• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK have the mini console and the multitap, but no psu or separate controller for sale. Why advertise and build the mini with multiple controller support when you can't even buy the extra controllers?? Absolute madness. Does anyone know if Konami have been asked about this?

Amazon DE has the controller fwiw.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a PC Engine Mini from Amazon JP in the end. Is it necessary to buy an additional controller or does the mini come with more than one controller?

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a PC Engine Mini from Amazon JP in the end. Is it necessary to buy an additional controller or does the mini come with more than one controller?
There's only one pad on the box art, so it's safe to assume there's only one in the box itself. Unless someone else here has better info...?

Finally broke down and pre-ordered one, btw. I think this little guy might be worth something over time.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something worse about the US version other than aesthetic opinions of the case design?

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Same. Pre-ordered yesterday and now the excruciating wait.

I will say I remember seeing the TG16 on store shelves back when it was still being sold. I recall seeing it at TRU in the early 90s but at the time I think it was still a bit higher priced. They were also selling the TurboXpress which I believe was $300 but could be misremembering.
I came pretty close to buying one in the last year. I was looking at the US TG-16 and the JPN CoreGrafx as options. I'm glad I waited. This will be "good enough" for now. I'm pretty excited because the game lineup is rather solid based on what I own on Virtual Console. I have waaaaay too many HDMI devices these days, but I'll make room for this one and the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini for sure.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't super hot on this, but the games and the UI make it look like something I'll enjoy.

I preordered it, but if the emulation comes from someone other than M2, I may have to reconsider.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Has M2 done any work on recent retro Konami games? That might be your first indication if M2 is involved.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I think you could make some money, but it's a sort of shitty thing to do. It all depends how you look at it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
People paying higher prices to scalpers are going to get burned I think. This far out, there's plenty of time for Konami to adjust their production run. There's going to be more preorders allowed at some point.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I find it quite peculiar that people who oppose purchasing from Amazon are often fine to get one from an eBay etc seller.
Unless Konami starts selling them elsewhere, every unit sold was originally from Amazon so it's just causing people to needlessly spend more. Seems pointless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, does the Japanese one no longer ship to the US?

Edit: Even worse, it looks like it sold out from the link that ships to the US.
Yeah, it looks like they've sold out on Amazon Japan and now you can only buy them from third party sellers at quite inflated prices.

PC Engine ¥24,800 ($229.20)

Core Grafx/TurboGrafx-16 ¥39,800 ($367.83)

You are looking at the wrong links:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07QHNRVYV/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07QD9GMLM/

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, my bad, the other two seem to ship though?

Ya, the TG-16 and Core ship to the US, but the PC Engine no longer does. The original links that worked for Prime Members only and shipped to the US are now sold out. The links you posted were not shipping to the US before, but didn't seem to have Prime attached to them. It seems like the original links were just set up for Prime Day and now that it's over, they're using the main ones as open orders just the caveat is for some reason they no longer ship the PC Engine to the US anymore.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Ya, the TG-16 and Core ship to the US, but the PC Engine no longer does. The original links that worked for Prime Members only and shipped to the US are now sold out. The links you posted were not shipping to the US before, but didn't seem to have Prime attached to them. It seems like the original links were just set up for Prime Day and now that it's over, they're using the main ones as open orders just the caveat is for some reason they no longer ship the PC Engine to the US anymore.
Were you or someone else trying to get the PCE but couldn't on prime day or something?
Since they're readily available on Amazon, why not use a proxy?

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Were you or someone else trying to get the PCE but couldn't on prime day or something?
How would a proxy solve the problem of having it shipped to you in the US though? I don't think Amazon would allow the order to go through. If you had a friend in Japan to send it to you that might work. I don't need one, I've already ordered a Core Grafx, but to get the PC Engine now seems like a giant pain.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
How would a proxy solve the problem of having it shipped to you in the US though? I don't think Amazon would allow the order to go through. If you had a friend in Japan to send it to you that might work. I don't need one, I've already ordered a Core Grafx, but to get the PC Engine now seems like a giant pain.
I might be thinking of the wrong word. It's a service that people who don't live in Japan use to purchase from shops in Japan that don't ship overseas. You order from (Amazon) and have it sent to the (proxy?? or whatever) in Japan, and they in turn send it to you for a fee.
(If that's not a proxy, what is it called?)

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I might be thinking of the wrong word. It's a service that people who don't live in Japan use to purchase from shops in Japan that don't ship overseas. You order from (Amazon) and have it sent to the (proxy?? or whatever) in Japan, and they in turn send it to you for a fee.
(If that's not a proxy, what is it called?)
Ah okay I understand. I'm not sure what ya call it. Proxy makes sense.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of odd that Amazon JP won't ship the PC Engine Mini to the states. The only one that I usually see do that is Amazon UK on a lot of stuff. I'm glad that I was able to get one in before they cut off people in North America. I didn't think this thing would sell out given the price and that it's a bit more niche than the SNES/Super Famicom or the Genesis/Mega Drive. On the other hand, it did go toe to toe with Nintendo in Japan back in the day, so I shouldn't be too shocked I guess.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, nice and easy to order a Core Grafx on Amazon uk. Now, to forget about this piece of nostalgia until March.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Was Canada left out again? Amazon.ca never had the preorder when I checked. If that's the case I guess I'll pass on this one. I am not going out of my way to get one and certainly not paying scalpers.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's enough time between now and release to not resort to a proxy just yet. I'll wait and see if it becomes available. I'd rather not pay a premium if I don't have to.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Most of these are single player games, right? Which ones support multiplayer and is an extra controller worth it?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Bomberman games being included and not allowing 5 player mayhem kinda sucks though.
Well, they were kinder this time around. At least without the multi tap we can play two players, which I can usually find someone to play with.
But for 5P festivities, we still need that tap.

Now I wish the Genesis Mini had a few Sega CD games on it too.
Perhaps when it's hacked and RetroArch is on it, we'll have Sega CD games then.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Was posted on a FB group and they say it's the mini in action in Akihabara

Z3T04jb.mp4

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It's a gif showing the process for selecting a game. Love how the hu card is inserted into the system before the game boots up. Though that might get annoying after the novelty wears off
Moreover, it doesn't look like the HU card is being properly inserted before the game loads - maybe the animation just hasn't been finished yet.