• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
It didn't, it was the original Japanese version.

No Wii VC was the original untranslated Rondo of Blood

Both posted at the same time. But thanks for the clarification. I remeber the game being released on the VC in the western markets, and I always assumed it was the translated one from the PSP game. But in anycase, they do have all the english audio from the PSP game that they could use.

EDIT: I also forgot about Castlevania: Requiem on the PS4, which includes a version of Rondo that has an english translation as well.

Last edited:

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is an official english translation of Rondo of Blood that was included with Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. Plus, I am pretty sure the english port was also released on the Wii Virtual console as well.
I didn't know the VC version was in English. Interesting! I played it in Japanese on my Turbo Duo, so it definitely doesn't need the translation, but still, that raises its chances. It helps that it's probably the most in-demand game on the system.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I didn't know the VC version was in English. Interesting! I played it in Japanese on my Turbo Duo, so it definitely doesn't need the translation, but still, that raises its chances. It helps that it's probably the most in-demand game on the system.

Opps, I was wrong about the VC version being in english. Look at the previous couple posts that corrected me. My mistake. But the game has been released in english twice. There is a PSP version with an english translation as well as a more recent PS4 port, which also has english text. But yeah, the game itself doesn't really need much of a translation.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully a bit earlier than that I would like one for my Christmas stocking!

Hmmm with the talk of Cotton Reboot coming to Switch/PS4/X68000/STEAM I wonder if they will add the pc engine super CD-Rom version to the games list. It's a pretty decent conversion of the arcade.

y3quWTQ.gif

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
So I've put together a list of 60 games that I'd like to see on the TG16/PCE Mini.

Here's what I've got:

Bonk's Revenge, Blazing Lazers, Military Madness, Neutopia 2, Devil's Crush, Cadash, Parasol Stars, Star Parodier, Cho Aniki, Bloody Wolf, Super Darius II, Legendary Axe, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Final Zone II, Cosmic Fantasy II, Valis III, Magical Chase, Battle Lode Runner, Galaga '90, Salamander

*breathes*

Rayxanber II (or III), Final Soldier, Air Zonk, Nexzr, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, Rainbow Islands, Splatterhouse, Exile, Battle Chopper, Gradius II, Kaze Kiri, Shockman, Flash Hiders, Parodius Da!, Legend of Xanadu 2, Valis IV, Atomic Robo Kid Special, Ane-San, Beyond Shadowgate, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones,

*breathes again*

Dungeon Explorer II, Son Son II, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, Soldier Blade, Last Alert, Gate of Thunder, Cratermaze, Mad Stalker - Full Metal Force, Detana! ! Twinbee, Legendary Axe II, Bonk's Big Adventure, Metal Stoker, Riot Zone, Ys III: Wanderers of Ys, Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton, Afterburner II, Bomberman '94, Somer Assault

*whew*

Alright now there are a few games here that I'm kinda iffy on, but I've done quite a bit of research, and I think this is a pretty solid list. I tried to go with picks that have a semi-realistic chance of appearing on the Mini. Naturally, the already confirmed games (Rondo, R-Type, etc) aren't listed.

Still, I'm open to suggestions.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So I've put together a list of 60 games that I'd like to see on the TG16/PCE Mini.

Here's what I've got:

Bonk's Revenge, Blazing Lazers, Military Madness, Neutopia 2, Devil's Crush, Cadash, Parasol Stars, Star Parodier, Cho Aniki, Bloody Wolf, Super Darius II, Legendary Axe, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Final Zone II, Cosmic Fantasy II, Valis III, Magical Chase, Battle Lode Runner, Galaga '90, Salamander

*breathes*

Rayxanber II (or III), Final Soldier, Air Zonk, Nexzr, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, Rainbow Islands, Splatterhouse, Exile, Battle Chopper, Gradius II, Kaze Kiri, Shockman, Flash Hiders, Parodius Da!, Legend of Xanadu 2, Valis IV, Atomic Robo Kid Special, Ane-San, Beyond Shadowgate, Keith Courage in Alpha Zones,

*breathes again*

Dungeon Explorer II, Son Son II, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, Soldier Blade, Last Alert, Gate of Thunder, Cratermaze, Mad Stalker - Full Metal Force, Detana! ! Twinbee, Legendary Axe II, Bonk's Big Adventure, Metal Stoker, Riot Zone, Ys III: Wanderers of Ys, Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton, Afterburner II, Bomberman '94, Somer Assault

*whew*

Alright now there are a few games here that I'm kinda iffy on, but I've done quite a bit of research, and I think this is a pretty solid list. I tried to go with picks that have a semi-realistic chance of appearing on the Mini. Naturally, the already confirmed games (Rondo, R-Type, etc) aren't listed.

Still, I'm open to suggestions.
I'm down for these.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There's not even a total of included titles announced yet is there? Cuz the 60-title wish list made me wonder if it had been.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
All I need is Soldier Blade, Magical Chase and Rondo of Blood. Gimme these games and I am a happy man.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
While I'm pretty sure Japan will get Tengai Makyou: Manjimaru, I'm really crossing my fingers

I don't know what ever happened to Victor Ireland and Gaijinworks, but I'd love for him to hook up with Konami and possibly do some retroactive translations of these games (as well as offering up the rights to Cosmic Fantasy 2, Cadash, and ***EXILE***)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I really hope this turns out to be good!

I have the white PC Engine Core system and an Everdrive, and it's so fun. The RGB video is a bit messy in my HDTV but it's a nice system for immediate and accessible games.

Pac-Land on this is a personal favourite. I often attribute the criticism of Pac-Land to the miserable NES version.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is basically all of the major Wii Virtual Console platform holders covered now. I can't help thinking that the existence of Virtual Console also led to the existence of these Mini consoles, soon 13 years after the launch of the original Virtual Console.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many actual big games (for the TG-16) that the list of 6 games made me think it was an April Fool's joke. I don't even remember any of those games when it released.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think about this system release every single day. I hope the emulation is great and hope the final list of games is satisfying.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Who'd own this now? WB?

Former Tengen coder who uploaded it to YT; Jun Amanai

They even produced this unreleased title and his video description:

This video is from PC-Engine version of Off The Wall, which was never released for some reasons... Yes, you are right. Manufacturing cost of 8M-bit HuCard was too high, and volume-type controller seemed to be mandatory for this game. So we gave up.

EDIT

I really hope this turns out to be good!

I have the white PC Engine Core system and an Everdrive, and it's so fun. The RGB video is a bit messy in my HDTV but it's a nice system for immediate and accessible games.

Pac-Land on this is a personal favourite. I often attribute the criticism of Pac-Land to the miserable NES version.

When you have something that can fake scalines like OSSC the PCE can look amazing on HDTV

dzIMl7s.jpg

6jKLbeK.jpg

4u0GUKu.jpg

Last edited:

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
So are we still with the "region exclusive" games? You'd think they'd try to make all regions equal.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel genuinely sorry for the people who are shitting on the PC Engine ITT.

One of the best consoles and game lineups in history, and you're shitting on it because you only knew SEGA and Nintendo as a kid. :/

Is there a list for the European version's games yet?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel genuinely sorry for the people who are saying Keith Courage and JJ & Jeff are good games.

Two of the worst early games in history, and you're praising them because you never knew SEGA and Nintendo as a kid. :/

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel genuinely sorry for the people who are shitting on the PC Engine ITT.

One of the best consoles and game lineups in history, and you're shitting on it because you only knew SEGA and Nintendo as a kid. :/

Is there a list for the European version's games yet?
Not yet it seems.

Those are almost all solid picks.

I love JJ and Jeff - I don't understand what's not to like about it?
It's kind of basic, but so were most HuCard platformers. The music might be some of my favorite of all HuCard games.

Just one Momotaro Densetsu, please.
And Image Fight II isn't all that fun, but it is rare, so thats nice,

Hold up, why is Spriggan Mk2 on here, but not the vastly superior Spriggan 1?

Last edited:

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
People suck. JJ & Jeff, REALLY? That game is awful!

That game was great for JP audiences since it contains jokes from a sitcom featuring Kato-chan & Ken-chan aka one of the most famous Japanese comedians ever. When they localized to the west, Americans didn't know who the fck they were and didn't understand references.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Gotta agree with this. I love Pac-Land and the PC Engine version is great while the NES version is a travesty. I can't imagine that version being someone's first impression of the game.

Pac-Land was one of my earliest arcade memories and it was pretty formative for me. Would play it while on vacation as a kid tons.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree with this. I love Pac-Land and the PC Engine version is great while the NES version is a travesty. I can't imagine that version being someone's first impression of the game.

Pac-Land was one of my earliest arcade memories and it was pretty formative for me. Would play it while on vacation as a kid tons.

Slightly OT: My local arcade has a Pac-Land machine and I cringe when I see people playing without using the double-tap run.

I've tried to advise without sounding like a dick, but all always been ignored. Arcades used to be open to tips from players - I'll never forget the guy who showed me tricks in Super Mario Bros. , it blew my mind with the depth.

Also, I remember me and a friend trying to trade copies of Spectrum games with a guy who had everything, so we knocked up a tape with a fake Pac-Land header- obviously it didn't load, but we blamed it on the chuntey of his set-up.

He fight bite.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly OT: My local arcade has a Pac-Land machine and I cringe when I see people playing without using the double-tap run.

I've tried to advise without sounding like a dick, but all always been ignored. Arcades used to be open to tips from players - I'll never forget the guy who showed me tricks in Super Mario Bros. , it blew my mind with the depth.

Also, I remember me and a friend trying to trade copies of Spectrum games with a guy who had everything, so we knocked up a tape with a fake Pac-Land header- obviously it didn't load, but we blamed it on the chuntey of his set-up.

He fight bite.

Urgh. I remember not understanding the double tap run when I was a little kid and I was SO grateful when someone taught it to me so I could get past the damn diving board over the lake!

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Urgh. I remember not understanding the double tap run when I was a little kid and I was SO grateful when someone taught it to me so I could get past the damn diving board over the lake!
Heh, get helmet 》 warp to level three and skip the longest pool in the game. One of my arcades in the 80s had a bootleg Pac-Land that made level two's pool a breeze by running slower. But yeah, skip.