• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If they'll also include Japan only games then Shubibinman 3 would be a good candidate.
Graphics is very good and gameplay is nice if a little uninspired (if only the level design had the same level of attention the graphics received ...).

hqdefault.jpg

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So what could be an excellent 'lost' game to add to this device? Like Star Fox 2 and Darius/Tetris MD?

My biggest hope is the PSP English version of Rondo of Blood, but I am sure plenty of people here have some good ideas too.
Only notable unreleased games I can really think of regarding PCE along these lines are Space Fantasy Zone and PC Cocoron, both of which seem pretty unlikely despite both being complete or near complete.

I know TTI (Hudson) also had a bunch of localizations in the works that got canceled including Space Parodier (as Fantasy Star Soldier), Bomberman '94 and Ys IV but no idea how far any of them got.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The PCE CD was just a storage device to hold large games. The CD Unit itself didn't provide any hardware upgrades at all.
CD Unit didn't contain additional chip however it had a hardware upgrade under the form of more RAM available.
System Card v1.00, v2.00, v2.10 had 64kB of additional RAM.
System Card v3.00 had 256kB of additional RAM.
Arcade Card had 2MB.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
CD Unit didn't contain additional chip however it had a hardware upgrade under the form of more RAM available.
System Card v1.00, v2.00, v2.10 had 64kB of additional RAM.
System Card v3.00 had 256kB of additional RAM.
Arcade Card had 2MB.
I know, this was managed through the card port (I have system cards for 2 and 3 aka super system card)

The arcade card is way too expensive though

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What's the verdict on the Valis series? I only know of it through HG101, but I'm open to hear more impressions on the series.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The Valis games are pretty solid. Part 3 is my favorite, but I think it's because it was the only one I played when I was younger, so it's got the nostalgic edge.

Too bad the franchise has been in the hands of some hentai publisher for over a decade now.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the verdict on the Valis series? I only know of it through HG101, but I'm open to hear more impressions on the series.
The weaker games lower the series' reputation but Valis III, IV, and the remake of Valis I on PCE CD are all really good if you're a fan of Castlevania-ish action. I probably like III the most. If you don't have access to a Turbo CD, the Genesis/Mega Drive version of III is the next best one. It has some missing content but it plays just as well and even some of the cutscene graphics look a bit better which is surprising considering it's on cartridge.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Super epic games that I'm glad I imported on my PSP a month ago. Music's great and they're decent platformers. II is super easy but has two cheap levels to make up for it, while 1 is a lot more balanced but also pretty hard. No idea about III or IV but I heard IV was the worst/most bland.

The Valis games are pretty solid. Part 3 is my favorite, but I think it's because it was the only one I played when I was younger, so it's got the nostalgic edge.

Too bad the franchise has been in the hands of some hentai publisher for over a decade now.

Actually they aren't. Not for a long time. After that garbage and icky spinoff the rights were sold to Sunsoft who rereleased everything for the PROJECT EGG service and the two aforementioned PSP ports. So it's possible!

Why is doing this easier than an MGS or Silent Hill collection? And why will this make them more money than either of those things?

because unlike MGS, the TG16 brand hasn't been milked to death, and a lot of the good games have never seen a rerelease before or outside of the Wii VC, especially in the states. Ginga Sapphire has NEVER been rereleased anywhere and it's stupidly hard to buy. A good majority of games on the system I argue are far better than a lot of MGS/Silent hill games and it even has some of Konami's best games on it like Rondo, Gradius II and Detena Twinbee. TG16 fans like myself have been dying for them to do something with Hudson besides a few Wii U VC rereleases and Bomberman R , so to see this a reality is VERY amazing since it means the company they basically sat on is getting used again. Metal Gear got the PS3 legacy collection which was equally good, so now it's TG fans' turns.

So yeah, TG16 fans definitely have a lot to celebrate and everyone with a remote interest in retro games needs this since Ys I II is already one of the most godlike games ever created and it's confirmed to be on here. If you want Konami to do more cool stuff, then I think giving this a shot is a good thing and it's honestly the best idea they've had all decade IMO. Could have easily left Japan's second favorite 16 bit console to rot but they thankfully won't.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I haven't checked every page, but I didn't see anything like this yet. This is a list of all Wii/Wii U TG-16 Virtual Console games released in North America. So I'd say these are the most likely to be curated from to make an appearance on our units. Hopefully we'll see more imports, though. More of these were released on Wii (63) than Wii U (40), but a few were Wii U-exclusive, and I've noted them. Some have since been delisted, I've left notes about those since they might or might not affect current availability. The Irem stuff was once delisted but got relisted a few years later, so they're not marked.

Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Battle Chopper (Wii U only)
Battle Lode Runner
Blazing Lazers
Bloody Wolf (delisted on March 1, 2012)
Bomberman '93
Bomberman '94
Bomberman: Panic Bomber (Wii U only)
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bravoman
Break In
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Chase H.Q.
Chew Man Fu
China Warrior
Cho Aniki
Cratermaze
Dead Moon
Detana!! TwinBee
Devil's Crush
Digital Champ: Battle Boxing
Double Dungeons
Dragon Spirit
Dragon's Curse
Drop Off (delisted on March 1, 2012)
Dungeon Explorer
Fighting Street
Final Soldier
Galaga '90
Gate of Thunder
Gradius (Wii U only)
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou
Image Fight (Wii U only)
Image Fight II (Wii U only)
J.J. & Jeff
Legend of Hero Tonma
Lords of Thunder
Military Madness
Monster Lair
Moto Roader
Necromancer (Wii U only)
Neutopia
Neutopia II
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Ordyne
Power Golf
Psychosis
R-Type
Riot Zone
Salamander (Wii U only) (same basic game as NES Life Force)
Samurai Ghost
Shockman
Silent Debuggers (delisted on March 1, 2012)
SimEarth: The Living Planet (delisted in July 2017)
Soldier Blade
Splatterhouse
Star Parodier (delisted in March 2014)
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise
Super Star Soldier
The Dynastic Hero
Victory Run
Vigilante
World Class Baseball
World Sports Competition
Ys Book I & II
Cool! Thanks for this.

Now it would be cool to get a list of PCE games released on JP PSN...

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly Vasteel, Sherlock Holmes, JB Harold Murder club and DragonSlayer the legend of heroes are not on that USA list :(

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This was their special E3 announcement. Six titles have been announced so far with more to come:

• R-Type
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Ys Book I & II
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Alien Crush
5-Player Dungeon Explorer was confirmed with the multitap they'll be releasing. More details to be revealed later down the road, quick-save function is in.

TurboGrafx-16 Mini will release in NA, PC Engine Core Grafx Mini in Europe and PC Engine Mini in Japan.

CjwNrdE.jpg

kjQ5Oit.jpg

Japan-exclusive games:

D80o9N0V4AA4krs.jpg

GNolbQD.png

C1uJNZF.jpg

odw2LSM.jpg

Ok, why the heck does New Adventure Island have a title screen instead of the boxart like the other games?
Unfortunate, because NAI is the only one out of that selection that has a great boxart.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Actually they aren't. Not for a long time. After that garbage and icky spinoff the rights were sold to Sunsoft who rereleased everything for the PROJECT EGG service and the two aforementioned PSP ports. So it's possible!
Well egg on my face then. Maybe I should stop using wikipedia for a source.

Seriously though, that's great news. I'm putting together a list of my most-wanted PCE/TG16-Mini games and I'd hate to go without Valis.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
that's not why they expanded the PC Engine, actually, it was because of FCC regulations. The original small PC Engine is actually quite a noisy machine in terms of electrical interfearance. With mine, if I put it next to my CRT television, it'll actually warp the picture. In order to bring the system to the west, they had to spread out components and comply with shielding to get it passed. When the Duo itself actually came out in japan, they used the same design principals as the western Turbo Grafx to ensure the system wasn't noisy. My Duo and Duo R, for example, don't exhibit the CRT warping problem, nor does my Super Grafx, which is also a similar design to the Turbo Grafx.

According to the NEC/TTi folks back in the day, it was purely for marketing reasons. Americans wanted things "bigger" and they didn't want it to seem like a toy. The shielding was not an issue and could have been accomplished in the smaller form factor of the PCE.

you can tell this board is US centric when they post stuff like this. You know the PC Engine was chief rival to the Super Famicom in japan, right? It outsold the genesis. The way we, in the west, think of the Sega Genesis, they think of the PC Engine in Japan. That's why they have TWO japanese versions and only one US version here.

Also likely because the TG16 PAL got an extremely limited release, so EU players are more likely to be familiar with the JPN consoles than the PAL console.

My biggest hope is the PSP English version of Rondo of Blood, but I am sure plenty of people here have some good ideas too.

There is a patch with the PSP script that you can apply to the PCE CD. Dump your game to an ISO, patch, reburn and play.

I very, very much doubt that there's a complete working build of the game out there, but I would absolutely lose my shit if Space Fantasy Zone popped up.

I've got a copy of this.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Well, the trend of "mini" systems has been one of emulation in a mini-sized console but don't allow you to use your existing carts.
The Super NT and Mega SG allow you to use your carts or load ROMs via a "jail broken" firmware.
I suppose you'll need to wait for Analog to release a TurboPC if it's even in the works.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for Snatcher on the Japanese version. If that's on it, (and the emulation for the device is decent,) then I will definitely pick one up.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any info on launch date or pricing? I can't find anything.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the trend of "mini" systems has been one of emulation in a mini-sized console but don't allow you to use your existing carts.
The Super NT and Mega SG allow you to use your carts or load ROMs via a "jail broken" firmware.
I suppose you'll need to wait for Analog to release a TurboPC if it's even in the works.

The AtGames Sega Genesis minis included a cart slot to let you play original games, but then again those things were lice on rats on a horse on fire, so...

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm hoping for Snatcher on the Japanese version. If that's on it, (and the emulation for the device is decent,) then I will definitely pick one up.

At this point it would be difficult to screw up PCE emulation. It's a well known, well documented, system, and I'm assuming Konami is working with M2 here.

This should (in theory) require more work around the UI/UX than the technical emulation aspects.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
The lack of the turbo switches for the PCEmini is really killing my interest in it cuz Bonk without turbo switches won't feel the same.
Leaning towards EU or US models now.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I know, this was managed through the card port (I have system cards for 2 and 3 aka super system card)

The arcade card is way too expensive though
The biggest problem for the arcade card is that it is hard to justify the price.
There are only a handful of games that support it (though very impressive) and a few of them are port of SNK games that are obviously better on Neo Geo.
I've got it to play Tengai Makyou Kabuki Ittoryoudan and Sapphire, they are jaw dropping but still too little.

p_xavier

Jan 8, 2018
The most amazing bonuses would be a translated Ys IV and the inclusion of Cosmic Fantasy 2. The system is rated PEGI 18 so who knows (placeholder).

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man, the amount of "why?" posts on page 1 shows why this is needed - too many of y'all slept on this fantastic library

this and a saturn mini would be so cool, so many absolute classics stuck on both systems (and both libraries have gotten crazy expensive in recent years too)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly Vasteel, Sherlock Holmes, JB Harold Murder club and DragonSlayer the legend of heroes are not on that USA list :(
I looooooove Vasteel

Such an incredible game
Give me devil crush and im down

Yall my peoples. Turbo Duo was life as a young teenager. Pretty much know we won't get any Working Designs ports sadly. So many solid Super CD and CD games lost to time since no one will tackle that licensing. Exile games are other ones I want.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the feasible games that could be on this, I really want Blazing Lazers and Bonk's Revenge. And Air Zonk. Pretty sure that'll be on there.

It's too bad Ys IV and Rondo of Blood probably aren't coming, since the never did come out in English, although Rondo could still happen, I duppose. Ys IV is a wonderful game, though. It's far less cryptic than Ys 1&2

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Of the feasible games that could be on this, I really want Blazing Lazers and Bonk's Revenge. And Air Zonk. Pretty sure that'll be on there.

It's too bad Ys IV and Rondo of Blood probably aren't coming, since the never did come out in English, although Rondo could still happen, I duppose. Ys IV is a wonderful game, though. It's far less cryptic than Ys 1&2
Well, Rondo is on the PC Engine Mini at least, but it being on the TurboGrafX Mini would had been a surprise.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wouldn't lose hope for Rondo on the TG-16 Mini, Konami did release it untranslated on the Wii afterall. I don't think the game not being in English is a barrier