• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
PC Engine LT mini please. I don't have $1500+ to spare to buy a real one.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
you can tell this board is US centric when they post stuff like this. You know the PC Engine was chief rival to the Super Famicom in japan, right? It outsold the genesis. The way we, in the west, think of the Sega Genesis, they think of the PC Engine in Japan. That's why they have TWO japanese versions and only one US version here.

I think it's a matter of the board being too young. They're more familiar with the mainstream SNES/Genesis stuff that have been rereleased a thousand times. Turbografx is alien to them because it pretty much went away at the end of it's generation.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
About a year before I got my Turbo Duo for Christmas, I bought a Turbo Grafx 16 from ebay. This must have been around 1998, maybe early 1999, and Blazing Lazers was the very first Turbo Grafx game I got. I still have that copy. Back then, it was dirt freaking cheap, like $5 complete in box. Looking on ebay it's going for like between $70 and $130 now, haha. Watching the market for PC Engine/Turbo Grafx games go insane over the years has been funny.
Real McCoy and all. ;)
I think I have 5 cards of the game due to various acquisitions and purchases ( and even one left by a roommate).
PC Engine LT mini please. I don't have $1500+ to spare to buy a real one.
I passed on one years and years ago when it was only 80,000¥, sold as-is, boxless, slightly yellowed, and a more of the screen not really working. It's cool, but even for that price, needing work, I didn't need it that bad.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I *love* the PC Engine but already its library isn't the vastest so why keep the best/most famous games out of it?

———

The comments on this thread are absolutely terrible, zero respects for a great console.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I actually prefer the NA design. The others look like pieces of something that broke off. But again I have no nostalgia for it so maybe it's a "you had to be there to understand" thing.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I actually prefer the NA design. The others look like pieces of something that broke off. But again I have no nostalgia for it so maybe it's a "you had to be there to understand" thing.
I had the US system when it came out and it was fine but it felt huge when you attached the CD-ROM to it. That's when I saw the better design of the JP version.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about pearls before swine. This is a totally unexpected treat. I had one childhood friend with a TG16 and it always had an air of mystery surrounding it. A chance to explore the library without investing in the hardware, recapping it, expensive games, etc all sounds fantastic to me. Just don't screw up the emulation.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Going only by japan;
Famicom debuted in 1983
Sega Master System/Mark 3 in 1985
PC Engine 1987
Mega Drive 1989

both the famicom and pce had 2 face buttons with sega one upping them by having 3 buttons on their controller xp

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Rondo is shown in the background montage in the trailer for the NA version as well, even though it hasn't been announced yet. It'll probably come to all versions of this product.

Yeah, it's weird that the Japan games in the OP are listed as "Japan-exclusive" since two of them are already part of the North American list...
I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't get Bonk 1, Rondo, and probably even China Warrior (I like China Warrior...).

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
you can tell this board is US centric when they post stuff like this. You know the PC Engine was chief rival to the Super Famicom in japan, right? It outsold the genesis. The way we, in the west, think of the Sega Genesis, they think of the PC Engine in Japan. That's why they have TWO japanese versions and only one US version here.

I actually don't think both are meant for Japan. Isn't the Coregrafx Mini for release in European regions and the PCE Mini for release in Japan?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Oh, this is cool! I don't know that I've actually ever played the TG16... I certainly didn't own one and I don't recall knowing anyone that did. So... I'm in for this. I really like the look of the PC Engine, so I may be picking up both a PC Engine mini and a TG16 mini!

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
....SURE ! That is a massive surprise. The PC engine is a great gem that not a lot of people in the west know about. I'm absolutely surprised and kinda delighted Konami is coming out with this, because that's deffo a console which merits the "bring it back out" treatment.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Oh, this is cool! I don't know that I've actually ever played the TG16... I certainly didn't own one and I don't recall knowing anyone that did. So... I'm in for this. I really like the look of the PC Engine, so I may be picking up both a PC Engine mini and a TG16 mini!
If this thing has Legendary Axe and Bonk's Adventure those are two that immediately come to mind you gotta try. Heard plenty of great things about R-Type and of course Ys will be fun to experience the game at it's roots.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I saw on Twitter something about "Japan gets different games", and I double checked the OP. The image with Rondo. Why would they announce it as separate if it was coming?
I did miss something. There are 6 totally different titles announced for the JPN version, which include Dracula X. Gonna have to grab both, now.[/QUOTE]

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
I think it's a matter of the board being too young. They're more familiar with the mainstream SNES/Genesis stuff that have been rereleased a thousand times. Turbografx is alien to them because it pretty much went away at the end of it's generation.
Not to mention that the TurboGrafx was never properly released here in Europe.

Our Mega Drive/SNES companion system was Amiga. It was only during the "internet era" that most of us learned about the existence of the TurboGrafx.

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
It really like this won't have much success outside of people who have nostalgia for it, which I can understand. But to try to explain why I have such a powerful nostalgia for the PC Engine I will explain how it started.

I went to buy Ninja Sprit for the Commodore 64, my gaming system of the time. It looked like this:

And as I had my C64 game in hand I passed next to a TV with Ninja Sprit on PC Engine in the very same shop. It looked like this:

You can imagine how the shock it was! And the C64 version is a good game, I never regreted buying it, but it planted the seed of the PC Engine in me forever!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
they announced several cd based games at the conference, including Rondo and Ys I & II, but only for the JPN machine.

The PC Engine CD isn't like the Sega CD, it's really not new hardware, just a new medium. The PC Engine basically sees CD games as very large cards, it's not like the sega CD where it has additional co processors and stuff and is thus harder to emulate. The difference between emulating a PC Engine and a PC Engine CD is really not much at all.
I thought Ys 1&2 were announced for US as well? Also, not including Rondo on US version is a terrible move.

I am not sure why I am all excited about this. Maybe because I have never had this hardware unlike Nintendo's or Sega's fare. Got several systems setup for emulation already hooked up to TV and yet here I am, excited fo

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Being an EU peasant I'm really excited for this. Only played one or two PCE games thanks to the Wii, so hoping the line up is pretty solid! Amazed Konami remembered that it bought Hudson and not just Bomberman, so wonder if a few more things will see a revival from the other companies they've absorbed.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I hope that Konami asks whoever ported the PCE games to the Wii/U/PS3 to work on this mini console.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
My scratched-up Copy of China Warrior is inexplicably sitting in front of me.
I used to sit in Toys R Us and stare at the Duo all the time.
When I found a TG16 in a pawn shop, I went on a mad chase to figure out how to get it!
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones was demo'd in... BeST or Brendles all the time? It and Altered Beast Genesis became life-long appreciations for me from those days.
So much so, while sick at home from school one day, Sesame Street had a segment called "Alpha Quest" which became tied to Keith Courage for me from that point on.
I'd love to play Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu again!
The loss of TG16 was one of my saddest points to the Wii shop closure. The only TG game I beat on the console was Ys 1. 2nd closest was Neutopia. My brother and I tried q few good times on Dungeo

My memories and experiences with the system are odd and scattered! But... that makes it all the more exciting to actually get hands on again. As many in this thread have noted, as great as many of the other Mini Systems are... a lot of the games on them have had availability in many other, easy to reach ways over the years. This console is FULL of things that are locked to much more finicky hardware, barely ever re-released, and all sit in a weird area where they're something between SUPER versions of 8 bit NES releases, highly animated, oddly smooth, or with sprite sizes that other systems rarely even messed with. It's loaded with the kind of loud, colorful, "labor of love" design philosophies that I feel a lot of modern takes on classics ignore, or never understood.

I'd love it if they'd just give into the fact that not many people are familiar with a LOT of the library of this console (and adjacent consoles), especially not outside of Japan. And thus, they'd just fill it with EVERYTHING they could get their hands on. Just forget about if it's readable, recognizable, or popular. Put like... 80 games on it, it's not like they'll do this again, lol. Gimmie Flash Hiders, which I still inexplicably hum the music for! Gimmie PC-FX's Battle Heat, no one will know the difference! (I just wanna own a copy of such an oddity, please?) Sneak the new official US releases of Tokimeki Memorial and Snatcher onto the modern markets in the STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE! Why don't any of these systems ever come with a Western-accessible KiKi KaiKai / Pocky & Rocky... Oh, and I'd love to see Shockman. One of the early titles to really try "2 Player Megaman"!

I'm so glad Hudson's wider range of work gets some appreciation for once. With Multiplayer already confirmed for Dungeon Explorer (which I think is a super awesome improvement upon Gauntlet, btw) I hope we get every Bomberman too...

*Ahem* Yeah. There's a great amount of nice stuff if it sticks to the reasonable... and completely crazy if it stretches itself. With an E3 year full of some really Diehard Fan-centric E3 announcements, this could be one of the best, if they put some effort into it.

Cucurbitacée

Oct 28, 2017
Frankfurt am Main
There probably won't be both Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder at the same time. I'd rather have have Winds of Thunder as I still play it quite often; but if I remember correctly Gate of Thunder was bundled with the Duo in USA, so it may have more chances to get added to the list.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really like this won't have much success outside of people who have nostalgia for it, which I can understand. But to try to explain why I have such a powerful nostalgia for the PC Engine I will explain how it started.

I went to buy Ninja Sprit for the Commodore 64, my gaming system of the time. It looked like this:

And as I had my C64 game in hand I passed next to a TV with Ninja Sprit on PC Engine in the very same shop. It looked like this:

You can imagine how the shock it was! And the C64 version is a good game, I never regreted buying it, but it planted the seed of the PC Engine in me forever!

Here's another good example, this is the C64 R-Type, which is considered an extremely good port by one of the biggest coding gods on the platform, Manfred Trenz:

Compared to another 16-bit version, which was also considered good at the time, the Amiga port:

And here is the PC Engine Version:

The difference was that the Amiga was about $1000 at the time while the Turbo Grafx 16 was $199!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There probably won't be both Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder at the same time. I'd rather have have Winds of Thunder as I still play it quite often; but if I remember correctly Gate of Thunder was bundled with the Duo in USA, so it may have more chances to get added to the list.
While I have both CDs of LoT, I prefer to listen to the US release cuz it has less/no voice work on certain music tracks.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I am hoping they are saving the English localized version from the PSP game as a final surprise but this does have me worried too. I cannot handle another upsetting situation like no MUSHA for another mini console!
Looking at the promo video there is the opening video of Rondo of Blood in the background. The PCEngine and TG16 seem to share the same background clips as well, which seems either lazy or both systems can expect to get similar titles. Despite some titles being labeled "JP Exclusive", we're both getting Dungeon Explorer, so I wouldn't rule it out.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized this means we also are getting usb PC engine pads. Hope they sell separate to get one for my PC :O

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the surprise they were going to announce? I wasn't present when we reacehd the time. Or is it something else?