• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
So what could be an excellent 'lost' game to add to this device? Like Star Fox 2 and Darius/Tetris MD?

My biggest hope is the PSP English version of Rondo of Blood, but I am sure plenty of people here have some good ideas too.

Considering Konami games are installed on the Mega Drive Mini, it would be quite fitting to see some Sega games appearing on the PC Engine Mini.

According to Segaretro.org, these are all the Sega games that have appeared on the PC Engine:

After Burner II
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros (CD)
Columns
Fantasy Zone
Golden Axe (CD)
OutRun
Power Drift
Shinobi
Space Harrier
Thunder Blade

Anybody want to comment on the quality of those ports?

I know Golden Axe is supposed to be horrid, but I haven't played that version myself. From the above list I've only played the PC Engine version of Shinobi, and while some levels are missing, it's a pretty solid conversion of the arcade game.
Most of these games are fine but are not especially exciting as you can get better versions pretty easily elsewhere now. Golden Axe is terrible, but it has tons of new art and cutscenes which is kind of interesting I guess.

There is also Gain Ground which I quite enjoy. Not the best version of the game but it is still an excellent strategy game, especially with friends. I am bummed it missed out on being in the Genesis Mini, so I would love to see it here at the very least.

Other than that though? PC Engine is kind of lacking in the racing department so I would love to see something like OutRun make it in.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Why is doing this easier than an MGS or Silent Hill collection? And why will this make them more money than either of those things?

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Most of these games are fine but are not especially exciting as you can get better versions pretty easily elsewhere now. Golden Axe is terrible, but it has tons of new art and cutscenes which is kind of interesting I guess.

There is also Gain Ground which I quite enjoy. Not the best version of the game but it is still an excellent strategy game, especially with friends. I am bummed it missed out on being in the Genesis Mini, so I would love to see it here at the very least.

Other than that though? PC Engine is kind of lacking in the racing department so I would love to see something like OutRun make it in.
Thanks, I didn't even know about Gain Ground! Sounds like an interesting version of the game.

This SX version is actually more of a sequel to the original game than a straight conversion of the arcade or Mega Drive versions. Gain Ground contains more stages that are now also larger in size, remastered CD music and a host of other new features that make it an even more compelling experience than it already was.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

I've always wanted more of those "3D" style racing games on pc engine. Somehow I've never been that impressed with the way NEC Avenue handled Outrun especially seeing what they did with Afterburner.

Final Lap Twin is great and so is S.C.I. which I think is my favourite 3D racing game for the system.

W6lPLg.gif

Victory Run is pretty decent and I wondered why Hudson Soft didn't make a sequel to this.

Not fond of the overhead racing games because I find them difficult to control but maybe F1 Circus 92 will be there....

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'll buy my cousin a PCE mini if it means he'll finally give me his PCE and games. 😛

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was in college in 1988-1990 and I owned the system and almost every game in the US. I also bought the CD attachment and remember showing as many people as possible the Ys opening cinematic.

My roommate and I worked a scam with Toys R Us and were able to buy every game. The scam was really original for that time.

Turbografx 16 is probably my top one/two systems of all-time.

I hope the game library increases... I also hope that the specs and emulation are top notch.

- Military Madness
- Blazing Lazers
- JJ and Jeff
- Devils Crush
- Super Star Soldier
- World Class Baseball

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect this but am very happy. This was probably the console I thought I would have to buy a framemeister or OSSC for. With Genesis, SNES, and NES already covered, now we wait for a Saturn mini. Hopefully that upcoming emulation box doesn't suck mega badly.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I was in college in 1988-1990 and I owned the system and almost every game in the US. I also bought the CD attachment and remember showing as many people as possible the Ys opening cinematic.

My roommate and I worked a scam with Toys R Us and were able to buy every game. The scam was really original for that time.

I hope the game library increases... I also hope that the specs and emulation are top notch.

- Military Madness
- Blazing Lazers
- JJ and Jeff
- Devils Crush
- Super Star Soldier
- World Class Baseball
My curiosity has been piqued. How did this scam of sorts play out to acquire every TG16 game?

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

- Military Madness
- Blazing Lazers
- JJ and Jeff
- Devils Crush
- Super Star Soldier
- World Class Baseball

I remember a kid moving into town (I lived deep in the southern boonies) from the market that had the TG16 (NY, LA, etc IIRC). His family was very well off as his dad was a geologist/surveyor/something to do with natural gas excavation. Anyway, point being, since he was from significantly larger cities and his family had the means to do so, when we met and he invited his new school friends over to his house we noticed that he had two game consoles that none of us had really never heard of.

Turbografx and a Neo Geo.

Only game I remember him having on the Turbografx was one of the Crush games.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My curiosity has been piqued. How did this scam of sorts play out to acquire every TG16 game?
I am not proud of it... I have nightmares maybe 1-2 times a year...

But we bought a game... took out the CD case with hu-card and instructions... placed an empty CD case with 4-5 pennies and some paper... and maybe a note all taped inside the CD case. Went to a PC store with a shrink wrap machine... wrapped the mint box and CD case with pennies...

In Illinois there were 4 Toys R Us all within an hour of school. We'd visit one and "I got this game for my birthday and wanted a different one"

They would either give us Geoffrey Bucks (Toys R Us) cash to use in store or told us to go get the other game ticket.

Rinse and repeat for over a year... we'd buy one or two more and return 1-3 games at a time... at one point we'd have 2-3 people returning games.

One day, I walked and the person was wearing a 'Shrink Saver' button. I used the birthday line and she starts opening the game wrap. I said you know what, I have the receipt in the car... and dashed... they finally figured out the scam and opened all games and would only even exchange for the same game.

Stupid... immature... no money... so 4 of us became thieves! But had almost ever single game on Turbografx 16... yes, I was a dirtbag!

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just to be clear there will be

No N64 Mini
No Saturn Mini
No Dreamcast Mini
No Playstation 2 Mini
No Gamecube Mini
No Xbox Mini

Basically if you can't comfortably emulate it on a Raspberry Pi it ain't happening

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna drop a few for now

Nexzr (1992) CD-Rom

Image Fight II (1992) - CD-Rom

Cho Aniki (1992) CD-Rom

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

No N64 Mini
No Saturn Mini
No Dreamcast Mini
No Playstation 2 Mini
No Gamecube Mini
No Xbox Mini

Basically if you can't comfortably emulate it on a Raspberry Pi it ain't happening
The system I'd love to see most, a Vectrex Mini, also definitely won't be happening.

It's such an interesting console thanks to its remarkable vector graphics, but creating a replica would surely be a costly endeavour. Also, the amount of people interested in such a device can probably be counted on one hand...

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The system I'd love to see most, a Vectrex Mini, also definitely won't be happening.

It's such an interesting console thanks to its remarkable vector graphics, but creating a replica would surely be a costly endeavour. Also, the amount of people interested in such a device can probably be counted on one hand...

Yeah shame they're so expensive on the used market

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No N64 Mini
No Saturn Mini
No Dreamcast Mini
No Playstation 2 Mini
No Gamecube Mini
No Xbox Mini

I reckon there might be in a year or two, the odroid n2 emulates a couple of those systems pretty well and that's not that expensive.
Things only advance so i reckon a n64 mini is doable in a year or so, possibly. Dreamcast and on maybe 5 years? if people still want minis then.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I reckon there might be in a year or two, the odroid n2 emulates a couple of those systems pretty well and that's not that expensive.
Things only advance so i reckon a n64 mini is doable in a year or so, possibly. Dreamcast and on maybe 5 years? if people still want minis then.

Yeah technology will inevitably catch up to where these systems can be done as cheaply as the systems we're seeing now, it'll just be a matter of whether or not there's any corporate will at that point

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I very, very much doubt that there's a complete working build of the game out there, but I would absolutely lose my shit if Space Fantasy Zone popped up.
Man, I never even thought of that. It would absolutely turn heads to see something like that show up!

If M2 is behind this (which I think is likely) they are EXACTLY the kind of crazy people that would be willing to complete that game I bet.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
PCE/TG16 is one of my favorite consoles of all-time but not sure how much I'd use this mini version since I already have a modded TG Express. Still, I'll probably get one anyways.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017

But we bought a game... took out the CD case with hu-card and instructions... placed an empty CD case with 4-5 pennies and some paper... and maybe a note all taped inside the CD case. Went to a PC store with a shrink wrap machine... wrapped the mint box and CD case with pennies...
Wouldn't say you were the first to do this. I know some people who did this back in those times with Super Nintendo games. Took some odd years before retailers caught on.

Initially, I thought you were going to talk about the trash bag trick employees used at TRU.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't say you were the first to do this. I know some people who did this back in those times in a different state. Took some odd years before retailers caught on.

You could say they did this before you because they were doing this with Super Nintendo games.

TG16 launched two years earlier than the SNES

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW

In Illinois there were 4 Toys R Us all within an hour of school. We'd visit one and "I got this game for my birthday and wanted a different one"

They would either give us Geoffrey Bucks (Toys R Us) cash to use in store or told us to go get the other game ticket.

Rinse and repeat for over a year... we'd buy one or two more and return 1-3 games at a time... at one point we'd have 2-3 people returning games.

One day, I walked and the person was wearing a 'Shrink Saver' button. I used the birthday line and she starts opening the game wrap. I said you know what, I have the receipt in the car... and dashed... they finally figured out the scam and opened all games and would only even exchange for the same game.

Stupid... immature... no money... so 4 of us became thieves! But had almost ever single game on Turbografx 16... yes, I was a dirtbag!

I didn't get this creative when I was a teenager but I did something similar.

Games were expensive....$50-60+ for SNES or TG16 games and not having much money and parents who hated video games because they were "works of the devil" means I had to figure out ways to get new games I wanted for free. So what my buddy and I did was play the game, beat it and then carefully damage the connectors on the cart/hu card so that when we took them back to the store(some places would actually test them) they would exchange the game for the same one but give us a new shrink-wrapped game. We then would take said new game to another store where we would give the story about how we got it as a birthday gift and already had it or wanted something else and we would be allowed to exchange it for a different game.

Of course looking back on this now it was totally stupid and I regret doing it but I was teenager and did alot of stupid shit.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I totally understand the outrage that some of you have but they'd be insane to leave Bonk and Castlevania out of the TG16 mini in the US. Once again, I'm assuming they will be included.

Am I just being naive?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I totally understand the outrage that some of you have but they'd be insane to leave Bonk and Castlevania out of the TG16 mini in the US. Once again, I'm assuming they will be included.

Am I just being naive?

They'll be there.

This system outsold the Genesis in Japan. It's way more popular than Silent Hill.

People lack historical context.

Don't understand why a dude with a Landstalker avatar would even be mad over this decision.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Some of it's features:

"The consoles have a system-level quick save feature, various display modes - including a retro CRT TV look - and support for four other pads if you buy a separate multitap plug-in adaptor."

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

That was interesting. I'd never heard of someone doing that. Though, my friend tried to get his hands on free games via renting them... until he realized he needed a credit card to rent. Nelsonhaha.gif
Yeah its japan exclusive, not sure why people aren't pissed.
And things like this are exactly why hacking the system is so popular.
What troubles me is that big K is taking suggestions on the titles... makes me feel like this hasn't been thoroughly planned out and might be more like PSC than SNESc.