• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo cares that the menu is so similar to it's minis.

Funny you should mention Nintendo in this pc engine thread. Hudson Soft one of the co creators of this system was Ninteno's first third party supporter for their famicom. They even asked Nintendo if it was ok for them to make the pc engine.

"But NEC Home Electronics really got excited by the idea of developing a new console.

I was still busy with Famicom game development then, so I wasn't directly involved in the whirlwind of discussions taking place, but I heard that President Hiroshi Yamauchi of Nintendo gave the idea his blessing too. "Sure, if Hudson wants to make a new console, they should give it a shot." Nintendo and Hudson didn't see each other as rivals. The market seemed big enough for everyone. And in point of fact, we continued to develop games for the Famicom".

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Double posting but one of the big news towards the end of 1991 was the announcement that Konami had become a third party developer for the pc engine. I think they were looking into the pc engine as some kind of "experiment"..

eLP7D7v.jpg

8lAZuDW.jpg

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
So, I've mostly been spacing out on this little mini console's history...am I reading things right in that we're getting both TurboGrafx-16 versions of games and PC-Engine versions of games, and this thing's got over 50 games? If so, that's pretty awesome. Will go great with my SNES Classic and the coming Genesis Mini.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've mostly been spacing out on this little mini console's history...am I reading things right in that we're getting both TurboGrafx-16 versions of games and PC-Engine versions of games, and this thing's got over 50 games? If so, that's pretty awesome. Will go great with my SNES Classic and the coming Genesis Mini.
Yes, that is 100% true.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is true. While there are SOME minor regional variations, it's nowhere near the amount often seen elsewhere. But beyond that, many Japanese only PC-Engine games are available (sometimes the Japanese version and English versions of the same game, if they both exist).

Even the Genesis/Mega Drive mini offers other regional variations of the games, which is something Nintendo and Sony kinda failed to do.

Last edited:

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Sony failed to make a quality mini console, a lack of regional variants is the least of its problems, lol.

Still, fantastic news all around for this mini system. Thanks for the info!

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, I pre-ordered the Turbo Grafx16 Mini yesterday.

I have posted here in the past... I owned the original TG16 here in the US. I also had almost all games in a 2 year period and owned the CD-ROM add-on.

So, I am excited to play these games again without a PC or Raspberry Pi.

Don't Like:
I don't like Japanese games in the US if there was a version released in the US.

I don't like the little animated robot HU card things walking around the screen.

Otherwise, freeze me and wake me in 03/2020!

biocat

Oct 25, 2017
Why no Bonk 3? Kind of strange not to include it...
Otherwise, I'm really excited with the lineup!!

Feb 9, 2018
On the one hand, I really want this.

On the other hand, I really don't want to give Konami my money. If there ever was a game company that fell from grace, it'd be them. Back in the 80s & 90s they produced some of the best third-party titles around. Today, they just sit on their IPs and use them for branding on pachinko machines, occasionally making a token effort to release actual games (such as this TG-16 mini or the recent Castlevania and Contra collections).

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I really want this.

On the other hand, I really don't want to give Konami my money. If there ever was a game company that fell from grace, it'd be them. Back in the 80s & 90s they produced some of the best third-party titles around. Today, they just sit on their IPs and use them for branding on pachinko machines, occasionally making a token effort to release actual games (such as this TG-16 mini or the recent Castlevania and Contra collections).

Well, you should support companies when they actually release stuff you want, such as this, so they hopefully get the message and continue investing in products you're interested in. I don't care much for Konami anymore either, but if they launch a product that interests me, I'm going to buy it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Just to add I was also wondering why for the US TG-16 side why they couldn't have included :

Vasteel
Dragon Slayer The Legend of Heroes
Dungeon Explorer II
Legend of Heroes in particular is a weird omission when it could easily serve as a replacement for the untranslated version of Snatcher in the west.

Feb 9, 2018
Well, you should support companies when they actually release stuff you want, such as this, so they hopefully get the message and continue investing in products you're interested in. I don't care much for Konami anymore either, but if they launch a product that interests me, I'm going to buy it.

Well, yeah. There is that. I just have this natural apprehension against giving money to publishers I don't like. But you could be right. Maybe if Konami starts making money on actual games it will incentivize them to actually starting investing more in games again.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Funny you should mention Nintendo in this pc engine thread. Hudson Soft one of the co creators of this system was Ninteno's first third party supporter for their famicom. They even asked Nintendo if it was ok for them to make the pc engine.

"But NEC Home Electronics really got excited by the idea of developing a new console.

I was still busy with Famicom game development then, so I wasn't directly involved in the whirlwind of discussions taking place, but I heard that President Hiroshi Yamauchi of Nintendo gave the idea his blessing too. "Sure, if Hudson wants to make a new console, they should give it a shot." Nintendo and Hudson didn't see each other as rivals. The market seemed big enough for everyone. And in point of fact, we continued to develop games for the Famicom".

Cool info!

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Played it at TGS today. Loved it. It sounded so good to me too.

Previous guy left it in Turbo Express mode for me though, so I freaked out at first with the shitty shitty filter.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Another little known fact about the PC Engine is that the software royalties were collected by Hudson and not NEC (at least for the hu card).
NEC had to get profits from hardware sales and the software published in house.
When NEC overshipoed the Turbografx for the US launch, it was NEC that eat out the losses while Hudson profited off the bat from the games manufactured in advance.

So in a way PC Engine was a precursor of 3DO (with the difference that the console manufacturer was just one).

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Played it at TGS today. Loved it. It sounded so good to me too.

Previous guy left it in Turbo Express mode for me though, so I freaked out at first with the shitty shitty filter.

Wait...I didn't realize there's a Turbo Express mode. That's hilariously unnecessary, but an awesome little touch. This thing gets cooler every time I hear about it.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
All versions get access to all games including Japanese correct? I have physical versions of some of these games already but its probably easier for me to play on this.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
All versions get access to all games including Japanese correct? I have physical versions of some of these games already but its probably easier for me to play on this.

i think the only difference is the Western version doesn't have Tokimeki Memorial. Kind of unfortunate as I have lots of fond memories stumbling through that game with limited Japanese.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of reasons to shit on Konami but this ain't one of them. They've picked some good and interesting games, bought in M2 to handle the emulation and have actually done something with Hudson license other than Bomberman.

Everything is pointing to this being one of the better mini consoles.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
As long as emulation is up to snuff (knowing M2 it will be) and the controller is legit, I'll continue to keep my pre-order. Can't wait for more impressions. I've never played a TG16. I just wish the NeoGeo Mini was this good. The stick really sucks (both gamepad and joystick).

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really wish this was a holiday release, I am really looking forward to playing these games.

Sorry for the bump, but I am looking for anything new. Is there anything new to report?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm very excited for this. It looks like Konami poured a lot of love into this, and I bet it'll end up being a very competent product. I love that interface.

I wonder how well it's going to sell in the West. Even growing up in the 1990s, I went my whole childhood without ever hearing of the system, and I only caught wind of it because of getting deep into retro video games as a teen.

Last edited:

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I forgot I had this preordered. I came in to this bumped thread thinking it would arrive soon, but nah.. still next year.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm very excited for this. It looks like Konami poured a lot of love into this, and it'll end up being a very competent product. I love that interface.

I wonder how well it's going to sell in the West. Even growing up in the 1990s, I went my whole childhood without ever hearing of the system, and I only caught wind of it because of getting deep into retro video games as a teen.

It's not even a general release system, right? Amazon exclusive still?

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how to order this thing, it still doesn't show up for me on Amazon (Germany). If I order it on Amazon JP I'll have to pay a lot in import taxes for sure.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to order this thing, it still doesn't show up for me on Amazon (Germany). If I order it on Amazon JP I'll have to pay a lot in import taxes for sure.

I don't know what the situation is like from ordering from UK but it's on amazon's uk site

Core grafx will be the UK/EU model

EDIT

and I think it was thanks to these guys why the core grafx was chosen for EU

1991 advert
hfIr1Ih.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that someone sells an aftermarket case to put on the Core Grafx model as it honestly just looks bad and the PC Engine looks so much better. Turbo Grafx ain't bad either.

That would be one of the more niche things that has ever existed but fuck it I want that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that someone sells an aftermarket case to put on the Core Grafx model as it honestly just looks bad and the PC Engine looks so much better. Turbo Grafx ain't bad either.

That would be one of the more niche things that has ever existed but fuck it I want that.

if They're usb powered should it be possible to use the Japanese version? Agree I just remember the original pc engine look inmy local import shop so I much prefer the look of that

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't know what the situation is like from ordering from UK but it's on amazon's uk site

Core grafx will be the UK/EU model

EDIT

and I think it was thanks to these guys why the core grafx was chosen for EU

1991 advert
hfIr1Ih.jpg
So if I'm reading this right, Yves Guillemot and other Ubisoft crew took it upon themselves to import PC Engines and PCE games from Japan, rebrand them, write instruction manuals and such, and sell them in France? Because that's incredibly interesting.