• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
MVy8dCl.jpg

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
iirc the pc engine version of pac land has a strange default button layout too where the action buttons are for moving left and right and the directional pad was for jump. You can reverse this layout.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That game was great for JP audiences since it contains jokes from a sitcom featuring Kato-chan & Ken-chan aka one of the most famous Japanese comedians ever. When they localized to the west, Americans didn't know who the fck they were and didn't understand references.

People want jokes? Watch the original comedians.

This game is bad. Bad gameplay, bad controls, bad hit detection. I've unfortunately played the game twice and I can't fathom how can people like such a turd.

This game is a kusoge, like Takeshi's Challenge for the NES.

It would be a waste of space if they add this.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
backport the SEGA CD translation to the PC Engine version or something.

They couldn't backport the Sega CD localization. It is too different from the PCE-CDROM script. The Sega CD port was made exclusively for english audiences and the localization team of Scott Hards and Jeremy Blaustein (also responsible for the MGS1 localization) made a lot of changes to the dialog that would not fit with the PCE version. Also, The Sega CD port has an extended third act with an altered different ending. This one would have to be a new translation/ localization.

Good job pointing out the PEGI 18 rating, though. Wow, maybe this version of Snatcher will come to the west?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT
pc engine version of SNATCHER is uncensored too ie more nudity and gore compared to the western Sega CD release

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love Snatcher but it seems pretty unlikely. About as unlikely as my dream for english Ys IV being included.

Really Konami should just do modern platform releases (PC/PS4/Xbox/Switch) of Snatcher and Policenauts or even a collection with both. Kojima's not there to stand in the way anymore.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
EDIT
pc engine version of SNATCHER is uncensored too ie more nudity and gore compared to the western Sega CD release

The Sega CD version was edited for sexual content. One instance was mandatory because of 'underage laws' in NA. But as far as gore is concerned, in some ways the Sega CD version is actually gorier. Like this scene here:

1525913525855.png

Where you can see the severed neck of this character, while the rest of them have the torso twisted around and facing to the back. the Saturn version moves the severed head below the body and have the scene scroll up, so you only see the head for a couple seconds. The PS1 version pixilated and de-saturated the scene.

Then there is another scene where an animal gets brutally mutilated. In the PCE version, the animal is still breathing, but has its guts hanging out. In the Sega CD version, the animal is not breathing, but the guts are still hanging out. probably to get around PETA. In the Saturn and PSX versions, the animal is facing the other way, so you can't see the guts.

The Sega CD version is a bit of a mixed bag with censorship. But it isn't really that drastically different. The PSX version is the most censored, while the Saturn port has less censorship. The Saturn port actually restores some of the sexual content of the PCE version, while the PSX version has the Sega CD sexual content censorship.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
They couldn't backport the Sega CD localization. It is too different from the PCE-CDROM script. The Sega CD port was made exclusively for english audiences and the localization team of Scott Hards and Jeremy Blaustein (also responsible for the MGS1 localization) made a lot of changes to the dialog that would not fit with the PCE version. Also, The Sega CD port has an extended third act with an altered different ending. This one would have to be a new translation/ localization.

Good job pointing out the PEGI 18 rating, though. Wow, maybe this version of Snatcher will come to the west?
M2 (Again, assuming they are actually handling the emulation.) is pretty well-known for their programming skills. So i don't think it's impossible.

An obvious comparison would be Trials of Mana, the Fan Translation had a ton of issues implementing the text, and completely lacks Variable Width fonts as a result.
7-SD3_49_4.png

The official M2 localization, on the other hand....
Collection_of_Mana_E3_Announcement_Trials_of_Mana_Screenshot_04_1560271957.jpg

Not to mention their wholly original projects like making a complete remake of Fantasy Zone II on a modified System-16 board, and porting Darius to the SEGA Mega Drive (This was a fan project initially, but M2 hired the person making it to officially implement the game onto the Mega Drive Mini.)

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
M2 (Again, assuming they are actually handling the emulation.) is pretty well-known for their programming skills. So i don't think it's impossible.

I am not debating M2's abilities. But, the Sega CD Snatcher script is really not compatible with the PC Engine script. I'm sure bits and pieces of the Sega CD english script could work. But as a whole, it is pretty different. The recorded dialog also does not work as a substitute. The text would have to be completely re-written for the PCE version. They would probably have to re-dub the Japanese voice dialog with new voice actors as well. Unless Konami wants to put in the extra effort, I would imagine that their best coarse of action would be to just add subtitles to the original Japanese dialog. Unless they do want to get fancy. Maybe they could hire Blaustein again to make a more faithful translation? Who knows?

There still isn't a proper fan translation of the PC Engine version of Snatcher. believe me, I looked for years. There were translations promised from fan sites like JunkerHQ, but they never produced anything yet. Which makes the PCE version elusive. There is no way to really play it unless you know how to read and speak Japanese.

The PS1 and Saturn ports actually use a modified script based on the Sega CD game. I guess they wanted to bring the english Sega CD port back to Japan, since they never got the Sega CD version due to the Mega CD being dead in Japan by 1994/ 1995.

Hideo Kojima was directly responsible for the PCE script, while the Sega CD english script was done by Scott Hards and Jeremy Blaustein, with additional direction from Yoshinori Sasaki and his Japanese port team. It is like comparing Jeremy Blaustein's english PS1 Metal Gear Solid 1 script to the original Japanese script. They are different. Somebody told Hideo about all the script changes in the english localization of MGS1, which apparently made Hideo quite mad. Hideo then demanded a different translator for MGS2, just so it could be as close to his script as possible. Which made MGS2's script come out pretty stifled but more accurate.

Last edited:

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I would kill for the PC Engine model with English games.

The TG-16 is such an ugly case for hardware that takes up 1/5th the size.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the design and name of the system in the U.S. came across as a desperate attempt to be "cool" in contrast to the Genesis which just was cool

It's literally a me too Genesis. Half of the thing is empty space to look impressive and yet it still doesn't have the Darth Vader helmet appeal of the Genesis Model 1.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
the first Nintendo-alternative game magazine I ever bought. That cover was incredibly bold and stuck out betwixt all the Fashion and Car enthusiast mags. Wish I still had it!

This was honestly one of the first video game magazines that I ever purchased. I think I was nine at the time. It was actually pretty good and covered micro computers as well as consoles.

OK I'm going to have to ask...why is the TG16 on the hood of a Lotus?

I think it was advertising Lotus for the Amiga as well.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This was honestly one of the first video game magazines that I ever purchased. I think I was nine at the time. It was actually pretty good and covered micro computers as well as consoles.

I think it was advertising Lotus for the Amiga as well.
Yeah, that crossed my mind but I didn't see any Lotus related headline. Guess it must be subliminal :)

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, good catch!
I've always seen the game covers but never stopped to actually differentiate between the two.

The boardgame version was a pretty popular casual franchise back in the day, Nintendo even published a new one for 3DS a year or two ago when the co-owner/creator had a public spat with Konami.

List of games revealed

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well, this is interesting. Konami just confirmed that the TurboGrafx-16 Mini will ship with "50 games," and that's split into US and JP versions. As in, the US is gonna get a TurboGrafx-16 full of original Japanese games, untranslated, alongside the American material. 24 USA games, 26 JPN games in all. This is different than Sega and Nintendo's approaches, which have region-locked their particular mini-console game selections to certain territories.

It's quite the freaking collection, with only a bit of overlap.

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

Lack of Splatterhouse is interesting on Namco's part, but also interesting to see Konami put freaking Snatcher and Rondo of Blood on here--confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so). Shame that those'll both be Japanese versions. Snatcher's official English translation on Sega CD is a treat. But, yeah, wow. Nice list all-in-all, Konami.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so)

They did, but the Turbo CD was just a different storage medium, it's not really new hardware like the Sega CD, so that was never really in question.

The bigger surprise is SuperGrafx support, which is different hardware from a standard PCE.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, this is interesting. Konami just confirmed that the TurboGrafx-16 Mini will ship with "50 games," and that's split into US and JP versions. As in, the US is gonna get a TurboGrafx-16 full of original Japanese games, untranslated, alongside the American material. 24 USA games, 26 JPN games in all. This is different than Sega and Nintendo's approaches, which have region-locked their particular mini-console game selections to certain territories.

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Soldier
  • Ys I & II

Lack of Splatterhouse is interesting on Namco's part, but also interesting to see Konami put freaking Snatcher and Rondo of Blood on here--confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so). Shame that those'll both be Japanese versions. Snatcher's official English translation on Sega CD is a treat. But, yeah, wow. Nice list all-in-all, Konami.
They announced Ys book 1 and 2 in the initial batch, so we knew there were Cd games. Also lords of thunder was in the sizzle reel. But good to see they put a few more in here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Soldier
  • Ys I & II

I like both lists but man that PC Engine Mini list is fantastic!

Nov 2, 2017
No Devil's Crush is SUPER crushing to me. Alien Crush just isn't as good.

Also slightly bummed about no Silent Debugger. Which is such a unique and weird game.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have never bought a mini console and have lots of emulation and FPGA options, and I still have a real Coregrafx.

But I might buy one.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I like both lists but man that PC Engine Mini list is fantastic!
It seems all regions are getting the exact same list, but games like Snatcher are staying in Japanese.

RETRACTION: It does seem there's some regional variation. For example, Japan is getting Tokimeki Memorial where North America isn't getting it at all.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa wait, did I see they're putting Tokimeki Memorial on this too? The first US release ever!

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No Splatterhouse is disappointing but that's really the only omission of note. Hell of a lineup.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They actually pulled it from the US/EU system in favor of SALAMANDER. Probably because it's the hardest game to play raw in Japanese (Necromancer and Snatcher are easier)
Aww man. A good replacement that most people will prefer but I assumed the games shown in the Japanese video were going to be the same ones to appear on the us version. I didn't realize there were differences. It would have been amazing to see Tokimeki get an official us release after all these years.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't Turbogrsdz NEC's lovechild?? Also no Bonk, no buy. Turbografx 16 had Bonk and Keith Courage in Alphazone