• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
oh folks can't see that gif ? :/

XQeAhN0.png

Lpnfbl4.png

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Full lineup trailer.

From GSK tweet (can't seem to embed right now):

Tengai Makyou II MARU
Galaga '88
Dragon Spirit
Genpei Toumaden
Splatterhouse
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Spriggan mkII

Last edited:

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Surprised to see more games! Not having Splatterhouse was an oddity; I'm sure people are happy that it made it in.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
The Spriggan twins, Splatterhouse and Legend Of Valkyrie are the winners on this "from back when they were Namcot" pack.

I'd rate Dragon Spirit too, if it weren't so fucking impossible.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, didn't expect them to announce even more games! Great lineup there.

Anybody know how many games have been announced in total now, minus the duplicates?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The system menu is super adorable. Love how the HuCards are getting inserted every time you select a game.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Full lineup trailer.

From GSK tweet (can't seem to embed right now):

Tengai Makyou II MARU
Galaga '88
Dragon Spirit
Genpei Toumaden
Splatterhouse
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Spriggan mkII

Nice additions! Still wish we got Legendary Axe, but this is a hell of a package.

Galaga '88 is my favorite Galaga game. Didn't Genpei Toumaden came to the US Turbografx under a different name? I know I've seen it.
Never was big on Dragon Spirit but that MUSHA style game should be awesome!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered the PC Engine mini on Amazon JP. Very excited for it. It'll be my first mini console even.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not familiar with the system. What is this?

System cards gave the system more RAM, just like the N64 RAM pack.

If you tried to play a game that needed a system card, it would give you a cool warning screen alerting you about it. You also got a warning screen if your internal memory was full.

If you want to see all the warning screens (for Sega CD too), check this out :

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with the system. What is this?

This console had 3 different CD game formats.

guide_gameformats.jpg

Originally it was release just as a console in Japan 87 and had games in form of cartridges the size and shape of credit cards these were known as the HuCARD.

In the fall of 88 a year later they released an attachment that could play games stored on CD format as well as audio CDs. The console needed a system bios and RAM buffer to play these CD based games and the early bios cards only had a RAM buffer of only 64kilobytes.
So the first CD-Rom games had the CD-Rom² logo displayed.

There were several revisions of this earlier system card and one particular game Altered Beast CD could only be played on the first bios card!

In 1991 a beefier system card known as The Super CD-Rom² boosted the RAM Buffer to 2Megabits or 256kilobytes. This was compatible will all the older titles however all the newer games that required this newer system card could not be played on the older ones so a lot of these game companies put warning screens or hidden bonus games if you tried to load them using the older system card.

Before this super CD-rom² bios card appeared the console was generally sold as a standalone system with a CD-rom unit attachment plus an interface unit all bought separately.

Around this time they released an all in one system; "Duo" which had all the components: base console, CD-Rom unit, Interace unit, Super CD-Rom² as a complete package.

Some third party game developers released their own unofficial system cards too.

around 1994 a final CD-Rom bios card known as the Arcade Card boosted the Buffer RAM to 18 megabits or 2 Megabytes and again was backwards compatible with older super CD-Rom² and CD-Rom² however games made specifically for the Arcade Card were not compatible with these older system cards and again you might find those "Easter egg" warning screens. This Arcade card was released in two flavours; Arcade Pro which had 18 megabits plus the 256kilobytes of RAM for the much older CD-Rom system, and the ARCADE DUO for the "Duo" systems.

Games released exclusively for the ARCADE cards were much fewer. However some of the late Super CD-Rom² titles had enhancements when played with the ARCADE cards.

I hope this is all correct!! O_o
21kw4mt.jpg

EDIT
I was beaten to it!

Last edited:

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
The only PC Engine game I've ever played is Air Zonk, but this remains my most anticipated mini console. And it's out around my birthday, too. Are there still Amazon preorders available?

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why parasol stars and no rainbow island? :....(
From memory rainbow island pc engine cd was one of the best versions?

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Never had one of these but PC Engine was the one I always read about in UK gaming magazines so will pick up that one.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Why parasol stars and no rainbow island? :....(
From memory rainbow island pc engine cd was one of the best versions?

Possibly some licensing issues since the pc engine version has an exclusive vocal audio track for it's ending

Song: A boy who crosses the rainbow / 虹を渡る少年. Singer: Takako Oota / 太田貴子.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
System cards gave the system more RAM, just like the N64 RAM pack.

If you tried to play a game that needed a system card, it would give you a cool warning screen alerting you about it. You also got a warning screen if your internal memory was full.

If you want to see all the warning screens (for Sega CD too), check this out :
This console had 3 different CD game formats.

guide_gameformats.jpg

Originally it was release just as a console in Japan 87 and had games in form of cartridges the size and shape of credit cards these were known as the HuCARD.

In the fall of 88 a year later they released an attachment that could play games stored on CD format as well as audio CDs. The console needed a system bios and RAM buffer to play these CD based games and the early bios cards only had a RAM buffer of only 64kilobytes.
So the first CD-Rom games had the CD-Rom² logo displayed.

There were several revisions of this earlier system card and one particular game Altered Beast CD could only be played on the first bios card!

In 1991 a beefier system card known as The Super CD-Rom² boosted the RAM Buffer to 2Megabits or 256kilobytes. This was compatible will all the older titles however all the newer games that required this newer system card could not be played on the older ones so a lot of these game companies put warning screens or hidden bonus games if you tried to load them using the older system card.

Before this super CD-rom² bios card appeared the console was generally sold as a standalone system with a CD-rom unit attachment plus an interface unit all bought separately.

Around this time they released an all in one system; "Duo" which had all the components: base console, CD-Rom unit, Interace unit, Super CD-Rom² as a complete package.

Some third party game developers released their own unofficial system cards too.

around 1994 a final CD-Rom bios card known as the Arcade Card boosted the Buffer RAM to 18 megabits or 2 Megabytes and again was backwards compatible with older super CD-Rom² and CD-Rom² however games made specifically for the Arcade Card were not compatible with these older system cards and again you might find those "Easter egg" warning screens. This Arcade card was released in two flavours; Arcade Pro which had 18 megabits plus the 256kilobytes of RAM for the much older CD-Rom system, and the ARCADE DUO for the "Duo" systems.

Games released exclusively for the ARCADE cards were much fewer. However some of the late Super CD-Rom² titles had enhancements when played with the ARCADE cards.

I hope this is all correct!! O_o
21kw4mt.jpg

EDIT
I was beaten to it!
Oh, that makes sense. Thank you guys.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting that they got two Working Designs localisations on this. Especially considering Victor Ireland has gone completely silent since Summon Night 6 released.

(Because I believe both Parasol Star and Cadash were not on either the Wii or Wii U virtual consoles?)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
First time I've seen this system in action, except for the Hi Score Girl anime of course :P

So this was out at the time of the Famicom?
Must've been amazing, the graphics are really impressive.
Famicom: 1983
PC Engine: 1987

But yeah R-Type and Legendary Axe on PCE in 1988 had quite impressive graphics for the time.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
First time I've seen this system in action, except for the Hi Score Girl anime of course :P

Famicom is from 1983, PC Engine is from 1987. So you can say that, yeah. The really impressive games are actually from the Turbografx CD.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately it launched in the US when the Genesis did so it was compared to that and the SNES.
At which point I still thought the TG16 was superior, although the gap widened as the generation moved forward and Genesis development matured. I had a SMS until Christmas 1989, so seeing the TG16 version was still pretty amazing (and shooter-wise, I think all the Genesis had was Thunder Force II and the SNES had Super R-Type, with its insane slowdown).

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

October 1987 was it's Japanese debut in a collaboration between Hudson Soft and NEC Corp.

It's certainly got a unique sound. but not overly distinct like Genesis or SNES

I'm surprised this game never made it in the games list

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
At which point I still thought the TG16 was superior, although the gap widened as the generation moved forward and Genesis development matured. I had a SMS until Christmas 1989, so seeing the TG16 version was still pretty amazing (and shooter-wise, I think all the Genesis had was Thunder Force II and the SNES had Super R-Type, with its insane slowdown).

A kid in my school had a PC Engine from Japan. Going to his house to play Nectaris was mind blowing.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Is that a Turboexpress border?????
NEC-TurboExpress-Upright-FL.jpg

Also, M2 is really showing their attention to detail by including an option to load games with the wrong card. That means the Akumajyo Dracula Peke mini-game in Rondo of Blood is properly accessible.

It was also playable in that Castlevania Requiem collection, but still.