• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well, this is interesting. Konami just confirmed that the TurboGrafx-16 Mini will ship with "50 games," and that's split into US and JP versions. As in, the US is gonna get a TurboGrafx-16 full of original Japanese games, untranslated, alongside the American material. 24 USA games, 26 JPN games in all. This is different than Sega and Nintendo's approaches, which have region-locked their particular mini-console game selections to certain territories.

It's quite the freaking collection, with only a bit of overlap.

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

Lack of Splatterhouse is interesting on Namco's part, but also interesting to see Konami put freaking Snatcher and Rondo of Blood on here--confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so). Shame that those'll both be Japanese versions. Snatcher's official English translation on Sega CD is a treat. But, yeah, wow. Nice list all-in-all, Konami.
So wait a minute, Snatcher - an entirely narrative spoken word & text based adventure game is going to be released entirely in Japanese in the U.S.? WTF?!?

Also - where the @%*# is Legendary Axe??

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Keith Courage was adapted from some anime TV series.
The chances of it seeing a re-release were really low.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So wait a minute, Snatcher - an entirely narrative spoken word & text based adventure game is going to be released entirely in Japanese in the U.S.? WTF?!?

Also - where the @%*# is Legendary Axe??

Victor Interactive Software made that game and they're known for being a record label that copyright blocks any YT video with Namco music in it these days (basically, the strictest , so they haven't offered a rerelease of their games in years because that's not who they are anymore. It's never coming out of hiding sadly.

As for snatcher, there's no US translation, so there's nothing for them to use. I'm kinda glad it's coming at all since as someone with some understanding of Japanese, I can at least enjoy it. I do hope they maybe find a way to add subtitles to the voices though, somehow.

Wasn't Turbogrsdz NEC's lovechild?? Also no Bonk, no buy. Turbografx 16 had Bonk and Keith Courage in Alphazone

Bonk 1/2 are on there, don't worry. No 3 though. Keith will never be rereleased as Sunrise owns the rights to the game as the JPN version was based off an anime. Somehow they have the rights to the US version as well, probably because they maybe considered bringing the show to the west and made it a new license.

Aww man. A good replacement that most people will prefer but I assumed the games shown in the Japanese video were going to be the same ones to appear on the us version. I didn't realize there were differences. It would have been amazing to see Tokimeki get an official us release after all these years.

It's ironically the only game to be replaced so i'm honestly surprised tbh. I'd rather swap out Necromancer for Salamander as that game's poop anyway

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Great list, at least a good few of the games I still wanted to buy are on there like Soldier Blade, Ninja Spirit, the English versions of Neutopia, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Gradius 1 & 2 and Salamander. Soldier Blade especially is expensive as shit so that one alone makes it worth it to get one.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
As for snatcher, there's no US translation, so there's nothing for them to use. I'm kinda glad it's coming at all since as someone with some understanding of Japanese, I can at least enjoy it. I do hope they maybe find a way to add subtitles to the voices though, somehow.
They should just use the text and voices from the Sega CD version of Snatcher - it's nearly identical to the PC engine version.

If someone uninitiated with Snatcher doesn't understand Japanese, they aren't going to enjoy playing it entirely in Japanese, since it focuses 100% on story - and reading as well as listening are required to not only follow the narrative, but also to make decisions and enjoy the game. Including Snatcher without an English translation is a foul move on Konami's part.

Something else that would have made this a must have item would have been the inclusion of the much touted and never released SuperGrafx version of Strider.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neutopia 1+2, Ninja Spirit, Bonks, JJ and Jeff even, this has basically everything on it I'd want it to have.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Turbogrsdz NEC's lovechild?? Also no Bonk, no buy. Turbografx 16 had Bonk and Keith Courage in Alphazone

NEC was the manufacturer, but were building Hudson's reference design. Sort of like how AMD or NVidia make GPU reference designs, then companies like Diamond actually manufacture them. Except, unlike GPUs, NEC held exclusive manufacturing rights indefinitely. Hudson's reference design dates back to a bunch of small independent projects they had come together, like Hucards are the evolution of their Bee Card line of software for the MSX (designed to make manufacturing cost of games cheaper). The heart of the TG16/PC Engine is a super common processor architecture, being essentially an Hudson-variant of the popular 6502 chip, basically the same CPU that powered the Commodore 64 and NES.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If the option is either not release it at all, or release it untranslated, which do you think is the better option?

They should just use the text and voices from the Sega CD version of Snatcher - it's nearly identical to the PC engine version.
There is no magic button that would do this. The source code is probably not existent or at least not in any shape to easily modify, and that leaves the only other option a long and painful hack job.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
As far as the game selection goes, I think this is mostly a good list. However, I'm disappointed there isn't Son Son 2 on the list. I also would have liked to see Be Ball and the Doraemon game, but maybe cause I played the shit out of those as a kid and loved them. I also kind of remember there being a Kitaro game on PC Engine that I would have liked to see but I don't remember exactly what it was called or if was even that or just more of a Japanese mythology game featuring ghosts.

On the Turbographix side I think they hit most of the favorites; Keith Courage is actually a pretty bad game so I won't miss it. I will miss Splatterhouse and Dungeon Explorer 2 though.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

games like snatcher and policenauts use a modular platform independent kernel to achieve their ports, essentially a super basic virtual machine. This virtual machine handles the text parsing systems of the games. US Sega CD snatcher handles english text through an additional, sega CD specific module that is not part of the original kernel, written in 68000 assembly. The PC Engine doesn't run this type of code, the module is incompatible with other ports of the game. It's not as easy as just sticking the text from the Sega CD version into the PC Engine version, it'd require significant reengineering.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they're just dumping an untranslated adventure game on people. And they're counting English and Japanese versions of the same game twice? Lmao.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Wait, I'm a little confused.

So all versions are shipping with 50 games split between US and JP versions, correct? But there's going to be some regional differences, has anyone listed them yet?

I intended to buy a JP model just for the looks and the chance that it had more games than the western versions, but seeing that Amazon JP will do exclusive Prime pre-orders I don't think I can get one now.
On the other hand, if the EU version ends up getting pretty much the same games, then it's a bit better, even if the grey look is soooooo dull compared to the JP model.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they're just dumping shit like an untranslated adventure game on people. Lmao.
It also means you don't have to buy different region minis to get all of the games unlike the Nintendo Classics. I mean, it still has 24 US games which puts it right in the middle of the NES and SNES classic, PLUS the 26 Japanese titles.

What I'm getting at is this is a long way to go to find something to complain about.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
parasolstarsad1.jpg

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It also means you don't have to buy different region minis to get all of the games unlike the Nintendo Classics. I mean, it still has 24 US games which puts it right in the middle of the NES and SNES classic, PLUS the 26 Japanese titles.
Several of those Japanese titles are literally just the same US games, in Japanese.

The whole thing is just bizarre. I can't understand how so many publishers have tried to get in on this mini console craze, and only Nintendo got it right.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
As long as there arent any problems with emulation, I'll be getting one for sure. That list of games is pretty good.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Assuming the emulation is solid, I'm in just for potentially having a Rondo of Blood release comparable to the Wii VC release. (The PSP and PS4 ports have some scaling and audio desync issues here and there; The Wii VC release was the only re-release to lack any of those issues, being straight emulation)

As someone who only recently started getting into Gradius, it's nice to see the second game in particular here. Are the PCE versions generally decent?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who only recently started getting into Gradius, it's nice to see the second game in particular here. Are the PCE versions generally decent?

Definitely--both Gradius games, Salamander and Detana Twinbee are all fantastic conversions, and Parodius Da! isn't bad either but they clearly hit their limits with that one.

So all versions are shipping with 50 games split between US and JP versions, correct? But there's going to be some regional differences, has anyone listed them yet?

There's only one difference, from the looks of things: the Japanese version has Tokimeki Memorial (Konami's anime dating sim) but the US/EU versions replaced it with Salamander.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
If the option is either not release it at all, or release it untranslated, which do you think is the better option?

There is no magic button that would do this. The source code is probably not existent or at least not in any shape to easily modify, and that leaves the only other option a long and painful hack job.

Exactly. I can't believe people are actually complaining about this and calling it lazy. That's why companies in general would rather remove something like that for certain regions instead of releasing it untranslated, I guess.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Really glad to see this coming out. Looking forward to finally be able play the PCE and a good selections of the system's top games!

Looks as if Konami is the only publisher to release the same list of games worldwide, which is fine by me. Too bad for the Snatcher being in jp only for the non-japanesed crowd. Guess we'll have to rely on Sega and a Mini Mega CD (low probabilities) or some Ages version at some point.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England

What I'm getting at is this is a long way to go to find something to complain about.

It most certainly isn't. The TG-16 Mini lineup is fantastic; there's so much stuff I never thought would get on there in a billion years. I'm hyped for it. But the inclusion of Snatcher on the Western console - a highly-regarded cult game beloved by the fans who would even consider buying this thing - and then not accomodating an English translation for it? That's a foolish move and absolutely valid to be upset about. I know it's not a simple matter to remedy (you can't just copy-paste the Mega CD script like someone else has said), but I think it's fair enough to complain about.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they make enough units so that it won't be hard to get one (specifically the CoreGrafx version).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
M2 (we can only assume it's them, right? They've done like every other emulated reissue of TG-16/PCE games in history, no?)

Their first PCE-related product came out earlier this year, actually. The commercial demand for PCE emulation is primarily dictated by whatever Konami wants to do and, well, Konami.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Maybe if enough of the right people hear the demand enough, M2 (we can only assume it's them, right? They've done like every other emulated reissue of TG-16/PCE games in history, no?) might pull a Darius/Tetris MD and translate Snatcher for Western markets. Just maybe. I mean, it's not our until March, for crying out loud.
Part of me wants to say their workload as of late probably makes that idea unlikely, but at the same time, part of said workload involved officially localizing Kid Dracula and Seiken Densetsu 3, so weirder stuff has happened, I guess.

Not really holding my breath, though.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Fantastic lineup but as always there are puzzling omissions. Legendary Axe is a fantastic game and was one of the bigger early games for the system. Anyone know of any licensing issues with it?

I assume licensing issues are why we aren't getting Keith Courage or Bloody Wolf (which is a Data East game I believe). BW is a pretty good run and gun.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I count 15 shooters, many of them excellent. Makes up somewhat for the lacklustre showing from the MD mini in this department.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: What was said PCE M2 product, anyhow?

It was the Japan-only Darius collection for Switch, they threw in a rare PCE promo game as part of the special edition. The emulator they used was something a programmer was making as a hobby project, so they were able to throw in that one game as an extra, but at that point the emulator was basically configured just for that game and couldn't handle CD games or anything aside from that one specific ROM.

Fantastic lineup but as always there are puzzling omissions. Legendary Axe is a fantastic game and was one of the bigger early games for the system. Anyone know of any licensing issues with it?

Legendary Axe is one of those games that was owned by companies that got merged into other companies, I believe Marvelous AQL owns it now. It never showed up on Virtual Console on anywhere else.

I count 15 shooters, many of them excellent. Makes up somewhat for the lacklustre showing from the MD mini in this department.

They didn't have much choice, the TG16 library isn't exactly well-rounded.

MD Mini has, what, six shooters between regions? and that's probably five too many for the average modern player, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Well, this is interesting. Konami just confirmed that the TurboGrafx-16 Mini will ship with "50 games," and that's split into US and JP versions. As in, the US is gonna get a TurboGrafx-16 full of original Japanese games, untranslated, alongside the American material. 24 USA games, 26 JPN games in all. This is different than Sega and Nintendo's approaches, which have region-locked their particular mini-console game selections to certain territories.

It's quite the freaking collection, with only a bit of overlap.

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

Lack of Splatterhouse is interesting on Namco's part, but also interesting to see Konami put freaking Snatcher and Rondo of Blood on here--confirming TurboCD game support (maybe they said that earlier, I must've missed it if so). Shame that those'll both be Japanese versions. Snatcher's official English translation on Sega CD is a treat. But, yeah, wow. Nice list all-in-all, Konami.
This is an AWESOME game list!
Snatcher?? Even Sega games???

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn that's a great lineup. I was already planning on picking one up, but now I'm genuinely excited about it.

Apr 24, 2018
I have no experience with the TurboGrafx-16 but am pretty tempted to get this. Ys I & II are titles I wanted to try one day, anyways, for sure. Gauging responses in this thread, it seems like the games are going to be a fairly good representation of the best of what the system has to offer. I always wanted to try Snatcher; it's unfortunate that that game will be in Japanese text, only.