• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Was planning on walking into Bestbuy and picking one up release date. Guess that's not happening anymore since it's Amazon exclusive. Terrible timing since I'm going to be away from home when it's released :(

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad they're releasing an (almost) identical line-up across all regions, even if it means that some games aren't really playable unless you can read Japanese. I hate the fact that I want the MD Mini Asian games, but I'm stuck with the Euro version unless I import.

That said, how many are actually playable without knowing Japanese? Here's the full PCE list not including TG16 games or the two Japan exclusive games (we get Salamander in exchange, so not bad):

Here you go, as a PCE nut this should help
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo- Very Playable (JP voices)
  • Aldynes- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Appare! Gateball- Very Playable (JP sport, but it's super simple and fun)
  • Bomberman '94- Very Playable
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber- Playable (How-to-play has super heavy JP Voices/text)
  • Chō Aniki- Very Playable
  • Daimakaimura- Super Playable (Only Japanese is at the ending)
  • Dragon Spirit- Super Playable (Barely any Japanese)
  • Dungeon Explorer- Very Playable
  • Fantasy Zone- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Galaga '88- Super Playable (Only subtitle in Japanese)
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire- Very Playable
  • Gradius- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō – Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer- Not Playable (Super heavy Japanese)
  • Nectaris Not playable (Super Heavy Japanese)
  • Neutopia- Sorta playable (Heavy Japanese, easy controls)
  • Neutopia II- Sorta Playable (Heavy Japanese, easy controls)
  • Ninja Ryūkenden- Super Playable (English available via cheat code!)
  • PC Genjin- Super Playable (only signs in Japanese)
  • Salamander- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (Very Playable (JP cutscenes)
  • Snatcher- Not Playable (The second most japanese heavy on the system as it requires knowledge of all the Japanese languages AND voiced lines.)
  • Spriggan Mark 2- Very Playable (JP Cutscenes)
  • Star Parodier- Super Playable (Japanese grunts and sounds, nothing important and basic japanese knowledge can translate these)
  • Super Darius- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II- Impossible (Even as one who knows some spoken Japanese and hiragana... This is pretty much impossible to play. You have to be born in Japan to really get anything out of this, akin to that Quiz game on the Genesis mini. This is a board game with lots of management and voiced actions, so it'll make your head hurt even if you're a native speaker.)
  • Super Star Soldier- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans- Kinda Playable (Japanese text for your score and in-game tips which are crucial to beat the game, but the game itself is simple
  • The Kung Fu- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie- Very Playable (heavy Japanese but the game is so linear that you won't ever mess up due to it)
  • Ys I・II - Very Playable (Japanese heavy text, but you don't need to do any crazy puzzles or anything so if you know what the controls are you can still beat it this way! I beat Ys III and IV in Japanese with only Hiragana knowledge and never got stuck.)
Those are my evalutations of the PCE only games. Only two are a major problem.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
While the list is great people saying it has almost every worthwhile game are wrong

There are so many amazing games missing from that line up. I urge everyone to play them on original hardware (or emulated) since they aren't available anywhere else (Download, download 2, Dead moon, Rayxamber 2, Rayxamber 3, Coryoon, Magical Chase, Liquid Kids, Final Soldier,Gunhead and so on)

With that said I have the JPN and PAL versions on preorder, you're never catching me with that ugly american release.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Here you go, as a PCE nut this should help
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo- Very Playable (JP voices)
  • Aldynes- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Appare! Gateball- Very Playable (JP sport, but it's super simple and fun)
  • Bomberman '94- Very Playable
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber- Playable (How-to-play has super heavy JP Voices/text)
  • Chō Aniki- Very Playable
  • Daimakaimura- Super Playable (Only Japanese is at the ending)
  • Dragon Spirit- Super Playable (Barely any Japanese)
  • Dungeon Explorer- Very Playable
  • Fantasy Zone- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Galaga '88- Super Playable (Only subtitle in Japanese)
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire- Very Playable
  • Gradius- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō – Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer- Not Playable (Super heavy Japanese)
  • Nectaris Not playable (Super Heavy Japanese)
  • Neutopia- Sorta playable (Heavy Japanese, easy controls)
  • Neutopia II- Sorta Playable (Heavy Japanese, easy controls)
  • Ninja Ryūkenden- Super Playable (English available via cheat code!)
  • PC Genjin- Super Playable (only signs in Japanese)
  • Salamander- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Seirei Senshi Spriggan (Very Playable (JP cutscenes)
  • Snatcher- Not Playable (The second most japanese heavy on the system as it requires knowledge of all the Japanese languages AND voiced lines.)
  • Spriggan Mark 2- Very Playable (JP Cutscenes)
  • Star Parodier- Super Playable (Japanese grunts and sounds, nothing important and basic japanese knowledge can translate these)
  • Super Darius- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II- Impossible (Even as one who knows some spoken Japanese and hiragana... This is pretty much impossible to play. You have to be born in Japan to really get anything out of this, akin to that Quiz game on the Genesis mini. This is a board game with lots of management and voiced actions, so it'll make your head hurt even if you're a native speaker.)
  • Super Star Soldier- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans- Kinda Playable (Japanese text for your score and in-game tips which are crucial to beat the game, but the game itself is simple
  • The Kung Fu- Super Playable (No Japanese)
  • The Legend of Valkyrie- Very Playable (heavy Japanese but the game is so linear that you won't ever mess up due to it)
  • Ys I・II - Very Playable (Japanese heavy text, but you don't need to do any crazy puzzles or anything so if you know what the controls are you can still beat it this way! I beat Ys III and IV in Japanese with only Hiragana knowledge and never got stuck.)
Those are my evalutations of the PCE only games. Only two are a major problem.
That's interesting, cheers! I've updated my post. I think Snatcher is the one that people will miss most, but considering the best way for English speaking people to experience the game is the Mega CD, it's not a big deal.

Most of the other problematic games have English versions, and I don't think many will bemoan the loss of the quiz game!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
While the list is great people saying it has almost every worthwhile game are wrong

There are so many amazing games missing from that line up. I urge everyone to play them on original hardware (or emulated) since they aren't available anywhere else (Download, download 2, Dead moon, Rayxamber 2, Rayxamber 3, Coryoon, Magical Chase, Liquid Kids, Final Soldier,Gunhead and so on)

With that said I have the JPN and PAL versions on preorder, you're never catching me with that ugly american release.
Ouch, Coryoon and Magical Chase have to be my favourite titles after Bonk's Revenge.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Here is a 30 minute video from SegaLordX going over the games of the mini. Not sure if people are familiar with this channel, but it's great for obscure sega content.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so torn on whether to buy this

me and my bro put countless hours into this system

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018

With that said I have the JPN and PAL versions on preorder, you're never catching me with that ugly american relea mse.

Gunhed (aka Blazing Lazers) is on the mini.

Coryoon, Magical Chase... both go for more than $500 now.

Oct 25, 2017
The next issue of Retro Gamer magazine has a cover feature on the PC Engine Mini. Should be out on shelves in a few weeks. Subscriber cover below.

I'm gonna do that thing where I talk about how I wish they were releasing the PC Engine Mini in the UK and how funny it is that a UK based magazine is covering the version that won't be released over here.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
The next issue of Retro Gamer magazine has a cover feature on the PC Engine Mini. Should be out on shelves in a few weeks. Subscriber cover below.

I'm gonna do that thing where I talk about how I wish they were releasing the PC Engine Mini in the UK and how funny it is that a UK based magazine is covering the version that won't be released over here.

Isn't that the Core Grafx we're getting in the UK?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Gunhed (aka Blazing Lazers) is on the mini.

Coryoon, Magical Chase... both go for more than $500 now.
The physical retro market is not in good shape. Shops will sometimes sell about 50%-100% over ebay, and on ebay games will sit and be relisted at a certain price while the same games are more frequently bought at probably about 15-25% lower than what you typically see if you type it in (so its a matter of waiting for when someone not out of their minds from greed decides to list the item). Some prices are just plain crazy, and the usual "supply demand" reasoning doesn't make much sense since most high priced items will not immediately be moved and there's no additional pressure from limited inventory space for listers to actually do reasonable discounts if the item is just sitting there.

I'm just glad that there are some expensive titles on the mini at all. I have Neutopia, but I was never fond of how the sequel looked and played presentation wise, as it felt "cheaper" to me for some reason. I'm sure as hell not spending between 100-200 dollars on it. I'm willing to give it the ol college try on this device though.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the Core Grafx we're getting in the UK?

konam-TurboGrafx-16.jpg

I see what you mean. The cover design looks like a cross between the two designs.

After thinking more about it I cancelled my Amazon UK pre order a few weeks ago. I love the idea of the Mini but I'm not sure it's worth £100.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
konam-TurboGrafx-16.jpg

I see what you mean. The cover design looks like a cross between the two designs.

After thinking more about it I cancelled my Amazon UK pre order a few weeks ago. I love the idea of the Mini but I'm not sure it's worth £100.
Yeah it's kinda hard to tell since they've aped the Japanese SNES box design on that Retro Gamer cover for some reason. No idea why.

Still, I'm glad we're getting the Core Grafx - I already have the larger version so it'll look good on the shelf. Still undecided if I'll keep my preorder or not. Probably just end up forgetting about it and being surprised when it turns up.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty hype for the PC Engine mini. Always wanted to have an actual PC Engine but never had the means to get one. So the mini version is the next best thing. Pre-ordered it the day it was available on Amazon Japan.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
Oddly enough my preorder at Amazon UK has disappeared. I was just about to cancel it and it no longer shows in my open orders. It's not in my list of cancelled orders either. It might be worth checking your order status if you ordered from Amazon UK.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oddly enough my preorder at Amazon UK has disappeared. I was just about to cancel it and it no longer shows in my open orders. It's not in my list of cancelled orders either. It might be worth checking your order status if you ordered from Amazon UK.
It didn't appear on my open orders page, but then it reappeared when I went to the product's page...

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My order in the US is still there and I want news now... we are basically 3 weeks away and I would think there would be more hands on previews or early reviews...

I cannot wait to plug this thing in and play games I loved on the original.

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Mine still appears in open order on Amazon UK (release date March 19th). I'm definitely getting nervous about the lack of updates/coverage though. £100 ain't cheap for a mini console...

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Earlier previews have said the emulation is spot on and it runs smooth. So, $100 is not much in my eyes... but not everyone lives with the same type of money situation.

But I would really love to see new previews... actual hands on that can be videoed...

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Earlier previews have said the emulation is spot on and it runs smooth. So, $100 is not much in my eyes... but not everyone lives with the same type of money situation.

But I would really love to see new previews... actual hands on that can be videoed...

Yeah, agreed. I'd like a hands-on with someone like Peter Brown at GameSpot or Jeff Gerstmann at Giant Bomb.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
OK... now my silly question.

Why don't they have an officially licensed 'extra' controller? I'd want a matching black one to match the one that comes with the system.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got mine pre-ordered and I'm stoked as hell but still very disappointed it doesn't come with Bloody Wolf. :(

Still a great smattering of games.

I never had the chance to play Snatcher and I'm actually surprised its inclusion hasn't garnered more attention here given how hallowed that game is. (Not to mention how expensive it is to track down a copy)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
maybe it's a .. they'll hack this thing in a few days anyway and someone will put out a language mod ... type of thing
If anything what will happen is "someone will put retroarch on the thing and you can play the english version using a megadrive/mcd emulator".

But if you go down that road chances are you already have 100 pieces of hardware already that you can do the same thing with.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, it's genuinely bizarre that they didn't replace it with Legend of Heroes. I get that something like Cosmic Fantasy II replacing Snatcher might be a little dicey (they have Working Designs represented through Cadash but Telnet is uninvolved), but all major parties involved with that release of Legend of Heroes are involved with this thing so that should have been a layup for Konami, especially with interest in TLoH being what it is now.

Aug 12, 2019
Huh, I hadn't been paying attention to this thing, but it looks really solid. Any first impressions from it yet?

Also, how does this not have Gate of Thunder on it?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine pre-ordered and I'm stoked as hell but still very disappointed it doesn't come with Bloody Wolf. :(

Still a great smattering of games.

I never had the chance to play Snatcher and I'm actually surprised its inclusion hasn't garnered more attention here given how hallowed that game is. (Not to mention how expensive it is to track down a copy)
Snatcher PCE sells for peanuts

You're thinking of the US/Pal Mega cd release

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I hadn't been paying attention to this thing, but it looks really solid. Any first impressions from it yet?

Also, how does this not have Gate of Thunder on it?
There were quite a few videos/articles around Tokyo game show last year. All impressions are very positive that I have seen, with emulation being excellent. Nothing has come out regarding the final build though.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
That seems like a very odd choice. Did they ever bother explaining why they are releasing Japanese-only versions in the West?

The feedback the Japanese producer got from Konami US/EU was that people who owned TG16/PCE back in the day owned and played a lot of imported Japanese games, so they shouldn't hesitate to include them here.

There are certain text-heavy games on the PCE Mini that are not included on the TG16/Coregrafx Mini but they made an exception for Snatcher, probably because they thought overseas players would complain if they didn't get it, even if they can't actually read or enjoy it untranslated.