)?

Most ratings system, yes, but USK absolutely plays the games, and then holds a meeting on the footage they collected and make a decision from there. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's the general jist.

There's pros and cons to this system, admittedly, but it has allowed very context sensitive matters allowed for having an age appropriate rating as a result (Final Fantasy Type-0 is rated 12+ in Germany likely because of the fact they reviewed everything in the game and understood the context and message the game has, where traditionally with only select footage provided by the company, makes it sometimes harder to rate appropriate for context sensitive matters and likely would've gotten a higher rating not for understanding said context).

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
for those who want to see what the UI looks like there's this twitter thread, but my most important question is if all versions will get these anthropomorphic wandering PCEs. it's going to affect which one i buy for sure.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Looks good. I'm slightly concerned about the experience when Run+select was to reset the system and now it might be for menu access. :/

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That looks like a quality UI. It's gonna be a pain finding quality boxart and card art once this thing gets hacked.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, does the Japanese one no longer ship to the US?

Edit: Even worse, it looks like it sold out from the link that ships to the US.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Well, this is interesting. Konami just confirmed that the TurboGrafx-16 Mini will ship with "50 games," and that's split into US and JP versions. As in, the US is gonna get a TurboGrafx-16 full of original Japanese games, untranslated, alongside the American material. 24 USA games, 26 JPN games in all. This is different than Sega and Nintendo's approaches, which have region-locked their particular mini-console game selections to certain territories.

It's quite the freaking collection, with only a bit of overlap.

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

Lack of Splatterhouse is interesting on Namco's part, but also interesting to see Konami put freaking Snatcher and Rondo of Blood on here--confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so). Shame that those'll both be Japanese versions. Snatcher's official English translation on Sega CD is a treat. But, yeah, wow. Nice list all-in-all, Konami.
Sad:

- No "Fighting Street" (SF1)
- No Psychosis
- No JP Strider port with the FMV bits
- No Splatterhouse
- No Keith Courage (which wasn't good but c'mon it was the US pack-in game!)
- No Sherlock Holmes (pretty revelatory experience in 1989)

But, all of that is almost worth it just for the fact that it has Rondo of Blood. Even the so-called "Castlevania Collection" didn't include it.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am truly looking forward to the release, I check for the thread updates daily.

I do not understand why they are releasing these systems in the US with Japanese ROMS.

It makes no sense to me... I don't want the ROM for Bonks Adventure in Japanese even if the only parts in Japanese are the menus. They should only have Japanese ROMS only if the game never released in English.

I want the entire game to play the way I remember in back when I first bought the original Turbografx 16.

Is it going to stop me from buying it, no... bit it is just a little disappointment for me.

Bring it on!

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it looks like they've sold out on Amazon Japan and now you can only buy them from third party sellers at quite inflated prices.

PC Engine ¥24,800 ($229.20)

Core Grafx/TurboGrafx-16 ¥39,800 ($367.83)

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Really? How about the Core Grafx version?

I can still order the European and US versions off Amazon.co.jp but just not the Japanese version. There are two links. The first link where everyone could but needed Prime membership no longer is available and the other link which didn't seem to ship outside of Japan, now seems to work for the European and US versions as willing to ship outside of Japan.

Edit: Here's the Core Grafx version that still works:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Yeah, it looks like they've sold out on Amazon Japan and now you can only buy them from third party sellers at quite inflated prices.

PC Engine ¥24,800 ($229.20)

Core Grafx/TurboGrafx-16 ¥39,800 ($367.83)
It's too bad I cancelled my second system while I was mulling it over. I just don't have the scalpers instinct.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So, basically:
- For Europe Konami announced a price of 89.90 Euros and Amazon as the exclusive distributor.
- On July 15th the preorders on Amazon are opened with a price of 110 Euros.
- I asked Amazon why, linking the official Konami statement. They replied that the 89.90 Euros price is some kind of "promotional price" decided by Konami and that they are selling the console at 110 euros.

This is quite shady.

Not buying it.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
So, basically:
- For Europe Konami announced a price of 89.90 Euros and Amazon as the exclusive distributor.
- On July 15th the preorders on Amazon are opened with a price of 110 Euros.
- I asked Amazon why, linking the official Konami statement. They replied that the 89.90 Euros price is some kind of "promotional price" decided by Konami and that they are selling the console at 110 euros.

This is quite shady.

Not buying it.
Ahh, didn't know 'promotional price' meant 'lying'. I will have to remember that one the next time I am caught talking out of my ass.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Amazon UK have the mini console and the multitap, but no psu or separate controller for sale. Why advertise and build the mini with multiple controller support when you can't even buy the extra controllers?? Absolute madness. Does anyone know if Konami have been asked about this?